• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
He probably didn't borrow moves any more than any other character did, and his attacks are inspired by actions from his game. Sakurai also saw him as your typical Japanese super hero type, and he was made to reflect that. It hardly seems like some cobbled together effort.
Actions? Do you mean the comic book stuff? But besides that, I both agree and disagree.

Man, Gaiden is so underrated.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would not say Diddy Kong during pre-Brawl was in the same boat as K. Rool is in now. For one Diddy Kong was making regular appearances in both the Mario spinoffs and DK games at the time (the only DK game he missed was Jungle Beat). In contrast, K. Rool and Dixie Kong have not been in a Mario spinoff since 2008, and have been absent from the DK series since 2007. Though to be fair the only new DK game made since Brawl (aside from the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games) was Country Returns (and a port of it).
I don't think many would say they are in the same boat, per se, as much as their situations are comparable. I don't believe Mario spinoffs make a lick of difference in regard to DK series representation, considering Dixie Kong was originally paired with Diddy when she had barely appeared at all in them (she was in just two, if I'm correct). The main similarity Diddy and K. Rool/Dixie share is that, while they missed their franchise's last major title before a Smash game, they still remain notable characters due to their 90s fame. Taking the Paon games into consideration, K. Rool/Dixie only missed two games compared to Diddy's one, but since these smaller games have seemingly stopped for good, they have fewer chances to appear anyways.

Side note, it's unwise for people to have high hopes for Dixie or K. Rool making continued appearances in non-DK games, since they're quite distant from the Mario series compared to Diddy, only ever appearing in the titles with utterly massive rosters.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Mario Hoops wasn't that large of a Mario character roster, and Dixie was in that.

I mean, 5 FF guests aside, we pretty much had the usual cast of spin-offs (minus Toad):
-Mario Bros.
-WAAs
-Princesses
-Bowser and Son
-Yoshi
-DK and Diddy

and a few extras: Paratroopa, Boo, Fly Guy, and Birdo (who's a semi-usual).
That's not particularly large compared to say, Super Sluggers, where multiple Kongs and Kremlings (including K. Rool himself) were also thrown into the mix.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Paon only made two games, correct?

I heard people say there was a trilogy.

Also new avatar! Huzzah!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
This is off topic but I thought I'd share this.

Bootlegs are great.:troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To be fair, Mario Hoops wasn't that large of a Mario character roster, and Dixie was in that.

I mean, 5 FF guests aside, we pretty much had the usual cast of spin-offs (minus Toad):
-Mario Bros.
-WAAs
-Princesses
-Bowser and Son
-Yoshi
-DK and Diddy

and a few extras: Paratroopa, Boo, Fly Guy, and Birdo (who's a semi-usual).
That's not particularly large compared to say, Super Sluggers, where multiple Kongs and Kremlings (including K. Rool himself) were also thrown into the mix.
I think sluggers is an exception because of it's massive cast. Most mario sports games have much less in cast

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Do I see another FE debate coming up? Better change the topic before it's too late.

*ahem*

Would you like to see Tetra solo or paired with Toon Zelda?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If we we're getting them without question, I would say together, because why not? We've had three Links, we can have two Zeldas. No one should really care too much.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
If we we're getting them without question, I would say together, because why not? We've had three Links, we can have two Zeldas. No one should really care too much.
Sakurais reason for toon link that he wanted to recognize that cartoonish side of the series. toon link has that covered on his own.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurais reason for toon link that he wanted to recognize that cartoonish side of the series. toon link has that covered on his own.
Huh wait what really? I thought it was because "A child Link was important to him" for smash or something along those lines. Although that's what I keep hearing from the Zelda discussion thread. I never heard of that reason before. Do you have a source? :/

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I could have sworn that was right but i could be wrong.

Anyways that concept still stands. He was added because another appearance of link wasn't represented as the adult realistic link didn't really cover that.

Edit: Okay now Its sort of falling apart since I'm moving from whole games to individual characters...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I've heard he's always thought young incarnations of Link are important, but Toon Zelda was going to be in Brawl. I don't think he has much REAL reasoning behind dual incarnations besides "Roster buffer".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Good, Luigified clones as Lucas and Wolf I wouldn't mind at all if they buffed the roster.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Roster buffing just for the sake of more characters is a pretty cheap proposition overall.
But it happens, and could happen again.

Also how is adding more characters for the sake of having more characters cheap? I mean... really, how?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
As much as we harp against clones, clones with different stats/moves are pretty interesting. My mains for Melee were Ganondorf and Dr. Mario, and my main for Brawl is Lucas. That being said, I really don't like playing as Captain Falcon, normal Mario, and Ness. If they come to the end of the game and decide they don't have enough time for a completely new character, I feel entirely fine with them buffing the roster with last minute modified clones.

As long as I can reserve the right to complain about "too many clones" afterwards anyway. :p

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Unless we're talking about a character that actually can be made unique/distinct (like Ganondorf), clones themselves are fine in moderation

D

Deleted member

Figured some of you might be interested in seeing the results of the poll so far.

In less than 24 hours, I've pooled in 360 different voters. The sampled sites so far are:

Smashboards
4chan
Reddit
Serenes Forest
FE Planet
IGN
GoNintendo
ScrewAttack

Here are the Results:

Who are your favorite Fire Emblem Lords?

(you can choose more than one)
Marth 7%

Alm 1%

Selica 2%

Sigurd 4%

Selis 1%

Leif 2%

Roy 4%

Lyn 10%

Eliwood 3%

Hector 10%

Eirkia 5%

Ephriam 9%

Ike 12%

Micaiah 4%

Chrom 11%

Lucina 12%

Total votes: 1255 Voters: 360

At the moment:

Ike and Lucina tie for 1st place
Chrom comes in 2nd
Lyn and Hector for 3rd

Make of it what you will, just note that this is only in the context of the Fire Emblem franchise alone. It is not voting for who they'd support for Smash, it is simply asking for their favorite picks. So this does not contradict anything seen in other polls such as Shorty. It is simply giving us a view of what they Western fans prefer (hence why Japanese only picks are so low...). And one more thing to consider when making claims.

Still, some conclusions in regard to Smash can be drawn from this. Mainly in regard to Ike, who, from the looks of things, won't be going anywhere...

Also, note that Lucina is more popular than Chrom.

I also wanna state that while 1% may seem small, it's quite a difference. Simple math can give you the results for the difference between votes. Example:

Lucina @ 12%

1255 x .12 = 150.6

This means Lucina has recieved approximately 151 votes. Compared to Chrom @ 11% who's had ~ 138. Now while the difference is somewhat small now, things will be more interesting once we hit 1000 individual voters. Considering the poll was posted on the aformentioned sites a couple hours ago, expect it to grow exponentially by this weekend. Also, Shorty's gonna try to get it posted on NeoGAF and GameFAQs. So I will update you guys once we get to 1000.

Oh, and if you haven't voted already, feel free to do so.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
With the potential availability of DLC, I'll cross my fingers that the "clones" in the final game are the best of the best, or the most Luigified, while the rest are perfect material to release later.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I posted them over in both the Smash and FE sections of GameFAQs and NeoGaf.

I see DLC being one or two unqiue characters (Pac-Man, Tingle) and two or three semi clones. (Pichu, Chrom, Medusa)

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Unless we're talking about a character that actually can be made unique/distinct (like Ganondorf), clones themselves are fine in moderation
Well I think the point can be made that clones are never necessary. You can always have a fully unique moveset. Even Falco and Wolf could become fully decloned and still make sense. But I guess if having a clone is the only way to include a character since there just aren't enough resources to give them a full moveset, then it isn't the worst thing in the world. However, there is no excuse for Ganondorf to still be a Captain Falcon clone. If you don't want to screw Ganondorf players, add Black Shadow and give him his old moves and totally remake Ganon.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Figured some of you might be interested in seeing the results of the poll so far.

In less than 24 hours, I've pooled in 360 different voters. The sampled sites so far are:

Smashboards
4chan
Reddit
Serenes Forest
FE Planet
IGN
GoNintendo
ScrewAttack

Here are the Results:

Who are your favorite Fire Emblem Lords?

(you can choose more than one)
Marth 7%

Alm 1%

Selica 2%

Sigurd 4%

Selis 1%

Leif 2%

Roy 4%

Lyn 10%

Eliwood 3%

Hector 10%

Eirkia 5%

Ephriam 9%

Ike 12%

Micaiah 4%

Chrom 11%

Lucina 12%

Total votes: 1255 Voters: 360

At the moment:

Ike and Lucina tie for 1st place
Chrom comes in 2nd
Lyn and Hector for 3rd

Make of it what you will, just note that this is only in the context of the Fire Emblem franchise alone. It is not voting for who they'd support for Smash, it is simply asking for their favorite picks. So this does not contradict anything seen in other polls such as Shorty. It is simply giving us a view of what they Western fans prefer (hence why Japanese only picks are so low...). And one more thing to consider when making claims.

Still, some conclusions in regard to Smash can be drawn from this. Mainly in regard to Ike, who, from the looks of things, won't be going anywhere...

Also, note that Lucina is more popular than Chrom.

I also wanna state that while 1% may seem small, it's quite a difference. Simple math can give you the results for the difference between votes. Example:

Lucina @ 12%

1255 x .12 = 150.6

This means Lucina has recieved approximately 151 votes. Compared to Chrom @ 11% who's had ~ 138. Now while the difference is somewhat small now, things will be more interesting once we hit 1000 individual voters. Considering the poll was posted on the aformentioned sites a couple hours ago, expect it to grow exponentially by this weekend. Also, Shorty's gonna try to get it posted on NeoGAF and GameFAQs. So I will update you guys once we get to 1000.

Oh, and if you haven't voted already, feel free to do so.
What are the top 5 in general please?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nobody likes Celice / Serlis / Seliph either I guess? Only Young Horsetail (that IS him in his avatar right?). Eirika is as of now still more popular than Roy, and Ike and Lucina lead. Chrom is still somewhat higher than Lyn however. But she is nr.3. Next is Hector, then Ephriam and Marth is in the happy middle of averageness.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What are the top 5 in general please?
1. Ike 12%
2. Lucina 12%
3. Chrom 11%
4. Lyn 10%
5. Hector 10%
6. Ephriam 9%
7. Marth 7%
8. Eirkia 5%
9. Sigurd 4%
10. Roy 4%
11. Micaiah 4%
12. Eliwood 3%
13. Selica 2%
14. Leif 2%
15. Alm 1%
16. Selis 1%

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm surprised Sigurd even came just as high as Roy and Micaiah and topping Eliwood actually.

D

Deleted member

BKupa666 said:
With the potential availability of DLC, I'll cross my fingers that the "clones" in the final game are the best of the best, or the most Luigified, while the rest are perfect material to release later.
Pretty much. I'm hoping that each semi-clone (if any) have no more than four similar moves. With Brawl being a less severe offenders of new "clones", it shouldn't be too much to ask for.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
I see DLC being one or two unqiue characters (Pac-Man, Tingle) and two or three semi clones. (Pichu, Chrom, Medusa)
Around five seems like a reasonable number, including cut veterans of course. It'll probably be just characters planned but cut (which would practically guarantee four Fire Emblem characters).

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I was wondering myself what would be a reasonable number if they're going to do DLC. It would be nice if DLC includes characters that couldn't make it in due to time restrains/priorities, otherwise we won't see them in the game at all. Or maybe a brand new character to promote an upcoming game/series? Whatever the case may be, I'm keeping my DLC expectations a bit low...but I'm still hoping for characters haha.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Focus on unique characters. Redo Gannondorf. Quality over quantity (with the exception of keeping Falco and Luigi; they make sense as semi-clones). Then if you want to do a clone DLC package for a few bucks, do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom