• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yo, Sword of Seals fire attacks with Roy breathing ice...damn, he just gained a level in badass. C'mon Roy, you just need to tap into your inner dragon heritage!
That would be a great plot point in a hypothetical FE6 sequel or remake. I certainly think it would shut people up about him being a bad unit.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If you're comparing Chrom to Marth, I don't think you're familiar with the character.
Wields the exact same weapon, is his descendant, and also does not have a flashy fighting stance/flame sword...

Godd question. What bear am I anyway?
Depends, do you want a good answer or the troll "Winnie the Pooh" answer? :p

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Wields the exact same weapon and is his descendant and is also does not have a flashy fighting stance/flame sword...
'Cuase if you have the same weapon (although having a completely different appearance and size) and are related you MUST fight exactly the same, right?. If it helps the argument that they're not similar Tiki mentions in her support to the Avatar that Chrom is nothing like marth. She says that Chrom more so resembles the hero Anri who came before Marth.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So what you are saying is we needed more ph1r3? I agree. All of Roy's attacks should have fire involved, and Roy should even breathe fire like Bowser/Charizard. :troll:
Well, more fire would sound appealing. You know, something that will make Roy more then a cheap Marth wannabe. I wouldn't be ******** about Roy much if he wasn't an inferior Marth, but as long as that stigma is imprinted in my head, expectations are not strong. A similar thing happens with Mewtwo, who's bad design gave me a sour taste in my mouth and is the reason why Mewtwo does not sound appealing in Super Smash Bros.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well, more fire would sound appealing. You know, something will make Roy more then a cheap Marth wannabe. I wouldn't be *****ing about Roy much if he wasn't an inferior Marth, but as long as that stigma is imprinted in my head, expectations are not strong. A similar thing happens with Mewtwo, who's bad design gave me a sour taste in my mouth and is the reason why Mewtwo does not sound appealing in Super Smash Bros.
What was wrong with Mewtwo's ''Design'' in Melee?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
That would be a great plot point in a hypothetical FE6 sequel or remake. I certainly think it would shut people up about him being a bad unit.
That would be very interesting indeed, and I'm personally hoping for this if we ever do get a FE6 remake or whatever. Even if he's just a quarter dragon, don't think it would be too far fetched if given some dragon-like powers.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What was wrong with Mewtwo's ''Design'' in Melee?
A lack of synergy with his attributes. A large target with a light frame and a slow falling and dashing speed, with attacks that don't exactly compliment Mewtwo's style of play.

While Mewtwo can be improved, actions speak louder then words. Until the actions happen, Mewtwo is pretty unappealing.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That would be very interesting indeed, and I'm personally hoping for this if we ever do get a FE6 remake or whatever. Even if he's just a quarter dragon, don't think it would be too far fetched if given some dragon-like powers.
Though you'd run into the fact that only one of Roy's mothers is even part dragon...unless Lyn and Fiora had some secret family history we haven't heard about....

Though that does give me an interesting idea for a gameplay mechanic....

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Though you'd run into the fact that only one of Roy's mothers is even part dragon...unless Lyn and Fiora had some secret family history we haven't heard about....
Yeah...unless they somehow make/confirm that Ninian is Roy's canon mother (which y'know FE7 tries to hint at that. But of course you can marry whoever you want). Then I could see that happening...but still it's one of my pipe dreams lol

Anyway, on Mewtwo. He's one of my most wanted newcomers but I never play as him in Melee, even though I like the pokemon in general. Now matter how long I practice with him, he never "clicks" with me...it's hard to explain, but I kinda feel frustrated playing him because of that...and Mewtwo is the only character that does that to me. Weird. But still, I think he has potential of becoming a fun character because of his many psychic abilities that would be neat if played up.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
'Cuase if you have the same weapon (although having a completely different appearance and size) and are related you MUST fight exactly the same, right?. If it helps the argument that they're not similar Tiki mentions in her support to the Avatar that Chrom is nothing like marth. She says that Chrom more so resembles the hero Anri who came before Marth.
So semi-clone then? And I believe what Tiki said had more to do with their personalities than anything.

Probably because the world's most powerful Pokemon is reduced to using Tail Whip.
And like Ganondorf, the best way to make them awesome again is by giving them swords. :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah...unless they somehow make/confirm that Ninian is Roy's canon mother (which y'know FE7 tries to hint at that. But of course you can marry whoever you want). Then I could see that happening...but still it's one of my pipe dreams lol
Actually, assuming a hypothetical FE6 remake gets bundled with an FE7 remake, I had an idea for a gameplay mechanic that could solve that little issue:
Basically, whatever mother Roy has affects what he promotes in to. If Lyn is his mother, he'd promote into a Blade Lord or something similar. If Fiora is his mom, he'd promote into a Knight Lord just like his dad. And if Ninian is his mom, he'd promote into a "Dragon Lord", which allows him to transform into an Ice Dragon

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
So semi-clone then? And I believe what Tiki said had more to do with their personalities than anything.
I can get why people compare chrom to ike seeing as he cleaves his enemy with a fairly large sword but not marth. Chrom never pokes people with a sword. Hes not a nimble fencer whose quick on his feet like marth appears to be.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Actually, assuming a hypothetical FE6 remake gets bundled with an FE7 remake, I had an idea for a gameplay mechanic that could solve that little issue:
Basically, whatever mother Roy has affects what he promotes in to. If Lyn is his mother, he'd promote into a Blade Lord or something similar. If Fiora is his mom, he'd promote into a Knight Lord just like his dad. And if Ninian is his mom, he'd promote into a "Dragon Lord", which allows him to transform into an Ice Dragon
That's actually an interesting idea with the mothers. Roy promoting to Dragon Lord and transforming into an Ice Dragon? Do want. FE6 bundled with 7 remake might be one of the best FE games if there's going to be ideas like this. Ah, I'm still having hope...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I could argue that Chrom is deserving considering his blood ties with Marth and the game Fire Emblem: Awakening being pretty much Fire Emblem All-Stars. But outside of that, it's hard to justify Chrom considering how uninteresting the character is in terms of capabilities.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I can get why people compare chrom to ike seeing as he cleaves his enemy with a fairly large sword but not marth. Chrom never pokes people with a sword. Hes not a nimble fencer whose quick on his feet like marth appears to be.
Depends, Marth in FE1 (and maybe FE3, tough to tell) and in Smash never really fenced anyone (the latter up until Brawl for 1 special move). As for speed that's debatable, FE13 draws it's cutscenes out really long, while Marth, who was never seen as a fast character up until Melee (play FE1/3), and Ike who's ridiculously fast in FE9/10 is slow and sluggish in Brawl.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Depends, Marth in FE1 (and maybe FE3, tough to tell) and in Smash never really fenced anyone (the latter up until Brawl for 1 special move). As for speed that's debatable, FE13 draws it's cutscenes out really long, while Marth, who was never seen as a fast character up until Melee (play FE1/3), and Ike who's ridiculously fast in FE9/10 is slow and sluggish in Brawl.
So if you concede that their play style can differ from their source material then why did you think he was going to be a clone in the first place? I mean if it can change, then there's no reason for it to be the same.
There's not a reason for him to be added late into development so time restraints isn't really an excuse.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I could argue that Chrom is deserving considering his blood ties with Marth and the game Fire Emblem: Awakening being pretty much Fire Emblem All-Stars. But outside of that, it's hard to justify Chrom considering how uninteresting the character is in terms of capabilities.
Bowser junior confirmed due to blood ties. :troll:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So if you concede that their play style can differ from their source material then why did you think he was going to be a clone in the first place? I mean if it can change, then there's no reason for it to be the same.
There's not a reason for him to be added late into development so time restraints isn't really an excuse.
He could be unique, but he could also end up like Lucas (who was added early in development, still ended up as a semi-clone, and who also did not follow source material). All that aside looking at what we know about Chrom so far and how he fights in game, he has not caught the interest of anyone bar a gimmicky tag team with Lucina that has already failed to work in Brawl, and in some ways how he fights does resemble Marth's fighting style from Smash. It's not that unreasonable at this point to see him as a character with a large chance at being semi-clone (as I stated in my first post about not being able to imagine a unique moveset). Yes, as you said, it's entirely subjective, but it does say a lot when it's a widely held opinion.

Since this argument really can't go any farther than this, if you do have an idea for how he should fight go post it in the Chrom/Moveset thread. :)

D

Deleted member

Should start rambling about the days of old when Palutena vs Medusa fought daily, Ridley before he went on a diet, Roy was the only FE character who mattered, Zoroark still had a movie, and when Victini and Impa where things.
Damn... You've all been at this for quite a while for Roy to be the inly relevant FE character... Now I see why you're all so desperate for info...

Also, why was Palutena vs. Medusa ever a debate? Seems prettyobvious to me who the better chouce is and I've never played a single KI game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Damn... You've all been at this for quite a while for Roy to be the inly relevant FE character... Now I see why you're all so desperate for info...

Also, why was Palutena vs. Medusa ever a debate? Seems prettyobvious to me who the better chouce is and I've never played a single KI game.
Roy did not have serious competition for the third FE character spot until FE13 was announced, which was September 2011. 1.5 years ago is not a long time ago.

As for Palutena vs. Medusa, the reason why there was so many people backing Medusa was because:
1. Medusa was seen as two-fer (female and a villain), killing two birds with one stone.
2. The general perception among Smash Bros. fans that villains are more important than side characters (though they tend to forget that in Smash Bros. that sidekick character typically gets in before the antagonist).
3. They felt Palutena was too passive to be in, and that she could not fight.
4. They felt Palutena was already ruled out due to being a part of Pit's Final Smash.

I might be forgetting some other inane reason they used, but that is pretty much it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Keep in mind that Palutena had absolutely no moveset potential before Uprising. So when we got Uprising's first trailer, many people went to Medusa because of moveset potential "that would make sense and not be completely made up."

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
My stance was that Medusa was just much more interesting as a fighter since she could do anything Palutena could, and more. Turning people to stone, using her snakes and what not. But I was focusing too much on adding interesting fighters, and not looking at other merits. I mean, that's why I supported Bowser Jr. instead of Toad. BUT NO MORE.

D

Deleted member

So he has T3H R4D14T10N? Edit: Probably has T3H C4NC3R too.

I'll see what I can do.
Radiation doesn't give you cancer, it kills cancer.

So what you are saying is we needed more ph1r3? I agree. All of Roy's attacks should have fire involved, and Roy should even breathe fire like Bowser/Charizard. :troll:
If Roy could breathe fire, I'd like him a lot more...

bobadz

Smash Ace
Roy did not have serious competition for the third FE character spot until FE13 was announced, which was September 2011. 1.5 years ago is not a long time ago.

As for Palutena vs. Medusa, the reason why there was so many people backing Medusa was because:
1. Medusa was seen as two-fer (female and a villain), killing two birds with one stone.
2. The general perception among Smash Bros. fans that villains are more important than side characters (though they tend to forget that in Smash Bros. that sidekick character typically gets in before the antagonist).
4. They felt Palutena was already ruled out due to being a part of Pit's Final Smash.

I might be forgetting some other inane reason they used, but that is pretty much it.
1 and 4 are kinda understandable, but if 2 and 3 mattered, we would have had Another F zero rep by brawl and Zelda and Peach would be cut.

D

Deleted member

My stance was that Medusa was just much more interesting as a fighter since she could do anything Palutena could, and more. Turning people to stone, using her snakes and what not. But I was focusing too much on adding interesting fighters, and not looking at other merits. I mean, that's why I supported Bowser Jr. instead of Toad. BUT NO MORE.
Suddenly Medusa sounds more interesting than Palutena...

He might have had more competition had I been around... Oh well, not like it matters. It would just have been more of the same.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
He might have had more competition had I been around... Oh well, not like it matters. It would just have been more of the same.
I am talking about how Roy was seen as the only likely choice for a FE newcomer up until FE13. If there was another realistic choice aside from Roy it was some placeholder "FE13 lord".

D

Deleted member

Nah, I still would have argued for a certain Green-haired girl over him.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Suddenly Medusa sounds more interesting than Palutena...
WELL, you should remember this was before we knew much about Uprising at all. A lot of my ideas for why Medusa would be more interesting were because I was basically making up everything based only on her being a goddess of darkness. Was even suggesting things like her forming the lower half of her body into a snake's body to "slither" around in the air as an Up Special. Most of the theme I had given her in my head revolved around her forming snakes out of dark magic to attack from a long range.

Essentially, these are also things Palutena could do, just replace snakes with "beams of light," but you could probably understand why I might think Medusa was more interesting, if only because of her added FLAIR.

Also I really wanted her A combo to be a multi-hit attack with her snake hair.

bobadz

Smash Ace
People sometimes forget this but, when Smash 4 was announced we only had FE1 & FE3 remakes since Radiant Dawn. Roy was really the only option for a FE "Newcomer" (though he's more of a returning Vet) until Chrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom