• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A lot of these seem like your usual run of the mill RPG moves but with different names for status effects(which aren't implemented in Smash like they are in an RPG)
Hey. He has more to work with than Fire Emblem characters.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I really feel like any new counter move put in the game will need a new shtick. Lucario's was slightly different than the sword users, but mostly it was just worse.

Edit: Mostly I was being smarmy. I've never played Xenoblade, but finding his cannon moves is pretty dang easy. While most of those moves refer to things that aren't in Smash, there certainly are enough that can be adapted. I'm sure the Shulk thread has several entirely viable movesets.

Heck, I'll slap together a moveset and put it in that thread.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Hey. He has more to work with than Fire Emblem characters.
you know who has even better abilities to work with though...Lloyd Irving. Obviously he has way lower chances, but I only brought this up to say that he would be a way more original(moveset wise), fun character to work with.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
you know who has even better abilities to work with though...Lloyd Irving. Obviously he has way lower chances, but I only brought this up to say that he would be a way more original(moveset wise), fun character to work with.
I mean, the Tales series is as close to a JRPG playing like Smash Bros as you can get. Having a representative from Tales would be great and make a lot of sense; his chances aren't even that low with Namco helping out this time.

Yeah, Peach's counter also feels awful compared to the FE counters. When discussing Poo from Earthbound I proposed him having a Mirror counter where he absorbs any attack and instantly repeats it back, there's an example of an effective but different counter. Even something as simple as a counter that stuns instead of hitting back would work well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Another example would be that a counter provides a hard knockdown, but no way to combo out of it. In SFxTK, Asuka and Heihachi both have counters. Asuka's will take any non-throw/projectile attack and reversal it to put the opponent on the ground. Heihachi's can be combo'd into but requires a proper read as to which move you're countering. Then there's King where his reversals will counter either high/mid punches or kicks depending on the counter used.

Then there's other things like a parry that gives the user a slight advantage to act before the opponent can.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I'm not too fond of Lucario's counter. However, I like the fact that it can lead to nifty combos, especially using reverse Double Team. I'd love a character getting a unique counter move that hasn't been exploited yet...and there are some nice ideas here.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Lucario's counter being changed into a random throw would be fun to see since his throws tend to lead to interesting potions.

EDIT: Not to mention two of his throws can be used as KO moves.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Please Sakurai make Down B Reversal and just give up on that STUPID, ****ING, Aura gimmick.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Aura was pretty useful in doubles and let Lucario go from tank to sweeper in a single stock as needed. Lucario is such a strong performer in 2v2s because of aura.

EDIT because ninja: Get rid of PT. Period.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Isaac, Shulk, AND Saki
If possible, all three.
If two, Isaac + Shulk/Saki
If one, Isaac.

@Counters
I hardly ever use them. Luckily I don't main any of the characters which have counter specials.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Let's not be hating on Isaac, now! Isaac is so cool he makes every non-Takamaru swordsman look like Jigglypuff. :cool:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link would sure love it to be able to do a Wall Of Pain™...

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Let's not be hating on Isaac, now! Isaac is so cool he makes every non-Takamaru swordsman look like Jigglypuff. :cool:
Are you implying that Isaac makes Roy look like a Jigglypuff? It's ok. NOT LIKE I WAS ABOUT TO ADD ISAAC TO MY ROSTER ANYWAY.

:troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Something new to discuss, eh? Well, there is this one statement I've made a few pages back.

To me, something that is interesting is something that can bring a certain characteristic on the roster that has not been explored yet.
This statement regards to something that can be distinctive, something that can stand out in it's own way. Whether it's cosmetics or capabilities, the character in question has to be something interesting that can grab peoples attention. If the character lacks ether distinction, there's not going to be much to talk about. As Sakurai himself puts it, a character "that would make people play the game".

However, let's just say whatever character that falls into the distinctive pile varies between people. For me the idea of an distinctive character is something fresh that hasn't been explored yet. Like for example, Dillon. Dillon is a character that brings out vibes of the wild west from the 1800's, with both the character and the surrounding universe borrowing heavily from it. The character also has a fairly distinctive fighting style involving using a combination of claws and rolling, which in a setting like Super Smash Bros. could lead to the probabilities of an effective move set.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno how you can say THAT, and hold the belief that Isaac is boring as a character for Smash.

And then you bring up some Sonic and Sheriff lovechildLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLIdidn'tmeanit.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Isaac has just as much potential as Dillon and vice versa.

You can't deny that.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Isaac has just as much potential as Dillon and vice versa.

You can't deny that.
Well, yes technically he can. Now whether he's right or not is another story. :troll:

He's a generic RPG hero from a generic RPG. That sounds boring to me, but apparently people like bland stuff so whatever.
Nintendo heroes in general(at least, the ones everyone knows about) tend to be bland and generic.

Heres something interesting i found for Mario.

Blegh. Mario doesn't need a stance changing gimmick. I'll never understand people who want characters to get their movesets reinvented every other game just to be "recent" or "unique" or whatever the justification is for this mess right here.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
He's a generic RPG hero from a generic RPG. That sounds boring to me, but apparently people like bland stuff so whatever.
Golden Sun was undeniably one of the greatest 32-bit games to grace the GBA. I wouldn't necessarily brand it as generic but I can see your point about Isaac's character though. He's not nearly as dynamic as some, but then again look at characters like Ice Climbers and Jigglypuff, they're not exactly hero material either. Even Lucas was a more interesting character than Ness in the Mother games.

Edit: Personally I feel like Isaac can most definitely bring an entirely new dynamic to the Smash Bros. Universe in being a magic-knight that can utilize summons and terraforming. While I also agree that characters like Dillon and Takamaru can also bring unique playstyles and themes to the Smash Bros. Universe, so can Isaac.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's not about potential, it's more about being distinctive.

If you want to know what I mean, take a look at Chrom and Takamaru. Which character stands out more? Which one looks more appealing? To me, the idea of Chrom sounds dull considering we already have a few characters of his ilk like Marth and Ike. Takamaru has that more distinct character to him due to being a character that blends characteristics often associated with ninja and samurai, and in general bringing a different flavor of culture in the form of ancient Japan.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THINGS THAT DON'T MEAN ANYTHING. Even in the most boring way he could REASONABLY be implemented, he'd still be unlike anyone we have in Smash. I don't necessarily mean he would be SUCH AN AMAZING CHARACTER, just literally he actually adds something new to the roster. I mean, MAYBE I'm overestimating him, since I've never played his games and really don't care to, but even looking at Golden Sun Wiki and pulling directly from what Venus Adepts can do, those abilities seem like great additions to the roster? And with such a broad ability, it's not hard to imagine some tacked on gimmick or whatever that makes him stand out even more if that's what you want.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO DEFEND ISAAC FROM YOU... You big meanie.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you want to know what I mean, take a look at Chrom and Takamaru. Which character stands out more? Which one looks more appealing? To me, the idea of Chrom sounds dull considering we already have a few characters of his ilk like Marth and Ike. Takamaru has that more distinct character to him due to being a character that blends characteristics often associated with ninja and samurai, and in general bringing a different flavor of culture in the form of ancient Japan.
One problem with this statement. And I'm not sure you were aware that it happened.

This stuff is subjective. Just because I think Takamaru is boring doesn't mean you do. Likewise just because I think Isaac is great doesn't mean you do. There is no right answer here. Just people's opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom