• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No, because this is a good way to address the freaking double standard around here.
Its not double standards if you think furry fanservice is gross or that Krystal is a bad character, or that she should not be in Smash 4.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Its more the fact that almost any female character in a game is bound to be busty that bugs me. Like c'mon they don't need big bewbs all the time.
Now that's true, but you should realize that it's just a marketing strategy.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Male sex appeal is almost always overlooked lol

The general consensus is that only horny straight males play games

@Chrono- I don't think that being grossed out by furry fanservice is abnormal, I'm just saying that I've never looked at her in that kind of way

The fanservice, if that's what you want to call it, isn't THAT out there, or obvious enough for me to take notice

I didn't even know about the whole sex appeal thing or whatever that Krystal has until I came here

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
It's not like Samus is a little girl or anything so you don't have to worry about innocence. She already lost that at the age of three anyway. It's not that big of a deal really. Why not go ahead and do something about characters like Capt. Falcon with their bulging biceps, broad shoulders, and GOLDEN NIPPLES while we're at it, or does that not count as innocence?

That's strictly a cultural thing, but one might see it as a practical thing, but I'll leave it to the ladies of this thread to clarify that one.
I'm not talking about Samus's innocence. Shes just a character in a game. I'm talking kids, but in this day in age its just unavoidable. Sexual stuff is everywhere so I just got to roll with the punches.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They got a point. Fox's don't have enlarge breasts unless they are using them for their young.

And their breasts are in a different area

Most animal species don't have enlarged breasts unless they are using them for young for that matter, except humans for some reason

Scientists theorize that is because in the evolution process from quadrupeds to bipeds mates needed something to look at. Most quadrupeds find mates by looking at the rear and breasts of humans became permanently enlarged to simulate that

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not talking about Samus's innocence. Shes just a character in a game. I'm talking kids, but in this day in age its just unavoidable. Sexual stuff is everywhere so I just got to roll with the punches.
So.... If a kid sees a busty woman, their innocence is gone forever?

It's not like her boobs are a defining characteristic. Samus is a badass bounty hunter who just happens to be female. Not some seductress hoping to seduce men.

@Habanero

Eh. You'll do that regardless. :troll:

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Now that's true, but you should realize that it's just a marketing strategy.
Oh i totally get it. How effective is it really in games though? like clothes and crap i can see, but are you really going to buy a game cause there is a female with a huge rack in a skimpy outfit...

Sadly i feel i already know the responses for this :ohwell:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The fanservice, if that's what you want to call it, isn't THAT out there, or obvious enough for me to take notice

I didn't even know about the whole sex appeal thing or whatever that Krystal has until I came here
It was pretty damn obvious looking at any official art for her in Assault or Adventures. As I said there was a lot of complaints about it, back from 2002-2005, and a lot of old guard Star Fox fans were really put off by it.

I am not too keen on Zero Suit Samus either. I thought it was the beginning of Sakamoto ruinning Samus.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Please, that kind of stuff I've been exposed to since I was a little kid. It's not like we're talking Soul Calibur IV Ivy. Heck, giving women bigger hips in cartoons was a way to get around the censors and add fanservice - see Dexter's mom. There's nothing wrong with seeing the full figure (not a naked body) or a woman in the slightest and neither is it for a man, especially considering superheroes have been doing that for years.

Oh i totally get it. How effective is it really in games though? like clothes and crap i can see, but are you really going to buy a game cause there is a female with a huge rack in a skimpy outfit...

Sadly i feel i already know the responses for this :ohwell:
It depends. At the very least, it will catch a person's eye, but that doesn't mean it's the reason why they buy the game. You think I bought BlazBlue for Litchi Faye-Ling's meat buns?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I thought Zero Suit Samus in Super Smash Bros. was just a cheap way to add in fanservice in a game that didn't need it. To add insult to injury, it caused a similar problem with Zelda/Sheik by there being a lack of balance between Samus and Zamus.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
II am not too keen on Zero Suit Samus either. I thought it was the beginning of Sakamoto ruinning Samus.
So you thought Samus was ruined from her creation? The Zero Suit covers up more than her"normal" clothes.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Where is Mario & Sonic Guy?

So you thought Samus was ruined from her creation? The Zero Suit covers up more and her "normal" clothes are much worse.
Sakamoto is like George Lucas. Had some great ideas when he was younger, but somewhere along the way lost his marbles.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm having poll results withdrawls. I'm hoping come tomorrow or Saturday my poll will reach 1600.

Need. Numbers. Results. Must.

Also, I think I can make it to 2000 before E3 *crosses fingers*

Just don't know where to take the poll.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So you thought Samus was ruined from her creation? The Zero Suit covers up more than her"normal" clothes.
He's talking about how Samus should've just been quiet in the armor and only showing her face at the credits.

Personally, despite some execution flaws, I like the more humanized Samus, but that's another topic.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm having poll results withdrawls. I'm hoping come tomorrow or Saturday my poll will reach 1600.

Need. Numbers. Results. Must.

Also, I think I can make it to 2000 before E3 *crosses fingers*

Just don't know where to take the poll.
GameFAQs?

I know that sound crazy but its the only big place left.
Sakamoto is like George Lucas. Had some great ideas when he was younger, but somewhere along the way lost his marbles.
Adding more clothes and covering up the heroine is a bad idea? That doesn't sound like you.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Anyone wanna.... take it there for me? >:

I just done frequent it, so if anyone else DOOOOOOOES

*glittery eyes*

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
GameFAQs?
Adding more clothes and covering up the heroine is a bad idea? That doesn't sound like you.
Suitless Samus in Super Metroid and the other Metroid games was not bad. It was a little reward to let the player know what Samus looked like if they cleared the game fast enough.

Suitless Samus in Super Metroid in particular was actually a bit muscular.

I have been a fan of Metroid far longer than everyone else here has been (since Super Metroid back in 1994).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Expect stuff like Ridley, Roy, and Waluigi to fall behind in particular.
Chrom is falling behind as is. MWAHAHAHA.

I also never realized how much of a waste of space Saki having a slot was going to be. I expected it from Mona and Black Shadow, but not him.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No, I didn't even know about her until I played the game. I just wanted to try a different fighting game and it looked fun. Heck, the first character I played was the flat chested one.

I have been a fan of Metroid far longer than everyone else here has been (since Super Metroid back in 1994).
And this matters why?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well look Chrono I can agree that furry fanservice/sexualization is weird but you're letting that cloud your judgment of Krystal herself

None of that is going to affect how she is portrayed and implemented in Smash, and that's all I have to say on that subject

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Suitless Samus in Super Metroid and the other Metroid games was not bad. It was a little reward to let the player know what Samus looked like if they cleared the game fast enough.

Suitless Samus in Super Metroid in particular was actually a bit muscular.

Check the very end. That's much more revealing then the Zero Suit ever was. She's not even wearing pants for crying out loud! You're telling me that the Zero Suit is more provocative that this?

What does being muscular have to do with anything?

No offense but.... Does that really matter?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well look Chrono I can agree that furry fanservice/sexualization is weird but you're letting that cloud your judgment of Krystal herself

None of that is going to affect how she is portrayed and implemented in Smash, and that's all I have to say on that subject
I don't like her because I don't like her character in Star Fox, I don't the Star Fox games after 64, and I think Star Fox has more than enough characters as it is. I think those are all legitimate reasons.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't like her because I don't like her character in Star Fox, I don't the Star Fox games after 64, and I think Star Fox has more than enough characters as it is. I think those are all legitimate reasons.
Then don't get on her case for "furry fanservice."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/65995800

Your wish is granted. Now I'll just sit back and watch the sparks fly.
Good job.

Now to favorite this page and come back tomorrow. :troll:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Time to tally up these votes for one last time before GameFAQs changes the land scape a lot.
Really though, 4chan makes this poll jump. 300 votes or more came from about 4 hours of being on that site. I don't even know where the last 800 votes are coming from. Muust be from lurkers here, and randoms who find my poll littered on the 17 other sites I left it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Time to tally up these votes for one last time before GameFAQs changes the land scape a lot.
It's not going to be as drastic as you think, but you will see some influence.

Can't really say which characters will gain a boost in particular, but I can easily see most of the chart being ignored due to stupidity.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
WEIRD AS IT IS, Zamus isn't all that sexualized. Her outfit happens to be very practical and expected for what it's used for. I guess being FULL-BODY may have something to do with it being viewed as sexualized. Creates an illusion that it is actually her body rather than an outfit. I guess. Mostly what's sexualized about it would be that her breasts aren't very supported. You'd expect something more like a training bra. She also has those weird heels and that's just really silly. I think those were only in Other M though.

Still, Brawl did have that cutscene where it zoomed in on her booty.

D

Deleted member

It's not going to be as drastic as you think, but you will see some influence.

Can't really say which characters will gain a boost in particular, but I can easily see most of the chart being ignored due to stupidity.
I have a feeling that Pac-Man and Chrom might receive a considerable increase based off the general expectations of these characters getting in (both are considered among the most likely newcomers there), although not primarily because they want them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom