• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Loool Toad of 3rd party chars...good one but yh true also its ****ed if this thread gets scrapped...it has almost 800 pages....with everything from econemy/religon/girls all the way to smash..xD...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think the possibility of Pac-Man has been way overhyped by fans since the announcement of Namco's involvement. Barring the aforementioned possibility of him being some big secret reveal that Namco is steering attention away from by mentioning Tales/Tekken characters, his chances stem from more of a sense that he's entitled to playability due to being an icon, rather than due to making sense as an advertisement or a fan favorite. In that regard, he's basically the 'Toad' of third party characters.
Thing with Pacman is that he's boring as hell when it comes to visualizing a moveset. Nothing about him that would be adaptable to Smash would set himself apart from the others.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
The thread should probably be renamed something like Roster speculation and Reviewing your life.
But more on topic, I don't really like the idea of Pacman in Smash. I get his super iconic and whatever but his 3d self is just gross and i somewhat feel he would be heavily based off a character we already have.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
After all these times, I still do not care if MegaMan makes the roster or not. But you know, I might wanna give the series a try. Which game would be good to start with?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have no idea why people keep using Pac-Man over Lloyd as a Namco rep. Sakurai borrowed the man behind the Tales RPGs, Yo****o Higuchi, The producer of Tales also asked his fans to beg Sakurai to include a Tales character. He also mentioned how he desperately wants his characters in the game so Tales might increase its familiarity in the West.
Probably because I don't like or even know Lloyed and there are a lot of people that don't know Lloyed because his series isn't that popular.

Tales series is niche. Why should they use a niche character when they could use a well known one?

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping that when we figure out something about the fate of Sonic and Snake, that it won't be when the roster is entirely leaked. Their cuts (assuming it happens) is already going to be painful enough, but saving it until the very end are going to make things a lot worse.
If I they decide to cut sonic or snake and when they were to finally reveal it, i feel like all the sorrow i would have would physically manifest on my body as deep gashes and i would bleed out right there.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I totally agree. His pizza-pie cutout is iconic; his 3D version is just off-putting. There are so many other characters better suited to the world of Smash Bros, and will represent Namco's relationship with Nintendo better.

Edit: @PsychoIncarnate
Tales of Symphonia garnered positive reception from critics. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the game 85.47% and 86/100, respectively. Over 100,000 copies were sold in the United States during the first two weeks after its release. In December 2007, Namco announced that the GameCube version had sold 953,000 copies worldwide, and the PlayStation 2 port had sold 486,000 copies in Japan. The game has appeared on many top game rankings and received a Japan Game Awards in 2003 for excellence.The January 2009 issue of Game Informerlisted it at #24 in its "Top 25 GameCube Games".

Selling almost 1.5 million copies isn't that niche. The Tales games on a whole are also SUPER popular in Japan, way more so than in America/Europe.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Probably because I don't like or even know Lloyed and there are a lot of people that don't know Lloyed because his series isn't that popular.

Tales series is niche. Why should they use a niche character when they could use a well known one?
I fully support lloyd with every fiber of my being and I strongly suggest you play Tales of Symphonia! If JRPGs aren't your thing though i get it, but this one deserves way more love than it gets.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If a Namco character had to be added, I'd prefer Pac-Man over anyone else, since he's the sensible choice, but I'd rather just add Megaman to the existing two third parties and call it a day. That way, character resources could be allocated to some Nintendo character who's not a fraction as iconic, but who would offer more, moveset-wise, than 'Chomp,' 'Butt Bounce' and 'Roll.'

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
They need to give lloyd the same treatment they gave freaking Marth! The Tales series is freaking amazing and IN MY OPINION a way more interesting series than FE. To compare i feel tales does jrpg better than most(I suggest looking up gameplay) including FF but FE does strategy/tactics only good at best. BTW I enjoy/like both series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm basically indifferent against all 3rd party characters. But preferably: I'd have none.

Still, I wanna give MegaMan a try. Y'know, to see what'sup with the series. Any game I could start with best?

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man can't be any more boring than Sonic, who was made even more boring in Smash with having two attacks dedicated to his Spin Dash.

EDIT: If anything, the main reason people wanted Sonic is the same reason why Pac-Man is seen as the optimal choice; he was iconic. And Mario vs. Sonic could finally become a reality.

So what is Pac-Man's problem again?

D

Deleted member

I have no idea why people keep using Pac-Man over Lloyd as a Namco rep. Sakurai borrowed the man behind the Tales RPGs, Yo****o Higuchi, The producer of Tales also asked his fans to beg Sakurai to include a Tales character. He also mentioned how he desperately wants his characters in the game so Tales might increase its familiarity in the West.
Let's take a look at this.
KoT: Many fans are dying to know: now that Higuchi-san is working on the next Smash Bros game, can we expect one or several Tales characters in it?
Y: This is a difficult question! Maybe if we beg Sakurai-san, it will happen! I know Higuchi-san would love it, but the decision is Sakurai-san’s. I think it’s still too early to talk about it.
Note this in particular:

"Maybe if we beg Sakurai-san, it will happen! I know Higuchi-san would love it, but the decision is Sakurai-san's."

Note that while they would like to see a Tales rep, the last part indicates that they're not going to beg for it. They understand that Sakurai makes the decisions when it comes to third-parties. I don't think that they're going to make a big push for it and I especially doubt that they are desperate for a Tales rep.
BKupa666 said:
I think the possibility of Pac-Man has been way overhyped by fans since the announcement of Namco's involvement. Barring the aforementioned possibility of him being some big secret reveal that Namco is steering attention away from by mentioning Tales/Tekken characters, his chances stem from more of a sense that he's entitled to playability due to being an icon, rather than due to making sense as an advertisement or a fan favorite. In that regard, he's basically the 'Toad' of third party characters.
I hate when people consider third-parties to be a
privilege, especially one that a lot of people expect, but not want.

There are good reasons why Sakurai is incredibly concern about making the right choice when it comes to third-parties. No matter what people say about a Namco rep getting in, one has to go through Sakurai himself if there's going to be any chance of one getting in. If Sakurai isn't interested, we're not getting a Namco character.

Makes me glad that I grew out of feeling that Mega Man was entitled to being in Smash 4. Knowing how hard it is to get third-parties in Smash and recognizing him as a special treat if he gets in has made me appreciate him even more. I'm glad someone pointed this out aside from me.
Dark Phazon said:
Loool Toad of 3rd party chars...good one but yh true also its ****ed if this thread gets scrapped...it has almost 800 pages....with everything from econemy/religon/girls all the way to smash..xD...
I think a better comparision for Pac-Man would be him being the Zoroark/Chrom of third-parties (at least when it comes to how people view him being in Smash). In other words, many of his supporters expect him but not support him.
Diddy Kong said:
After all these times, I still do not care if MegaMan makes the roster or not. But you know, I might wanna give the series a try. Which game would be good to start with?
Mega Man 3, Mega Man 9, Mega Man 10 and Mega Man X are all good games to try out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sonic in Brawl was even more boring than I imagined him being. I also found it funny he's an awful slow attacker for a guy well known for his speed.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
one has to go through Sakurai himself if there's going to be any chance of one getting in.
Then our mission is clear. Sakurai you had a good run. You gave us a great game and concept but your time as head honcho for Smash is over. We need someone who is going to make the game into the ultimate crossover game. NINTENDO CHARACTERS VS THE WORLD(a game not starring Michael Cera). :troll:

D

Deleted member

Sonic in Brawl was even more boring than I imagined him being. I also found it funny he's an awful slow attacker for a guy well known for his speed.
He's known for his running speed. That doesn't necessarily mean he would punch and kick fast. Case in point, Sonic the Fighters, where a lot of his non-Specials come from.

Unlike Sonic, Pac-Man looks boring as well. :p
That's rather subjective, considering we have characters even more boring in appearance than Pac-Man.
A gorilla with a tie? (Ironically DK is also an example of a boring character that is iconic.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pfffftttt Donkey Kong is not boring. How can you be so hating towards the series first true heavy weight? And the first member of the DK Crew even...

I WILL TAKE NONE OF YOUR INSULTS!!!

D

Deleted member

Pacman=smiley face with arms and legs...
With a rapeface. Instantly more interesting than simple gorilla with tie.

EDIT: I'm not hating on DK. Just calling it as it is, he's a boring character in both design and fighting moves.
Not that that's a problem. It's good to have some bland to go with the flair.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I like playing as Sonic because I feel so freeeeeee~ running around at that super fast speed. I'm hoping he comes back, and perhaps having some flashier moves.

Now, you know who I find boring? ROB. Yeah, it's probably just me, but I do like ROB's appearance and aerials...it's just that I'm not fond of his specials. I find them kinda uninspiring or perhaps I should say too bland. I don't really know how to explain this, but I only feel this way towards ROB, and nobody else. Weird.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ah phooey, not this again about Namco-reps.

I dunno really what to say. SSBF might hit the right mark that Sakurai might just overlook Tales Of-series getting representation because it takes higher-than-high measures to be featured as 3rd party (unless you're Sakurai's close friend/whatever Kojima was). On the other hand, I can't still get too excited about the idea of Pac being in because I still find him boring and uninteresting as a candidate. Not to mention he's not that prominent as himself in Namco's crossovers. (and when he was, he had a mech... SSB might redeem him by making him incharacter, but... still.)

And who knows, Pac might not really hit the mark for Sakurai unless he's willing to craft him into something good and special, I can't see why he would be added with pleasure (other than shoehorning a Namco-icon in Smash in most expected way possible.)

But would this still mean that fans of Tales Of and if anything, all other Namco-fans other than Pac's should just give up and move on? Because indeed, it'd make Pac pretty great for most, but still, somewhat unsuprising secret. I'd anticipate more to see if Mega makes it in.

In anycase, I just hope for Lloyd's appearance (or any about Tales Of for that matter. It'd really help this series no matter how niche it is.)

And seems like we've hit Leaf's lucky number.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Now, you know who I find boring? ROB. Yeah, it's probably just me, but I do like ROB's appearance and aerials...it's just that I'm not fond of his specials. I find them kinda uninspiring or perhaps I should say too bland. I don't really know how to explain this, but I only feel this way towards ROB, and nobody else. Weird.
R.O.B. is probably my second most played character, and the only time I use his Side Special is on accident when I mean to use his Up Special. I usually die by consequence.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It doesn't really matter if a character is boring (which is suggestive), as long as the character is competent. I mean Marth is one of the more boring characters in Super Smash Bros., but because of his effective style of play it becomes a moot point.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
R.O.B. is probably my second most played character, and the only time I use his Side Special is on accident when I mean to use his Up Special. I usually die by consequence.
That happens to me sometimes as well, especially when I accidentally used his Side Special in the air. Damn these slip-ups...

I mean I'm not trying to put down ROB or anything. I like everything about him, aerials, smash attacks, and whatnot, except for his specials. But you can't like everyone I guess...Though when I think about it, Smash makes every fighter likeable, if not playstyle, than personality wise, for me. For example, I'm not that fond of Captain Falcon in his games, though I like him in Smash because of how they portray him, personality wise.

Speaking of ROB, do you guys think we'll get another historic/hardware fighter? I'm really not sure about including one on my roster...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Pfffftttt Donkey Kong is not boring. How can you be so hating towards the series first true heavy weight? And the first member of the DK Crew even...

I WILL TAKE NONE OF YOUR INSULTS!!!

I find myself squatting like that these days.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Putting the caveat of 'everyone can have a moveset' out there, in my opinion, you have to struggle to make Sonic's moveset boring (or add him last minute in place of Roy/Mewtwo) since he has such an overabundance of potential, while you have to struggle to make Pac-Man interesting due to an utter shortage of it.

I'd also wager that Sonic was wanted for reasons beyond being an icon, considering he topped Brawl's poll and was quite literally the main reason people wanted third party characters as a whole since Melee's April Fools prank. People got excited for Snake in part because it opened the door for Sonic. Conversely, Pac-Man was never considered remotely possible for Smash until less than a year ago, when Namco's involvement became known, and even then, he's floated as a possibility, as one of many company characters, rather than an outright fan favorite.

Not that I'm fond of or antagonistic toward either character, but overhype is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

D

Deleted member

I'm basically indifferent against all 3rd party characters. But preferably: I'd have none.

Still, I wanna give MegaMan a try. Y'know, to see what'sup with the series. Any game I could start with best?
Megaman 2 is considered the best in the entire franchise, and with good reason.

I'd say play Megaman 1, 2 and 3 first. 1 is very short. You can probably clear it in a handful of hours.

Then give X a run. Personally I found it hard to get into X.

So we talking about PacMan again...?

uhhhhhh....

I'll see myself to the door. Later.

D

Deleted member

Putting the caveat of 'everyone can have a moveset' out there, in my opinion, you have to struggle to make Sonic's moveset boring (or add him last minute in place of Roy/Mewtwo) since he has such an overabundance of potential, while you have to struggle to make Pac-Man interesting due to an utter shortage of it.
I don't get this "overabundance" of potential you claim Sonic to have, and I have played nearly every Sonic game. Unless you are counting minor optional power-ups such as SA2's Magic Hand and things like the Werehog.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yuui: I guess Kupa was partially referring to Sonic's "character" in means of it having potential? Sonic's movement and style (especially in modern games) that could be described as "acrobatic, cool and fast"? And what else. Made me think of parcour people and what those kind of folk with cool ways of movement. I guess you would refer to Sonic's rolling being his only known asset from looking at the first glance and thus also call him "boring."

What I described though kinda there with Sonic in Brawl, but it feels underwhelming. Something went out of whack.

At least we had some moves took from Sonic Fighters that can be seen in Sonic's moveset... (though why they shafted Sonic Battle's moves is beyond me. Ah well, at least Project M did)

D

Deleted member

Sonic in P:M is like Candy imo. I really liked what they did with him, though I'd still change his DownB to the Bounce Attack.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
^ If they can make it work, then yeah. But they would try keep refining his Spindash techniques still.

But really, everyone in P:M is like candy.

D

Deleted member

Yuui: I guess Kupa was partially referring to Sonic's "character" in means of it having potential? Sonic's movement and style (especially in modern games) that could be described as "acrobatic, cool and fast"? And what else. Made me think of parcour people and what those kind of folk with cool ways of movement. I guess you would refer to Sonic's rolling being his only known asset from looking at the first glance and thus also call him "boring."

What I described though kinda there with Sonic in Brawl, but it feels underwhelming. Something went out of whack.

At least we had some moves took from Sonic Fighters that can be seen in Sonic's moveset... (though why they shafted Sonic Battle's moves is beyond me. Ah well, at least Project M did)
That seems rather random as a way to determine "potential".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom