• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
MegaMan and Crash are both in dire need of a new game. ( btw, I don't ever want to see Crash in Smash)

And I Spyro's latest reboot was pretty disappointing in my opinion. (I'd like to see Spyro in Smash oddly enough XD)

I'm always be up for a new Megaman game! Though I'd hardly say that he is in "dire need" of one. Since well, that last game of his(not counting mobile games)did come out in 2010. So not THAT long ago. But if we get a new Megaman game soon-ish, I'd like a 3ds one myself.

Skylanders barely use all of the potential the Spyro series has. I mean at least throw in Sargent Byrd, he was scientifically the best character other than Spyro himself.

D

Deleted member

Cloud's just an overrated sack of trash.

I should know one when I see it; I'm a Shadow fan. :troll: Just one that acknowledges how overrated he is.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's unfortunate, the Skylanders game was so negatively recieved at first that death threads were reported to have been sent to the developers of the game. It was a reception nightmare. I admit that I'm not too fond of the Skylanders game either, espescially when I first saw the trailer, but many people to my knowledge took things quite too far.

Spyro and Crash have never been at the "legendary" status of gaming characters. Certainly not gaming icons. I knew Spyro was once a very popular series of games. And the "Legend of Spyro" still has a relatively strong and active fanbase in spite of the negative reception that reboot of Spyro intially recieved.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Barring the improbable rise of a third party character to Sonic or Mega Man levels of popularity, I'd rather not see any more third parties at all, aside from maybe Pac-Man due to sheer convenience and Banjo-Kazooie due to me being a dreamer.

I skimmed earlier when people were talking about potential fourth party characters to add if they ever became possible...it would probably have to be Mickey, right? I'd really oppose that because I have no faith in the developers to not dilute Mickey down to a paintbrush-slinging jack-of-all-trades from those forgettable Epic Mickey games when his rich history offers so much more, not the least of which includes his Sorcerer abilities. Wreck-It Ralph would translate far better into Smash IMO if a fourth party had to be added.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Cloud's just an overrated sack of trash.

I should know one when I see it; I'm a Shadow fan. :troll: Just one that acknowledges how overrated he is.

The real question is, of the two....Who is more overrated? I want to put my money on Shadow. Since well, he seems to be "Darker and Edgier" personified. Both in looks and in the tone of his character in contrast to most of the Sonic games. And some people really love that stuff.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That brings up an interesting question...

Can we really call Banjo and Kazooie legendary characters?

They're popular sure. But I don't think they can be classified as "legendary."

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That brings up an interesting question...

Can we really call Banjo and Kazooie legendary characters?

They're popular sure. But I don't think they can be classified as "legendary."
To be blunt, no, they're not. They have some degree of infamy due to being symbolic of Rare, but they're not legendary on the level of a Sonic or a Mega Man. They'd have to rely on their history with Nintendo along with fan support to ever get in if they ever escaped from Microsoft's ghastly clutches.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wouldn't necessarily say Banjo and Kazooie are "legendary" either. More so they gained a huge cult following, a large and dedicated fanbase etc. But they aren't world renowned characters, that I'm sure of.

EDIT:
Their newest game also seems to properly add up in storyline to the prievous entries in their franchise. Unlike the case with Spyro, as "The Legend of Spyro" reboot had a lot of plot details which didn't add up to his prievous owner's games. Likewise the "Skylanders" franchise has storyline and character details which don't properly add up to the events of the "Legend of Spyro" games. I just felt like pointing this out.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Chrono isn't legendary but I would consider him iconical. I would say from that entire game, Frog or Magnus are more iconical than Chrono. If that makes sense. That's the feeling I always get. Regardless, I'd die if Chrono was included. That game defined by pre-teen years and continues to influence it. God, that music. Just hearing it fills me with pre-teen Venus feelings; braces, giant pretzels, thunder cats, and all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Pac-Man may be pretty much the end of the line as far as popularly requested third-party characters in Smash Bros., however, even then I don't think this character is even among the Top 10 most wanted newcomers for Smash 4. Hype might be building up for him over time, however, he is never going to be what Sonic and Mega Man were.

Sonic and Mega Man were both very popularly requested characters ever since Snake's confirmation.

I think the problem is that there are very few iconic and popular third-party characters that have an extensive history on Nintendo consoles.

Any other third-party characters that get in Smash Bros. will pretty much have to get in through the Snake way.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Indeed very few iconic and popular third party characters that had an extensive history on Nintendo consoles remain. I think the issue with Pac-man in particular is that most know him for his arcade games where he would eat dots while avoiding ghosts, and eating the ghosts when he got a chance. This limits his potential and popularity as a choice for Smash. There isn't much he can do that many people know and remember him for, and lacking in an extensive and well known history on Nintendo consoles certainly did not help.

That being said, if he had more games and a greater variety of them things could've very well been different for him and he could've ended up in a similar position to Sonic and Mega Man.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
As for too many 3rd party, I feel 4 is too many but something I'd welcome. But anything beyond 4 is overkill. Smash is fine in that it doesn't need that many 3rd partiers.

I hope we see Snake return along with a Namco rep, preferably Nightmare or KOS-MOS (I'd still consider her Namco despite belonging to Monolith Soft when they were together.). But I'd be down for Lloyd Irving or Jin Kazuma, too. Not a huge fan of Pac but I wouldn't be butt hurt to see him in.

My top 10 wanted 3rd party characters are:

1. Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
2. M.Bison
3. Terra Bradford (Final Fantasy)
4. Chrono
5. KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
6. Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed)
7. Banjo and Kazooie
8. Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)
9. Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
10. Oliver (Ni no Kuni)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
One possibility is getting a second Sonic character, which I feel may not be enough to prevent 4 or 5 3rd party characters. Also, I'd be neutral on a second Sonic character, mainly because I'd be happy to play any other Sonic character in Smash, but at the same time it would cause a large amount of butthurt within the Sonic fanbase no matter WHO would get in.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd say Rayman at this point is a few levels higher than Spyro in term of popularity, perhaps a few below Banjo & Kazooie. He hasn't recieved as much of a cult following as the Bear and Bird, but he's still fairly popular today, owing some of that to his newer games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How iconic of a character is Rayman? I've never known for sure.
He's among the semi icons, as I like to call them.

He's high up in the food chain but no where near Mario, Sonic, or Pac-Man Status.
I'd compare him to Spyro, Layton, Bomberman and Crash. Think of him as the Nintendo equivalent of :marth:. High up on the food chain as far as iconic status goes, but still no where near the top.

My thoughts anyways...

On another note, might we call Ryu from Street Fighter a legendary character?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Top ten 3rd parties?

Hmm.. alright here goes:

1.- Simon Belmont (Konami)
2.- Vectorman (SEGA)
3.- Pacman (Namco)
4.- Crono (Square Enix)
5.- Pulseman (SEGA and Game Freak)
6.- Nathan Radd Spencer (Capcom)
7.- Shantae (Way Forward)
8.- Joe Musashi (SEGA)
9.- Earthworm Jim (Interplay)
10.- Rayman (Ubisoft)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ryu, I'm not certain. I don't know how well known and popular Street Fighter is, but I'm guessing it's world renowned. Assuming that's the case Ryu and perhaps Guile could be called "legendary".

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ryu, I'm not certain. I don't know how well known and popular Street Fighter is, but I'm guessing it's world renowned. Assuming that's the case Ryu and perhaps Guile could be called "legendary".
Not Guile.

Ken and Chun-Li would be considered legendary before Guile would be.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
He's among the semi icons, as I like to call them.

He's high up in the food chain but no where near Mario, Sonic, or Pac-Man Status.
I'd compare him to Spyro, Layton, Bomberman and Crash. Think of him as the Nintendo equivalent of :marth:. High up on the food chain as far as iconic status goes, but still no where near the top.

My thoughts anyways...

On another note, might we call Ryu from Street Fighter a legendary character?

Yeah, I'd say both Ryu and Chun-Li are legendary. Almost as much as Megaman.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
As for too many 3rd party, I feel 4 is too many but something I'd welcome. But anything beyond 4 is overkill. Smash is fine in that it doesn't need that many 3rd partiers.

I hope we see Snake return along with a Namco rep, preferably Nightmare or KOS-MOS (I'd still consider her Namco despite belonging to Monolith Soft when they were together.). But I'd be down for Lloyd Irving or Jin Kazuma, too. Not a huge fan of Pac but I wouldn't be butt hurt to see him in.

My top 10 wanted 3rd party characters are:
*list*
My top ten wanted third parties:

1. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
2. Rayman (Rayman)
3. Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
4. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)
5. Professor Layton (his series)
6. Simon Belmont (Castlevania)

7. Maybe Slime and Chocobo, but I kinda want Squall or Cloud or Sephiroth... I'm going with Slime & Chocobo, mainly 'cause there's just too much competition between FF characters. Also, they represent both FF and Dragon Quest simultaneously.

8. ???
9. ???
10. Omega Tiger Woods / mm-666 (MUGEN: made by Most-Mysterious) :troll:

----
I've never actually been a fan of Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie, but I'd like to have them in Smash anyway.

Perfect Dark was actually a second-party game at the time of Melee and was represented with the Cloaking Device and the Proximity Mine (JP version only)

Also, Having Rare characters in Smash might give us content from Diddy Kong Racing...
Icicle Pyramid stage, anyone?

Never been a fan of Professor Layton, either, but I'm getting interested in his series, and I'd like a puzzle-themed character in Smash.

------

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Really outside of Pacman, no third party that is left is what I'd consider legendary. Bomberman and Rayman are two I quite like, but frankly Tails is probably more worldly reknown than either of them, which says something about how far from legendary status they actually are.

On a side note: If this had been the 90's, Spyro and Crash would be far better known. Did they ever get into Playstation All Stars? They were two of the most deserving PS icons of that generation alongside Lara.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Top 3rd Parties:

1. Prof. Layton
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Black Mage
4. Tails
5. Bomberman

... and that's it. I don't have many third party characters on my want list.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Speaking of Bomberman, the series just turned 30 this year, yet Konami did absolutely nothing to celebrate it.

What was the purpose of Konami buying (and killing) Hudson, if they put none of their IP's to work?

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Professor Layton is my number 1 pick for a 3rd party.

I actually have no other wanted third parties. MAYBE Slime from Dragon Quest, but that's definitely it.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Top Ten 3rd Parties (Not in any particular order)
Layton
Banjo
Sora
Rayman
Crash
Pac Man
Tails
um... can't think of anymore.

?????????????

Smash Master
Top 3rd Parties...

Simon Belmont
Rayman
Hero from Dragon Quest
Lloyd Irving (or other Tales hero)
Ryu Hayabusa
Professor Layton
Bomberman
Tails
Pac-man
Cloud Strife

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I dont like miss pacman, sorry but you are alone.

4 third party characters is a disaster really... but we dont have choise, sonic is back, snake deserve it too, also that could be the perfect opportunity to bring back melee characters bacl, because if two non-nintendo character gets back, pichu and roy deserve it even more.

So: sonic, snake, megaman and pac-man.
I would love to see dig dug, knightmare or even vic viper though.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

4 third party characters is a disaster really... but we dont have choise, sonic is back, snake deserve it too, also that could be the perfect opportunity to bring back melee characters bacl, because if two non-nintendo character gets back, pichu and roy deserve it even more.

I support PacMan already, but that's not what I was saying. I was FACEPALMING.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

4 Third Parties is fine, I mean, they take up so little of the roster. I'll tell you, I sure want to play Sonic, Snake, Mega Man and Pac-Man more than filler characters like Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link who add nothing in terms of variety or uniqueness to the game, and I don't even like Pac-Man, quite the opposite actually.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I sure want to play Sonic, Snake, Mega Man and Pac-Man more than filler characters like Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link who add nothing in terms of variety or uniqueness to the game
Me too, but i know people who think contrary, and actually roy will be pretty awesome to see back (like in project m, world stop that day).

I support PacMan already, but that's not what I was saying. I was FACEPALMING.
You truly dont get it? i dont care, bandana is K64 Dee and everybody have to learn to live with it.

Pacmans down B, what are your thoughts?

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
4 Third Parties is fine, I mean, they take up so little of the roster. I'll tell you, I sure want to play Sonic, Snake, Mega Man and Pac-Man more than filler characters like Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link who add nothing in terms of variety or uniqueness to the game, and I don't even like Pac-Man, quite the opposite actually.
but :pichumelee: is not in maybe as DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom