• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe the Brawl engine only applies to physics, hitstun, etc.... completely different from character models/data?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Given that Sakurai has to recreate characters from past Smash games for SSB4, it would mean that it's not just copying/pasting the Melee/Brawl data... not only that, but newcomers have to be created from scratch as well... so I think that veterans and newcomers will get in based on priority within the time constraints. Of course, the "no-cuts" crowd will want Sakurai and Namco to give first priority to veterans before they start working on newcomers but it's apparently not happening here.

Yeah if anything, clones will just become low priority as they did in Melee and Brawl again, and of course I'm referring to the likes of Toon Link (or any second Link really) and most of the forbidden seven and other potential characters who are not Mewtwo and maybe Dixie Kong.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
For example the fact that you have a Prince Sable Profile pic says to me you only say he will be in and defend him because you like Prince Sable.
Didn't read this part, but he's another retro I want for Smash, he can represent the Gameboy era well enough while having a unique moveset (Despite not being universally known.)

D

Deleted member

But... in Smashville they were the same characters, just in different outfits. Spirit Tracks Link is a different character entirely from Wind Waker Link, even if they look the same. If they were both on the stage at once, it would still be two different characters. It's still a fine point.
So every Villager is the same Villager?
This point only works against Nook.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't even know you, and I'm no troll, there's a difference between trolling and being biased...

Nah I didn't mean it like that. Falkoopa was just implying that you were probably just talking to annoy us. Thus I replied that if you really just did this just to try and get a rise out of us then its best that I would just drop the discussion altogether instead of wasting my time trying to debate with you.

If you are cool with debating about this then I'm cool with doing so with you. ;) If not then whatever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, sadly Ike-Sama isn't trolling. :p
Didn't read this part, but he's another retro I want for Smash, he can represent the Gameboy era well enough while having a unique moveset (Despite not being universally known.)
The closest Sable will ever come to being a playable character was when he was on that terrible fake Universe roster. :rolleyes:
So every Villager is the same Villager?
This point only works against Nook.
Right, so the point still works...

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Nah I didn't mean it like that. Falkoopa was just implying that you were probably just talking to piss us off. Thus I replied that if you really just did this just to try and get a rise out of us then its best that I would just drop the discussion altogether instead of wasting my time trying to debate with you.

If you are cool with debating about this then I'm cool with doing so with you. ;)
It's cool, but debating takes out a lot of energy from me, TBH I don't care for any other character at this point, I'm all for Ike, but I kinda now understand people enjoying to play a character, and if me talking about Toon Link cut upsets you consider it dropped :) .....

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, sadly Ike-Sama isn't trolling. :p

The closest Sable will ever come to being a playable character was when he was on that terrible fake Universe roster. :rolleyes:

Let's say in the situation in which Gameboy games were only represented with characters and not NES games since the days of Melee.
Wouldn't you feel that NES was left out gone.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's cool, but debating takes out a lot of energy from me, TBH I don't care for any other character at this point, I'm all for Ike, but I kinda now understand people enjoying to play a character, and if me talking about Toon Link cut upsets you consider it dropped :) .....

Nah it doesn't upset me at all. Believe me, I totally understand that Toon Link isn't one of the more likely characters to return. I realize that and I'm not going to sit there in denial since that's just asking for disappointment. And I know that there are a number of things going against him. (Such as another child Link taking his place or the Zelda cast getting dropped by one rep ending up with only 3 spots etc) I just don't believe in the Spirit Train argument and that it somehow guarantees him to be cut. That's all. :)

We're cool now. ;)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@BluePikmin
But hey we've already got 5 GameBoy reps in Brawl itself. (Gen I Pokémon) :troll:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
In terms of a Gameboy rep, my preference has always been Muddy Mole.

D

Deleted member

Logic not detected.
Neither Nook nor Villager are playable within Brawl, despite there being more than one Villager.

How does the "different Link" excuse make sense then?

The C. Falcon excuse works better because while he doesn't make a visible on-screen appearance, there is literally no possible alternative to it being him driving the Blue Falcon on the course.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let's say in the situation in which Gameboy games were only represented with characters and not NES games since the days of Melee.
Wouldn't you feel that NES was left out gone.
So the retros had to be from Gameboy games instead of NES games? That'd be a little weird, and it wouldn't be something Sakurai would do... (since he doesn't pick retro characters because they're NES characters, he picks them because they're from that time period, so Gameboy characters are still eligible as well - it's not like we have an NES rep), but Sable still wouldn't get in over Muddy Mole, or probably even Alice (if Balloon Fighter couldn't be chosen). But yeah, in that situation the NES would be left out. But so would every system other than the Gameboy, so even though it would still be weird the Gameboy got a rep, it wouldn't cause me to demand an NES rep and make up categories for character inclusion.

Again, there is no Gameboy rep, there is no NES rep. There is only a retro rep, and Sable is fairly far down on the list of likelihood, no matter how much you want to see him, and no matter how much potential you think he has (because, guess what, other retro characters have potential too).

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
My prediction:

Super Mario:

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Toad/Bowser Jr.

Legend of Zelda:

Link
Zelda and Impa
Ganondorf/Demise
Ghirahim+Demise as FS/Ghirahim

Pokemon:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
MewTwo

Kirby:

Kirby
Meta Knight
King DeDeDe

Kid Icarus:

Pit
Palutena/Medusa/Hades

Donkey Kong:

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong+Dixie Kong

Metroid:

Samus

Fire Emblem:

Marth
Ike
Chrom

Star Fox:

Fox
Falco/Wolf
Krystal

Earthbound:

Ness/Lucas

Miscellaneous:

Shulk
Takamaru
Wii Fit Trainer
Villager (AC)
Little Mac
Isaac
Saki

Third Party:

Mega Man
Bayonetta/Sonic/both

It's the most pessimistic but to me it's the most realistic.....

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Some sword users that I think are more interesting than Chrom and that haven't appeared in Brawl:

Takamaru
Roy
Lyn
Anna
Prince Sable
Shulk
Isaac

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
See Roy is as bland as Chrom...having 3 blue haired swordsmen creates a really nice trend and character for the Fire Emblem franchise...
Roy has a flame sword. That is enough to be not as bland as Chrom.

I was talking about moveset potential when I made the list.

Let's not forget Lloyd, Goroh, Olivia, and Eliwood seeing as he's almost a carbon-copy of Roy.
Those aren't bad either.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If only Frost, if only... :c
I know, but hey, even if she doesn't appear in SSB4, we can hope that Anna becomes more popular with possible next titles. If she becomes more important and more recurring in the next FE titles, she could gain popularity and a possible Smash Bros. appearance as playable.

I can dream. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know, but hey, even if she doesn't appear in SSB4, we can hope that Anna becomes more popular with possible next titles. If she becomes more important and more recurring in the next FE titles, she could gain popularity and a possible Smash Bros. appearance as playable.

I can dream. :p

Yeah, I guess this game may not be her time yet. She may need some more games like Fire Emblem Awakening where she can be a playable unit and maybe a bit more important to the overall story than just the DLC chapters. And hopefully gain some more popularity and fan requests for Smash Bros. If Anna was in, that would be the best thing ever. She was so awesome in Fire Emblem Awakening. But oh well, at least lets hope first that she becomes playable in future Fire Emblem titles before expecting her to be playable in Smash Bros. We gotta take baby steps first after all. ^_^

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's not forget Lloyd, Goroh, Olivia, and Eliwood seeing as he's almost a carbon-copy of Roy.
If you mean Olivia from Awakening, which I think you do, that'd be awesome. Having a Dancer in Smash could provide an interesting flair when combined with the Sword moves.

That, and it would be so funny to see Lethality as her Final Smash. :awesome:

Too bad she's so unlikely. :(

EDIT: I like that Anna avatar, Kikwi.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Thank you Opposum! ^_^ I wanted a new avatar since my previous one was too badly photoshopped by me so I wanted something related to Anna. I couldn't decide between this one or this one, really.

Buuuuut that's just off-topic drivel by me. Let's get back to the roster discussion, anyway. ^^;

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Some sword users that I think are more interesting than Chrom and that haven't appeared in Brawl:

Takamaru
Roy
Lyn
Anna
Prince Sable
Shulk
Isaac

Even though Chrom is cool, I agree. At the very least I can see Shulk and Isaac being very unique.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Logic not detected.
Neither Nook nor Villager are playable within Brawl, despite there being more than one Villager.

How does the "different Link" excuse make sense then?

The C. Falcon excuse works better because while he doesn't make a visible on-screen appearance, there is literally no possible alternative to it being him driving the Blue Falcon on the course.
I never said the different Link "excuse" was the same as Smashville example, if anything, I showed how they were different. I just said, as they are two different Links, both of them existing on the same stage at the same time makes sense. More sense than two Captain Falcons existing at once, yet clearly that's possible in Smash as well.

You are the one who said the different Link excuse and the AC example were the same. I said they weren't. You were the one who compared a background Tom Nook to a playable Tom Nook, stating it was the same as a background ST Link to a playable WW Link, which it isn't. The Tom Nooks are analogous to your Captain Falcon example, but are different than the Link one, as the Links are different characters. That's how my point still works.

Lastly, it might be similar to compare them to the Villager, granted, as there can be more than one Villager, but arguing for the inclusion of the character (which people did with Villager and Smashville) is very different than trying to prove the removal of a character (which is what people are doing now with the Links). Even though Villager was in the background last time, he still could've been made playable as well, just like how both Links can show up at the same time, as they are all different characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, I just don't see why the Link of Wind Waker can't coexist with the one of Spirit Track's. Their two different people. Twilight Princess Link can, why not Wind Waker Link? Is it because of the design? Well Spirit Track's Link is wearing his Train Engineer's outfit and looks very under detailed graphically. Wind Waker Link would obviously look more like he did in Wind Waker and Brawl than the DS Zelda's if her were playable, plus he would definitely be wearing the Green tunic as well... Not to mention he would get covered in this black outline thing that the 3DS version has going.

I have yet to hear a very good reason why it's so impossible for the Link of Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass to coexist with the Link of Spirit Track's... :/

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
See Roy is as bland as Chrom...having 3 blue haired swordsmen creates a really nice trend and character for the Fire Emblem franchise...
How is Roy as bland as Chrom!?!? He has an energetic and angry personality and his sword generates flames, and he looks like this

Yeah, I guess this game may not be her time yet. She may need some more games like Fire Emblem Awakening where she can be a playable unit and maybe a bit more important to the overall story than just the DLC chapters. And hopefully gain some more popularity and fan requests for Smash Bros. If Anna was in, that would be the best thing ever. She was so awesome in Fire Emblem Awakening. But oh well, at least lets hope first that she becomes playable in future Fire Emblem titles before expecting her to be playable in Smash Bros. We gotta take baby steps first after all. ^_^
I disagree because the're are plent of more preffered FE reps.

In terms of a Gameboy rep, my preference has always been Muddy Mole.
We don't HAVE to have a Gameboy rep, and if we did Prince Sable would be over Muddy Mole. But, that doesn't change that neither of them will be playable.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
If you mean Olivia from Awakening, which I think you do, that'd be awesome. Having a Dancer in Smash could provide an interesting flair when combined with the Sword moves.

That, and it would be so funny to see Lethality as her Final Smash. :awesome:

Too bad she's so unlikely. :(

I CAN FIGHT TOO! STOP STARING!

Untitled.png

I had to make sure Chrom avoided every woman like the plague until Chapter 11 but at that point he's been with Fredrick for so long they might as well have gotten married and lived happily ever after. Thankfully Olivia was able to lap-dance her way into marriage before Fredrick could do anything about it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
6/20/2013 NOTE: I'M ONLY RE POSTING THIS BECAUSE IT WAS OVERLOOKED BY SOME DUE TO A DISTRACTING OFF TOPIC CONVERSATION ON THE THREAD

My ALL NEW Roster!!!

Details:

Ninten - Most of you will disagree on this, and that's totally understandable. But, the reason I have him in is because we have the main protagonist of Mother 2 & 3 I think Sakurai will decide to reboot Ninten, give him a new look and add him to the roster. Other characters have been rebooted from the NES. Pit, Ice Climbers, Takamaru. Luigi use to look more like Mario than Ninten looked like Ness. and look at Roy's new look. Plus Ninten can have his own moves given the variety of PSI powers in the series. PK Beam, Hypnosis, Teleport, Ground, Brainshock, Counter. I consider it to be the next logical step.

Starfy- Starfy has become a recurring Nintendo character and has even had a game released in the west. He has a lot of potential in terms of moves as well. I'd honestly be surprised if he wasn't in SSB4.

Matthew- I think Matthew will get in over Issac for a number of reasons. Dark Dawn was the most recent Golden Sun installment. Most people say he's not a likely character at all and that Issac will no doubt be in his place. Well, Issac being the one is just as likely so don't take the choice of Matthew too personally. When SSB64 came out there were 2 Mother games. Both of their main protagonists were pretty much identical and the same, so logically they just went with the more recent one, plus Mother 2 was the only one released in the west. Although Issac appeared in all 3 titles (even though he was not the main of the third.) and they sold more and had better reception I don't consider Golden Sun to be popular enough for it to really matter which one they choose. And so I put Matthew in the roster because he's more modern and put Issac in the Alt. Choices section as he could just as well be in the game instead. A lot of characters will get in for being more recent. Much like Lucario, Lucas, Ike, and Toon Link.

Eirika- I think if Fire Emblem gets 4 reps that at least one of them will be a female hero. There are a lot of females in the series that fans enjoy. I believe that since Eirika is the only one who is a main character that she will make it in. But, we might just get 3 FE reps. If Eirika gets in it's possible she may be a Marth semi-clone, but she has her own uniqueness.

Sheriff- You can't really blame anyone for having him or not having him. He was the first Nintendo game and would be the first Arcade rep in the series (Not counting Mario Bros & DK) He could have a lot of moveset potential as well. I think he's very likely as a retro rep and seems to be a fairly popular candidate.

Shulk- I can't imagine him not being in the game. He would make SUCH a great fighter, and Xenoblade Chronicles was such a big hit. Monolith Soft is even coming out with a new video game for Wii U. Plus it's important that we have a character from a new Nintendo series. I say he's another guaranteed character.

Ridley- I still think it'd be akward and I think a bounty hunter is more likely (nobody's gonna agree with that.) I think Ridley is gonna get in because EVERYBODY wants him. There is so much demand for him. I still don't see it. Although he works better as a boss, he's probably gonna happen.

Newtwo- Not only would we have a new X & Y rep, we'd also be bringing back Mewtwo! One of the two characters people want most in SSB. And Sakurai wouldn't have to bring back an already removed character. If he gets new moves that will be awesome or at least if they get rid of Confusion. Again I say he is guaranteed.

Chrom- My concern is that there isn't really anything unique to him. He has the same sword of Marth, similar look, and is a descendent of him. If he had his own elemental sword attacks like Roy and his fire that would help. But, I'm sure Sakurai can think of a moveset for him. Is he guaranteed? Probably.

Takamaru- he is pretty much the most likely retro rep. He seemed popular enough to get into Nintendo Land and since people in the west know who he is that adds onto it because he's already popular in Japan.

Little Mac- Another almost guaranteed retro rep. It may be hard coming up with neutral moves that are all fist oriented, but it's not impossible.

Bomberman- Bomberman has only 1 single reason not to be in SSB. Because he was bought out by Konami. But Konami hasn't made any Bomberman titles since and didn't invent bomberman. They just own the rights to him. Bomberman has more of a history with Nintendo than Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man combined. So much he is often mistaken for a Nintendo character himself. He appeared in Nintendo comics, he appeared alongside Wario in a game, he originated on NES and is one of the most famous game characters ever. I think he is the most likely Third-Part rep.

King K. Rool- He's definitely gonna be in it. He's famous, has tons of moves, is the main antagonist of the DK series, and everyone seems to want him. Not appearing in Return & Tropical Freeze doesn't really mean anything.

Paper Mario- Bowser Jr. is just as likely, and if anybody even mentions him in their roster it should count because it's such an obvious choice. I put Paper Mario because I think he is just as likely. I also think there should be a Mario persona and Paper Mario is a requested character with a lot of moves. It's either him, Junior, or Toad.

Alternate Choices

Leif (Fire Emblem Series)- Leif appeared in 2 Fire Emblem games on Super Famicom. He seems fairly popular in the FE universe too. The assumption would be that he is a Marth semi-clone and that he uses the element of light with his sword attacks similar to how Roy uses the element of Fire. I guess in SSB it would be translated into Electricity. But, since he looks a lot like Marth and everybody would clearly want Roy instead (which is a better choice.) I did not add him in my roster.

Roy- Roy has been given a new badass look, now people want him more than ever and next to Mewtwo is the most requested character to return. He was a great idea then and people still love him today. I did not include him in my roster because I don't feel I'll be blamed if he appears and I don't have him. I think if Sakurai DOES do DLC he would be a great choice. He better return.

Sylux- I was going to have Sylux in my roster. I had him in the others. But, everybody wants Ridley and he is the most requested. I think it makes more sense to add a Bounty Hunter and keep Ridley a boss. People say it's kind of random, but he's kind of like the Wolf of SSB4. And Sylux does stand out more than the others. He has more of a hatred for Samus and appeared in more games.

Poke'mon Trainer B- If they add a 5th Poke'mon character I think it will be a second Poke'mon Trainer from either Gold/Silver or X/Y. The one in the roster is depicted as Gold/Silver with Totodile, Bayleef, and Typloshion. Plus it would give us an extra 3 Poke'mon. Plus there are so many trainers and pokemon we'd be getting more of both.

Issac- Again, may take the place of Mattew.

Skull Kid- I also believe he will be the 5th Zelda rep if we have one. Majora's Mask is remembered by everyone (and for good reason :urg: ). It is one of the most popular Zelda games ever and always will be. It doesn't really matter if it came out that long ago.

Snake- Will he return? I have no idea.

Paulatena- Paulatena actually works because even though she is a godess, in the Kid Icarus promotional anime short it shows she isn't all powerful. She was overrun by a herd of Carrots. But, I don't have her because even though it's Sakurai I don't see why Kid Icarus needs more reps. Pit seems okay on his own. But, she is a good idea for a rep so I put her in alternate choices.

Bowser Jr.- It's a fight between him and Paper Mario, and Toad is in the background hoping.

Dry Bowser- Activated through Final Smash. Whether it will just be for show or have his own moves I do not know. I consider this a guaranteed form.

Sonic- Unlike Snake it's kind of hard to imagine him not being in SSB after he appeared in brawl. Now that I think about if Bomberman appeared that would kind of make up for it. Maybe Bomberman will replace Snake?

Other Possibilities

9-Volt: He owns several Video Game peripherals. He would make a good fighter.

Metal Mario- A special character you can only get after achieving something great in the game after you have all other characters

So those are all the characters I predict. I'd love to hear feedback. If you have some problems with some character like Sylux or Ninten that's totally understandable. I'd love to hear what you like or have suggestions for. :colorful:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I thought your avatar picture was very pretty. What is her role in fire emblem?

She is the most recurring character in the Fire Emblem series having appeared in every single game in the series except for Fire Emblem gaiden. Many Fire Emblem fans consider her to be an unofficial mascot of the series, especially in Japan.

She used to be only a merchant, a character who shows up when you suspend the game or gives you tutorials in some games as they vary but IS had promoted her into a playable unit in Fire Emblem Awakening as well as her playing quite a big role in the Outrealm chapters. She is one of my favourite characters as I love her personality and her fighting style is one of my favourites, she saved me dozens of times through some tough battles throughout the game. I think she's an awesome character. But that's just my opinion really. ^^;

I'm not sure if she has a realistic chance in this Smash Wii U and 3DS games but I think her chances can increase if she gets more games that expand upon what they did for her in Fire Emblem Awakening and if she gains some more popularity from fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom