• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Not to mention Nintendo has a history of promoting Pac-man. He was in the arcade version of Mario Kart and Nintendo was pushing Pac-man Vs. at E3 2003 like it was the next big thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Chrono's dream

Jimmy T.? Over Mona or Captain Syrup or even Waluigi? :laugh: That's crazy. Good thing it was only a dream, right? :awesome:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Smash related dreams are always weird lol. What would be freaky is if some of the things we dream of turn out to be true. O.o

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So, Chronobound, when you say 'some new pokemon' do you mean a 5th gen one you don't know the name of, or a yet to be revealed pokemon? I suppose it'd be too much to ask you to describe them, or the new character.
Some Pokemon that does not exist yet, or at least I did not recognize it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai putting Kirby characters on the same row as DK characters to taunt how his baby now has twice as many characters... :troll:

The only Smash related dream I remember was one in which SSB4 was a 50 character game for the iPhone. I went to the character selection screen to see the roster...and I woke up.

:phone:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If I might contribute something. Toad and Jr both have high chances. However, Toad is the more iconic and historically important. So logically, he would make more sense. However, keep in mind that history and importance is not always why characters are selected to be characters. Sheik and Roy are good examples of this.
Toad's main reason for not being in is that Sakurai doesn't think he's violent enough.

I wouldn't put him very high on the list right now. He has a decent chance, but unless Sakurai changes his mind, expect Waluigi, Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr.(with or without Shadow Mario) and Paper Mario way before. It helps that one is a previously playable character, and the others definitely would fight.(and Waluigi definitely has a legit chance)

As for Sheik, she's still relevant anyway. Actually, she always will be cause she's Zelda, so she's a relevant Smash character. Let's keep in mind that Zelda probably wouldn't have been playable if Sheik didn't exist. Zelda is only in there simply because Sheik cannot rep her well enough since she's not the regular Princess form, which is the main character among most of the games.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So, Chronobound, when you say 'some new pokemon' do you mean a 5th gen one you don't know the name of, or a yet to be revealed pokemon? I suppose it'd be too much to ask you to describe them, or the new character.

More on topic: We talk about how some franchises are over-represented in Smash, but what about under-represented series in Smash? Any thoughts?
inb4F-Zero
Fire Emblem. For a series as old as it is, there are surprisingly few reps in Smash.

And yes, I feel F-Zero is underrepresented as well.

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Dreams can lead to some really weird situations. Sometimes I do dream about stuff regarding to these characters, mainly from the prospective of expanding on characterization. Believe it or not, but I do kind of care about these characters and would really like to see their relations to be expanded on. This however, does lead to some pretty bizarre stories and imagery that come up in my head.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So for those who do not want to go through the whole character selection screen format, this was the roster for my dream:

Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Toad

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link

Metroid:
Samus/ZSS
Ridley

Yoshi:
Yoshi:

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Waddle Dee

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Some new Pokemon

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon

Mother:
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Roy
Ike
Anna

Wario:
Wario
Jimmy T

Pikmin:
Olimar

Kid Icarus:
Pit

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
ROB
Takamaru
Sheriff

New series:
Mii
Some new character

Third-Party:
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I always did see Takamaru next to the Legend of Zelda characters, again to parallel the relationship between Mysterious Murasame Castle and The Legend of Zelda. You know, kind of like how Pit and Samus are together on the Brawl roster.

Also, modestly surprised at Jimmy T. and Anna.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So for those who do not want to go through the whole character selection screen format, this was the roster for my dream:
Actually I'd be pretty okay with that roster, would be annoyed at a lack of new series but it'd be something I'd get over after a couple of days. Sounds pretty vivid for a dream, although "Some New Pokemon/Character" I guess isn't very descriptive.

That said it sounds like you need to take a break from speculation... lol

I do remember having a dream Pre-Brawl, though it only told me that Captain Falcon and Peach made it. >_>

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume he had a lot of killer moves to burn up the dance floor. None of that offbeat wicked stuff, we're talking about straight up FUNKEH FEVAH.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I remember I had a Smash dream once. It was sprite based for some reason. It showed Mario, but confirmed all Brawl vets. For some reason, Sakurai joked about Mewtwo not being in. Cue me being sad.

Other than that, it showed Starfy, Little Mac, Toad and Ridley, as well as a second Punch-Out!! character that doesn't exist yet. He looked Egyptian. Like a mix between Super Macho Man and Rawk Hawk. It was weird.

There was also a new minigame. If you cleared Classic with anyone (or I assume anyone), a minigame is played. You have five seconds to run to a floating box and hit it Mario style by jumping, and a Question Mark pops out (I guess you're screwed if you trip :troll: ) Then you fight a randomly-selected unlockable character to unlock them. I guess it's another alternative to other methods. Meh.

The dream was weird...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The only SSB4 related dream I had was going on Youtube and watching a Pac-man combo video. I've tried many nights to dream a sequel to that dream. All I remember is that he had a B+air similar to Mr.G&W...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't really have dreams, just imagined fractions of what I'd like to see. Mostly moveset and character wise though, but I picture them on a suiting stage if I can. Like, Donkey Kong looking like a mix between his Brawl and Returns design, fighting King K.Rool on Sunshet Shore from DKCR. And then doing some new moves. I mostly think of how characters should fight in the next game, or what'd be possible to do combo-wise. So movesets are imo quite important.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's a bit too bare-boned for me to like. A few decent new additions, but not hardly enough. Pokemon, DK, and Mother are severely boring overall. FE is okay, slightly better than some of the others.

But eh, that was your dream. Hopefully the real roster will be far better than that. Including returning all old characters, etc. The Pokemon Roster especially looked severely mediocre to me. Yay, one new guy, and 1st Gen oversaturated.(which i was I find it mediocre) I'd rather have a Pokemon roster that expands a bit more on the different gens. Gen 1 got everything it'll ever need. Add the others since they're awesome too.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Come on, guys. Before we fall asleep, lets all think about Smash 4 and the roster. Instead of counting sheep, count Smash characters/newcomers! So maybe when we fall asleep, we'll have Smash related dreams!...I guess I'm alone on this. this has been the nerdiest thing i've ever said...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
[COLLAPSE="Mario Series"]Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="The Legend of Zelda Series"]Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Donkey Kong Series"]Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Yoshi island"]Yoshi
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Warioware Series"]Wario
Mona
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Metriod Series"]Samus/Zero-Suit Samus
Ridley
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Kirby Series"]Kirby
King DeDeDe
Metaknight
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Starfox Series"]Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Pokemon Series"]Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="F-Zero Series"]Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAj01fYE4yg
Samurai Goroh
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Mother/Earthbound Series"]Ness
Lucas
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Fire Emblem Series"]Marth
Ike
Roy
Chrom
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Pikmin Series"]Olimar
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Kid Icarus Series"]Pit
Palutena
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Retro/Wildcard Series"]R.O.B
Mr. G&W
Ice Climbers
Lil Mac
Takumaru
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="3rd Party Series"]Sonic
Snake
Pac-man
Megaman
[/COLLAPSE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[COLLAPSE="Honorable Mentions"]Toad (Super Mario)
Micaiah (Fire Emblem)
Lynn (Fire Emblem)
Lucario (Pokemon)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Ashley (Warioware)
Issac (Golden Sun)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Ray (Custom Robo)
[/COLLAPSE]

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's quite possible that it was Saki at the very least.
I don't know. Originally my theory was that Golden Sun was the missing series in Brawl's music files, which would mean that Isaac was being considered. Although lately I've started to believe it might have been Starfy. There's really no way of knowing until somebody is playable in the next game.

Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Toad

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link

Metroid:
Samus/ZSS
Ridley

Yoshi:
Yoshi:

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Waddle Dee

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Some new Pokemon

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon

Mother:
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Roy
Ike
Anna

Wario:
Wario
Jimmy T

Pikmin:
Olimar

Kid Icarus:
Pit

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
ROB
Takamaru
Sheriff

New series:
Mii
Some new character

Third-Party:
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man
This roster wins solely for having Jimmy T. playable. The cherry on top would be a dancing cat attack.

Waddle Dee, Mewtwo, Megaman, Wolf make me smile.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Moon Monkey, mind if I borrow your example?

I'd like to add the concept: Late Luigified Addition. Instead of having clones, Brawl tried to make a lot of old clones more original. Namely Falco. Ganondorf has even been tweaked (we're not satisfied though) and Lucas as a new character was inspired on Ness a little. Toon Link and Wolf where also added as the first Late Luigified Additions, so that's why perhaps I think some new characters in this sort of flavor would be added. Shortcut them as LLA in my list.

[COLLAPSE="Super Mario Series"]Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad
Bowser Jr. * LLA[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="The Legend of Zelda Series "]
Link (Hero of Time in 3DS, Hero of the Sky in Wii U)
Zelda (Sage of Wisdom in 3DS, Hylia in Wii U) */ Sheik* (3DS only)
Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time based in both)
Impa (Wii U only) * possible LLA even if Sheik remains in both
Ghirahim (Wii U only)
Young Link * (3DS only) LLA
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Donkey Kong Country Series"]Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong * possible LLA
King K. Rool[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Yoshi's Island"]Yoshi
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="WarioWare / Land Series"]Wario
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Metroid Series"]Samus/Zero-Suit Samus
Ridley
Anthony Higgs * (Wii U exclusive / LLA of ZSS)
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Kirby Series"]Kirby
King DeDeDe
MetaKnight
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="StarFox Series"]Fox
Falco
Wolf
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Pokemon Series"]Pichu * / Pikachu / Raichu *
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Mewtwo
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="F-Zero Series"]Captain Falcon
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Mother/Earthbound Series"]Ness
Lucas
Porky
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Fire Emblem Series"]Marth
Ike (possible Wii U exclusive)
Chrom (possible 3DS exclusive)
Roy * (possible Wii U exclusive) LLA
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="New Series"]Olimar
Isaac / Matthew
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Kid Icarus Series"]Pit
Palutena
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Retro Series"]R.O.B
Mr. G&W
Ice Climbers
Lil Mac
Takamaru
Mach Rider
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="3rd Party [S]/ Do Not Really Want[/S] Series"]Sonic
Snake
Megaman
[/COLLAPSE]

Possibly thinking of Samurai Goroh as well. And wether or not to add a new Pokemon character outside of Mewtwo. Can't decide yet. But would REALLY want to add 3 different concepts for the Trainer with evolutions.

Concept:
Grass Starter- Pokemon Trainer: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur. :001: :002: :003:
Fire Starter- Pokemon Trainer: Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard. :004: :005: :006:
Water Starter- Pokemon Trainer: Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise. :007: :008: :009:

That'd cover Pokemon pretty well. But if I'd had to be radical, I'd cut Jiggs and Lucario for this. And add a 6th gen rep as soon as I can think of one.

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Someone I know said Goku will be in it because namco is working on it HOW STUPID IS THAT

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Pretty good list. I had the same issue of adding some characters. So i just made an honorable mention list. for characters that i am indifferent towards but would pretty stoked if they joined.

@ChaosSoul go tell that person to play Jump Ultimate Superstars and keep anime characters out of SSB

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't know. Originally my theory was that Golden Sun was the missing series in Brawl's music files, which would mean that Isaac was being considered. Although lately I've started to believe it might have been Starfy. There's really no way of knowing until somebody is playable in the next game.
I would believe the Issac thing being related to the missing music series, considering that Golden Sun does have a song that is (oddly) in the Norfair stage. Then again, take that theory with a grain of salt, since a lot of series also have songs placed everywhere.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This roster wins solely for having Jimmy T. playable. The cherry on top would be a dancing cat attack.

Waddle Dee, Mewtwo, Megaman, Wolf make me smile.
I think a funny Final Smash for Jimmy T. would involve a giant disco ball dropping from the top of the screen, and the screen dims and the stage basically becomes a dance floor. Character that are under the "aura" or "light" of the disco ball would uncontrollably dance (think Luigi's Final Smash only without the weird light effects and with dancing character within the aura). Jimmy T. could then attack these characters and they would still dance so long as they were under the dance zone.

In reality, I think a lot of WarioWare characters would be making interesting, unique, and funny additions in Smash Bros. Its weird that no one asks for any outside of Ashley (who is not as interesting as a lot of other WarioWare characters).

I also thought the roster was good too outside of a lack of a DK newcomer. It had quite a few characters people were asking for (Ridley, Mewtwo, Mega Man, Roy, Toad, Takamaru, possibly Pac-Man and Waddle Dee too) and several "surprise" characters (Jimmy T., Anna, Sheriff). However, I think in reality if Waddle Dee got in and there was no DK newcomer, there would be much rage.

Like I said before, I would expect a photoshop of Waddle Dee with troll face photoshopped on with the caption:
"Expecting K. Rool? Too bad. Waddle Dee Time :troll:"

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In reality, I think a lot of WarioWare characters would be making interesting, unique, and funny additions in Smash Bros. Its weird that no one asks for any outside of Ashley (who is not as interesting as a lot of other WarioWare characters).
Maybe it's because people are still peeved at WarioWare hogging the spotlight in Brawl and leaving Wario Land to sit the corner, so they want to forget about anything related to WarioWare. Also people probably think a lot of the characters in WarioWare wouldn't work out in a fighting game setting, so they ignore them.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would like a Final Smash like that, whose main.. DEAL is just that characters are forced into a long unique animation like that. And it'd be incredible fun to see all the different characters' particular dance moves. Because I want Sukapon, I want him to make characters laugh. That would also be a nice animation to see.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I would believe the Issac thing being related to the missing music series, considering that Golden Sun does have a song that is (oddly) in the Norfair stage. Then again, take that theory with a grain of salt, since a lot of series also have songs placed everywhere.
The only difference between Golden Sun and the rest of those songs is that the others are not associated with series that have distinct characters. 1080 Snowboarding, X, Brain Age, Excite Truck; not necessarily in the same category.

However, as I said before, I'm more inclined to believe it was Starfy he was seriously considering, despite having no music.

I think a funny Final Smash for Jimmy T. would involve a giant disco ball dropping from the top of the screen, and the screen dims and the stage basically becomes a dance floor. Character that are under the "aura" or "light" of the disco ball would uncontrollably dance (think Luigi's Final Smash only without the weird light effects and with dancing character within the aura). Jimmy T. could then attack these characters and they would still dance so long as they were under the dance zone.
I would die laughing if this happened. Jimmy T would so be mained from day one. I swear I'd main him if he were playable.

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Pretty good list. I had the same issue of adding some characters. So i just made an honorable mention list. for characters that i am indifferent towards but would pretty stoked if they joined.

@ChaosSoul go tell that person to play Jump Ultimate Superstars and keep anime characters out of SSB
Actually i told him goku has the same cance of beeing in smash brothers as you have geting laid
0% he then proceded to tryand punch me but I koed him faster than sonic on crack
And told him dont f#@$ with a guy who takes martial arts after he came to I looked at him and said goku dont know $#@% he then ran home leaving nothing but a trrail of urin
So who wants to question my beleifes or do you want tohave the same fate as the guy mentioned above

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wish I could add (an) Elite Beat Agent(s) to my roster. They'd be boss.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually i told him goku has the same cance of beeing in smash brothers as you have geting laid
0% he then proceded to tryand punch me but I koed him faster than sonic on crack
And told him dont f#@$ with a guy who takes martial arts after he came to I looked at him and said goku dont know $#@% he then ran home leaving nothing but a trrail of urin
So who wants to question my beleifes or do you want tohave the same fate as the guy mentioned above
This is too funny and stupid.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm surprised no one has welcomed back Oasis since he's begun posting again.

Hi.

A lot of the WarioWare peeps could definitely work as fighters.
Some are rather obvious like Young Cricket, Kat & Ana, Ashley, etc., but there are just some zany possibilities with the characters.
Like Chrono brought up, Jimmy T. could definitely work as a combat dancer. Mona has her animal friends, her multiple jobs, and her overall randomness theme to make a rather wacky moveset like Wario's. Orbulon could be the stereotypical alien invader fighter. Dr. Crygor....man, do I even have to explain that guy?

It's a shame that they are pretty minor characters when compared to the Big Man himself, let alone Nintendo as a whole.
Surprised you didn't bring up 9-Volt.

D

Deleted member

A lot of the WarioWare peeps could definitely work as fighters.
Some are rather obvious like Young Cricket, Kat & Ana, Ashley, etc., but there are just some zany possibilities with the characters.
Like Chrono brought up, Jimmy T. could definitely work as a combat dancer. Mona has her animal friends, her multiple jobs, and her overall randomness theme to make a rather wacky moveset like Wario's. Orbulon could be the stereotypical alien invader fighter. Dr. Crygor....man, do I even have to explain that guy?

It's a shame that they are pretty minor characters when compared to the Big W himself, let alone Nintendo as a whole.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's pretty much the same problem with the Yoshi series too, but at least Wario has choices to choose form. Personally I would ether pick Captain Syrup or Mona from the prospective of a Wario character, but at the same time I'm not going to go full force with ether of those.

The former would be part of the concoction to create the ultimate battle of coolness: Pirate vs. Samurai vs. Alien vs. Cowboy.

D

Deleted member

Although, WarioWare really needs to have an antagonist of some kind within the series.
Captain Syrup as one who sells....get this.......PIRATED games would be perfect. :awesome:
A threat to the WarioWare Inc. company as a whole.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oasis is always with us in our hearts.

Indeed. Someone trying to come off as a really tough guy on the internet. Where have I seen this before?!
Is this addressed to me?

@Golden
That's actually a really good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom