• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

But I asked if it was the same one from B/W as if it was uncaught and you said yes.
It seems you thought I was talking about N's when I was talking about the event one. :laugh:

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Miis are a 50/50 character for me. Sakurai has already mentioned that he had originally thought about making them playable in Brawl in the Iwata Asks interview but downplayed them instead to not group Brawl in with many of the earlier Mii focused Wii games. Besides that they're obviously big for Nintendo and can fit in most games rather well. With mentions of customization, Miis are also the first characters that have popped into people's minds.
(ranting here because I don't want to ruin the supporter thread)

I hate the Miis, they might be ok for games that aren't of a specific franchise, but for anything else, they're terrible. Games like Mario Kart and Mario Party have just become Mii Kart and Mii Party because almost every single person online plays as their Miis rather than picking any of the Mario characters. To have the same thing happen to Smash, especially when people want custom movesets for them, would be terrible. They don't even look good, they're pretty much Playmobil characters with less personality.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd like to remind people that Waluigi is not directly owned by Nintendo, but by a second party company. That's why he wouldn't get in over a third party. Because he's second party, which, as we know, have been less likely for characters in Smash.

Likewise, seriously dude, your insults are poor, and nobody cares if you like the game or not. That's all irrelevant. I don't care if people hate Quest 64. I know they do. I love the game. But here's the thing; You want to insult the game? Fine. I can debate reasons why it's not as bad one thinks it is. Sure. But do not insult the player. Because that's actually breaking the rules.

Moving on, I want the Miis in myself, mostly as the "customizable character", personally. I feel they're definitely iconic enough. However, I do agree they're too passive and not really "fighters" just like the Animal Crossing characters(save perhaps our favorite annoying Mole) generally are not fighters.

So I could see it going either way. And to note, if they're customizable, seeing them online often means they'll have different movesets. So it wouldn't matter gameplay-wise. Still better than nothing but Final Destination...

Anyway, I do agree Isaac is fairly low priority, but I'd still like him over Matthew.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wait, Zoroark is a recurring NPC in B2/W2? First I've heard of this.
Then again, I haven't been following B2/W2 much...
There are at least two that you'll see. One will take on the form of a male Backpacker, and give you TM95 for talking to it. The other one is at Victory Road, guarding one of the cave passages.

You can even get a Zoroark yourself by raising N's Zorua.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
^^If you do memory link you run into again in Team Plasma's base. And on Victory Road it guards and guides you to N's Castle in the End-Game.

yani

Smash Lord
Was wondering when someone would be smart enough to say this. It's just like the old thread all over again. So anyway moving on...

Kinda bored at the moment, so I guess I'll post my current roster here to get some opinions on:

I'll explain choices as questions come up, rather than filling up an entire page as to why I chose Toon Link over Young Link and whatnot.
Exactly what my roster is (aside from Mii's). It just makes the most sense. I'm also expecting something unexpected :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I'd like to remind people that Waluigi is not directly owned by Nintendo, but by a second party company. That's why he wouldn't get in over a third party. Because he's second party, which, as we know, have been less likely for characters in Smash.
He was made by Camelot, but he's owned by Nintendo.
Why else do you think he appears in plenty of games that Camelot didn't work on? And none of their credits say anything about how Waluigi is owned by Camelot like how M&L2 had for Geno being owned by Square-Enix.

Seriously, it's like claiming that Rare still owns the Kremlings to explain their absence in DKCR, when they have appeared in various Mario and DK spin-offs since Rare became Microsoft property.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He was made by Camelot, but he's owned by Nintendo.
Why else do you think he appears in plenty of games that Camelot didn't work on? And none of their credits say anything about how Waluigi is owned by Camelot like how M&L2 had for Geno being owned by Square-Enix.

Seriously, it's like claiming that Rare still owns the Kremlings to explain their absence in DKCR, when they have appeared in various Mario and DK spin-offs since Rare became Microsoft property.
Because he's a Mario character that Nintendo has permission to use outside of Camelot games? Camelot explicitly owns Waluigi. Nintendo, who owns Camelot, either has permission or "forcefully" made sure they did. So, no, I don't buy it since there's no reason they would own him in this scenario.

Also, Rare is gone, so there's no reason for Nintendo to not fight to take control of it, since Rare won't be able to use it. Those are really bad comparisons since they're unrelated entirely.

He's owned through Camelot at best. Which is what I mean by "not directly owned". Waluigi has been a second party character from the start. Likewise, not one article ever mentions him related to Nintendo, besides what "system" he appears on, or what games.

He's a Camelot and Mario character, and just happens to appear on Nintendo. Very similar to the situation with guys like Geno, except the only difference is 3rd and 2nd Party.

If you can actually point to an article that actually shows where Nintendo directly owns him(not technically owning him by proxy. They do own the Kremlings, because they bought the character. Show where they bought Waluigi, please)

I'd like you backup your source. We know he's made solely by Camelot. Camelot is now a Second Party to Nintendo. In fact, Camelot was not owned by Nintendo for a while, till they fell out with Sega.

There is a difference between "On Nintendo" and "owned by Nintendo". He's a Mario character, yes. He's a Camelot character, yes. He's a spin-off character, yes. But he's not directly a Nintendo character(just an "appears on" only)

D

Deleted member

No, the burden of proof is on you. Prove that Camelot owns him.
And no, being made by them does not count.

Or is this going to be another case of "HyperFalcon Logic" that I should just ignore?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No, the burden of proof is on you. Prove that Camelot owns him.
And no, being made by them does not count.

Or is this going to be another case of "HyperFalcon Logic" that I should just ignore?
Creators own a character unless they're bought by someone else. That's a literal fact.

Where did they buy a character they didn't make? That's the only way they can own him.

That's not how ownership works and never will be how it works. Nintendo can only own him through proxy at best. They own him about as well as they own Geno.

So, no, this is specifically on you here. My claim is fully sound because it actually goes with real facts. If you think the creators don't own characters they made by default, you're using actual troll logic.

If Nintendo bought Waluigi, which is the only way they could legally own him, all you have to do is point them out. And yes, I looked it up, in no way do they mention anything about his ownership outside of him being created by a non-Nintendo employee. :smirk:

So show where he was bought and you'll prove your point. He's in the same boat as Geno, to note.(only difference is 2nd and 3rd party, that's it)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Exactly what my roster is (aside from Mii's). It just makes the most sense. I'm also expecting something unexpected :laugh:
Don't tell Spydr, but currently this is what the Discussion Group roster is turning out to be.
My roster's the best. :D

Yeah, I'm expecting something unexpected to happen with the real roster. But you can't expect what you don't know to expect. :laugh:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Creators own a character unless they're bought by someone else. That's a literal fact.

Where did they buy a character they didn't make? That's the only way they can own him.

That's not how ownership works and never will be how it works. Nintendo can only own him through proxy at best. They own him about as well as they own Geno.

So, no, this is specifically on you here. My claim is fully sound because it actually goes with real facts. If you think the creators don't own characters they made by default, you're using actual troll logic.

If Nintendo bought Waluigi, which is the only way they could legally own him, all you have to do is point them out. And yes, I looked it up, in no way do they mention anything about his ownership outside of him being created by a non-Nintendo employee. :smirk:

So show where he was bought and you'll prove your point. He's in the same boat as Geno, to note.(only difference is 2nd and 3rd party, that's it)
This still goes back to the "hurr durr Rare owns the kremlings" argument. (Waluigi part)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

yes, this is an almost impossible dream roster I just made and uploaded. it includes all the characters I currently support, some fan favorites and quite a good dose of ol' retro characters!

basically mix my supported chars with some other highly requested and Sakurai's wish of adding retro characters, and what you get is this.

all characters from previous games except Pichu and Young Link return!

why a roster so large? well... because I'm a bit of a megalomaniac person.

for those who like statistics... in this 67 character roster:
10 of the characters are female
35 of the characters are unlockable (meaning a starting roster of 32 characters)
the most represented series are: Mario (6), Zelda (5), Pokémon (7) and Fire Emblem (6)
characters in blue are starters, those in red are unlockables! what do you think? and... how would you react if this was the final roster in SSB4?

if anyone has any questions about this (rather large) roster... feel free to ask!

D

Deleted member

Yup, more HyperFalcon logic.
Ignoring.

Apparently the fact that Nintendo doesn't have to give legal ownership credit to Camelot for Waluigi like they had to do with Geno doesn't mean jack.

And like what peacock said, there is still the Kremling issue.

D

Deleted member

Don't tell Spydr, but currently this is what the Discussion Group roster is turning out to be.

Yeah, I'm expecting something unexpected to happen with the real roster. But you can't expect what you don't know to expect. :laugh:
I wouldn't say it's the "best," but after lurking around a few places, and doing some reading I can certainly say it's one of the more accurate. Which to me, is kinda disappointing. Every Smash Bros. game has always had unique and interesting characters in all origin, appearance and playstyle. Including the first one. But none of the newcomers in your Roster are exciting in any way really. The only consolation I have is the knowledge that Snake is still in, but even then, there are rumors he might not make it back.

What I mean to say is, every Smash game has always characters that made you go "OH ****, SO-AND-SO IS IN! ****, I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY AS THEM!" Not just Smash really, but most fighting games really, even UMvC3 did this. But when we look at what seems to be the new roster, this just isn't happening, so rather than getting hyped for the next Smash, I'm honestly bracing for a train wreck. Which I guess is for the best, it's never too good to have overly high expectations of a game.

yes, this is an almost impossible dream roster I just made and uploaded. it includes all the characters I currently support, some fan favorites and quite a good dose of ol' retro characters!

basically mix my supported chars with some other highly requested and Sakurai's wish of adding retro characters, and what you get is this.

all characters from previous games except Pichu and Young Link return!

why a roster so large? well... because I'm a bit of a megalomaniac person.

for those who like statistics... in this 67 character roster:
10 of the characters are female
35 of the characters are unlockable (meaning a starting roster of 32 characters)
the most represented series are: Mario (6), Zelda (5), Pokémon (7) and Fire Emblem (6)
characters in blue are starters, those in red are unlockables! what do you think? and... how would you react if this was the final roster in SSB4?

if anyone has any questions about this (rather large) roster... feel free to ask!
Yes actually, why would ANYONE ever want Doc Mario to return? Also Adam? Eww... Thanks but not thanks. And finally, how are Bubbles and Balloon Fighter even supposed to play? Why not just make them assists?

Yup, more HyperFalcon logic.
Ignoring.
Well, in his defense, he's on the money about the ownership of IPs. However, we've seen Waluigi used in many games at Ninty's leisure, including in the previous Smash Bros. so his argument is completely invalid.

D

Deleted member

It's pretty much like older fighting games where you can select an alternate version of a playable character through the selection screen.

The best example would be the original DBZ Budokai, where you can choose between Kid Gohan, Teen Gohan, or Great Saiyaman after selecting Gohan.

D

Deleted member

It's pretty much like older fighting games where you can select an alternate version of a playable character through the selection screen.

The best example would be the original DBZ Budokai, where you can choose between Kid Gohan, Teen Gohan, or Great Saiyaman after selecting Gohan.
Hmm, but that would still be a new character, one that would require balancing and the like. Why not just make the Doc an Alt. costume and tune Mario to play like a hybrid of the two? I mean, back in Melee, Doc was the superior character, and Brawl's Mario was very Meh.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not invalid, Manlyspirit, because we don't know why Nintendo was allowed to do that. Most likely because they asked the owners or demanded it. Either works. Or they bought the character(but why would they if they have no plans to put him in anything but spin-offs? Nintendo has yet to do anything notable with him than the other companies didn't do better anyway).

Which clearly means that nobody is citing where Nintendo would own it, or how they got it. I do believe they could, sure. But please explain when that happened. If they own him, I'm sure one can cite where they bought him, right? Because so far, it's still not Nintendo's IP.

D

Deleted member

It's not invalid, Manlyspirit, because we don't know why Nintendo was allowed to do that. Most likely because they asked the owners or demanded it. Either works. Or they bought the character(but why would they if they have no plans to put him in anything but spin-offs? Nintendo has yet to do anything notable with him than the other companies didn't do better anyway).

Which clearly means that nobody is citing where Nintendo would own it, or how they got it. I do believe they could, sure. But please explain when that happened. If they own him, I'm sure one can cite where they bought him, right? Because so far, it's still not Nintendo's IP.
It IS invalid because you're focusing on the details of a redundant subject rather than what matters, the big picture.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wouldn't say it's the "best," but after lurking around a few places, and doing some reading I can certainly say it's one of the more accurate.
Don't worry I was only saying that as a joke. The word "Best" is entirely subjective. It's just fun to tease when all the vets of the Smash 4 forum come to the same conclusion as I did after months of debate. :grin:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you're not going to give a legitimate response, MS, please do not reply.

Dismissing it over that does not prove you right. It still proves you wrong.

Also, Waluigi for Smash 4. Not the highest priority, but even Sakurai likes him enough for it to happen.

D

Deleted member

Don't worry I was only saying that as a joke. The word "Best" is entirely subjective. It's just fun to tease when all the vets of the Smash 4 forum come to the same conclusion as I did after months of debate. :grin:
But, doesn't that list strike you as somewhat boring? Am I alone on this feeling? Because, as things stand now, I'm actually less hyped for Smash 4, than I was a week or so before I came back to these forums. There's nothing new on that list that's really fun or interesting, at least to me.

I'm gonna try hopping to other forums to see what other opinions are, but I know this place gets it quite well with predictions, I was here for Brawls development, and most of the predictions were pretty close.

Maybe it's time I picked up a different fighting series. Well, with the PS3 being hackable and all now, thanks to those Lv0 leacks, I might just pick one up in a couple months. Haven't played PS3 since I moved away from home.

If you're not going to give a legitimate response, MS, please do not reply.

Dismissing it over that does not prove you right. It still proves you wrong.

Also, Waluigi for Smash 4. Not the highest priority, but even Sakurai likes him enough for it to happen.

I don't even know what the **** we're even arguing about anymore, so I'm just gonna leave it at and that's it.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

I heard that!

Anyway, your roster is actually one of the best I've seen. It's pretty dang god as a prediction. The only thing I would completely disagree with is Shulk. Two minor issues are the eight Pokemon characters (I'd probably cut Zoroark) and Saki (just not totally sure about him), but I accept those as pretty good possibilities.

But, doesn't that list strike you as somewhat boring? Am I alone on this feeling? Because, as things stand now, I'm actually less hyped for Smash 4, than I was a week or so before I came back to these forums. There's nothing new on that list that's really fun or interesting, at least to me.
I don't think it's meant to be totally interesting. It probably seems boring because it has some pretty commonly expected and predicted characters, but that's because it's a prediction and that's part of the fun of the years/months before a new Smash game. Predicting what the roster will be like and seeing how close you are to the finished product.

More of the fun comes when the game is released or previewed and we all get to see how wrong we were when all of these unexpected characters are thrown at us. Basically, prediction rosters will be boring. But the final roster will most likely surprise us somewhat.

D

Deleted member

@spydr

Yeah, I certainly hope most you are dead wrong, but if experience is to serve, this forum is responsible for the predictions of the Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Toon Link, Lucario, Wolf, Ike and Lucas in Brawl. I can hold out for the characters I wanna see, but I'd hate to get all hyped up only to meet bitter disappointment.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
@spydr

Yeah, I certainly hope most you are dead wrong, but if experience is to serve, this forum is responsible for the predictions of the Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Toon Link, Lucario, Wolf, Ike and Lucas in Brawl. I can hold out for the characters I wanna see, but I'd hate to get all hyped up only to meet bitter disappointment.
To be fair, if everyone yells out a lot of Nintendo characters, some people are bound to be correct. It's not like there are an infinite amount of possibilities. Hats off to anyone who guessed R.O.B. though!

D

Deleted member

To be fair, if everyone yells out a lot of Nintendo characters, some people are bound to be correct. It's not like there are an infinite amount of possibilities. Hats off to anyone who guessed R.O.B. though!
I suppose you're right. Some people started calling R.O.B. after seeing some trailers.

Anyways, a bit offtopic. Any idea when we might expect some updates? Last I read, the game's engine was done. Are we getting dojo updates this time around as well?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I heard that!
NOOOOO! Now you'll concentrate all your efforts into changing the roster we currently have. :laugh::urg::glare::p (man this is the most emotioncons I've ever used at once)

Tell that the vets of this forum. Some have been at Smash 4 speculation since Brawl came out. lol

Anyway don't worry too much about hype at this point, I guarantee a trailer can fix that right up.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
^^as much as id like that unless there's a remake for Majora's Mask or he is seen in another Zelda game between now and SSB4, which are both very plausible, i just don't see him making the cut

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
NOOOOO! Now you'll concentrate all your efforts into changing the roster we currently have. :laugh::urg::glare::p (man this is the most emotioncons I've ever used at once)
You must have some crazy mind control powers that you've cast over all group members. I'll have to fight back somehow! :p

Tell that the vets of this forum. Some have been at Smash 4 speculation since Brawl came out. lol

Anyway don't worry too much about hype at this point, I guarantee a trailer can fix that right up.
Everytime someone brings up that thread, I get super nostalgic. I was relatively new to speculation when I became a regular in there... and I sometimes cringe when reading through my old speculation... (I was a big-time patternist... :sick:) but that was the beginning of my interest in the subject. Gooood times.

And I cannot wait to see which characters are revealed in the new trailer. I'm guessing we'll see Takamaru or another random retro character show up, as well as maybe a third party and a character like Dixie Kong.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I still have a feeling that Little Mac will get revealed in the first trailer
I've always thought that too. Oh, and Palutena, maybe?

Speaking of Palutena... I want to get people's opinions on her in Smash. I used to be against her only because of the fact that the Kid Icarus series is small and doesn't really "deserve" a second character, but she does seem pretty popular.

D

Deleted member

I feel it's possible Palutena may be included, but I am also willing to bet against her for numerous reasons, most of which comes from deep though and possible looking too hard at things.
And none of which that includes my personal feelings, as I feel she at least deserves it the most out of the entire cast that's not Pit.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If Sakurai puts in a Kid ICarus character, Palutena is the most likely in my opinion. Only one person is a real competition for her:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom