• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
*FLEX MUSCLES* I don't recall people mentioning an FE13 lord until after I had pointed out that (at that point in time) a new FE would likely be announced soon, and after I had started putting a placeholder "FE13 Lord" slot on my rosters. This was... last May, I believe. NO, because it would have been released the following month if that were true. I guess it was the May BEFORE last... NOPE. June 21, 2011 according to the image file. Three months before it was announced. *END MUSCLE FLEXING*

What I'm trying to say is, I am responsible for Chrom. He is basically my child, and I have rejected him.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Yeah, Shadow Dragon was announced in October 2007, but was not released until July/August 2009 in Japan.
I remember it have Marth fans a bit of ammunition.

Also didn't someon (Chrono?) say Ivysaur was the least popular of the Starter Pokemon in Brawl?

I remember Squirtel and Charizard had their own support threads. I''m don't think Ivysaur had one.

D

Deleted member

People sometimes forget this but, when Smash 4 was announced we only had FE1 & FE3 remakes since Radiant Dawn. Roy was really the only option for a FE "Newcomer" (though he's more of a returning Vet) until Chrom.
Yeah, FE1 and FE3, neither one featuring or even mentioning Roy.

All Roy has going for him is his fan support. Outside of that he stood on equal grpund with other lords. Technically Lyn would be a better choice since she was an assist in Brawl.

Inb4 Roy's data, as for one the data found could very well be vecause they ported Melee's data to do Brawl. Which makes sense since the Wii and GCN have the same architecture.

And two, most of the people clamoring for Roy are ahainst a Diddy Dixie duo, "as Sakurai would go back to explore a dtopped idea." Even though Dedede was planned for 64. Dem double standards man...

Note: **** touch screen smart phones...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I remember it have Marth fans a bit of ammunition.

Also didn't someon (Chrono?) say Ivysaur was the least popular of the Starter Pokemon in Brawl?

I remember Squirtel and Charizard had their own support threads. I''m don't think Ivysaur had one.
Yeah, Ivysaur had the least support as a possible newcomer of all of PT's potential three characters.

What was particularly hilarious was that someone on SmashBoards had the Squirtle support thread entitled, "Lucario? Let's have Squirtle instead." or something along those lines. He got flamed a lot, but in August... :troll:

Charizard is among the most popular Pokemon ever and has had people asking for him to be playable even after the release of Smash 64 and Melee (though he was de-confirmed in like July 2001 when a screenshot showed him again as pokeball Pokemon).

D

Deleted member

Note I should mention, Roy and Lyn stand on the same ground now that FE 13 is out...

That is, the "characters that won't be in Smash 4" ground.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
No no, wasn't there like ONE person who really wanted Ivysaur, and he was very nice about it so everyone tried to let him down easily, BUT THEN THERE WAS THAT REVEAL.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
All Roy has going for him is his fan support. Outside of that he stood on equal grpund with other lords. Technically Lyn would be a better choice since she was an assist in Brawl.

Inb4 Roy's data, as for one the data found could very well be vecause they ported Melee's data to do Brawl. Which makes sense since the Wii and GCN have the same architecture.
Roy has more going for him than just fan support. He is the most important lord of the Elibe arc, and considered a face to the FE franchise to this very day. Secondly, applying your logic, Waluigi would be a better choice than Toad, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr. since he was already an Assist Trophy, and Tingle would be a better choice than Ghirahim, Impa, and Toon Zelda due to being an Assist Trophy. Hammer Brother must also be a better choice for a Mario newcomer too since he was an Assist Trophy. Or Kat & Ana would be a better choice than Ashley since she was an Assist Trophy.

Secondly, it could not possibly just be "imported Melee files" because there was a listing of scrapped victory themes (each character on Brawl's roster was planned to have their own unique victory theme), and Mewtwo and Roy were the only characters on that list that were not a part of the Brawl roster.

You also had Sakurai say he had more characters planned but could not get them in due to time constraints.

D

Deleted member

Deal is, we don't know who those scrapped characters could be. We can only speculate. 2nd it seems to me Roy way have been scrapped early on if all he has is a placehilder for a victory theme.

That aside, it's all irrelevant really... Lets look to the future. Supposing Roy doesn't make it in Smash 4. What does that mean? How would the fans react? Etc...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Deal is, we don't know who those scrapped characters could be. We can only speculate. 2nd it seems to me Roy way have been scrapped early on if all he has is a placehilder for a victory theme.
Its easy to surmise that Roy and Mewtwo would have been in Brawl had Sakurai been given more time, and that is not just the files within the game that suggest so. They were both popular characters within Melee (even though hardcore Smash Bros. fans hated how Mewtwo turned out).

Honestly, you are letting your anti-Roy animus blind you.

Secondly, Roy fans would react the same way they reacted when he did not return for Brawl, disappointed, but hopeful for his return in the next game (or even as DLC). It would basically be the same as any other character that does not make it into Smash Bros.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Wow, the first roster I made for Smash 4 is really terrible and Lyn is on it and Manly you shouldn't feel too good about that.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
That aside, it's all irrelevant really... Lets look to the future. Supposing Roy doesn't make it in Smash 4. What does that mean? How would the fans react? Etc...
Who cares /troll
Anyway, Platinum characters would be neat in Sm4sh. And considering Wonderful 101 is a Nintendo IP, their chances are quite strong imho.

D

Deleted member

Wow, the first roster I made for Smash 4 is really terrible and Lyn is on it and Manly you shouldn't feel too good about that.
Looks to me like you.made all the right choices for the right reasons before getting warped by this thread.

You chose Medusa for gameplay reasons.

You support Ashley deep down.

You at one point supported Lyn.

I'm all for Ridley.

Looks like you and I may be more similar than we thought...

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Perhaps you really ARE worthy if being called my rival.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Looks to me like you.made all the right choices for the right reasons before getting warped by this thread.

Perhaps you really ARE worthy if being called my rival.
WHAT'S THIS? WORDS OF A WEAKLING? DID A MAN EVER MOVE THE WORLD BY THE STRENGTH OF HIS OWN ARMS?

We live in a world of innumerable variables, what man alone could possibly understand it. HE CANNOT. The thoughts and ideas of your fellow man should always be considered. Carry them on your back, and maybe one day you'll have the Strength to move the world.

On that day, meet me on the Summit.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This thread has gone off the rails... again.

It's not like there's much to talk about, since every possible subject has been discussed to death...

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
So to bring this topic back a bit, I'm curious as to which characters are agreed apon are more than likely appearing. I myself think that Takamaru, Ridely and Shulk will happen no matter what, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any other obvious additions that are most likely to happen.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm usually not 100% sure about any newcomers, but if I had to choose, then it would be Ridley, Mewtwo, and K. Rool.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrom could use specials modified from potential skills like Marth SORTA has? I mean, wasn't Astra = Side B )Dancing Blade), Rapier-weapon/Luna = Standard B (Shield Breaker).

Still, if Chrom was to be a semi-clone, wouldn't this lead to a Spacey-styled playable cast if Roy was also included, which I believe would also become a semiclone. If so, I think I would just throw all the faith on unique characters based of FE-series. Two blue swordsmen and a red swordsman uses almost same base moveset.
I would just play as Ike and occassionally Marth again unless Chrom proves to be better.

Anyway, Roy's inclusion just seems to be more of a dumb thing than a good thing at this rate we're seeing things to me. I could forgive Chrom to be semi-clone, but Roy stretches it now. But hey, if Smash Bros wants to be a clone-invested game which hates to be better than it is, then be my quest as I leave this series after SSB4. (Incase that happens.)

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Roys not a face of the series.
The only exception to that is when you don't know what the hell Fire emblem is, in which case your roster probably looks like Marth, Ike, Roy, so you think all three are the face of FE.

If anything, I think the only Lords that have a claim to that title to that title are Eliwood and Marth since they're the first main protagonists for the world or japan. I know a lot of people argue that Lyn was the first international FE lord but your really trying to pull my leg if you say Eliwood isn't the main character here.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Roy has more going for him than just fan support. He is the most important lord of the Elibe arc, and considered a face to the FE franchise to this very day. Secondly, applying your logic, Waluigi would be a better choice than Toad, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr. since he was already an Assist Trophy, and Tingle would be a better choice than Ghirahim, Impa, and Toon Zelda due to being an Assist Trophy. Hammer Brother must also be a better choice for a Mario newcomer too since he was an Assist Trophy. Or Kat & Ana would be a better choice than Ashley since she was an Assist Trophy.
No, because Tingle is the most hated Nintendo character. This is why he has not appeared in the newest Zelda games. He's an assist trophy because that's the best they can do for him.

I say this as someone who is OK with Tingle being playable.

D

Deleted member

Roys not a face of the series.
The only exception to that is when you don't know what the hell Fire emblem is, in which case your roster probably looks like Marth, Ike, Roy, so you think all three are the face of FE.

If anything, I think the only Lords that have a claim to that title to that title are Eliwood and Marth since they're the first main protagonists for the world or japan. I know a lot of people argue that Lyn was the first international FE lord but your really trying to pull my leg if you say Eliwood isn't the main character here.
>Eliwood

That's a funny way to spell Ike. In FE7 no one cared about Eliwood. One could argue Lyn being a more Prominemt figure for westerners than Eliwood. But over all Ike is FE icon for westerners.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Roy was designed to promote the Fire Emblem series, though it's more like saying that Roy was designed to promote Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.

Come on, it's so blunt that you'd have to be a fool to not realize this.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Meh, those FE debates again. :glare:

In the west, there is no lord who can claim to be the face of the series. In Japan, Marth can make that claim. Just throwing my 2 cents (rupees) out there.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Habanero: Roy was just a promotion character? :troll:

Well I can see why he wasn't the one getting the real job done (being the first FE Western Lord despite being so promoted)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom could use specials modified from potential skills like Marth SORTA has? I mean, wasn't Astra = Side B )Dancing Blade), Rapier-weapon/Luna = Standard B (Shield Breaker).

Still, if Chrom was to be a semi-clone, wouldn't this lead to a Spacey-styled playable cast if Roy was also included, which I believe would also become a semiclone. If so, I think I would just throw all the faith on unique characters based of FE-series. Two blue swordsmen and a red swordsman uses almost same base moveset.
I would just play as Ike and occassionally Marth again unless Chrom proves to be better.

Anyway, Roy's inclusion just seems to be more of a dumb thing than a good thing at this rate we're seeing things to me. I could forgive Chrom to be semi-clone, but Roy stretches it now. But hey, if Smash Bros wants to be a clone-invested game which hates to be better than it is, then be my quest as I leave this series after SSB4. (Incase that happens.)
I really don't know what to think anymore about Fire Emblem. Having Marth, Ike and Roy would satisfy most fans I guess. And it's the least boring. Maybe Chrom could warrant as an actual newcomer, but since his design works a little against him in this, a half way character out of Marth and Ike is likely. I however hope he'll still be unique. He seems regal, but wild. Same with Roy actually.

Hence why I am not even opposed to Lucina anymore. She has an excuse being a faster character than Marth due to her frame. Make Marth a little more balanced (a little heavier, a litttttle slower, maybe a little less floaty) and Ike like a true heavy weight, and we already then have a character which'd fit being faster than Marth; Lucina. And fit as in between character of Marth and Ike; Roy. It's the best case scenario I can make out of 3 blue sword lords and Roy as of now. (Discounting Hector, Celice and Sigurd now out of Chrom and Lucina's relevance, Awakening's succes, and Roy's popularity.)

In my opinion, the most likely scenario we have for getting 4 Fire Emblem characters is semi-clones.

Out of the possibilities, here are a few likely rosters:

1: Marth, Ike, Chrom, Roy
2: Marth, Ike, Chrom, Lucina
3: Marth, Ike, Lucina, Roy

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
>Eliwood

That's a funny way to spell Ike. In FE7 no one cared about Eliwood. One could argue Lyn being a more Prominemt figure for westerners than Eliwood. But over all Ike is FE icon for westerners.
I have trouble thinking that this isn't the perspective from smashbros rather than FE itself. In the West FE7 nearly sold more than FE9 and FE10 combined. Considering that almost all of FE10's sales are overlapping the same audience as FE9's, Fe7 exposed itself to WAAAY more players. And of course Eliwood would be overlooked in this environment seeing as Roy was already included in melee and having them both didn't seem probable (and hector and lyn were seen as more unique).

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
feels like another year...

meh. 6.5 weeks ain't THAT bad i guess.

Just gotta keep telling myself "Only 6.5 more weeks until Geno is revealed in the SSB4 trailer!" :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Roy was just a promotion character?
It's kind of obvious that's the case. Roy was a last minute clone for Marth, and a character that hasn't technically appeared in a Fire Emblem game, with his game Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade not coming out for another 6 months. This is further pointed out that Roy was a low priority character in Brawl to the point of getting pushed aside for other characters.

For a character that was designed "to promote the Fire Emblem series", he's a pretty disposable character. If he was really supposed to be a mascot of sorts, he would of been treated better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom