• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So how you feeling about Sm4she's reveal at E3 ChronoBound?
I am feeling very good that we will get Ridley and Takamaru. I also think there will be some sort of third-party character (Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Lloyd being the most likely).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
At this point, there needs to be more then just characters to justify the next Super Smash Bros. game.

Deny it all you want, but characters are not the only thing that matters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I am feeling very good that we will get Ridley and Takamaru. I also think there will be some sort of third-party character (Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Lloyd being the most likely).
That's weird. I feel K. Rool and Little Mac would be revealed instead. They're like. The opposites. Though I'm guessing you feel Little Mac would ALSO have a good chance.

I don't feel that way for Takamaru. Pretty sure he'll be unlockable.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That's weird. I feel K. Rool and Little Mac would be revealed instead. They're like. The opposites. Though I'm guessing you feel Little Mac would ALSO have a good chance.

WELLLLLLLLL, it depends on if Sakurai sees Little Mac AS A RETRO. If he does, then I would agree with you no doubt that he would be in the trailer over Takamaru. I don't exactly know how I feel about Takamaru not being revealed initially.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
At this point, there needs to be more then just characters to justify the next Super Smash Bros. game.

It was never just at this point, it's something that Sakurai's been saying from before he even started development.

Also stages, but we can't talk about that here so oh well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

I agree. If Sakurai is hoping to get the same kind of reaction that he did with Brawl with what newcomer options are available to him, he might not be able to. Sure the combination of Ridley, Little Mac, and Mega Man might be able to do it (might be comparable to Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, and Snake), but he is out of big character bullets after that.

I think new gameplay feautures is going to be a bigger focus for the Smash 4 than it was for the Melee and Brawl unveils.

I think Little Mac, K. Rool, and Palutena have good chances at being part of the unveil too. However, I feel the best on Ridley and Takamaru.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Well duh, but you are in the place specifically where you HAVE to talk about characters, so.

Ridley and Takamaru is more what SMASH SPECULATORS would expect/want/react to

While K. Rool and Little Mac is something MOST PEOPLE would expect/want/react to

Because really, most people don't know who Takamaru OR Ridley is. At least Mac and K. Rool have a bit more recognizability

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
WELLLLLLLLL, it depends on if Sakurai sees Little Mac AS A RETRO. If he does, then I would agree with you no doubt that he would be in the trailer over Takamaru. I don't exactly know how I feel about Takamaru not being revealed initially.
Of course he would. We tend to draw arbitrary lines, but Mac definitely carries that retro appeal.

Incidentally, I bet if Mach Rider was in, he'd be a good pick for a trailer...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

So.... cool picture.

But! Let's pretend for a minute. There are only four more spots on this roster. Who do you choose for the final four characters?

I see 10 spots. :smirk:

Remove: Dr.Mario, Young Link, Pichu, Sonic, Snake and Random Box.
Add: King K.Rool, Ridley, Impa, Palutena, Little Mac, Toad, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Chrom and Dixie Kong.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as the "add four more characters to the picture" thing, I'd say Little Mac, K. Rool, Ridley, and Palutena, like SSBF said. Heck, Mewtwo and Roy are already there, as well, so it's even better!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It was never just at this point, it's something that Sakurai's been saying from before he even started development.
Hence why I reiterated basically his mindset. There needs to be something done to prevent the series from going stale, not just adding more content like stages or characters. People may think that characters are the only things that matter, but in order to rekindle the fire you have to take a step forward and experiment whenever possible.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Of course he would. We tend to draw arbitrary lines, but Mac definitely carries that retro appeal.

Incidentally, I bet if Mach Rider was in, he'd be a good pick for a trailer...
So you would say Sakurai adding two retros HE THINKS are retros isn't out of place?

D

Deleted member

Speaking of E3 trailer reveals, I'm surprised more people haven't brought up Mewtwo as a possibility on this thread.

With Mewtwo probably being the most wanted character period and Mewtwo being the perfect opportunity to sort-of promote the 6th gen, I honestly think that Mewtwo would bring more hype to the game than any other character. More than Ridley, more than King K. Rool, more than even Mega Man. Admittely, Mewtwo is more likely set to be an unlockable, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used him at E3 just for this reason.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Speaking of E3 trailer reveals, I'm surprised more people haven't brought up Mewtwo as a possibility on this thread.

With Mewtwo probably being the most wanted character period and Mewtwo being the perfect opportunity to sort-of promote the 6th gen, I honestly think that Mewtwo would bring more hype to the game than any other character. More than Ridley, more than King K. Rool, more than even Mega Man. Admittely, Mewtwo is more likely set to be an unlockable, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used him at E3 just for his reason.
It seems like it would be either him or Buutwo(what I call his new form) or maybe they will be able to switch.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hence why I reiterated basically his mindset. There needs to be something done to prevent the series from going stale, not just adding more content like stages or characters. People may think that characters are the only things that matter, but in order to rekindle the fire you have to take a step forward and experiment whenever possible.
I said that before. The well for even Nintendo characters that are well known among casual Nintendo fans (outside the Mario universe) is running dry. Each Smash Bros. game when it was unveiled was an escalation of hype over the unveil of the previous one (Smash 64 did not even get a formal unveil, Melee's unveil was met with hype, the Brawl unveil with the confirmation of third-party characters pushed hyped even further). In terms of characters, like I said earlier, he could easily make a lot of people happy with the unveil, but he won't be able to create a great escalation.

Sakurai has some big things in mind with connectivity, and has been saying all along that he needs a direction aside from "more characters and stages" for Smash 4. Even after the completion of Brawl, Sakurai mentioned that were was a finite amount of characters he felt were even worthy enough to become playable in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

It seems like it would be either him or Buutwo(what I call his new form) or maybe they will be able to switch.
I think Sakurai and the Pokémon Company will try to find a balance between the two, but I'm certain that they will incorporate the new Mewtwo form in one way or another. My guess is that Mewtwo's Eclair Form (not desert pastry) is a Final Smash to Mewtwo, but anything could happen.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This is the last Smash game Sakurai will oversee. I'm calling it now. So when 2017 rolls around and the Wii USB ultraplus is announced, and shortly after so is Smash5, it won't be him heading the project. For better AND worse.

Also, Mewtwo is a shoe-in in my eyes simply because of his new form. He just became relevent. He's already undinably popular. And Sakurai has an interesting twist he can put on the returning veteran.

TPC will probably push for him, Sakurai already likes him, and he's got this new twist to make him more interesting.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I might even say that no new characters could be revealed, and yet people would be alright if the games in question moved forward in someway as a compensation. Better balance and polished mechanics as an example. People might say it's lame, but it's better then spending over 5 years complaining.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This is the last Smash game Sakurai will oversee.

I'm calling it now. So when 2017 rolls around and the Wii USB ultraplus is announced, and shortly after so is Smash5, it won't be him heading the project. For better AND worse.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Lets just hope Sm4sh is the best one out of them all because no doubt it has the potential to be.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I might even say that no new characters could be revealed, and yet people would be alright if the games in question moved forward in someway as a compensation. Better balance and polished mechanics as an example. People might say it's lame, but it's better then spending over 5 years complaining.
I here what your saying its good that your looking at the stuff that truly matters at the end of the day what matters in the long run.

But the Online needs to be 1000x better than Brawls...it just has to be!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So you would say Sakurai adding two retros HE THINKS are retros isn't out of place?
In general, no, but for a trailer I'm not so sure.

I guess my picks would be K. Rool, Mii, Little Mac, Palutena, and Mega Man. If not Mega Man, then maybe Mach Rider? Toad or Shulk might also be good choices.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
In general, no, but for a trailer I'm not so sure.

I guess my picks would be K. Rool, Mii, Little Mac, Palutena, and Mega Man. If not Mega Man, then maybe Mach Rider? Toad or Shulk might also be good choices.
Agreed. And Toad and Shulk ARE good choices. Arguably better than Palutena or Miis for a trailer reveal.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I believe SSBF came up with this E3 prediction first, but I'm forecasting Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Takamaru and Megaman until it's confirmed otherwise, with the possible substitutions of K. Rool or Mewtwo for Ridley and of a Namco third party for Megaman.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Considering the circumstances... Mewtwo wouldn't actually be out of place as a starter, but by tradition I would assume he would be unlockable.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'll give a crap about Mewtwo once his crippling problems are patched up, until then it's going to be a pass.
Well if there taken more notice to balance then im sure he cant get worse then he was in melee...they need to treat like a heavyweight more power for crist sake .its Mewtwo!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Little Mac, maybe Shulk, would be the only characters that I'd feel safe making a bet on for a first reveal. Mostly because they're not weighted down like the newcomers from established series, you cannot tell me they're going to reveal K. Rool or Ridley without Samus or DK at the same time.

Personally I don't care if Mewtwo sucks or not, I just want to see him again. Tailwhip Mewtwo is still better than no Mewtwo in my book.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Little Mac, maybe Shulk, would be the only characters that I'd feel safe making a bet on for a first reveal. Mostly because they're not weighted down like the newcomers from established series, you cannot tell me they're going to reveal K. Rool or Ridley without Samus or DK at the same time.

Personally I don't care if Mewtwo sucks or not, I just want to see him again. Tailwhip Mewtwo is still better than no Mewtwo in my book.
Sad..but i agree so obsessers can main him to try beat high tiers.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You can't be serious. He's third place in your poll and even if you go by the "casual" arguement, more people would know him thanks to Brawl.

Little Mac also has that leisure.

K.Rool does not.
I'm dead serious. Ridley isn't really that big of a character outside of Metroid and Smash4 spec. He's no Mewtwo, and he's definitely not Megaman.

NOT SAYING he's a bad character to reveal with, just, he isn't exactly a well known face

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom