• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm surprised Sigurd even came just as high as Roy and Micaiah and topping Eliwood actually.
Sigurd is by far the most popular of the Japan-only lords among the hardcore FE set. What this shows is how few people in general have played the Japan-only FE games. Sigurd, fyi, is arguably the most powerful lord in the series after Ike.

In general, people will like stronger lords over weaker lords among Western FE fans. That is why international FE lords like Micaiah are as low as they are.

Its obvious that the Japan-only lords would not do well in a poll among FE fans as to who their favorite lords are.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I always thought Sigurd and Leaf were the coolest out of the Japan only lords, It'd be pretty cool to see them get in as assists at the very least.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I always thought Sigurd and Leaf were the coolest out of the Japan only lords, It'd be pretty cool to see them get in as assists at the very least.
I really like Leaf too. I also really like Eliwood. Aside Ike, none of the lords I like are really popular among FE fans.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I like Ephraim for being predominantly a lance user. It was refreshing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Leaf was cool as a unit in FE4. But I never got to see him as an actual Lord, so I didn't vote for him. Celice actually also isn't a real strong Lord I feel. Sigurd is much stronger I always felt.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Four FE lords would be way too much, in my opinion. This is Nintendo All-Stars. Not Sword Waggering Japan Fun Group Brothers.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Leaf was cool as a unit in FE4. But I never got to see him as an actual Lord, so I didn't vote for him. Celice actually also isn't a real strong Lord I feel. Sigurd is much stronger I always felt.
Celice starts off weaker than Sigurd, but later ends up becoming better than his father by the end of Generation 2.

FE5 Leaf is probably the weakest lord in the series, so you are not missing anything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Focus on unique characters. Redo Gannondorf. Quality over quantity (with the exception of keeping Falco and Luigi; they make sense as semi-clones). Then if you want to do a clone DLC package for a few bucks, do that.
Well, Nintendo's really going out to make Luigi more stand out - probably because he's the only Mario Bro. that can get any sort of personality. I wouldn't be surprised if they make him more different from Mario this time around.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Because there's simply no reason to pad out a roster with stuff like Dr. Mario.
I think its really just Dr. Mario and Pichu for characters whom people did not like as clones (maybe Young Link too). Dr. Mario due to how similar he was to regular Mario aside from the pills in the eyes of casual, and Pichu due to being a purposely terrible character.

I mean Toon Link was pretty much a Melee-style clone and he was still received very well because he contrasted a lot with Link.

As long we don't get clones like "Fusion Suit Samus" or another joke-clone, people have no problems with clones as long as the choices are good and they are put in with moderation.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Guys, I have unbeatable opinions through technicality, there is literally no way to argue against it without being incredibly subjective and most of the ground is even cut out from that.

Here goes. I want character X because I like character X. In my case character X is. . . uh, let me think. . . ANNA.

Boom, there is no amount of hating, no amount of sales data, no amount of logic or reason that could EVER be applied to beat that. None, unless the one chose to be defeated, and that is a noble and tough thing indeed, for some it is much harder than others.

So, why do arguments about characters getting in Smash even exist? Why don't friendly and reasonable debates about probability exist? I want this character. You want that character. So be it. I have absolutely no illusions about her chances getting in, they are slim. Boom, flame wars instantly vanish.
It's because everyone is not me.
I mean, I am the greatest ever.

Go ahead, dispel my illusory opinions.

Wait, I'm thinking about this wrong, if I just want a character, that's not really an opinion, is it. . . It's more like a desire, hmm.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
eeew... all this speculation talk has been spit back and forth from the mouths of every user ever on this thread. Go back to drawing derp characters. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing for sure is that the clone situation in Melee is not going to be replicated again, if Brawl has taught us anything. Even similar characters will be distinctive enough that it will be a negligible pet peeve at worse, which is what everyone can pretty much agree on.

Go back to drawing derp characters. :troll:
Ret's not dunce.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One thing for sure is that the clone situation in Melee is not going to be replicated again, if Brawl has taught us anything. Even similar characters will be distinctive enough that it will be a negligible pet peeve at worse, which is what everyone can pretty much agree on
Yeah, I doubt there will be a bunch of clone newcomers dropped at the end of development like was with Melee. We will probably get 2-3 semi-clone newcomers (anywhere from characters like Brawl Falco to Wolf/Lucas) in Smash 4 though.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
One thing for sure is that the clone situation in Melee is not going to be replicated again, if Brawl has taught us anything. Even similar characters will be distinctive enough that it will be a negligible pet peeve at worse, which is what everyone can pretty much agree on.
Yeah, considering some things Sakurai has said and Brawl itself showing a move away from clones, it's weird that clones are still brought up. We are not in the same situation Melee was in. We're not going to have clones again. At worst we'll have more Lucas and Wolf type characters, and that's hardly a bad thing.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, considering some things Sakurai has said and Brawl itself showing a move away from clones, it's weird that clones are still brought up. We are not in the same situation Melee was in. We're not going to have clones again. At worst we'll have more Lucas and Wolf type characters, and that's hardly a bad thing.
Sakurai had Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik planned as clone newcomers, and possibly Dixie Kong and Plusle & Minun as well.

However, like I said I only expect 2-3 clone newcomers in Smash 4 at most. Roy and Chrom are probably the most likely "clone" (whether Falco-style semi-clone or Lucas/Wolf type) to get in Smash 4. However, even those two have good shot at being unique. Aside from those two, I can't think of any other characters that would be "clone" newcomers aside from Bowser Jr., possibly Dixie Kong, and maybe if Sakurai decides to revisit Toon Zelda in light Zelda 3DS and Wind Waker HD.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
As far as I know there are no clones in Brawl (unless you want to count Toon Link). So if Doc is added, I honestly don't see any problem, as I agree that perhaps there will be no "true" clones, just heavy luigified ones, or perhaps the existing semi-clones will be revamped. And who's to say Doc is going to end up as a semi-clone? I see potential in him to be unique as any other newcomer. Of course if you're against semi-clones, than there is nothing I can do about that.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, let's just say that pra_mai is the biggest mystery in the fanbase that will probably never get answered. Until we get that answer someday, let's just pretend it's nothing.

Well, I guess the clone situation in Melee just left a sour taste in everyone's mouth and lead to the paranoid expressions of what would and wouldn't be a clone. Though like you said, at best these type of characters are going to more like Lucas/Wolf and at worse like Falco/Ganondorf. In other words, the paranoia is not really needed.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sakurai had Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik planned as clone newcomers
I WONDER WHY THAT PLAN DIDN'T WORK OUT I WONDER.

@Habanero: I wouldn't even expect Falco/Ganondorf types either (I would lump Toon Link in there as well). Sakurai just didn't want to alienate players who liked them. The only new characters added since Melee that are close to clones are Lucas and Wolf, so that's why I'd say they're the "worst" example of what could happen. And they're very similar to existing characters, so that's why I'd guess Medusa, Dixie, or Dark Samus could apply here.

ANYWAY, THE CURSE OF MELEE HAS BEEN LIFTED I'M PRETTY SURE.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Maybe because it was lame and Sakurai is lame for thinking of such a lame idea in the first place.
Now that there are actually reasons to interview Sakurai about Smash again, I really hope somebody asks just what the hell he was thinking with Toon Zelda (TOON SHEIK IS AN EVER BETTER QUESTION) and Dr. Mario for Brawl. I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BELIEVE Sakurai would have ever actually added Dr. Mario to Brawl.

@Chrono: I WAS BEING FACETIOUS. OBVIOUSLY SHE DIDN'T MAKE IT BECAUSE IT WAS A DUMB IDEA AND SAKURAI KNEW BETTER. He should have known better than to even consider her to that extent.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Now that there are actually reasons to interview Sakurai about Smash again, I really hope somebody asks just what the hell he was thinking with Toon Zelda (TOON SHEIK IS AN EVER BETTER QUESTION) and Dr. Mario for Brawl. I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BELIEVE Sakurai would have ever actually added Dr. Mario to Brawl.
Really I doubt that question would ever be brought up. I don't think I have ever seen the Forbidden 7 brought up among Japanese Smash Bros. fans either.

Only a sub-set of Smash Bros. fans even know about those scrapped characters, and even if someone were to bring it up to them, Sakurai would probably say, "No comment. *laughs".

I do think if the Wii was able to support DLC like the 360/PS3 were, we probably would have gotten at the bare minimum Mewtwo and Roy as DLC for Brawl, and maybe the rest of the Forbidden 7 with the possible exceptions of Dixie Kong and pra_mai.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It just isn't a very good clone premise. Toon Link is a faster and weaker Link, sure... but you can't really do a faster, weaker Sheik, can you? And a smaller/faster Zelda is just... Sheik with magic.

Tetra on her own, of course, could have a very fun moveset. Just not pretending she's lil Sheik.

D

Deleted member

ChronoBound said:
I do think if the Wii was able to support DLC like the 360/PS3 were, we probably would have gotten at the bare minimum Mewtwo and Roy as DLC for Brawl, and maybe the rest of the Forbidden 7 with the possible exceptions of Dixie Kong and pra_mai.
Isn't Sakurai known for disbanding his team after a game is complete?

It's for this reason why I'm skeptical on the idea of us getting DLC in the first place, even ones on planned-but-scrapped characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Sora Ltd. pretty much requires assistance from outside parties in order to properly develop video games, which is one reason why Namco Bandai is involved with the next Super Smash Bros. game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Isn't Sakurai known for disbanding his team after a game is complete?

It's for this reason why I'm skeptical on the idea of us getting DLC in the first place, even ones on planned-but-scrapped characters.
Likely the very reason Namco is on board. At least they're still around. Seriously, why is it that Sakurai gets work for hire instead of acquiring permanent employees?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Likely the very reason Namco is on board. At least they're still around. Seriously, why is it that Sakurai gets work for hire instead of acquiring permanent employees?
Because then I would picture him working on videogames like a Japanese version of The Office. Everyone knows Sakurai doesn't want us to have what we want.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Sora Ltd. pretty much requires assistance from outside parties in order to properly develop video games, which is one reason why Namco Bandai is involved with the next Super Smash Bros. game.
I sure hope they don't put the same amount of effort they put into SoulCalibur V... a super disappointing game from a fairly poorly designed fighting series. I kind of hope they just contribute ideas like "People love unlocking alternate costumes and accessories!" and "People love our customization options!" and not bring in the crappy mechanic-building that Namco's done in SoulCalibur.

I'll be honest. I'm mostly irritated that playing SCV versus a button-mashing 8-year old leads to a 50-50 win ratio.

That being said, I still want Namco characters in Smash. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pretty much. Definitely glad it was Namco Bandai of all companies, I loved Rumble Arena 2 (didn't they also do that one crossover fighter that Snake was in before Brawl?).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sounds like it's your fault for not knowing scrub tactics. A lot of times when they're mashing, you should be able to jab out of certain parts.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Pretty much. Definitely glad it was Namco Bandai of all companies, I loved Rumble Arena 2 (didn't they also do that one crossover fighter that Snake was in before Brawl?).
You are thinking of Dream Fighter Mix TV, and no Namco was not involved with that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom