• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
So far I prefer Sami to be a Advance Wars rep rather than Andy, but I still need to play through this and Black Hole Rising. I really did like Dark Conflict's (Days of Ruin) setting more because it actually feels like you're in a war, unlike the past 3 games.

D

Deleted member

They all look way too serious in that game.

Also looks very anime trope filled

The less anime feel to smash, the better
Dunno, the girl with the black hair looks like she could be in a Metal Gear game, I love her design. I'd support her on that alone, like she could be a dual gun wielder if she were in a fighter.

So far I prefer Sami to be a Advance Wars rep rather than Andy, but I still need to play through this and Black Hole Rising. I really did like Dark Conflict's (Days of Ruin) setting more because it actually feels like you're in a war, unlike the past 3 games.
I'd support Sami on the premise of being female and using guns.

Not because of gender imbalance or any of that BS, I just have a preference for female character designs in vidya. And gun users are rare in Smash (aka, non-existent).

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
DoR doesn't get requested a lot because it wasn't released in japan

(don't kill the messager)

@dragon that's an extremely biased roster

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Pretty sure a stage is the best way to represent the Wars series. I'm very unfamiliar with it though, so what do I know.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So... Lets talk about Advance Wars real quick.

If you were to have an AW character in Smash, who would it be?

People always say Andy, but what about the Days of Ruin characters?

Why Andy over them? I personally preferred DoR over Dual Strike, and the character designs are more interesting in DoR. Though Will's tie is still very ***gy.

I really should get around to giving DoR another run btw...
You do know that Days of Ruin and King of Fighters had the same character designer right?

Obviously the character would be Will. Star has suggested that if Snake is dropped Will could possibly inherit his moveset.

D

Deleted member

You do know that Days of Ruin and King of Fighters had the same character designer right?

HO-****!

No ****ing way!!

That's explains why I like their flair so much. Damn, we should get another DoR game or something.

Also, I'd be fine with an AW character taking Snake's moveset if he left. In fact, like I said, that Black-haired girl looks like she could pass of as an MGS character. She could probably do it just fine.

EDIT: Will's tie is still homo as **** though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No wonder the girl on the far right looks an awful lot like Kula.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
hypothetical, let's say nintendo makes a game based on a book (let's say ender's game), and they own the game rights, would/should that character be in smash

D

Deleted member

hypothetical, let's say nintendo makes a game based on a book (let's say ender's game), and they own the game rights, would/should that character be in smash
Considering that said character is not a video game character of origin, no. It should only be Nintendo characters with a few third-parties.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Probably. If there was a game loosely based off of, say, Alice in Wonderland, and it did well. I'm sure the character could be in Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

So.... cool picture.

But! Let's pretend for a minute. There are only four more spots on this roster. Who do you choose for the final four characters?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Depends what you mean by based.
Inspired? With a character which is obviously based on another pre-existing one? In that case there's no problem.
Also if the character already exists, but it's Nintendo's way of imagining it, I wouldn't see any problem. For example the Dracula from Castlevania. Obviously Dracula already exists in basically any kind of media ever, but that particular Dracula is Konami's. So I wouldn't mind him being in Sm4sh, or the Konami equivalent of a Smash game.
If instead the game/character is an official tie-in from a movie franchise, or something like the recent Mickey Mouse of Epic Mickey, that wouldn't be right. But, and that's kinda odd to say, seeing King Mickey from Kingdom Hearts wouldn't be that much of a problem to me since it's entirely Square Enix's re-imagining of a character (I think, I'm not too sure though). Anyway though I'd rather not see him.
I don't know if you understand what I'm saying.

D

Deleted member

So.... cool picture.

But! Let's pretend for a minute. There are only four more spots on this roster. Who do you choose for the final four characters?
I think the best choices would be King K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac and Palutena (if we were to put in a new third-party, I would swap her with Mega Man). Would be a pretty good roster if you ask me.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207

So.... cool picture.

I'm not digging Dr., Young, Pichu, or Roy. So I'd cut them and add in 8 characters!
Nah but srs:
Lidrey
Little Mac
K. Rool
Chrom (Because I'm making the choices yet i cant cut anyone..., so why dafuq not?)

D

Deleted member

I see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. Popularity isn't everything. Sure, it is a majority of what gets MOST characters in, but it isn't the be all end all argument.

For Brawl, Megaman was the top 3rd party request aside from Sonic, and Nintendo didn't even ask for him. Whats not to say it won't happen again? Because Namco is helping with the game, I personally (yes this is my opinion) believe that to not expect a Namco character in a crossover fighting game is to set oneself up for disappointment. Obviously, this sort of agreement isn't solely to get a character in the game, but surely Namco wants someone in, and surely it would seem like a slap in the face to not include a character.

Think of it like this. Sakurai includes Snake as a favor for Kojima. So that is a little different. However, this is a partnership that Sakurai must surely appreciate. Namco getting a character should not be out of the realm of possibility, whether it turns out to be Pac-Man or Lloyd.

Surely partnerships don't necessarily mean that the company assisting with development gets something nice within the game. Camelot helped with Mario Tennis etc...yet they didn't get anything. Yet this argument doesn't really work with Smash Bros. Smash Bros. is a crossover fighting game, including characters from all sorts of different games and universes into one title. Surely, even if a Namco character doesn't get in, it will at least be considered.
You're right in that popularity isn't everything (and thankfully it's the case, else we already would have a few undeserving characters on the roster), but I do feel as it would really help with the case for a Namco Bandai rep. Unlike Snake, thanks to the announcement of Namco Bandai working with a character, there is an expectation among the majority of speculators of a Namco rep. Not to say that a third-party needs popularity to get in, but I do think that had fans almost universally agreed on a Namco rep and push for one instead of splitting into different fan base, a Namco rep would fare a lot better.

It makes sense why Mega Man didn't get into Brawl (aside from being third-party) because Sonic was by far the most wanted character (nobody else, Nintendo or third-party, came even close). By the time they decided to add Sonic, there wasn't enough room to add another third-party (or at least Sakurai saw no one else worthy of one). Plus Geno was a more popular request than Mega Man anyway, so it wasn't like Mega Man had much of a chance.

As for Namco wanting a character, we do know that they have interest in getting their characters in Smash, but I highly doubt that they will see not including one of their characters as a sign of disrespect. Third-parties are not a privilege, they are a special treat that should be used very sparingly (they don't have to even be used). If Sakurai were to add too many or select the wrong kinds, third-parties stop being fun to most people and people begin to hate it. Every third-party character inherently increase dissenters, so it is best to pick the ones that will please more people than upset. I think Namco will view a Namco character in Smash as something they would like to see happen, but given their third-party status, they will not feel entitled to having one. If one gets in, good for them, but if not, it won't fracture their relationship with Sakurai. Hino, president of Level-5, probably wants a third-party more than anyone, but you won't see his feelings hurt if Layton doesn't show up in Smash (and neither will any other third-party company).

The fact that Namco Bandai is working with Sakurai, legendary director of the Super Smash Bros. series, is rewarding enough because they have the opportunity to help co-develop the game and help work on the game. It'll be a great experience that they won't ever forget. Including a third-party character from Namco is simply an optional icing on the cake.

That said, a Namco character will probably be considered as you said. I just don't think that the final result will result in a Namco character.
Welp, no Kid Icarus characters other than Viridi, Magnus, or Dark Pit, then. :troll:
I was referring to characters in licensed games, not loosely based one. Should have clarified that stance.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used to use Habenaro in my cooking, but it's juices make your skin burn in certain areas that lasts for a while

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you are crazy because of that, it would mean that I would be crazy for the exact same reason, so what do you conclude?
We should all just live in an asylum until June.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well Habanero is a spice, so he really doesn't fit in that category.
Oh yeah? Then I am what? A ghost?

By the way, I very much like Ghost type Pokémon... shame there's literally no chance for one to appear as a playable character... I mean, no Ghost type has ever graced to even appear as a Poké Ball!

Drifloon did cameo in the Pokémon Stadium 2 stage in Brawl and as a trophy, though.

Golurk as a playable character would be very cool... but he's too big.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Golurk is only slightly bigger than Bowser's "official" height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom