• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Now I know originating in video games should be a given but technically captain n is a Nintendo property so would it really b that big a stretch. It's not like their using Mickey mouse or anything

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Three new retros: Sheriff, Takamaru, & Captain N

However wouldn't originating in a cartoon hurt his chances?
Swap Sheriff for Duck Hunt Dog and we are good to go. :awesome:

And Captain N could still get in despite originating in a cartoon if he is owned by Nintendo. This is a Nintendo All-Star game, no?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mega Man would be a green ****** and Pit would have the worse cowlick and voice crack ever. Also they will say "Mega" and "-icus" respectivly all the freaking time.

Swap Sheriff for Duck Hunt Dog and we are good to go. :awesome:

And Captain N could still get in despite originating in a cartoon if he is owned by Nintendo. This is a Nintendo All-Star game, no?
:awesome: at think Duck Hunt Dog should be playable in general

And I am not denying Captain N because of it, I am just saying that might be a problem for it.

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet
I don't want us to deviate entirely from the current discussion but Little Mac would still be categorized under "Retro characters" despite the fact his series got a reboot in 2009, correct?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know what? If Capcom really wanted to outdo the Bad Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter X Tekken, they could put in Captain N version of Mega Man in SSB4. The butthurt fanboy tears would taste like diabetes. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Samus was grouped with the retro characters in Brawl despite Metroid going through a revival with Prime trilogy, Fusion, and Zero Mission.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Samus was probably grouped with Pit, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. because they all were characters that debuted during the NES days. Presuming what is currently speculated, I presume that Kid Icarus and Metroid characters would still be paired up, but R.O.B. and Ice Climbers would be moved somewhere else.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Samus was grouped with the retro characters in Brawl despite Metroid going through a revival with Prime trilogy, Fusion, and Zero Mission.
It probably just turned out like that. There was only one Metroid character after all.

And as SmashChu once said, "What came first? The roster or the pretty box?"

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet
1. Take the 3rd party roster we have now
2. Replace Snake with Simon Belmont (Mirrors of Fate Version)
3. Change Sonic's move-set to have some reflection on Colors, Generations, Unleashed, and Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed (on top of original games)
4. Add in Travis Touchdown (w/ Beam Katana and Wrestling Moves) and Mega-Man (w/ Buster Cannon and Copy Ability)
I doubt Snake would get removed from 4. I know this isn't the best argument but back in the days when Brawl was in development, I recall people firmly believing that characters such as the Ice Climbers and G&W were going to get cut. Then Brawl was released and both were intact.

My point being that once a franchise is introduced in Smash, it ain't goin' anywhere.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Samus was probably grouped with Pit, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. because they all were characters that debuted during the NES days. Presuming what is currently speculated, I presume that Kid Icarus and Metroid characters would still be paired up, but R.O.B. and Ice Climbers would be moved somewhere else.
I can see Metroid and Kid Icarus sharing one column because the theme is NES password games. Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Ridley, Pit, Palutena, and maybe Medusa or Magnus.

Maybe R.O.B. and Ice Climbers might get their own column where the theme is famous NES characters with Little Mac, Takamaru, and maybe Balloon Fighter or Duck Hunt Dog.

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet
If that truly was used to put the retros in a line like that, why is Mr. Game & Watch all the way over to the right? :awesome:
If my memory serves me right, Mr. Game & Watch wasn't on the NES, or more accurately, didn't debut on the NES like Samus, Pit, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. (he was an accessory, m'kay) did.

If my memory serves me right, Mr. Game & Watch wasn't on the NES, or more accurately, didn't debut on the NES like Samus, Pit, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. (he was an accessory, m'kay) did.
And like others have said, that is probably why they were listed together. If it was just a list of retros, they would have been with Game & Watch.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Say, could E. Gadd be a possible character? I mean, he's making his return in the new Luigi's Mansion and he's had roles both on and off-screen in a bunch of Mario games... could be sort of a cartoony gadget user....

D

Deleted member

He isn't particularly likely, but if he was in, then Mario and Luigi could not get too overhauled while HE gets the F.L.U.D.D. and the Poltergust (he designed them, afterall).

D

Deleted member

Err yeah, but at the same time, it still makes more sense for Jr. to use it, given that while Mario and Luigi aren't really "defined" by their tools, Jr. is kind of defined for his.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
If that truly was used to put the retros in a line like that, why is Mr. Game & Watch all the way over to the right? :awesome:
Hasn't G&W made several appearances after Melee and even got another game title. It could show that he's broken out of retro status while Pit, IC and R.O.B had yet to.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
When was Samus classified with the retro characters?
She isn't.

Samus being paired with retro characters because they all share the NES is as legitimate of a reason as Captain Falcon being paired with the StarFox crew because they all pilot something.

If they wanted to clearly separate out all of the series and generations the roster wouldn't look as organized as it does now.

pikmingrapeandrape

Smash Cadet
Hasn't G&W made several appearances after Melee and even got another game title. It could show that he's broken out of retro status while Pit, IC and R.O.B had yet to.
Wait.....what? Im assuming that you're counting the game and watch gallery re release as a brand new game entirely? Just because a game re appears on a virtual console, it doesn't mean it's a new game. By that logic, Ice Climbers would also not be retro anymore. And also, Pit isnt retro anymore. He just got a brand new, full fledged game last year. Point being, Mr. G&W is still one the most old school around. :cool:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Wait.....what? Im assuming that you're counting the game and watch gallery re release as a brand new game entirely? Just because a game re appears on a virtual console, it doesn't mean it's a new game. By that logic, Ice Climbers would also not be retro anymore. And also, Pit isnt retro anymore. He just got a brand new, full fledged game last year. Point being, Mr. G&W is still one the most old school around. :cool:

I said Pit "had yet" to break out of retro status meaning before Uprising. Ice climbers still haven't gotten another game under their belt regardless of minor appearances so I still see them as retro. As to G&W, the game I was referencing was gallery 4.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think you guys are talking about Game & Watch Gallery 4. It came out in 2002. It was only a Mario spin-off game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think you guys are talking about Game & Watch Gallery 4. It came out in 2002. It was only a Mario spin-off game.
sort of, actually. I have G&W Gallery 4, and Mr. Game & Watch himself makes an appearence in the game, not to mention that the original G&W games are in that game, alongside reworked versions featuring Mario characters.

D

Deleted member

The only game Mr. Game & Watch actually appears in outside of Smash. :awesome:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
He isn't particularly likely, but if he was in, then Mario and Luigi could not get too overhauled while HE gets the F.L.U.D.D. and the Poltergust (he designed them, afterall).
I admit he isn't particularly likely- he hasn't had a bodily appearance since M&L: Partners in Time (although some of his stuff has shown up since then) and won't show up again until LM:DM this year.

But I think he'd be an interesting and unique character in Brawl, somebody who'd have to be almost entirely reliant on gadgets and gear. He'd be crap in close-in fights but could dominate in a long-range game. I mean, Snake at least had CQC to defend himself...

D

Deleted member

On Samus, I can hardly call her retro, I mean all she did was skip on a generation, and that was because her game wasn't finished by the time the N64 was done with.

If you really stop and count, she's had more game in "modern" times than in "retro times."

Cut her some slack guys, I mean, it's bad enough Nintendo forgets all about her 25th anniversary, you don't have to rub it in by calling her retro (synonymous for forgotten).
[COLLAPSE="Happy birthday to me.... ;_;"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I had a better one lying around somewhere but I can't find it...

Anyway, a bit of a throwback to Snake.

How come he never got his infamous catchphrase in Smash Brawl? If he comes back he better have it as either a taunt, or a Victory Phrase.

For those of you who don't know:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Cut her some slack guys, I mean, it's bad enough Nintendo forgets all about her 25th anniversary, you don't have to rub it in by calling her retro (synonymous for forgotten).
To be fair, having the same anniversary as Zelda is sort of like being born on Christmas, much like that comic.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'd imagine 2014 being a big celebration for Super Smash Bros. by both developers and fans.

It's Super Smash Bros., so it's going to be unavoidable yet pretty awesome.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hmmm... if E3 2013 doesn't show SSB4 trailer... then I guess E3 2014 might show SSB4 trailer as an anniversary tribute to Smash.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Please, this is Nintendo. Other than us (or at least most of us) diehards, at every E3 Nintendo is always either flying higher than they've ever been or is on the edge of extinction.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One things for sure is that we're not going to get something like E3 2008.

Wii Sports Resort! Wii Music! Cammie! Enraged Fanboys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom