• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Robin / My Unit/ Tactican I few as less likely, unless they wanna cut Ike for him and have 3 characters...

So I'm not much fond of the idea yet.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Habanero: Indeed, and the fact that he didn't get his own game outside of Japan is quite a nasty blow on him. I still say it, being popular because of Smash Bros to most Western audience doesn't stitch the fact that one is still Japan-only. Especially if the fanss don't really care much about you outside from that. (Mother 3 < FE6.)

Diddy: Yeah. He's most remembered.

Man, Fire Emblem's representation seems to be most heated and convoluted matter to us though, really. Makes me feel bit sad because Awakening is a great game and brings a lot of FE's best together (including the characters, mechanics except the magic tome triangle, etc).

Also I feel like warming to Anna more. I could blurt million words about how freaking adorable she is, I want to marry her. Best Waifu ever.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Anna's sorta a jerk in her support conversations (outside of them shes pretty cool).
She may be an easter egg in nearly every FE but I think you'd at least have to be a main character in one to be considered for a slot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No please no Anna. She might've had veteran status similar to say, Toad and Impa respectively. Yet in Awakening she's just one of many soldiers. And according to what I've read, nothing really special.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
We're still stuck on Fire Emblem? Urgh...

We really shouldn't discredit Roy just because he was an "advertisement" for FE6 (though I believe he promotes the FE series as a whole as well). But why does it matter in the end? Roy is still a legitimate FE character and candidate for Smash. I could argue that he's the most important lord in all of Elibe. The fans still love Roy, and it shows in his popularity here, and especially in Japan.

I believe in a Smash world where Marth, Ike, Roy (like what we were supposed to get in Brawl) and Chrom lives in harmony.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Robin / My Unit/ Tactican I few as less likely, unless they wanna cut Ike for him and have 3 characters...

So I'm not much fond of the idea yet.
This is the first time I've ever heard the argument so-and-so is not likely because they're not a clone. :/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah well, I think we've reached that point with Fire Emblem now. :laugh:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

We really shouldn't discredit Roy just because he was an "advertisement" for FE6 (though I believe he promotes the FE series as a whole as well). But why does it matter in the end? Roy is still a legitimate FE character and candidate for Smash. I could argue that he's the most important lord in all of Elibe. The fans still love Roy, and it shows in his popularity here, and especially in Japan.

I believe in a Smash world where Marth, Ike, Roy (like what we were supposed to get in Brawl) and Chrom lives in harmony.
Well if every of them works uniquely together, I'd be all for that, really. Slap Lyn to promoted AT status (summonable) and we're all good to go for me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Well, let's look at it this way. Had Roy never been in Smash, do you think he'd be supported as much as he is now?

I still think Marth, Ike, and Lyn are a diverse and adequate set of characters for the FE series. The only other character I'd think of outside of Roy is Sheeda if we want to go for diversity. Even then, I'm not even sure how a Pegasus Knight could work in Smash.
I'll be sure that this thread gets a new replacement once E3 begins...
Not like it'll save this place for the derp flood.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Well, let's look at it this way. Had Roy never been in Smash, do you think he'd be supported as much as he is now?
This is why I hate the popularity argument. Smashbros makes icons and makes fanbases.

Newcomers have the potential to acquire those same assets but they're criticized because they don't have them yet.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So what if Roy is only popular due to Smash? You can make the same accusation towards characters like Captain Falcon, as well as Ness/Lucas, yet you don't see anyone discrediting their popularity. Popularity is popularity, regardless of where it comes from.

IMO the ideal representation for FE would be Marht, Ike, Roy, and a 4th FE character of your choice.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The consensus seems to be that FE will get no more than 4 characters.

Then, why do most agree that DK will get just 3 characters in total? Or that Mario will get just 1 newcomer?

D

Deleted member

I have trouble thinking that this isn't the perspective from smashbros rather than FE itself. In the West FE7 nearly sold more than FE9 and FE10 combined. Considering that almost all of FE10's sales are overlapping the same audience as FE9's, Fe7 exposed itself to WAAAY more players. And of course Eliwood would be overlooked in this environment seeing as Roy was already included in melee and having them both didn't seem probable (and hector and lyn were seen as more unique).
Well, idk man. I supported Ike for Brawl because I was one of the few who played FE 9 and 10. Still, aside from Marth, Ike is the only lord to be the protag of two titles. And just about everyone likes him.

Anyway,
>implying we're getting 4 lords.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

Then, why do most agree that DK will get just 3 characters in total? Or that Mario will get just 1 newcomer?
FE has a larger need for their characters to be represented. Rather than two main characters with a few other iconic characters on the side, FE has.... a lot.
Amount of newcomers doesn't matter. What matters is how many reps are on the roster. Mario already has a lot.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't if I was in your shoes. The waifus in that game are kind of **** tier.
I've heard the same. You want God-tier waifus? Play Sengoku Rance. It's even a character based turn based strategy like FE.

>dat Kenshin
>dat Kanami
>dat Suzume
>dat Isoroku

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know what, I think I like the idea of Marht in Super Smash Bros. The character seems very compelling and versatile character that it shouldn't be ignored. He's pretty much the hero that this fanbase needs.

Marht.png

MARHT FOR SOUPAH SMUSH FUR.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
You know what, I think I like the idea of Marht in Super Smash Bros. The character seems very compelling and versatile character that it shouldn't be ignored. He's pretty much the hero that this fanbase needs.
He's the hero the fanbase deserves.....but not the one it needs right now.

D

Deleted member

The actual general consensus is that Fire Emblem gets no more than three characters. There are a few who believe that we have a decent chance of seeing four, but most only see it happening if DLC occurs.

As for Mario, most people are split between the franchise either getting a newcomer or not. I think that franchise will be the hardest to guess since there's several candidates for a potential fifth Mario spot along with the possibility that we might not get a fifth slot.

D

Deleted member

No, it's the hero this fanbase deserves.

Marht and ****.

EDIT: DAMMIT SHIN!!!!

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
If we were to get 4 FE reps(which I really don't see us getting more than 3 though) it possibly could be
Marth
Ike
Lyn
Roy
Not sure how well it would work out but that's what I would like to see

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Unique Roy, and possibly semi-cloned Chrom or Lucina seems most likely now. Or the other way around. Lyn still has the moveset potential I want most though. Especially since Ike could make a good heavy weight like Hector.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know what, Sakurai even stated he had trouble deciding for a Fire Emblem newcomer pre-Brawl. But when IS suggested him Ike, he made him a strong heavy weight, 'even though he looks light' ; as said so by himself.

I think he's in serious trouble deciding himself right now. :laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So what if Roy is only popular due to Smash? You can make the same accusation towards characters like Captain Falcon, as well as Ness/Lucas, yet you don't see anyone discrediting their popularity. Popularity is popularity, regardless of where it comes from.

IMO the ideal representation for FE would be Marth, Ike, Roy, and a 4th FE character of your choice.
You are right that popularity is popularity, BUT if you were to listen to a particular audience, who do you listen to? With Earthbound, do I pick Jeff because that's who the Smash fans - most of which have never played Earthbound - want? Or, do I take a look and see who the actual fans of Earthbound want? It could be very well that the demands of the Smash fanbase line up with the Earthbound fanbase, or not.

Likewise, let's look at Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Both the Marvel and Capcom fanbases had widely different character preferences. The Capcom fans mostly wanted the return of some characters from MvC2 like Psylocke, Venom, and Rogue. However, to the Marvel fans, these characters hadn't been all that relevant since the 90's. The Marvel fans, meaning those that read the comics, had a much different set of characters in mind. In fact, the characters that did show up by UMvC3 more or less lined up with what the Marvel fans wanted even if there were some that seem like somewhat "promotional" choices like Rocket Raccoon whose Guardians of the Galaxy movie is due next year.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Unique Roy, and possibly semi-cloned Chrom or Lucina seems most likely now. Or the other way around. Lyn still has the moveset potential I want most though. Especially since Ike could make a good heavy weight like Hector.
A unique Roy and a semi clone Chrom or Lucina would be the same development wise as a unique tacitican and a semi clone Chrom or Lucina. You just went against you own reasons against the character.

Sorry if I'm nagging. But the debate against Robin as a character seems to always end with "I have a hunch" without exploring the reasons behind what makes a good character. It sort of annoys me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here's something for you to think about, and I'm not siding any which way for the Avatar:

Is there something the Avatar has that no other character, including those outside of Fire Emblem, has or can do more of than the Avatar?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, that would depend on...

HUGE SPOILER BELOW:

Which future he or she came from...

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Here's something for you to think about, and I'm not siding any which way for the Avatar:

Is there something the Avatar has that no other character, including those outside of Fire Emblem, has or can do more of than the Avatar?
There's an endless possibility for interesting moves with magic. To say that we've got it covered with ness, lucas and zelda is completely wrong. FE magic is iconic and would be a great addition. Look at my thread if you want to see one idea.

As its stands the FE representation looks like its nothing but fancy males with oddly colored hair, a special sword and a cape. This completely ignores the extremely prominent other half of fire emblem. That is the magic units. Somebody not exposed to the actual game may not even realize these people exist. I say broaden the FE roster to something that shows what FE really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom