• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll throw in my roster. See what people make of it.Some of my picks leave room for change, but I think character count will be close to this.

1. Vaati isn't going to make it, let alone over TL
2. There's no way Lucas will be cut for Claus. They're not going to cut the protagonist of the game to add a supporting character. Let alone one from seven years ago.
3. Why are you splitting up ZSS and Samus if the other two transformation characters also aren't being split?
4. FE, but I have no energy to talk about that damn series any more.
5. Unlikely Sega would opt for Classic Sonic.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'll throw in my roster. See what people make of it.Some of my picks leave room for change, but I think character count will be close to this.
So you prefer classic Sonic? Meh
Masked Man is a good replacement, but not too sure if Sakurai would put him over Lucas.
Paper Mario is fine, Vaati is fine, But quite unlikely to replace Toon Link. The rest is good.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I really don't care about how Iconic he is, I really hate clones...
Regardless of your bias, Ganondorf has a much higher chance of returning than Ike. You can't argue against that.

Ganondorf is much more recognized than Ike. Ganondorf (or Ganon) is the main villain of most Zelda games, while Ike is the protagonist in only two FE games. You can't argue against these facts. Ganondorf is to Zelda as Bowser is to Mario.

Being iconic plays a big factor when it comes to character selection, regardless of cloned movesets or your hatred of clones.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Umm, bruh, the protagonist comes before the villian.

*cough*Vaati and Masked Man*cough*
That's what I meant by saying that my picks left room for change. I saw them as reasonable replacements to their predecessors (Toon Link/Lucas) that could add more variety but still representing the same game/franchise. However, I could very easily replace Masked Man with Mii, and Vaati by uhm, anyone really.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The potential doesn't help the likelihood? Nor does the recentness matter?
Potential doesn't outweigh importance or impact, which Isaac, Saki, and Starfy have in spades over a character who's game hasn't even released yet. Considering that really every character does have potential (though some have more to work with in the way of being unique), they all sort of cancel each other out in that point.

And correct, recentness plays no effect on unrepresented series, Sakurai goes for the biggest/most popular ones with feasible fighters, not the most recent.

Platinum Games has already released a statement a while back that they are sick and tired of people asking for there characters in the game, specifically Bayonetta.
I believe it was referring specifically to Bayonetta. And even if it was in general, it technically doesn't deconfirm Platinum's involvement, at least with W101. Though a W101 playable character is not likely to happen.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
1. Vaati isn't going to make it, let alone over TL
2. There's no way Lucas will be cut for Claus. They're not going to cut the protagonist of the game to add a supporting character. Let alone one from seven years ago.
3. Why are you splitting up ZSS and Samus if the other two transformation characters also aren't being split?
4. FE, but I have no energy to talk about that damn series any more.
5. Unlikely Sega would opt for Classic Sonic.
1. This one, I don't expect to happen but I would like that it did.
2. Eh, not really a Mother expert, just wanted to replace Lucas for someone who seemed interesting.
3. Because the transformation for Zelda and Pokemon Trainer are part of their moveset, while ZZS isn't.
4. Really don't care about it, just made a prediction.
5. Oh, I just put the first Sonic pick that I found, no preference over which version really.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Regardless of your bias, Ganondorf has a much higher chance of returning than Ike. You can't argue against that.

Ganondorf is much more recognized than Ike. Ganondorf (or Ganon) is the main villain of most Zelda games, while Ike is the protagonist in only two FE games. You can't argue against these facts. Ganondorf is to Zelda as Bowser is to Mario.

Being iconic plays a big factor when it comes to character selection, regardless of cloned movesets or your hatred of clones.
Ok let's say Ganondorf now has his own moves (so he won't be cut), what about Toon Link,Falco and Wolf ? seriously those 3 are such a wast of space (specially Toon Link),and seriously Spirit Track stage had Toon Link in the freaking stage, the chances Toon Link coming back is now way lower...

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i will say that Classic Sonic is a lot better than Modern. but thats subjective as i really hate the Sonic games after Adventures

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
1. This one, I don't expect to happen but I would like that it did.
2. Eh, not really a Mother expert, just wanted to replace Lucas for someone who seemed interesting.
3. Because the transformation for Zelda and Pokemon Trainer are part of their moveset, while ZZS isn't.
4. Really don't care about it, just made a prediction.
5. Oh, I just put the first Sonic pick that I found, no preference over which version really.
1. I see. Well, is this a prediction roster or a wishlist roster?
2. Yeah, but that'd be like cutting Marth to add Caeda. The protagonist isn't going to be replaced with a supporting character from that same game.
3. But unless Sakurai ran into problems, he wouldn't likely split them up at this point, and if he did, that would also effect the other two as well.
4. K. I can't wait for the FE conversations to end. Please have mercy Sakurai! :laugh:
5. Ah, well ok then. ;)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ok let's say Ganondorf now has his own moves (so he won't be cut), what about Toon Link,Falco and Wolf ? seriously those 3 are such a wast of space (specially Toon Link),and seriously Spirit Track stage had Toon Link in the freaking stage, the chances Toon Link coming back is now way lower...
Starfox is a big franchise, the cuts won't be because they are just a waste of space.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
In Brawl's roster, no character was a waste of space.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Not this again... :facepalm:

How many times do I have to repeat myself? That stage means nothing unless Sakurai actually confirms it himself that this means that Toon Link is cut. For now we can't do anything but wait until the full roster is revealed. And even if this means that Toon Link is cut, what is stopping him from bringing back Young Link or include Classic Link and have the same clone song played all over again? :glare:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
clones really arent a waste of space. at least not with the clones we have right now. Pichu and Doc Mario in Melee, those were wastes. Falco and Wolf, deserve to be playable. they wont get dropped because of being semi-clones.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Falco and Wolf are important to the Star Fox series and have a good amount of fans that would be displeased. Also, Wolf is not a clone, since he only has 5 moves in common with Fox, those being the special moves. Wolf's normal moves, aerial moves, Smash attacks and throws are completely different from Fox's.

Given that he had changes from Melee to Brawl and how Sakurai has drastically changed Bowser this time, I believe Falco will have a more distinguished moveset. I don't think Falco will be cut, since he's popular.

Toon Link is the likeliest to be cut, but even so, he could be back, since the Link on the Spirit Tracks stage is not the same as Toon Link, who's Wind Waker Link. Yes, they look similar, but they are different entities nevertheless. A similar thing happens in Brawl with the 75 m stage with the arcade Donkey Kong, (AKA Cranky Kong).

Sakurai is also trying to bring all veteran characters back, having explicitly stated that cuts will only happen if they don't have enough time to finish the roster. I agree that Toon Link will likely be among the lower priorities, thus lowering his chances to be cut.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This sounds an awful lot like pre-Brawl mentality. And look what happened, we still got a clone Ganondorf, Falco, and a cloned Link. Just because they're clones... (semi-clones now) doesn't mean they'll be cut.

And ST Link isn't the same as WW Link.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So you prefer classic Sonic? Meh
Masked Man is a good replacement, but not too sure if Sakurai would put him over Lucas.
Paper Mario is fine, Vaati is fine, But quite unlikely to replace Toon Link. The rest is good.
What's to not be too sure about. He would never replace the main character.

ANNOUNCEMENT: SAKURAI WILL NOT REMOVE CHARACTERS TO APPEAL TO CLONE NAZIS!

Thank you.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
In a potential aspect I'm ok with that.
You need to know the difference between the characters you predict and the characters you WANT.

For example the fact that you have a Prince Sable Profile pic says to me you only say he will be in and defend him because you like Prince Sable.

D

Deleted member

I know I'm one to not want cuts, but I'm not using the "different Link" argument for the Spirit Tracks stage.

Why?
It's the same exact argument people were giving in regards to an Animal Crossing character pre-Brawl.
"Oh, the playable Villager could just have a different appearance"
"Ah, but Tom Nook isn't in his signature blue apron; he could still be playable wearing that while his cameo disappears if he's fighting on Smashville"
etc.

A better argument would be the fact that Captain Falcon is both playable AND racing on the Mute City, Big Blue, and Port Town Aero Dive stages in his Blue Falcon.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.”
“Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.”
“So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.” - Masahiro Sakurai

source:http://www.nowgamer.com/news/197055...t_have_time_to_bring_all_characters_back.html

Now cuts are inevitable.....Toon Link I'm looking at you :troll:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.”
“Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.”
“So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.” - Masahiro Sakurai

source:http://www.nowgamer.com/news/197055...t_have_time_to_bring_all_characters_back.html

He's working hard to not cut anyone.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The difference is thought that Tom Nook is the exact same person, Golden. The Toon Link in Brawl is the specific one from Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass as the trophy and everything else about him clearly states. Wind Waker Link and Spirit Track's Link are not the same person. As for the Villager, Sakurai wasn't sure if he wanted to include an Animal Crossing protagonist at the time, thus he resorted only to a stage in Brawl.

In fact, the Link from Spirit Tracks isn't even called Toon Link, neither is the Link from Wind Waker, it's a nickname given to differentiate the Link from Wind Waker from the Link of Twilight Princess as Young Link was from Adult Link in Melee. Heck Miyamoto prefers to call Toon Link, Cat-Eyed Link. You can just as well say that the Link from Spirit Track's appearance would mean that it deconfirms Link but of course that sounds ridiculous and stupid. (Especially since he has been already confirmed and he would never be cut anyway) Regardless of the nickname given. The nickname Toon Link is specifically given to the Link from Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass and not any other Link who shares his design, It's only done so by the fans. Thus the Link from the Wind Waker still has a chance of returning unless confirmed otherwise by Sakurai.

But yeah, the Captain Falcon argument is pretty good. Can't believe I didn't think of that. ^^;

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know I'm one to not want cuts, but I'm not using the "different Link" argument for the Spirit Tracks stage.

Why?
It's the same exact argument people were giving in regards to an Animal Crossing character pre-Brawl.
"Oh, the playable Villager could just have a different appearance"
"Ah, but Tom Nook isn't in his signature blue apron; he could still be playable wearing that while his cameo disappears if he's fighting on Smashville"
etc.

A better argument would be the fact that Captain Falcon is both playable AND racing on the Mute City, Big Blue, and Port Town Aero Dive stages in his Blue Falcon.
But... in Smashville they were the same characters, just in different outfits. Spirit Tracks Link is a different character entirely from Wind Waker Link, even if they look the same. If they were both on the stage at once, it would still be two different characters. It's still a fine point.

But yeah, the F-Zero one works too, though it's not the same thing.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can't believe I didn't remind of this before. :laugh:

That pretty much crumbles the Toon Link argument to dust.

Sakurai quote

Way to take a quote and misinterpret it. Stay classy. :glare:

Sakurai is stating that cuts may happen due to time constraints. He's not guaranteeing cuts in anyway. He's alerting to the fact it MAY happen, but that he's working hard to bring everyone back.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wait, so isn't Sakurai cutting characters due to time restrainst EVERY REASON TO HAVE DLC!?!?!?!?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm sure Ike-Sama is trying to piss off me and/or Kikwi-Kiwi. Now, if I make a joke of Ike being cut, it will immediatiely set him off. :smirk:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just because there's no DLC planned now doesn't mean there won't be DLC later. DLC really shouldn't be planned this early in development anyway, it's extra content. How Sakurai is doing it is the best way anyway, and how DLC really should happen, as content secondary and not crucial to the main game, planned later to give priority and precedence to making the actual basic game as good as it can be, without specifically planning to exclude content for the purpose of gauging consumers later.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm tired of game developers not listening to the Clone Nazi demographic.
Because it's stupid. It's a minority of whining people who don't care WHO the character is as long as they are 100% different from everyone else. Semi-clones are a tradition in SSB by the way. It started in the first game. Melee went overboard which is why several were removed, but Brawl had just the right amount and with characters that should be semi-clones. They were characters that should be in the game regardless.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lucas and Wolf are semi-clones at best, sharing only similar special attacks, but having entirely different moves with different proprieties in the rest of their movesets, discounting Lucas's forward Smash, which is similar to Ness's

Sharing similar Special Moves =/= full fledged clones. Disregarding specials, they have different movesets.

Wait, so isn't Sakurai cutting characters due to time restrainst EVERY REASON TO HAVE DLC!?!?!?!?
DLC? Well, Sakurai hasn't denied that possibility, so it may happen.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Given that Sakurai has to recreate characters from past Smash games for SSB4, it would mean that it's not just copying/pasting the Melee/Brawl data... not only that, but newcomers have to be created from scratch as well... so I think that veterans and newcomers will get in based on priority within the time constraints. Of course, the "no-cuts" crowd will want Sakurai and Namco to give first priority to veterans before they start working on newcomers but it's apparently not happening here.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Given that Sakurai has to recreate characters from past Smash games for SSB4, it would mean that it's not just copying/pasting the Melee/Brawl data... not only that, but newcomers have to be created from scratch as well... so I think that veterans and newcomers will get in based on priority within the time constraints. Of course, the "no-cuts" crowd will want Sakurai and Namco to give first priority to veterans before they start working on newcomers but it's apparently not happening here.
I heard they were importing the Brawl engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom