• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
ChronoBound, could you explain how Roy is considered the face of the GBA trilogy? I've recently been playing the three under the suggestion of a friend and I fail to see Roy as said face of the trilogy.

He made an extremely small appearance in Fire Emblem and was the main protagonist in Fuuin No Tsurugi. Though I have yet to finish Sacred Stones I have yet to see any mention of Roy or even Eliwood for that matter. I would be more willing to say that the main protagonists in each game represent their games alone and not be represented by one character entirely. (Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood for Fire Emblem, Ephraim and Eirika for Sacred Stones, and finally Roy for Fuuin No Tsuguri.)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The loud ones are always the ones that are the most controversial from what I've seen.

Nothing could be more controversial then the Geno bandwagon during the days of Brawl, who despite being such a minor character from a game developed by a third party company somehow managed to spark a lot of popularity, and everything and anything was considered proof for Geno being in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
ChronoBound, could you explain how Roy is considered the face of the GBA trilogy? I've recently been playing the three under the suggestion of a friend and I fail to see Roy as said face of the trilogy.

He made an extremely small appearance in Fire Emblem and was the main protagonist in Fuuin No Tsurugi. Though I have yet to finish Sacred Stones I have yet to see any mention of Roy or even Eliwood for that matter. I would be more willing to say that the main protagonists in each game represent their games alone and not be represented by one character entirely. (Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood for Fire Emblem, Ephraim and Eirika for Sacred Stones, and finally Roy for Fuuin No Tsuguri.)
Roy is the only one that shares a game all by himself, and FE6 in terms of plot is the main Elibe game. FE8 was a stand alone game, but used the same engine as FE7 and FE8. Roy is also the most popular character of the GBA Fire Emblem trilogy in Japan (there was poll done in Nintendo Dream that was just about characters from the GBA Fire Emblem trilogy, guess who got first place).

FE6 was also by far the highest selling GBA Fire Emblem game in Japan. FE7 was basically like FE5, microcosm in the grand scheme of things, with the previous game being the main event for the continent (FE4 and FE6).

Roy having been a playable character in Melee is also by far the most recgonizable character from the GBA Fire Emblem trilogy as well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So its basically middle of the road stuff. You also know that Ike too had a bunch of skills aside from Aether that were not implemented into his moveset as well. I doubt any of those skills will make its way into Chrom's moveset especially since most of them are not class exclusive (the same thing happened with Ike's other skills aside from Aether). Those skills also don't do much to differentiate Chrom from the other two, and Chrom still seems very redundant alongside Marth and Ike.

You could write a whole bunch of stuff yet say a whole lot of nothing.

It seems you are basically a very aggressive poster. You rarely bring up good points, but you basically keep bashing and bashing your beliefs onto others into others just give up because you simply never budge an inch and you never leave board so its not like anyone would get a relieve from your chauvenism.

Also, do you ever even take a break from this forum?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Does anyone want to discuss my recent roster post.
Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=15210307&postcount=107

My first time here, hopefully i'm not breaking the rules.
Well, I'd cut the amount of newcomers in half, and maybe re-think adding a few characters you cut (like Lucas, Wolf, and since you have Sonic, Snake). Of the newcomers, I'd really consider eliminating some of those third-parties, not having 2 S&P characters, and adding at least one more FE character (of Ike, Roy, or Chrom), as you seem to only have Marth.

As for specific characters, I'd cut Louie, Mike Jones, Dig Dug, Rosalina, Skull Kid, Airan Jo, Tom Nook, Captain Rainbow, Zael, Andy, and Sora. There are some others that aren't too likely as well, but these ones have very little to no shot. If you want another Pikmin rep, I'd suggest waiting for Pikmin 3 to see if there is a standout character or anything, because as of now it seems Louie has missed his chance.

I think he will when school starts again on Monday. I remember he claimed he is an English teacher.
A teacher?! :troll:

D

Deleted member

So its basically middle of the road stuff. You also know that Ike too had a bunch of skills aside from Aether that were not implemented into his moveset as well. I doubt any of those skills will make its way into Chrom's moveset especially since most of them are not class exclusive (the same thing happened with Ike's other skills aside from Aether). Those skills also don't do much to differentiate Chrom from the other two, and Chrom still seems very redundant alongside Marth and Ike.

You could write a whole bunch of stuff yet say a whole lot of nothing.

It seems you are basically a very aggressive poster. You rarely bring up good points, but you basically keep bashing and bashing your beliefs onto others into others just give up because you simply never budge an inch and you never leave board so its not like anyone would get a relieve from your chauvenism.

Also, do you ever even take a break from this forum?

I'm the aggressive poster, yet you're the one who gets offended when people disagree with you.

Look all I did was write out 3 movesets for the 3 different characters to show how they could ALL be very different. You clearly have no experience with competitive fighters, and therefore have a hard time understanding what I propose. You are too proud to admit when you might be wrong about something, and immediately turn to the defensive when you feel threatened. You entire argument against my movesets was flat. I propesed 3 very clear ideas, is that what they will get? No. But if Chrom got in like that, I'd be OK with it. Also, most people want Ike buffed in the way I suggested, and Marth getting new moves would be neat.

Look dude, I'm honestly tired of arguing with you, simply because there is no reasoning with you what-so-ever. In fact that last post wasn't even an argument, it was simply a creative suggestion, but you simply kept going on with the defensive argument in an attempt to prove why you're right and I'm wrong. Like you didn't even bother to contemplate that perhaps having all three characters in the game like that would be diverse and fun. You're too concerned with seeing your precious Roy-Kun grace Smash Bros again to open you mind...

Anyway, as for my personal life... Since you're so concerned, I'm an English Teacher/College Student currently living in Madrid Spain. Here in Spain, they have what is called "Reyes Magos" it is like the Spanish Christmas, the Three Wise Men come and deliver presents to children on the 7th of January, as a result, I have holidays till the 8th. At the moment I'm spending all my free time studying as I have some Essays to turn in for Uni next week, and exams in February, hence why I normally stay up till 7 am. I normally keep this forum open as a slight distraction in between my studies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyway, as for my personal life... Since you're so concerned, I'm an English Teacher/College Student currently living in Madrid Spain. Here in Spain, they have what is called "Reyes Magos" it is like the Spanish Christmas, the Three Wise Men come and deliver presents to children on the 7th of January, as a result, I have holidays till the 8th. At the moment I'm spending all my free time studying as I have some Essays to turn in for Uni next week, and exams in February, hence why I normally stay up till 7 am. I normally keep this forum open as a slight distraction in between my studies.
I am not going to address the previous stuff since its basically projecting yourself onto me.

As for the second thing, you are spending way too much time here than for it just to be distraction. You have been on all day for the past several weeks. You make at least a dozen posts a day, and even posted a lot on Christmas and New Year's when normal people are spending time with family and friends.

That you even go to the level of badmouthing and sperading false information about other users on other forums shows how deeply unhinged you are.

D

Deleted member

I am not going to address the previous stuff since its basically projecting yourself onto me.

As for the second thing, you are spending way too much time here than for it just to be distraction. You have been on all day for the past several weeks. You make at least a dozen posts a day, and even posted a lot on Christmas and New Year's when normal people are spending time with family and friends.

That you even go to the level of badmouthing and sperading false information about other users on other forums shows how deeply unhinged you are.
Nah, I was actually visiting my Aunt and Cousin in Aranjuez for Xmas and New Years, if you're gonna stalk me at least do it right.

Anyway, this is offtopic... So yeah.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Roy is the only one that shares a game all by himself, and FE6 in terms of plot is the main Elibe game. FE8 was a stand alone game, but used the same engine as FE7 and FE8. Roy is also the most popular character of the GBA Fire Emblem trilogy in Japan (there was poll done in Nintendo Dream that was just about characters from the GBA Fire Emblem trilogy, guess who got first place).

FE6 was also by far the highest selling GBA Fire Emblem game in Japan. FE7 was basically like FE5, microcosm in the grand scheme of things, with the previous game being the main event for the continent (FE4 and FE6).

Roy having been a playable character in Melee is also by far the most recgonizable character from the GBA Fire Emblem trilogy as well.
But as far as individual games go Roy does not represent Fire Emblem or Sacred Stones. Perhaps as a trilogy I can see where this is going but definitely not as individual games. To me, it's like saying Sora represents 358/2 Days or Gordon Freeman represents Half-Life Blue Shift when the games itself clearly revolve around an entirely different protagonist. As a whole Sora represents Kingdom Hearts and Gordon Freeman represents Half-Life. Maybe my initial question should've been worded differently.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nah, I was actually visiting my Aunt and Cousin in Aranjuez for Xmas and New Years, if you're gonna stalk me at least do it right.

Anyway, this is offtopic... So yeah.
You posted a lot on Christmas and New Year's you liar. You have a disgusting obsession with anyone ever challenging you on any beliefs that you have about anything, and when anyone challenges you, you run off and spread lies and misinformation about them on other forums, and throw disgusting epithets about them on even on these forums (calling me an autist, which is disgusting and disgraceful to people who actually have autism and have to suffer daily due to their poor social skills, yet you treat the term as though its something to be ashamed of, not a human condition that people are born with worthy of sympathy). You have called me many things, and I am fed up with it. Its time to grow up.

D

Deleted member

You posted a lot on Christmas and New Year's you liar. You have a disgusting obsession with anyone ever challenging you on any beliefs that you have about anything, and when anyone challenges you, you run off and spread lies and misinformation about them on other forums, and throw disgusting epithets about them on even on these forums (calling me an autist, which is disgusting and disgraceful to people who actually have autism and have to suffer daily due to their poor social skills, yet you treat the term as though its something to be ashamed of, not a human condition that people are born with worthy of sympathy). You have called me many things, and I am fed up with it. Its time to grow up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Serious stuff going on. C'mon, Opossum. Think. What can I possibly say to save the thread? Ah ha.

So how about that Muddy Mole? He'd be a nice surprise retro, wouldn't he? Surprises are nice. A stage control character with tons of traps.

EDIT: Manly, that was uncalled for. Typical 4channer...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, I'd cut the amount of newcomers in half, and maybe re-think adding a few characters you cut (like Lucas, Wolf, and since you have Sonic, Snake). Of the newcomers, I'd really consider eliminating some of those third-parties, not having 2 S&P characters, and adding at least one more FE character (of Ike, Roy, or Chrom), as you seem to only have Marth.

As for specific characters, I'd cut Louie, Mike Jones, Dig Dug, Rosalina, Skull Kid, Airan Jo, Tom Nook, Captain Rainbow, Zael, Andy, and Sora. There are some others that aren't too likely as well, but these ones have very little to no shot. If you want another Pikmin rep, I'd suggest waiting for Pikmin 3 to see if there is a standout character or anything, because as of now it seems Louie has missed his chance.
I based on the fact Sakurai wants forgotten franchise of old and new to appear in the SSB franchise.

D

Deleted member

Serious stuff going on. C'mon, Opossum. Think. What can I possibly say to save the thread? Ah ha.

So how about that Muddy Mole? He'd be a nice surprise retro, wouldn't he? Surprises are nice. A stage control character with tons of traps.

EDIT: Manly, that was uncalled for. Typical 4channer...
The whole argument is petty and incredibly offtopic. There was never a reason to get personal in the first place. Hopefully he'll catch on that I'm not gonna take this seriously and he'll drop it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@ManlySpirit's pic
Good one. :rolleyes:

@Opossum
I'd take Muddy Mole over forum fights anyday. ;)
I might even go play some Mole Mania... :laugh:

@BluePikmin
True, but Sakurai usually tries to keep the less-well-known/obscure/forgotten characters to a minimum each game, only adding a couple. For the most part he includes characters based on individual merit, which is usually more prevalent in characters not lost in obscurity. That said, I do think we'll ofc see one or two new ones in SSB4, but probably not as many as you have.

EDIT: If you want to go down the forgotten/not-well-known character route, I'd definitely suggest adding Takamaru, who is still pretty obscure (especially in the west) compared to what high chances he has at SSB4 inclusion.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
]
@BluePikmin
True, but Sakurai usually tries to keep the less-well-known/obscure/forgotten characters to a minimum each game, only adding a couple. For the most part he includes characters based on individual merit, which is usually more prevalent in characters not lost in obscurity. That said, I do think we'll ofc see one or two new ones in SSB4, but probably not as many as you have.
But if that's the official amount of content put, it might be the best Smash for both versions since.
EDIT: Also, it's kinda my personal list, I may have forgotten some like Takumaru.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we are talking about obscure characters... the logical ones are Takamaru and Balloon Fighter... and my reasoning for this is that Ninendo seems to be giving Balloon Fight and Nazo no Murasame Jou more attention lately.

Balloon Fighter - 3DS Ambassador Program, Nintendo Land
Takamaru - Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warrior 3, Nintendo Land

If we are talking out from the left field obscure ones who are still well-known and iconic, I would say Duck Hunt Dog and arguably Captain N (the only 4th party character who deserves to be in Smash, IMO).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Regarding your roster, Blue, I'd definitely agree with N3ON in cutting those characters. She's right, you have quite a lot of newcomers. I'd also recommend bringing back some, if not all, of those dropped characters, especially Wolf.

And yeah, Takamaru. If you were looking for retros, Takamaru's the clear choice. Additionally, I'd suggest making the roster universal, and not split among the games. That is the more likely route; it isn't Pokemon, after all.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Regarding your roster, Blue, I'd definitely agree with N3ON in cutting those characters. She's right, you have quite a lot of newcomers. I'd also recommend bringing back some, if not all, of those dropped characters, especially Wolf.

And yeah, Takamaru. If you were looking for retros, Takamaru's the clear choice. Additionally, I'd suggest making the roster universal, and not split among the games. That is the more likely route; it isn't Pokemon, after all.
The two versions should have a different experience. So assuming that SSB4 will take even longer than Brawl, I assume there would be more characters (and content).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yes, but the experience can still be different without the roster being different.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would really like to see Takamaru to see in Super Smash Bros. because of the potential of such an effective character becoming popular among the fans of the series. That appeal of a samurai kinda strikes me with that sense of coolness.

Also, the potential of Mysterious Murasame Castle being revived by Sora and Platinum Games together using the troll creative powers of Sakurai and Kamiya fueling the fire! It's my dream collaboration because I can see some serious potential here!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That's what I said the other night!
Yes, I know Pac has a lot of moves. But my biggest pet peeves about him is how he'd PLAY LIKE in Smash. Just because he has so much moves doesn't really draw me in because he still has no set feel of a character. I just can't think how Pacman would be like and how he'd appeal to make people play as him as a fighter.

I mean, some moves are cool but he has to at least feel somewhat distinctive and not just "a quest fighter". Sonic messed up due this to me because he was incomplete and sluggish in the real play even if keeping his trademark speed. Snake at least was kept incharacter to some degree though there was no guns.

Like Manly said, if one can show me that Pac could actually feel interesting to play as, then who knows, I might warm up to him. But this just shows me that Pac feels still irksome as a Smash Bros-candidate: since one can't think clearly how he'd play like despite what all moves he has, it's clear why I can't really see myself rooting for him as a character. Most of his career didn't have popular highlights like Mario (SMB3, SMW, SM64, SMG-series), Sonic (S3&K, Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, take your pick, and Sonic Unleashed/Colors/ Generations) or Megaman had (Megaman 2/3/4, Megaman X-series), despite his popularity, and there's not much titles that somehow flesh out who he corely is and what sets him apart from other VG characters. (aside from his arcade game and World-games but they feel... average at best).

Manly and Chroni: Just hoping things won't get out of hand between you two... (-i^i);;

D

Deleted member

I would really like to see Takamaru to see in Super Smash Bros. because of the potential of such an effective character becoming popular among the fans of the series. That appeal of a samurai kinda strikes me with that sense of coolness.

Also, the potential of Mysterious Murasame Castle being revived by Sora and Platinum Games together using the troll creative powers of Sakurai and Kamiya fueling the fire! It's my dream collaboration because I can see some serious potential here!
I would like to see Takamaru in Smash, him and Mach Rider are my preferred Retro faces, I've never played Mach Rider, personally, but I've watched someone play it, and I feel his character has a lot of potential.

Speaking of which, Murasame Castle, I've heard it's like Zelda, but not really, I need to get around to playing that. Also, a reboot with Plat.Games would be intense. As long as it's not Gory a la MGR, I feel it wouldn't fit the atmosphere of the original. The traditional Japanese setting has an exotic but charming feeling, that really draws me in. Kinda like Katanagatari, but in a videogame, that's what I picture from a reboot, a very artsy game like Muramasa the Demon Blade. I loved the setting in that game. I'm a sucker for traditional Japanese things.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Manly: It's like what Kid Icarus was to Metroid: More straightforward, but ****TONS harder NINJASFREAKINGEVERYWHERE.

Maan, I should get back playing it again. I couldn't clear the first boss due how brutal that was.

D

Deleted member

Manly: It's like what Kid Icarus was to Metroid: More straightforward, but ****TONS harder NINJASFREAKINGEVERYWHERE.

Maan, I should get back playing it again. I couldn't clear the first boss due how brutal that was.
Niiice, that sounds awesome! NES right? I'll go looking for it then.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would like to see Takamaru in Smash, him and Mach Rider are my preferred Retro faces, I've never played Mach Rider, personally, but I've watched someone play it, and I feel his character has a lot of potential.

Speaking of which, Murasame Castle, I've heard it's like Zelda, but not really, I need to get around to playing that. Also, a reboot with Plat.Games would be intense. As long as it's not Gory a la MGR, I feel it wouldn't fit the atmosphere of the original. The traditional Japanese setting has an exotic but charming feeling, that really draws me in. Kinda like Katanagatari, but in a videogame, that's what I picture from a reboot, a very artsy game like Muramasa the Demon Blade. I loved the setting in that game. I'm a sucker for traditional Japanese things.
Mysterious Murasame Castle borrows a lot of it's mechanics form The Legend of Zelda, but instead of exploration it has an emphasis on action. In a sense Mysterious Murasame Castle is a sister game to the Legend of Zelda, akin to Kid Icarus being a sister game to Metroid.

Though actually getting a copy of the game is kinda hard though since it was only released in Japan. Your best bet is the GBA version version since that version has no regional restrictions of any kind. Also using emulators doesn't work form what I've heard.

Also I do agree that Japanese aesthetic is very charming. It has that sense of motion and colors that makes things very expressive in a mystical kind of way. Platinum Games in particular developing a hypothetical revival would be very appropriate since Kayima in particular has experience with directing Okami.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was under the impression that Murasame was kind of more arcadey type of Zelda.

And I swear some of you take things way too personal around here. What Manly does on this or that day is entirely up to him.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You gotta buy a regular Famicom as well as the Disk System that works like an add on. The games are fairly priced, but the systems are both very expensive. Easiest thing to do would be to import the GBA port since the GBA (and DS) is region free.

With Emulators you have to download some sort of Bios file, load it and then load the actual rom after.

Here's a good link for a walkthrough of the game.

D

Deleted member

KumaOso said:
And I swear some of you take things way too personal around here. What Manly does on this or that day is entirely up to him.
That's true, but it is not acceptable to post pornographic pictures on this forum. That offense is worthy of a ban and ManlySpirit should not be getting away with stuff like that.

D

Deleted member

Also I do agree that Japanese aesthetic is very charming. It has that sense of motion and colors that makes things very expressive in a mystical kind of way. Platinum Games in particular developing a hypothetical revival would be very appropriate since Kayima in particular has experience with directing Okami.
Ahh, I forgot the team from Plat Games was the one that originally worked on Okami (Clover Studios right?). Yeah, something about that Mix of the Pink Sakura trees, with the green pasture, those orange sunsets and enormous Japanese castles with the Red gates, the White and Purple Snow-capped mountains. The entire aesthetic is so... exotic. I love it. Like, I think on of the newer Ninja Gaidens had a mix of traditional Japanese structures atop skyscrapers, with Cherry Blossoms everywhere, it was really cool, and creative.

I hate to sound like a weeaboo (the only insult that I find incredibly jarring), but, **** man, I love the traditional aspects of Japanese culture. Likewise the Aztec, Inca and Maya cultures all have this exotic flair I find very appealing as well. And the Geography of the New World too (I had to balance it out with something to tone down the weeabooness from praising GLORIOUS NIPPON).

Wrong! They do (at least for FDS. Try FCE Ultra) You just need a bios file to use the disk system-thingie. (-l<>l-);; Then you can play the game. I've done this to death before.
I was thinking about asking my friend the internet to let me borrow it if you catch my drift. I don't have an NES lying around anymore, but I do have NES and SNES emulators on my DS/PSP.

EDIT:
@SuperSmashFan

Wait a sec... When did I ever post porn on here? The most I posted was a bunch of ecchi-esque pics of girls wearing bodysuits. Samus Aran wears a bodysuit too, I can hardly see how that qualifies as porn. Sure, perhaps very risque and not appropriate for say... 12 year olds. But it's hardly even softcore porn as there isn't even any nudity.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would actually like Murasame Castle as a stage with the Japanese aesthetics I mentioned as a main appeal, essentially a stage that feels alive that is constantly shifting in moods. At one point it's a beautiful paradise with flowing water and sakura petals blowing in the wind, then it's mysterious in the night time with a full moon shining in the background, and then it becomes dangerous with a blood red tint and varies shadowy figures in the background.

I'd imagine something like that being quite the thing on the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom