• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Awww man, and all this because I just said "I like Chrom"?

Might now just make me cling into him more as the guy I want to play as in Smash Bros because if none cares, but I did, then what do I have to lose? I still find him somewhat likeable (as traditional/generic as he might be... come.)
This guy still represents what might become one of my most fave Nintendo-games of all time.

And I'll see what I think of the game's story and characters themselves later. Just wanted to give my first impressions.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@Kiwi : The game itself is definitely worth the 15 bucks. I just finished the last level last week, and it was pretty intense. Although, maybe practice the demo a bit more before the purchase if you thought it was difficult. I personally didn't find the game too difficult, but that may be because I have somewhat of a musical background.
That's a good idea actually. Guess I should practice a bit with the demo until I get the hang of it and then I'll purchase it if I get a bit better at it.

Awww man, and all this because I just said "I like Chrom"?

Might now just make me cling into him more as the guy I want to play as in Smash Bros because if none cares, but I did, then what do I have to lose? This guy still represents what might become one of my most fave Nintendo-games of all time.

And I'll see what I think of the game's story and characters themselves later. Just wanted to give my first impressions.
If you like Chrom then so be it. I like Zoroark and apparently no one else here likes her but that doesn't stop me from liking the pokemon. Don't let others opinions affect yours my friend. ^_^

I haven't purchased Fire Emblem Awakening yet. I do once I can though. ^^

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Clones are pretty gross. Like ew, that's why I never play as them.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
FE13 probably had the weakest story of the entire series (or at least the weakest story outside of the Famicom FE games and Shadow Dragon). While I would certainly say it had the highest production values and best presentation, there are several FE games that surpass it in terms of gameplay even among the internationally released games in the series (FE7 and FE9 among the international games).

As to my opinion on clones, I am cool with them. I think the main reason why people even bag on clones is because we received so many of them in Melee and due to some of Melee's clone choices. I mean even an altergo type clone such as Toon Link can be received very well if there was actually an interest by the fanbase to see them.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm not too against clones. I kinda see them as "alternative way of playing a certain character" at times. But when it goes too far or in a way that it just shouldn't be in this character, then that's where I draw the line. A.K.A Toon Link should have been his own character because that's what he was in his own games.

Falco and Wolf work as clones. Ganondorf doesn't. But like they'd... give him another moveset. Would sword really be Ganondorf? He mostly used fists in his appearances (or a lance/spear)

Kiwi: I guess. *Clings to Chrom* (-::-);;

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
If you like Chrom then so be it. I like Zoroark and apparently no one else here likes her but that doesn't stop me from liking the pokemon. Don't let others opinions affect yours my friend. ^_^
Hey now, I actually love Zoroark haha. I like the whole entire concept of like a kitsune that fights dirty. I'm not expecting her, but I always thought she'd make a cool fighter.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I completely agree with SmashChu on FE13, the gameplay is awesome though, I've already got 60+ hrs in my main file and have maxed out several characters with their ideal skills too, and I don't even have all the kids or spotpass chapters yet. :laugh:

@Horsetail: If you like Chrom, good for you, and I hope that you end up enjoying FE13 as much as/if not more than I do (well the stuff beyond the story).

Gave up on hating clones after Street Fighter stuff, still would prefer to avoid if at all possible, especially how they were handled in Melee.

D

Deleted member

FE13 probably had the weakest story of the entire series (or at least the weakest story outside of the Famicom FE games and Shadow Dragon). While I would certainly say it had the highest production values and best presentation, there are several FE games that surpass it in terms of gameplay even among the internationally released games in the series (FE7 and FE9 among the international games).

As to my opinion on clones, I am cool with them. I think the main reason why people even bag on clones is because we received so many of them in Melee and due to some of Melee's clone choices. I mean even an altergo type clone such as Toon Link can be received very well if there was actually an interest by the fanbase to see them.
Well, I guess I'll be the broken record.

I dislike clones because they are a lazy way of adding more characters. It breeds nothing but wasted potential. Finest example is Toon Link in Brawl, who could have been something real cool, but Sakurai went and did something lame.

Good fighting games don't have clones.

(I'm allowed to diss on SF because I suck at it)

Guilty Gear is better anyway

Look at my sig, all 27 of those characters have completely original and different movesets and playstyles. Likewise with my previous sig with 25 characters. Between both games you hit 52, and ALL 52 are different and unique. Even if they borrow from each other across both games. You can have similar playstyles without outright copy/pasting the moves from a different character. That's just a lazy cop out in my not-so-humble opinion.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Fanondorg fought with his fists? Someone refresh my memory but i remember he used more magic blasts(OoT) and in twilight princess and windwaker swords.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Good fighting games don't have clones.
Last I checked, Melee is considered a good fighting game and it has more clones than any other game in the Smash Bros. series.

As long as the clones play differently (see Falco compared to Fox in Brawl for how even a semi-clone can be radically different) and they are characters people love, most people will have no problem with them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey now, I actually love Zoroark haha. I like the whole entire concept of like a kitsune that fights dirty. I'm not expecting her, but I always thought she'd make a cool fighter.
Oh that's great. Glad I'm not the only one. It's kinda stupid though that some people believe that people who want Zoroark don't actually like her but only "expect" her or something. Which is quite generalizing since when I caught her in Pokemon White she quickly became one of my favourites since her illusion ability is pretty fun to use imo. She'd be indeed a pretty cool fighter for smash. ^^

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fanondorg fought with his fists? Someone refresh my memory but i remember he used more magic blasts(OoT) and in twilight princess and windwaker swords.
He punches in OoT and in custscenes for both WW and TP.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Made some changes to my roster. thoughts?
You can also replace Chrom with which ever Lord you want.

D

Deleted member

Last I checked, Melee is considered a good fighting game and it has more clones than any other game in the Smash Bros. series.

As long as the clones play differently (see Falco compared to Fox in Brawl for how even a semi-clone can be radically different) and they are characters people love, most people will have no problem with them.
But you yourself mentioned how people considered clones to be Melee's biggest flaw.

I know people can grow to love them. But I'm sure people would love them more if there was a bit more creativity in the concept.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
@Horsetail: If you like Chrom, good for you, and I hope that you end up enjoying FE13 as much as/if not more than I do (well the stuff beyond the story).
Thanks. It's quite entertaining package at the moment. The Hard + Casual is pretty good combination for a difficulty as I've seen: I gotta really count the units I lose during a chapter because it still makes every movement and decision much harder and important.

And yeah. Chrom all the way, eh is a good guy, has Falchion and is not afraid of anything.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh that's great. Glad I'm not the only one. It's kinda stupid though that some people believe that people who want Zoroark don't actually like her but only "expect" her or something. Which is quite generalizing since when I caught her in Pokemon White she quickly became one of my favourites since her illusion ability is pretty fun to use imo. She'd be indeed a pretty cool fighter for smash. ^^
Yeah, illusion's a pretty fun ability. I'm still trying to figure out how that ability could work for Smash, though I've come up with a couple of ideas...but they all seem pretty meh. =P

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Only thing I find kinda questionable is Mii and Krystal, but that's it.

On clones, I think implementing an EX-mode system would solve a lot of the problems with clones. Characters hwo are currently clones could be given "non-clone" movesets, and keep their old movesets(or maybe Luigified versions of them) as EX-modes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
All there prediction are getting too similar. >_>

9/10, btw.

I'd replace Dixie with a Mario newcomer and Krystal with a Zelda newcomer

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Only thing I find kinda questionable is Mii and Krystal, but that's it.

On clones, I think implementing an EX-mode system would solve a lot of the problems with clones. Characters hwo are currently clones could be given "non-clone" movesets, and keep their old movesets(or maybe Luigified versions of them) as EX-modes.
EX-mode? Enlighten me for I am not familiar with the term or is it as just extra mode?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, illusion's a pretty fun ability. I'm still trying to figure out how that ability could work for Smash, though I've come up with a couple of ideas...but they all seem pretty meh. =P
Yeah I'm drawing blanks with how they could implement the illusion ability in smash as well without making it too obvious to the players where she is. Perhaps it could grant her a brief invisibility? Or maybe they would use it as her final smash in someway. But oh well, Illusion aside. I can imagine her with some pretty cool dark type moves for smash as well as some pretty nifty mind games she could pull off. If Zoroark does somehow manage to appear in smash, you certainly won't see me complaining. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd rather give the old moveset to a new character. :awesome:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
This looks a ton like my roster. The only differences I have are I have Paper Mario and don't have Dixie Kong or Lucario.
It looks pretty good.
Personally, I would replace Krystal for a Mario newcomer but other than that it's really good.
9/10
I think for the most part we all have the same core characters and 1 or 2 character swaps for each ideal roster. If I'd want to throw in a wild card I would replace Krystal with Medusa
Only thing I find kinda questionable is Mii and Krystal, but that's it
I think the Mii have a good chance, I think they will most likely be medium in which the 3DS version will be customizable, but who knows.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I remember back when people first found out that characters would be cut for Brawl, there was someone saying Marth and Roy would be cut because they're clones. Both of them.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I'm drawing blanks with how they could implement the illusion ability in smash as well without making it too obvious to the players where she is. Perhaps it could grant her a brief invisibility? Or maybe they would use it as her final smash in someway. But oh well, Illusion aside. I can imagine her with some pretty cool dark type moves for smash as well as some pretty nifty mind games she could pull off. If Zoroark does somehow manage to appear in smash, you certainly won't see me complaining. :)
This is what I came up with for my Kitsune character for the OC thread, which has a similar ability.

Inspired by Tamamo no Mae from Japanese folklore. Has a Mirror-like reflective move, and a Long range fireball that can be manipulated and placed anywhere on the stage, which will create an obstavle for opponents, you can cast 3 at a time, a very good defensive move. In addition she can use Will-O-Wisp as a low hitting slow moving fireball, she can cast multiple ones and they float along the ground a certain distance till they disappear, the will burn opponents slight, but they are easy to escape from, however, they will catch fire to their opponents for a limited time, thus racking up damage. Also, being a Kitsune, this character can transform into her foes. She starts the match transformed randomly as one of the other characters, and inherits all their moves. When hit by a strong move, the illusion breaks, but she can use the move during battle to transform into her opponent also inheriting their moves. Over all this is a Zoner/Turtle character with low defenses, but many defensive moves to keep away, she can rack up damage rather quickly and can get powerful long range and sneaky kills on her foes.
Is there the possibility that diddy and dixie will be paired up or has that ship sailed?
There is a possibility and I{m personally holding out for it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
EX-mode? Enlighten me for I am not familiar with the term or is it as just extra mode?
It's a feature in a lot of older fighting games that allows you to select an alternate moveset for a character. Basically, when you pick a character, you hold down start or something and you get a different moveset for a character. Some examples:
-KOF '98 has them on a bunch of characters that allow you to play versions of characters that use moves from their older/original games(i.e. '94 Kyo, Real Bout 2 Terry)
-Evil Ryu used to be an EX mode for Ryu back in the day. Lots of characters in SFA2 have "CE modes" where you can pick versions based on SF2CE.
-Guilty Gear has one for almost every character.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Is there the possibility that diddy and dixie will be paired up or has that ship sailed?
I highly doubt it seeing as diddy got his own unique moveset in brawl. I don't really see Sakurai going back on this decision for wanting another duo smasher either.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I highly doubt it seeing as diddy got his own unique moveset in brawl. I don't really see Sakurai going back on this decision for wanting another duo smasher either.
I think Dixie/Kiddy would be the next viable option for a Kong team. Though many people are against it because Kiddy isn't relevant.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I remember back when people first found out that characters would be cut for Brawl, there was someone saying Marth and Roy would be cut because they're clones. Both of them.
Yeah, I remember that there was an Issue of Gamepro where they speculated that Marth/Roy would be cut because Ike and Lyn would be "enough" to represent the franchise. Oh, and they also thought Jigglypuff and Ness might be cut.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
That's actually how I envision her as well. Because a lot of Dark type moves revolve around "dirty tricks", like Sucker Punch, Foul Play, Torment. etc, I think there could be some neat mind games with Zoroark. Yep, you won't see me complaining if she got in...And I do hope that if she does happen to get in she will live in harmony with Mewtwo, Lucario, and the rest of the Brawl Pokemon.

@Manly: Nice Kitsune moveset. I'd always love a Kitsune-like fighter in Smash...ah well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom