• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Michaeloll said:
This poll WAS on GameFAQs a few months ago, limelight -_-
Shortie, do you have an explanation on this. If this guy is being serious, I'm going to be slightly bothered if I just wasted my time posting a repeated thread in a place that already did the poll.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't see us getting more than like, 50 votes. tops.

D

Deleted member

Shortie, do you have an explanation on this. If this guy is being serious, I'm going to be slightly bothered if I just wasted my time posting a repeated thread in a place that already did the poll.
I can confirm that Shortie did bring the poll back to GameFAQs back awhile ago. Of course since that last major visit things have changed a lot in regards to the poll.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I have a feeling that Pac-Man and Chrom might receive a considerable increase based off the general expectations of these characters getting in (both are considered among the most likely newcomers there), although not primarily because they want them...
Well I did say in the thread that the characters you pick are the ones you WANT, not EXPECT. Though considering how everyone there has terminal 7 brain cancer or something, it wouldn't be surprising if they've failed to read that.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeh I sent it there.... I wanna say... November/October-ish? Maybe?

Couldn't find the gif I wanted to use >:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm fairly certain a lot of people actually choose people they expect rather than ones they want

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm fairly certain a lot of people actually choose people they expect rather than ones they want
If they did, they can't read. Says it twice on the poll. "Who you'd like to see" "Remember it's who you WANT"

So, if they dumb *******, they dumb *******.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
WEIRD AS IT IS, Zamus isn't all that sexualized. Her outfit happens to be very practical and expected for what it's used for. I guess being FULL-BODY may have something to do with it being viewed as sexualized. Creates an illusion that it is actually her body rather than an outfit. I guess. Mostly what's sexualized about it would be that her breasts aren't very supported. You'd expect something more like a training bra. She also has those weird heels and that's just really silly. I think those were only in Other M though.

Still, Brawl did have that cutscene where it zoomed in on her booty.
I want to say Zamus in Brawl still had the heels, but probably not much more than your typical shoes. They were raised a bit in Other M definitely though.

You are absolutely right that a form fitting, full body outfit like that is definitely going to provide that illusion of her body. You're even more right that save for the Combat Stilletos, her outfit is very practical. The whole support thing might actually be part of the suit for all we know. The suit is definitely sci-fi in its function so who's to say it can't double as a bra?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If they did, they can't read. Says it twice on the poll. "Who you'd like to see" "Remember it's who you WANT"

So, if they dumb *****es, they dumb *****es.
Well, what matters is people voting anyway. Though to be fair, sometimes what is expected and what is wanted are often blended together during this tug of war over ideals.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I want to say Zamus in Brawl still had the heels, but probably not much more than your typical shoes. They were raised a bit in Other M definitely though.

You are absolutely right that a form fitting, full body outfit like that is definitely going to provide that illusion of her body. You're even more right that save for the Combat Stilletos, her outfit is very practical. The whole support thing might actually be part of the suit for all we know. The suit is definitely sci-fi in its function so who's to say it can't double as a bra?
Nah, her shoes in Brawl were very typical. Shaped like you'd expect combat boots to be. Obviously just not as bulky. As for her breasts, I dunno, they just seem too big. As in, you'd expect them to be more uh... compressed? Considering her line of work. Incidentally, you brought up how there's a trend of designing women with smaller breasts, but that's a result of the whole loli thing I'm guessing, making it fetishistic, meaning designers are still drawing with their *****, esesentially. WHICH IS THE PROBLEM. (Though that's not to say women can't have whatever sized breasts, but when the designers/developers draw attention to them at any time when it's inappropriate, it's pretty dumb.)

WHATEVER, I just thought it was funny that you have this outfit that can so easily be sexualized, but when you think about it's actually the best thing she could wear under her circumstances, lol.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, what matters is people voting anyway. Though to be fair, sometimes what is expected and what is wanted are often blended together during this tug of war over ideals.
True that. Especially because I always end up putting Ridley on my "wanted newcomers list" even though I'm not all that interested in him. Well, I guess I do like the idea of him being like, the Firebrand of Smash. Same goes with Roy, but I am even less interested in him. I just would rather have him than Chrom and I can't bear to put Caeda, Micaiah, or Eirika on there. Dunno why.

Speaking of wanted Top 15 in no particular order:

D

Deleted member

So....many.....pages.....on.....Krystal.....and......sexualization.......

D

Deleted member

Well, since I did propose changing it to a wishlist topic:

These are the characters that I'd like to see appear in the next Smash Bros. game. Mega Man and King K. Rool are two of my biggest hopes for the next game (I would also absolutely love to see Mewtwo in the game, but at this rate, I see no reason for him to get left out).

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
kind of happy to see that in both of those lists is a spot for geno. As to who gets in I actually don't care too much because smash is going to be fun as hell anyways

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I have been a fan of Metroid far longer than everyone else here has been (since Super Metroid back in 1994).
Guess that makes two of us.

And surprisingly, that Sakamoto and George Lucas comparison I can kinda agree with. Will have to remember that next time I see him brought up. :laugh:

Gee, I wonder how M&SG will react to the last few pages.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He's kind of a prude too I think, so probably not well.
We really werent that off topic were we?

Nah, let's say nah.

I miss the days when I was the big Deoxys fan. My how the tables have changed.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think everyone here will find this interesting, this article was written back in December 2011:
http://www.1up.com/news/miyamoto-intrigued-a-link-to-the-past-3d

"Well actually, even Mr. Miyamoto himself has been talking recently about going back to the 2D Zelda games," he said, "in particular the ones that were designed with multiple levels to the world like A Link to the Past, and taking those 2D graphics and recreating them in 3D so that you could get a sense for the depth of those worlds.

"That's something that might be interesting to do, so I would say there might be a possibility of something like that in the future."

What Miyamoto wants, Miyamoto gets.

I like how Miyamoto kind of drops hints about where things will go. That thing earlier this year where he mentioned a new Mario brother, perhaps there is more to it than we think.

Just two more months until E3.

If there is a new major character for Mario, I expect him to become yet another popularly requested character for a Mario newcomer spot (like there was not enough competition already).

bobadz

Smash Ace
Sakamoto is like George Lucas. Had some great ideas when he was younger, but somewhere along the way lost his marbles.
weren't the original Metroid games (as well as the prime games) and Star Wars movies team efforts.

Also, http://www.pokemon-movie.jp/comment/index.php

This interview might have the answers. We just need to translate it.

My Japanese is bad, but it seems as though they changed the voice to fit Mewtwo's role in the movie. They tout that it focuses on the friendship of Ash/Mewtwo/Genesect to show the relationship of humans and Pokemon, which makes sense because in what I've read of the manga Ash was trying to befriend one of the Genesect, I think it's saying something like the change was to reflect that understanding(or misunderstanding) with Mewtwo.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Can someone actually explain why Geno is so popular? I know he is a good character from a good game, but I like him as much as any of the partners in the Paper Mario games. So what is the reason for his absurdly high popularity?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Can someone actually explain why Geno is so popular? I know he is a good character from a good game, but I like him as much as any of the partners in the Paper Mario games. So what is the reason for his absurdly high popularity?
Its gotta be the lasers, everyone loves them in any form

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess it's mostly memetic. He was just a cool guy in a good game like you said. He was given some artificial popularity boost pre-Brawl, and so the idea of him as a Smash newcomer just stuck around. One way or another Geno just became one of the go-to answers when people asked "Who should be in the next Smash?"

Kind of like Waluigi I guess.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really liked the idea of Geno as a character the first time I heard about Brawl coming out.

Super Mario RPG was one of my most favorite games, and kept that spot for a long time.

Besides, he's a lot more important to the story than any of the partners in any of the paper Mario games, and even get's his own touching farewell scene where he swears to return one day

--

BTW, I tried changing my icon to match my "Character" like so many of you, but I couldn't figure out why it won't let me use a transparent background. Strange.

Edit: I figured it out. They are GIF's aren't they?

For some reason my avatar itself isn't changing though

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Chrom is falling behind as is. MWAHAHAHA.

I also never realized how much of a waste of space Saki having a slot was going to be. I expected it from Mona and Black Shadow, but not him.
It's kind of the thing I've realized about Saki. I've started lately to hope he *doesnt* get in, just because he honestly doesn't have that much *fan* support, and just seems like a character people just expect, and I don't see why.

Why does S&P warrant a character, anyway? Sure he was an AT, and it was a decent game, but I just find myself having a hard time caring about Saki. Typically I hear stuff like this, too:

Mega Man: YESSSSSSSS?
K. Rool: **** yeah!
Isaac: **** yeah!
Takamaru: I don't know him, but it sounds awesome! Samurais!
Saki: I mean, sure I guess, the more the merrier.
Etc.

Is Saki honestly a character anyone HAS to see in Sm4sh?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Now hold on, I like Saki, don't get me wrong. I guess I should have just said wow, he's not as popular as I once believed

Also Geno is lagging behind Pac-Man now. Sad day.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My transparency works... well enough. It's a PNG.

It might be because you cropped it?
Yeah, the problem was either because I tried using GIF/ JPEG instead of PNG or the size. Regardless, I changed both and it's working fine now

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is Saki honestly a character anyone HAS to see in Sm4sh?
Saki expected? I don't really see that sentiment very much.

The people who want him tend to know what they're asking for, in my experience. Though there are those who are surprised to hear he can turn into a giant monster. But really he's just a cool and interesting guy, and people want to play as him. It doesn't get much more complicated.

He does not NEED to be in, and I kind of only half-expect him, but he's a good choice.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Saki is ahead of Mona, Black Shadow, and Bandana dee and 1 vote ahead of Samurai Goroh. Was he expected to be more popular?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Saki is ahead of Mona, Black Shadow, and Bandana dee and 1 vote ahead of Samurai Goroh. Was he expected to be more popular?
Well.... yeah. But so was Goroh. And he's pretty dead.

I guess that's what happens when you spend most your time in this ONE Smash4 bubble. Your views are warped based on who you're surrounded by.

Star and Oasis have always been the big Saki supporters though. And I guess I talk/ed to them a lot in the past. Just one of those characters that has been INGRAINED into my Smash psyche.

Plus, behind Shulk, Isaac, and Little Mac, I say Saki is the 4th Small Franchise contender. And Dillon behind him.

I also doubt Isaac's inclusion very much. More than, say, Saki's, Shulk's, and Mac's.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess he was kind of placed on the same pedestal as Isaac for a while, but yeah it probably shouldn't be too surprising that he's not all that popular in reality. WHICH IS TOO BAD.

D

Deleted member

Goddamn, this thread moves too quickly.

Now I seen why people like Corph and such get so confused about the current topic at hand...

She is certainly a part of the problem. She definitely brought a lot of horndog furries to the Star Fox fanbase, and her awful characterization was part of the reason why Command was so awful. It would be apt to consider her the Shadow of the Star Fox series.

I think Habanero is right that it will be difficult to work off the "stink" that the character has especially considering how long it has been since the last game. The legacy for the post-64 games has not been kind overall.
Personally, I've never cared too much for Krystal. I never hated her, but I also never liked her. My fave SF character is actually Wolf.

However, I wouldn't label her as "what's wrong with SF." In the two hours I was able to keep my attention on Command, Krystal was the least of my gripes. Command was bad because of the dumb strategic flying BS, and the ridiculously stupid art style. Krystal didn't really bother me so much. In fact, my only problem with Krystal was her AWFUL choice of color scheme. Just further proof that most Japanese "Artists" never bother to learn art at all.

I mean, body suits aren't rocket science, just because you're a girl and a pilot doesn't mean you gotta wear pink, this ain't the goddamn power rangers, a simple purple or blue would have sufficed:

On Adventures, I haven't played it yet, but I like the concept of StarFox being StraTrek-ey, though I've never watched ST outside of that new movie that came out recently...
As for attracting furries. I don't think it was Krystal that was the magnet specifically. Especially considering most of the SF furry-**** is homo Fox X Falco or w/e... Regardless, not wanting the character for that reason alone is a bit un fair. All series and characters will have a ****ty side to the fanbase. The reason we haven't seen much for Palutena yet is because she's still relatively new, but even still there's plenty of stuff for her floating around, mostly /ss/ and the like, but still. Rule 34 after all. Expect it to grow as she becomes more notorious. Does that mean we should kick her out of Smash once that happens? Well, no. I mean, Zamus is still in Smash isn't she?

All that being said:

Basically, Palutena would be more MAGIC staff oriented. Krystal would be more melee oriented with her staff like Kilik.
I could definitely go for this. I'm liking the idea of Krystal in Smash, especially over the likes of Falco. Still, I find her chances are also very slim.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think my little brother is the only person I know, who consistently adds Fox, Falco, Wolf, Krystal, and Slippy to his character rosters. Then again, he does like SF a lot.

Silly boy.

D

Deleted member

Oh, a videogame character subject to rule 34 like everything else out there. Big freaking whoop.
Can we take a moment to acknowledge how much of Palutena's character is built around fanservice though?

Just for a second?

I did the same thing psycho did, but for her, and found a bunch of ecchi pics and the like.

I mean, in her video specials she had a bath scene...

I still like Palutena mind you, but it's not like she's asexual. Quite the opposite really. She's gonna be prone to more rule 34 than any of the other Nintendo girls imo. We're already beginning to see it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As for attracting furries. I don't think it was Krystal that was the magnet specifically. \.
Lots of older Star Fox specifically complained about her bringing them to the fanbase.

Secondly, its kind of mathematically impossible for most furries to be homosexuals considering homosexuals are only 3-5% of the population, and the ratio among men (who make up probably 80% of online gaming communities) for homosexuality/bisexuality is lower than it is for women, so that makes that even more mathematically unsound. No, I do not want you to go dig for "pages of rule 34" like psychoincarnate did (I just saved you some money on brain bleach).

That there is several people in this thread saying the same thing means that there does exist a group that does not like her in the SF series and feels she overall as she is right now has a negative presence.

Of the post-64 games, Adventures was probably the most solid as a game overall (although it was the least true to the series as whole), however, overall, the legacy for those games has been mixed at best.

That is all I have to say on this topic, and it has gone on long enough.

I am surprised people did not comment on that link I provided.

I am also surprised no one mentioned that Toad was shown as a playable character for Mario Party 3DS while Waluigi and Bowser Jr. were not.

In general, Mario is a difficult series to work with. Any one of Toad, Paper Mario, or Bowser Jr. could be picked depending on what Sakurai's priorities are, and even the likes of Waluigi, Dr. Mario, and Geno have attributes to them that would make inclusion for them plausible.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Waluigi got the spotlight in the Mario Golf game though, which makes up for him not appearing in the Party game.

Bowser Jr. is the only one who didn't appear at all.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I am surprised people did not comment on that link I provided.

I am also surprised no one mentioned that Toad was shown as a playable character for Mario Party 3DS while Waluigi and Bowser Jr. were not.

In general, Mario is a difficult series to work with. Any one of Toad, Paper Mario, or Bowser Jr. could be picked depending on what Sakurai's priorities are, and even the likes of Waluigi, Dr. Mario, and Geno have attributes to them that would make inclusion for them plausible.
Indeed.

I hope we do get a new on rails Star Fox shooter.

Also, even though Sakamoto wasn't the director of other m he sure as hell acted like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom