• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That's because the RPG genre has been down falling in recent years and Nintendo did not want to risk wasting their time and money with stuff that could easily bomb. It's probably why Pandora's Tower and The Last Story were published by XSeed in North America.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Saki expected? I don't really see that sentiment very much.

The people who want him tend to know what they're asking for, in my experience. Though there are those who are surprised to hear he can turn into a giant monster. But really he's just a cool and interesting guy, and people want to play as him. It doesn't get much more complicated.

He does not NEED to be in, and I kind of only half-expect him, but he's a good choice.
Doubt that anyone expects him, but he'll still always have a place on any roster that I make. Of course maybe I'm underestimating the power of popularity, such a shame either way you look at it.

Mewtwo Stuff.
Well that doesn't answer why they went with an actress or thought it was a good idea to begin with.

I have the feeling that we may get all three of the "Rainfall" heroes, and they are grouped together for that reason.
Remember that Sakurai's issue for Brawl was that there were no series between Pikmin's release and the finalization of the roster that had a suitable fighting candidate.
I'd say that Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower each have a suitable fighter, don't you agree?
They each probably have a suitable fighter, but the for the ones not named Shulk, does anyone really care? Not to put those games down or anything but Xenoblade more or less holds a monopoly on Operation Rainfall popularity. It's not like having a playable character is the only way to represent a game/series anymore.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
For those making realistic rosters and trying to predict the surprise character...would it be all that ridiculous to think that they've created an original playable character for the series?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
For those making realistic rosters and trying to predict the surprise character...would it be all that ridiculous to think that they've created an original playable character for the series?
The idea of an OC has been brought up before. I don't know about how others will feel, but I'm neutral on it, though I don't think it's going to happen. We've never had a playable character created specifically for Smash before but who knows...What would be funny if they use said OC as a green light to create a game starring the OC if he/she/it becomes popular. Yeah, highly unlikely, but still, pretty random nonetheless.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It's incredibly unlikely. It's a Nintendo crossover fighter, having a playable OC kinda defeats the point. If anything, I could see the Dragon King character being revived as a mythology gag of sorts, but even that isn't particularly likely.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Seems out of place to me. The closest thing to a playable character that originated in Smash we have are the wire/polygon fighters and Giga Bowser.

I'm not even fond of Giga Bowser and The Polygon Fighters are just gimped clones of selected characters

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dillon is one of my top wanted...

But I don't see it very likely

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Dunno...I kinda like Dillion, appearance and all, even though I haven't played Dildon's Rolling Western...I don't hate Dellon or anything (I'd be neutral on his inclusion in the end), but I'm curious as to how he falls under the "all-star" category. Is it because he's a new IP and a good eShop rep?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dunno...I kinda like Dillion, appearance and all, even though I haven't played Dildon's Rolling Western...I don't hate Dellon or anything (I'd be neutral on his inclusion in the end), but I'm curious as to how he falls under the "all-star" category. Is it because he's a new IP and a good eShop rep?
I could say that about a lot of popular choices as well

She Hulk for one

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Dunno...I kinda like Dillon, appearance and all, even though I haven't played Dillon's Rolling Western...I don't hate Dillon or anything (I'd be neutral on his inclusion in the end), but I'm curious as to how he falls under the "all-star" category. Is it because he's a new IP and a good eShop rep?
Fix'd. Just so you know, Dillon's name is spelled like that. ;)

But back to the reply itself. Dillon as well as Mallo and Tempo etc are new IP's so they haven't made their names as large as the likes of Mario and Zelda yet (or probably even DK and Starfox etc). But they should come along nicely over time, especially if Nintendo expands their series further beyond just the eShop.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure Rance wouldn't mind right? He just wants to **** women.

Edit: I didn't click on the Bara link til now. I see why Rance is crying now.
Believe it or not, Rance won't go for just any woman, he DOES have some rules:

1. No family
2. Must be over 16
3. Must be a girl
4. Must be attractive

A man's gotta have standards after all.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@Kikwi: Thanks for correcting my mistakes. Perhaps I should have more faith in Diloon. And yes, I too am hoping that Nintendo will expand on the eShop series, especially on the ones that we already mentioned.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
It does seem rather unlikely, but I just can't shake this feeling...

I mean, all three series are somewhat infamous to Nintendo due to the success of Operation Rainfall in having them localized.
I'd be okay with this, mainly for the fact that all of those characters would have unique and different gameplay styles. I do however not see them all as playable for the fact that Xenoblade was really the only game out of the bunch to get universal praise, with Pandora's tower getting meh reviews and Last Story getting mixed reviews. I do love all three games so I'd be okay with any representation from them. Perhaps we shall see Aeron and Zeal get in as assist trophies, with Shulk getting in as a playable character, and perhaps even having stage reps from both Pandora's Tower and Last Story.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I tried out the demo of Harmo knight but I found it too difficult (curse my lack of rythm). Is it worth buying the full game though? ^^; Because I still love Tempo and I would like to show my support for the game by purchasing it...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
How do you want to see Classic Link represented in Smash 4?
A. Alt for Link
B. Alt for Toon Link
C. Replacement for Link
D. Replacement for Toon Link
E. Both A and B
F. Don't want to see him
I don't care if he's added or not. I'm not particularly a fan of MUST HAVING TWO LINKS. But I wouldn't mind if he replaced Toon Link.

In terms of "new" stuff, the two that seems to stand out a tad is Shulk from Xenoblade and Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western. I'm not 100% sure about Aeron or Zael considering they're not familiar to me. I haven't played Pandora's Tower or The Last Story.
The Last Story really is a great game. It's pretty much on par with Xenoblade in terms of greatness, but in dfferent ways.

What do you think the likelihood of eShoppers getting in?

(In particular, Dillon or Tempo)
IMO, not too likely. But, it is possible I suppose.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So I got FE: Awakening now, and now I think aware of my feelings at the most recent lord now.

I support Chrom for SSB4. Not because he's shoe-in or from most recent game, he's just a great guy who I wish to see in that game. Like a true fella who I'd want to wait for, from a game I've truly enjoyed and wish to see represented to brim in SSB4. I dunno but I really like him now for some reason. You can call him bland all the way you want, but I think Chrom hitted this spot of mine which made him my favourite.

Here, some brain bleach incase that last sentence sounded questionable.

EDIT: I'd be all for any of the new EShop heroes. Mallo sounds least potent though, but yeah.

D

Deleted member

So I got FE: Awakening now, and now I think aware of my feelings at the most recent lord now.

I support Chrom for SSB4. Not because he's shoe-in or from most recent game, he's just a great guy who I wish to see in that game. Like a true fella who I'd want to wait for, from a game I've truly enjoyed and wish to see represented to brim in SSB4. I dunno but I really like him now for some reason. You can call him bland all the way you want, but I think Chrom hitted this spot of mine which made him my favourite.

Here, some brain bleach incase that last sentence sounded questionable.

EDIT: I'd be all for any of the new EShop heroes. Mallo sounds least potent though, but yeah.
Just out of sheer curiousity, what exactly makes Chrom a "great" guy? From what I hear, he's no Ike.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Just out of sheer curiousity, what exactly makes Chrom a "great" guy? From what I hear, he's no Ike.
Manly: I dunno, hum....

Chrom can be kinda compared to Ike in means of a personality, but I guess he lacks being gruff in means of power and all stuff. But I dunno, I guess him being somewhat balanced because he walks some of his own line too just hits the right mark.

Or I just like him. Think it as what you guys experienced when meeting Ike and liking him too. Except you actually get to interact with him.

I can't put it out in better words. (-=~=-)

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Chrom starts off good (eating bears is hilarious) but then he's put on the side line more and more as My Unit and Lucina gain larger focus and roles (and as you start to realize that FE13's story isn't all that great). Most of Chrom's spoken lines after the first few chapters become more of the generic RPG hero. Never really had any character development either, though he's by far from being the worst storywise lord IMO.

In hindsight I can't really pick out a definite personality for Ike. There's definitely character development, an interesting backstory, challenges to overcome, good dialogue. Marth is pretty easy though, he's all about "fighting for his friends" (no seriously, Brawl got Ike and Marth mixed up, Ike's the serious one not Marth). Most of his lines in FE11/12 are all about him talking about not wanting to lose his comrades.

Can't remember any other FE lord personalities besides Alm and Celica, the former who "wishes to crush his enemies" and the latter who "wishes to talk things out." I think Hector had a sort of "Bro" personality though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@eShop characters in general: Dillon or Tempo, especially, would be a welcome addition in my eyes. I just sadly find them not very likely for anything more than an Assist Trophy.

@Kiwi : The game itself is definitely worth the 15 bucks. I just finished the last level last week, and it was pretty intense. Although, maybe practice the demo a bit more before the purchase if you thought it was difficult. I personally didn't find the game too difficult, but that may be because I have somewhat of a musical background.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I still think Robin would be a more suitable FE rep just for his/her versatility in magic and swordsmanship.
Chrom is okay too I just hope if he is the one that get's in, that one of his specials is a javelin throw that he can throw at limited angle range.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Chrom starts off good (eating bears is hilarious) but then he's put on the side line more and more as My Unit and Lucina gain larger focus and roles (and as you start to realize that FE13's story isn't all that great). Most of Chrom's spoken lines after the first few chapters become more of the generic RPG hero. Never really had any character development either, though he's by far from being the worst storywise lord IMO.

In hindsight I can't really pick out a definite personality for Ike. There's definitely character development, an interesting backstory, challenges to overcome, good dialogue. Marth is pretty easy though, he's all about "fighting for his friends" (no seriously, Brawl got Ike and Marth mixed up, Ike's the serious one not Marth). Most of his lines in FE11/12 are all about him talking about not wanting to lose his comrades.

Can't remember any other FE lord personalities besides Alm and Celica, the former who "wishes to crush his enemies" and the latter who "wishes to talk things out." I think Hector had a sort of "Bro" personality though.
I really didn't find Lucina all that important. Her role is little more than a gimmick

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
What do you think the likelihood of eShoppers getting in?

(In particular, Dillon or Tempo)
Dillon most likely. Mallo would make more sense on the fact his game did well, but Dillon has more going for him.

Spoilers for this one Kiddies
Awakening, in general, was a mess. It starts strong, drags ion the middle, and the end tries to wrap it up as fast as possible. Most Fire Emblem games are focused on a central story, but Awakening splits. You go fight Valm midway though which doesn't link very well to what you did in the first 11 chapters. It's not until the last chapter they try and peice it together, but they do a poor job of it. The issue is they tried to go on another story and did it poorly. If they had to have that, then they should have just tried to have it be interwoven with the rest of the story. Awakening has a lot of problems which sucks because it starts so strong. Not a bad game, just meh.

The problem with Chrom is he is just like every other lord. He looks like Ike and even has similar stats to him. He has blue hair like the rest of them. And he has the same personality as many of them. Roy is nice because he feels different than the rest of the lord you could add. He seems like he has more personality (at least in Smash). Chrom is just another lord.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm not a fan of clones to be honest. An ideal roster for me would be to have a roster of characters who all have their own unique movesets.

I'm fine with Falco and Ganon

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How much do you guys care about clones?
I don't care. Just as long as Smash doesn't add any more(not counting reviving Melee/Brawl vets). Most of the clones in Smash are actually fairly unique to their "originals", and there's less of them than in some other fighters.

(and I don't consider Ike, Lucas, or Wolf to be clones)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
How much do you guys care about clones?
I'm OK with them.

The clones we have are that way because either it makes more sense or it was done in the previous games. People have this vendeta that EVERY character must be very unique, but I don't see a problem with similar B moves when the characters play very different. Also, most of the unique movesets kind of stink.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm going to try and make a very detailed roster today/night. Want to see if it would please you guys overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom