• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Fiddlesticks! I was getting excited for updates. Oh well.

I'm really just kind of hoping we can all just stop the nonsense with the arguing. It's just annoying and not constructive for anything.

So here's a question to propose. There are currently 5 swordsmen in Smash Bros. (Ike, Marth, Meta Knight, Link, and Toon Link). Assuming those 5 stay, what might this mean for incoming newcomers that will likely use swords? Those possibly being Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, etc... Does this hurt their chances?
I don't think it will hurt there chances.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Going back to the Shulk topic from earlier, I think (as weird of a reason it is), he's chances are decent still because of project rainfall, should Nintendo and Sakurai choose to acknowledge the project. Should they do so, they know that we have a very popular character over here who will be welcomed with open arms by most players. I've never played Xenoblade, so I'm not quite sure what Shulk could do to differentiate himself from other swordsman. But if he can be unique, then I see why he can't have a fair shot. Just because the new Monolith game isn't starring him doesn't mean he's not coming back. Relevancy may help, but it's not a "be all end all" factor.

Plus Xenoblade music is the best, so I'd at least like that at minimum. :p

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
So here's a question to propose. There are currently 5 swordsmen in Smash Bros. (Ike, Marth, Meta Knight, Link, and Toon Link). Assuming those 5 stay, what might this mean for incoming newcomers that will likely use swords? Those possibly being Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, etc... Does this hurt their chances?
Only if the sword is the only way they fight, and even that's not a huge barrier. Just consider how different Ike and Marth are despite both being dedicated swordsmen. If the character is worth the effort, they'll make it unique, and knowing characters like Isaac and Shulk, making them unique shouldn't be difficult at all.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Only if the sword is the only way they fight, and even that's not a huge barrier. Just consider how different Ike and Marth are despite both being dedicated swordsmen. If the character is worth the effort, they'll make it unique, and knowing characters like Isaac and Shulk, making them unique shouldn't be difficult at all.

Nice to be hopeful. Seeing what Sakurai did with Fox/Falco/Wolf, I am not so sure. He is original, but he does have his limits on things. FE characters will suffer the same fate.
Issac and Shulk will not though. They have other moves aside from the sword.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, Sakurai did say that he wouldn't update as much with this dojo as he did with Brawl's. But I wouldn't say that character update will be barren, less likley? Yes. But I can see like 1-4 characters being seen depending on the event. Like maybe a new character every 1 or 2 months, while we could get 3 or 4 at a special event like the Tokyo Game Show or Gamescon or something along those lines. But maybe I'm a little too optimistic about that.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Well, Sakurai did say that he wouldn't update as much with this dojo as he did with Brawl's. But I wouldn't say that character update will be barren, less likley? Yes. But I can see like 1-4 characters being seen depending on the event. Like maybe a new character every 1 or 2 months, while we could get 3 or 4 at a special event like the Tokyo Game Show or Gamescon or something along those lines. But maybe I'm a little too optimistic about that.

He will update random pictures as he pleases and then one day. BOOM. important info and a new character in the daily image. That is about it. 1 a month after the TGS.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Only Chrom will really pressed in that regard. Takamaru and Shulk will be fine. Isaac may or may not be hard pressed depending on how he's handled, ether being more focused on Psynergy combat or more focused on swordplay.

I will say that people do exaggerate how unoriginal a swordsman is...

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Only Chrom will really pressed in that regard. Takamaru and Shulk will be fine. Isaac may or may not be hard pressed depending on how he's handled, ether being more focused on Psynergy combat or more focused on swordplay.

FE characters with no special powers will be similar.

Issac has his hand thing. He can use that to mix up his sword attacks.
Takamaru has a few things up his sleeves, but I cannot remember them now.
Shulk also.

So it depends on Sakurai and how he does it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Anybody have any comments on my new roster?

Yeah, Takamaru could use awesome things like Shurikens, Invisibility, and Could have a Sword that generates flames like Roy. Matthew/Issac use Psynergy, and Skulk has too much to list. I've said before Chrom is the only one with almost no uniqueness whatsoever. He's kinda just a heavy Marth. I am sure Samurai Goroh will not be in SSB4 because of Takamaru and that Black Shadow will not be in because of Ganondorf.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Anybody have any comments on my new roster?

Yeah, Takamaru could use awesome things like Shurikens, Invisibility, and Could have a Sword that generates flames like Roy. Matthew/Issac use Psynergy, and Skulk has too much to list. I've said before Chrom is the only one with almost no uniqueness whatsoever. He's kinda just a heavy Marth. I am sure Samurai Goroh will not be in SSB4 because of Takamaru and that Black Shadow will not be in because of Ganondorf.

Where is it. I will comment on it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Swordsmen eh? Well the only one that I have any knowledge of is Isaac. So I'll only talk about him And I feel that his moveset would greatly benefit from Psynergy. It's pretty much one of the biggest plot points in Golden Sun, and it's what gives the heroes their powers, Isaac included. His sword/axe techniques can be implemented into his A moves easily, but it would be better if didn't dominate all of his A moves like Marth. Instead I can see some punches and kicks being used for some moves like Ike and Link. So yeah, his A moves could mostly be sword attacks with a few punches/kicks. And his B moves would be Psynergy attacks.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
the only similar thing Goroh and Takamaru have is their weapons are katanas. however, there is little reason to think this would make them clones. Goroh is far larger and not nearly as agile. nor does it even seem like Goroh knows how to swing it properly. the way i imagine the two personally, they have only one move in common.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
the only similar thing Goroh and Takamaru have is their weapons are katanas. however, there is little reason to think this would make them clones. Goroh is far larger and not nearly as agile. nor does it even seem like Goroh knows how to swing it properly. the way i imagine the two personally, they have only one move in common.
check out my new roster

it's on this page: http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-prediction-discussion-thread.336018/page-144#post-15609246

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Drag0n,

How much about these series do you actually know?

It seems like you're not quite sure what you're talking about when it comes to smaller franchises.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
My ALL NEW Roster!!!

So, it has 50 characters. Aside from the fact that it is to many, I think the list is good. It hits the high pretty well. Sheriff is a good idea and addition. He is from one of the first like you said and that gives him some interesting potential. Maybe Game and Watch-yyy. I read why Erika and I have no complaints. The only one I see as odd is Ninten. I guess it is for the last Mother game not repped, but I cannot see any other reason for him than that. Takamaru is good, Shulk and Matthew are good. Love that Starfy is there. And even though snake is gone, atleast we have Bomberman (which would make a good addition.)

Paper mario fells like filler, but I understand why he is there. He has alot of moveset potential and a partner system might make for an interesting mechanic.

If it were the final roster, I would buy it. Seems like a good list of expected and with Sherif and Bomberman, unexpected.
I give it an 7/10. Mainly for personal reasons and other things I will not mention. Not bad.

Drag0n,

How much about these series do you actually know?

It seems like you're not quite sure what you're talking about when it comes to smaller franchises.

Which ones? It depends on which franchises?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Which ones? It depends on which franchises?
Mainly:
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Xenoblade

So the RPGs. It doesn't sound like you're a fan of them though so that's understandable. It's just if you don't know much about them do some research or ask us! We'll tell you what you need to know.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
FE characters with no special powers will be similar.

Issac has his hand thing. He can use that to mix up his sword attacks.
Takamaru has a few things up his sleeves, but I cannot remember them now.
Shulk also.

So it depends on Sakurai and how he does it.

Isaac has more than just his hand powers. Essentially, Isaac's element is Venus, which makes him kinda like an earthbender from the Avatar series. However, with the help of these creatures called "Djinn" he can tap into the other three elements. Fire, Water, and Wind respectively. His other teammates can do this as well too. So yeah, Issac can have a moveset based on using all of these elements or at the very least his "home" element of Earth.

Here's a video of Issac(and others too)using their elements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFaEksPQ-bo

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Mainly:
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Xenoblade

So the RPGs. It doesn't sound like you're a fan of them though so that's understandable. It's just if you don't know much about them do some research or ask us! We'll tell you what you need to know.

I know nothing about any of them. There was only one RPG that I really liked (beat it 50 times). Never could get into them. I do know about the characters from each series now in a way. FE I usually guess from what everyone is saying. Golden Sun had Issac to my knowledge.

I am getting alot of information from the discussions, which help.

As for FE, I remember way back in the brawl days, which is where most of my knowledge of them comes from. I vaguely remember Ike being very fast in his game and very slow in brawl, which was not correct. Other than that, I know jack crap.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Isaac, Shulk and Takamaru are three swordsmen that I can guarantee would be different from each other.

I know nothing about any of them. There was only one RPG that I really liked (beat it 50 times). Never could get into them. I do know about the characters from each series now in a way. FE I usually guess from what everyone is saying. Golden Sun had Issac to my knowledge.

I am getting alot of information from the discussions, which help.

As for FE, I remember way back in the brawl days, which is where most of my knowledge of them comes from. I vaguely remember Ike being very fast in his game and very slow in brawl, which was not correct. Other than that, I know jack crap.
What was that RPG out of curiousity?

Don't guess. It leads to some terrible misconceptions (Especially in regards to FE X_X, those conversations get bloody). Just ask a question. We'll answer you.

Isaac is from Golden Sun. You are correct. Shulk is from Xenoblade and Takamaru is from a Japan only game whose name I can't spell.

Good to hear!

Ike is also ridiculously powerful in FE, so I guess they made him slow to balance it out. Makes sense. But you can't rely on Pre-Brawl info too much. Things have changed. Again, we'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Having over 5 characters that hit other characters exclusively with their fists hasn't hurt the chances of more pugilists, so I'd say no.

People tend to exaggerate how big a deal having multiple swordsmen is. It's no different from having multiple characters with fist-based movesets.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Isaac, Shulk and Takamaru are three swordsmen that I can guarantee would be different from each other.

What was that RPG out of curiousity?

Don't guess. It leads to some terrible misconceptions (Especially in regards to FE X_X, those conversations get bloody). Just ask a question. We'll answer you.

Isaac is from Golden Sun. You are correct. Shulk is from Xenoblade and Takamaru is from a Japan only game whose name I can't spell.

Good to hear!

Ike is also ridiculously powerful in FE, so I guess they made him slow to balance it out. Makes sense. But you can't rely on Pre-Brawl info too much. The tables have changed. Again, we'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

Breath of Fire 3. Only RPG I ever liked. Something about it made it so good. No idea what though.
I will concede on that fact. You are right about the pre-brawl knowledge.

I will say, I like the idea of Takamaru and Issac.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Breath of Fire 3. Only RPG I ever liked. Something about it made it so good. No idea what though.
I will concede on that fact. You are right about the pre-brawl knowledge.

I will say, I like the idea of Takamaru and Issac.
Ah. I need to get that game. I only hear good things about it.

Okay.

It's hard not to like an awesome samurai who's awkward around women and a psychic swordsmen that can control the very earth.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Ah. I need to get that game. I only hear good things about it.

Okay.

It's hard not to like an awesome samurai who's awkward around women and a psychic swordsmen that can control the very earth.

Question is, will they use the Captain Rainbow Takamaru, a redesign of the 8-bit or the Samural 3 version?
My money is on Captain Rainbow but more streamlined.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Question is, will they use the Captain Rainbow Takamaru, a redesign of the 8-bit or the Samural 3 version?
I'm thinking a combination of the two.

Borrow the colors from Captain Rainbow but the detail from Samurai Warriors.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I'm thinking a combination of the two.

Borrow the colors from Captain Rainbow but the detail from Samurai Warriors.

That sounds best. That would look awesome in he 3DS style (which is more appealing in a way given the more cartoony look.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, drag0n, if you don't know much about the characters that's fine... but you shouldn't really be making uninformed assumptions.

I'd argue that would actually be not true. It's a subjective thing, really, but it seems like Shulk and Xenoblade as a whole would be more inherently interesting.
To you perhaps. Like you said, it's subjective.

I'd think if Sakurai was hard pressed to come up with swordplay for Isaac... he would just focus on Psynergy. Either way, potential for a moveset really isn't a problem for any of those three...

As long as he doesn't get nosebleeds every time he has to fight against a female character (which would admittedly be hilarious), I'd be fine with any of his outfits, as long as they made him look... you know, serious and true to his original personality.

Personally I'm hoping for a new look (not a drastic one like Pit - but a noticeable difference), with elements taken from his original appearance.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That sounds best. That would look awesome in he 3DS style (which is more appealing in a way given the more cartoony look.)
It's the same look. Just with a small outline around the characters.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm a bit late on this, but just because a group of characters all use the same type of weapon, that doesn't mean they all have to be similar. If that weren't true, Soulcalibur, Samurai Shodown, and The Last Blade wouldn't be as good as they are.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm going to provide a somewhat controversial roster. But I will try to explain why I chose some characters.

Bowser Jr.: I don't think Sakurai will simply just throw away old Bowser's moveset, I believe he'll tweak it, give it to Bowser Jr. and give him new moves.
(so that the old moves are torn between Bowser and Bowser Jr.)

Dixie Kong: Tropical Freeze will most likely put her back on the map. And with no K.Rool in sight, I believe Dixie has a slightly clearer shot. (Not to mention she was supposed to be one of the rumored characters to be put in Brawl as well)

Mewtwo: Heavy hints of his return.

Pokemon Trainer: His Pokemon may change, but I think he's definitely coming back.

Ridley: (Though I´m sure a lot of you feel he needs no explanation). Compensation for the horrible treatment Metroid has received as a franchise.

Palutena: Seems to be the 2nd most important character in Kid Icarus. She even got her own OVAs from what I recall.

Dillon: Sakurai is inclined to add new Nintendo franchises, and Dillon seems like a very likely candidate, with a sequel coming out soon (or already out?)

Balloon Fighter: Not only has he gotten PLENTY of cameos, meaning he's important to Nintendo history, but he even got his own segment at Nintendo Land. Not Star Fox, not Fire Emblem.... Balloon Fight got it.

Takamaru: Again, too many cameos to ignore. Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and a whole segment of Nintendoland.

HAL Bailman: My next WTF/Retro combo. Hal Bailman hails from the game Air Fortress, one of (if not) the first games developed by HAL Laboratories. About this astronaut looking dude who rides a jet-bike in space. Then once he reaches a space station (called Air Fortress) he hops off his bike, and uses his Jetpack to move around. Also has a laser blaster in hand to move around. He must destroy a reactor and make it out alive.

Mii: It´s happening. It just is.

New franchises represented: 12.

Thoughts?

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to provide a somewhat controversial roster. But I will try to explain why I chose some characters.

Bowser Jr.: I don't think Sakurai will simply just throw away old Bowser's moveset, I believe he'll tweak it, give it to Bowser Jr. and give him new moves.
(so that the old moves are torn between Bowser and Bowser Jr.)

Dixie Kong: Tropical Freeze will most likely put her back on the map. And with no K.Rool in sight, I believe Dixie has a slightly clearer shot. (Not to mention she was supposed to be one of the rumored characters to be put in Brawl as well)

Mewtwo: Heavy hints of his return.

Pokemon Trainer: His Pokemon may change, but I think he's definitely coming back.

Ridley: (Though I´m sure a lot of you feel he needs no explanation). Compensation for the horrible treatment Metroid has received as a franchise.

Palutena: Seems to be the 2nd most important character in Kid Icarus. She even got her own OVAs from what I recall.

Dillon: Sakurai is inclined to add new Nintendo franchises, and Dillon seems like a very likely candidate, with a sequel coming out soon (or already out?)

Balloon Fighter: Not only has he gotten PLENTY of cameos, meaning he's important to Nintendo history, but he even got his own segment at Nintendo Land. Not Star Fox, not Fire Emblem.... Balloon Fight got it.

Takamaru: Again, too many cameos to ignore. Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and a whole segment of Nintendoland.

HAL Bailman: My next WTF/Retro combo. Hal Bailman hails from the game Air Fortress, one of (if not) the first games developed by HAL Laboratories. About this astronaut looking dude who rides a jet-bike in space. Then once he reaches a space station (called Air Fortress) he hops off his bike, and uses his Jetpack to move around. Also has a laser blaster in hand to move around. He must destroy a reactor and make it out alive.

Mii: It´s happening. It just is.

New franchises represented: 12.

Thoughts?
Balloon Fighter isn't gonna happen, sorry. He might as well be deconfirmed because we have seen the villager using his move.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think Nintendo actually owns any of HAL's IPs from before they were purchased, which would technically not only make Hal Bailman very unlikely, but also a third-party.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Balloon Fighter isn't gonna happen, sorry. He might as well be deconfirmed because we have seen the villager using his move.

Charizard--Bowser
Falcon--Ganondorf
Squirtle--Mario's fludd

By now, that hardly holds any water. Not to mention that I don't see Balloon Fighter using the balloons as a particular special move. I see it more as a mechanic that stays with the character, and if they get popped, he'd have to inflate them back. (Yeah, I did consider the Villager's move when I made the roster, and it still didn't convince me of BF's exclusion). :D

I don't think Nintendo actually owns any of HAL's IPs from before they were purchased, which would technically not only make Hal Bailman very unlikely, but also a third-party.

Not very knowledgeable on the subject, but I'm sure there are no legal ties to this character once being purchased. Wouldn't it be sort of 2nd party-ish? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

To everyone:
This is a PREDICTION roster, after all. If it were my DREAM roster, there are oh so many things I would change. XD

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Im gonna go oldschool.

Mario series:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
I think mario will get another rep. Just seems sensible, if not BJ, then PM.

Loz Series:
Link
Classic Link
Ganondorf
Zelda/Sheik
Pos. Tingle
I believe tooon link is cut, but I think we have to have two links. Its just...a formula I guess. Unless he wants to add Ghirahim or something, which I don't see plausable and would dislike alot. Tingle because obvious zelda rep.

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Pos. Rival Trainer
Mewtwo returns of course. Fixed. And I half expect another pokemon trainer to join with types counteracting the first, from a different region.

Kirby:
Kirby
Metaknight
King DeDeDe
Self explanatory

Donkey Kong:
DK
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool or other DK character
I expect DK to get another rep. It's just K. Rool has been in the shadows for a while. Poor guy...

Star Fox series:
Fox
Wolf
Falco
Self explanatory

Earthbound:
Ness
Lucas
The series is dead. No new people.

Metroid:
Samus
Ridley
Because its about fokkin' time.

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena or Medusa
It'll get a new rep. I just don't know who it'll be before these two.

Pikmin:
Olimar
Pos. Alph
It's just complicated with the new pikmin and all. It's possible, but I really see them just revamping Olimar.

AC:
Villager
Self explanatory

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Ike
Chrom
Chrom will make it, but he has no reason to replace ike contrary to popular belief.

Wario:
Wario
Pos. wario ware character
Hopefully Jimmy T.

One rep series:
C. Falcon
R.O.B
Yoshi
Little Mac
Wii Fit Trainer
Mr. G&W
Pos. Dillon
Pos. Takamaru
Because little mac shoe in. Dillon = cool new IP sakurai has been looking for, plus a wtf for general audiances. Takamaru because retro.

Third Party:
Sonic
Megaman
Snake
Pacman
Because gaming icon.

Sorry abot the lay-man wording. Im exhausted.
This List seems pretty good, but I dont think pikmin or wario are getting another character and I just doubt dillon will make it (even though he's your fave) for the simple fact many other characters outshine him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom