• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad my post sperd some discussion. I might go back later and explain my choices. For now, I'll leave it as such.

In his defense though, the mods really should have intervened when all of this brouhaha began. Nothing you can do about 4chan though.
I have no idea what actually happened. Just that they don't like each other.

Please, I don't think Smashchu even likes Waddle Dee.
Hey, I like Waddle Dee. Not hard to like him after Return to Dreamland.

A lot of the WarioWare peeps could definitely work as fighters.
Some are rather obvious like Young Cricket, Kat & Ana, Ashley, etc., but there are just some zany possibilities with the characters.
Like Chrono brought up, Jimmy T. could definitely work as a combat dancer. Mona has her animal friends, her multiple jobs, and her overall randomness theme to make a rather wacky moveset like Wario's. Orbulon could be the stereotypical alien invader fighter. Dr. Crygor....man, do I even have to explain that guy?

It's a shame that they are pretty minor characters when compared to the Big W himself, let alone Nintendo as a whole.
I feel it would be Mona if there was a 2nd rep, she is one of the more important characters in the WarioWare series. And all of the stuff you mentioned would show that she can have an awesome move-set.

D

Deleted member

@Kuma: Thanks.

As for Oasis, he fell down into my kidneys. :troll:

@DragonSniper: Yeah, I'm not arguing which ones would make it in over the other, just that WarioWare has so much possibility.
Though I do agree that Mona would be the one to go for outside of Jimmy T. (or at least until Waluigi becomes a foreman at Diamond City who also works for Wario making microgames about bad things happening to Luigi :awesome:).

Image courtesy of user Splat.

Despite that, I would love to see Young Cricket, as we don't really have an actual martial artist in Smash yet.
He's even referenced in Rhythm Heaven Fever with the 2-P Endless Kung-Fu Ball as the Player 1 character.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think a funny Final Smash for Jimmy T. would involve a giant disco ball dropping from the top of the screen, and the screen dims and the stage basically becomes a dance floor. Character that are under the "aura" or "light" of the disco ball would uncontrollably dance (think Luigi's Final Smash only without the weird light effects and with dancing character within the aura). Jimmy T. could then attack these characters and they would still dance so long as they were under the dance zone.
Love it.

But he's in my lower intestines, should I be worried?
Sounds like you caught Oasis_Syndrome.

You're probably right. But I remember reading somewhere that Saki was heavily requested in Japan during the pre-brawl days. Either way, it's a shame we may never be able to play as him.

What new series do you think will be repped with a new character? Golden Sun, Punch Out, Xenoblade and Custom Robo seem likely in my opinion.
I see Golden Sun (Matthew), Sin & Punishment (Isa), Xenoblade (Shulk), Punchout (Little Mac), Custom Robo (Ray Mk3), and Mii (Wii Series)

@Kuma: Thanks.

As for Oasis, he fell down into my kidneys. :troll:

@DragonSniper: Yeah, I'm not arguing which ones would make it in over the other, just that WarioWare has so much possibility.
Though I do agree that Mona would be the one to go for outside of Jimmy T. (or at least until Waluigi becomes a foreman at Diamond City who also works for Wario making microgames about bad things happening to Luigi :awesome:).

Image courtesy of user Splat.

Despite that, I would love to see Young Cricket, as we don't really have an actual martial artist in Smash yet.
He's even referenced in Rhythm Heaven Fever with the 2-P Endless Kung-Fu Ball as the Player 1 character.
That would probably be the only chance of Waluigi ever getting into Smash Bros, if he was in WarioWare (or even Wario Land) :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Unless Toad happens to not make it.
That's honestly the only thing standing in his way at this point unless Bowser Jr. becomes more of a popular request (which is very possible)

But, if he was counted as a Wario character rather than a Mario one, then he has far less strong competition, given that Waluigi has been around longer and is typically Wario's sidekick, something that none of the other WarioWare employees can claim.

That's honestly the only thing standing in his way at this point unless Bowser Jr. becomes more of a popular request (which is very possible)

But, if he was counted as a Wario character rather than a Mario one, then he has far less strong competition, given that Waluigi has been around longer and is typically Wario's sidekick, something that none of the other WarioWare employees can claim.
I feel that Bowser Jr makes more sense than Toad, seeing as how he had such a prominent role during the Wii and DS generation. And since he would be another villain.

"Many people were clamoring for Waluigi to join the fray, so here he is...in his WarioWare outfit!"

:phone:
1. Alternate Costumes
2. His current form doesn't really make sense since he is such a side character

D

Deleted member

Toad is essentially next in line for the Mario spot, considering that everyone that was originally ahead of him in requests for Melee (Bowser, Peach, Wario) are already in Smash.

Toad is also more iconic, more popular (IIRC, he's within the top 10 of Japan's favorite VG characters), and has (somewhat) more to offer.

Toad is essentially next in line for the Mario spot, considering that everyone that was originally ahead of him in requests for Melee (Bowser, Peach, Wario) are already in Smash.

Toad is also more iconic, more popular (IIRC, he's within the top 10 of Japan's favorite VG characters), and has (somewhat) more to offer.
I see it as a possibility to get both, since both deserve it. One side and one villain (which the Mario roster also needs).

Too bad that makes the Mario roster 6 then, which if one had to get it, it would have to be the Mario roster.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Speaking of Young Cricket, he would be a great Nintendo guest since he'd fit in with the Dead or Alive characters. That's if there is a DOA 5 U.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Toad may be more iconic and popular but there is one thing that Bowser Jr. has over him which is consistency in his roles. Junior is always a major boss role in the games he's in while Toad seems to majorly fluctuate in this area ranging from playable character to lowly advice giver to damsel in distress.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario could bring so much to the table, i would love to possible paint setups then transform to jr. if that were possible. Have been wanting them since sunshine and since he has become actually really important to the franchise I have an extremely good feeling he will make it in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Again, I think they have an equal chance.

I recently read an article a man wrote about the views of Japanese players and many of them were pessimistic about Toad's role. Many of them think he's going to stay as Peach's neutral B.

Here's the source:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64873505

I realize that everything this man is saying may be a pack of lies, but the man has a surprisingly good reputation (then again it's Gamefaqs, so it's not saying much) so we might as well look at it.

Just thought I might add something.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Again, I think they have an equal chance.

I recently read an article a man wrote about the views of Japanese players and many of them were pessimistic about Toad's role. Many of them think he's going to stay as Peach's neutral B.

Here's the source:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64873505

I realize that everything this man is saying may be a pack of lies, but the man has a surprisingly good reputation (then again it's Gamefaqs, so it's not saying much) so we might as well look at it.

Just thought I might add something.
I wrote that. My GameFAQs alias is Snakey.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey, I like Waddle Dee. Not hard to like him after Return to Dreamland.
Sorry, I wasn't sure if it was you or not. Hard to keep up to date on things.

I'm actually rather surprised Waluigi hasn't been incorporated into the WarioWare series in some capacity yet. He seems like such a natural fit being closely associated with Wario now and already being a little unhinged. Surely they would have been business partners, unless Waluigi was too insidious, even for Wario. Rival company perhaps?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lol at last page. :laugh:

Waluigi was never in WarioWare, so he won't be a Wario rep.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I'm trying to be real, not rude when I say this, but what makes some of you guys want to play as characters that are literally man handled by other characters. For example Toad... He's manhandled by peach like a doll, and dedede straight up tosses waddle dees like pieces of trash, in my eyes it just doesn't fit to see them playable ( waddle and toAd)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm trying to be real, not rude when I say this, but what makes some of you guys want to play as characters that are literally man handled by other characters. For example Toad... He's manhandled by peach like a doll, and dedede straight up tosses waddle dees like pieces of trash, in my eyes it just doesn't fit to see them playable ( waddle and toAd)
The whole "being a part of someone's moveset 'argument'" has been deconstructed before.

And as for them being "manhandled", I don't see why that would be a problem. Not to mention that 'Bandana' Waddle Dee is seperate from the Waddle Dees used by Dedede.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

I don't speak for everyone, but I played Return to Dreamland and loved using Bandanna Dee. And, technically speaking, we don't see Dedede throwing Bandanna Dee. Do you remember D3 throwing one wearing a bandanna? And, also, this has been said before, but Yoshi. He's just Mario's car. To quote you "it just doesn't fit to see him playable".

Edit: Ninja'ed

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm personally against adding Toad. I'm really not a fan of having multiple variations of the same character. (Example Good Cole and Evil Cole in PSABR or Dr. Mario and Mario). Yeah people can argue saying "In the Toad race, individuals can look very similar to each other", But i'm not buying that. The only way for Toad to kind of work for me is if Peach's neutral B is replaced with Toadsworth:
[COLLAPSE="Peach's Long time Steward"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Im a little less against Bandana Dee, If his/her moveset incorporates the spear.

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
I'm not against Toad, but I don't think he's a priority. Bowser Jr., Paper Mario and others are more interesting. Anyway, I remember that Toad is incredibly strong, more than any other character in the franchise, is that still true? That would be weird but funny. A character smaller than Kirby or Pikachu, but stronger than Bowser? I would like to see that, but only after the characters I listed above.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Toad IS priority. If only cause he's been around for so long, and how much Peach and Luigi take from SMB2. Toad makes an easy addition, and would add a lightweight to the series. Outside of Dixie, and maybe a new Pokemon, I don't see many potential light weights.

Also, don't think he should be THAT strong. Sure, he should have a few moves stronger than Mario and Luigi, but topping Bowser's strenght is wayyy overdone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm personally against adding Toad. I'm really not a fan of having multiple variations of the same character. (Example Good Cole and Evil Cole in PSABR or Dr. Mario and Mario). Yeah people can argue saying "In the Toad race, individuals can look very similar to each other", But i'm not buying that. The only way for Toad to kind of work for me is if Peach's neutral B is replaced with Toadsworth:
[COLLAPSE="Peach's Long time Steward"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Im a little less against Bandana Dee, If his/her moveset incorporates the spear.
You're still forgetting the fact that there's actually three different kinds of Toads.

1) Generic uninteresting ones; The ones that have absolutely nothing, no unique names, etc. They appear in games like Super Mario 64 and Galaxy.
2) The main Toad(the leader of the Toad Brigade, Super Mario Bros. 2 playable character, same guy in all the Mario Party, Golf, Tennis, and Kart games), who we want playable. And btw, yes, he is not one of the generic race members. He's his own unique character that they didn't give him an alternate name for.
3) Those with actual names. Toadsworth, Tacy T., Toadette, etc. These are the least important, but could make for fun costume colors.

BTW, the Toad Peach brings out is the real main Toad, not a random member. He's her Guard after all. They don't have to make a change to make the main Toad playable. She can just use a generic member of the race and only mention a change in her Trophy. Problem solved.

Similar to how there are more than one Yoshi. The Yoshi in Smash is from Super Mario World 2(and the Yoshi's Island remake), not just a generic species. And the ones in Yoshi's Story are separate from the basic race in General since they're all part of a type of story. Where as in the first Super Mario World, you can hatch tons of different Yoshis. Same with a lot of the Paper Mario Yoshis. Other than a select few among the series, they're most random members of the race.

Also, with the exception of Jigglypuff, Pikachu, and Mewtwo, no other Pokemon should be playable if we go by the generic race argument.(the first two are based upon the Anime or have Anime reasons to get in. Pikachu was based upon Ash's specifically) Mewtwo only comes in one per series canon-wise.(as in there's a single Mewtwo and that's it) Jigglypuff is somewhat more arguable, but she did have the Anime to thank for being a major minor(as in few appearances, but treated as a fairly important minor character) character. Last bit is hard to explain, but most other Pokemon held little important at the time, except Mewtwo and Meowth. Why Meowth didn't get in over Jigglypuff is unknown, though.(and Meowth still appeared anyway)

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking if Toad got an original look, like a little different, so if Peach continue's using a Toad he would be generic Toad, and playable Toad would have a different feature(s) about him? like a scarf, glasses, different clothes. Idk something to have them be different, like DDD's waddle Dees to Bandana Dee

;)
I'm thinking if Toad got an original look, like a little different, so if Peach continue's using a Toad he would be generic Toad, and playable Toad would have a different feature(s) about him? like a scarf, glasses, different clothes. Idk something to have them be different, like DDD's waddle Dees to Bandana Dee
Well that would first have to happen in a Mario game for it to happen ;)

However see the likes of a Ghirahim, Chrom, Isa, Link, etc beating down on A TOAD would be hilarious.

D

Deleted member

@Arcadenik: Wrong. Yoshi in Smash is just a generic one.
Both Melee and Brawl has its trophy talk about the species itself; not of "Mario's pal".
This is further supported by the SSE, where when Mario/Pit and Link/Yoshi fight, they do not seem to recognize each other to where Yoshi would try to calm Link down in that Mario's not a bad guy and he would never destroy Zelda's trophy, or where he would try to calm Mario down in that it wasn't Peach's trophy he and Link destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom