• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

After watching this I'm kinda glad they tried to go with a softer voice, but still they went about it completely wrong unfortunately. :ohwell:
To be fair, he seems a lot gruffer in Melee compared to his voicing in the movies.
Though that may be to reflect the personality of the game Mewtwo.

Supposedly this change in voice is to better suit Mewtwo's role in the film, though they could have gone with at least a voice that is less feminine (no offense to the actress herself). I mean, hearing Mewtwo's new voice makes me think of Goku's Japanese actress and how off it sounds (especially when compared to dub voices).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Heh, I was looking at some of my old files about stuff I wrote about Smash 4 back in 2009, and one of the things I wrote was that the newcomer pool for Smash Bros. was running dry and that there were only a few characters left from veteran series left add (back then I pretty only mentioned a Mario newcomer, K. Rool, and Ridley as characters that needed to be added to Smash 4 from veteran franchises). Though I also mentioned that Mewtwo and Roy needed to be brought back though I was unsure whether to classify them as newcomers or not. Now the only "must add" character for a veteran franchise that has emerged since then has pretty much been Palutena.

What I argued for the rest of the roster back in 2009 was that they needed to bring in new series newcomers. I did not have Takamaru or Shulk as part of that list back then (people really started to give Takamaru a serious look when he was confirmed for Samurai Warriors 3 and especially with Nintendo Land, and Shulk did not exist back then), although I did have Little Mac, Mega Man, and Isaac. I also had Lip, Starfy, and Ray (Custom Robo) on my list for potential "new series" newcomers.

Lip, Starfy, and especially Ray have fallen by the wayside since then (although Lip never really took off as a popular request). Takamaru and Shulk take the place for the two of them though.

However, its interesting how back in 2009, even then I had the sense that there were not many characters left to add from Nintendo's veteran franchises.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Most of the "all-stars" have already been added. Only Megaman, Mii, Little Mac, K.Rool, Ridley and perhaps a Pokemon or Mario character will be recognized by casual fans.

The rest are much more obscure. This is the point when Nintendo will start to look at smaller series for the character pool.

Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is hard to say, but regardless, I feel that when some smaller series are added, Smash Bros will stop becoming a "Nintendo All-Star" battle and more of a celebration of Nintendo's history. I think I will enjoy that more.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Switch Melee to Japanese, Falco will say something in Japanese when he taunts. He will also say various things in Japanese for his victory taunts (the same goes for Fox).
Doesn't change the fact that Falco's Engrish is bad. Seriously, what was with that inconsistency?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have been thinking whether there will be a Zero Suit Samus or Pokemon Trainer added this time, that is a newcomer for a veteran franchise that catches nearly everyone by surprise. Both of those additions were by no means random and made a lot of sense in the context of representing their series.

The only two I could see fitting this mold would be Anna or Jimmy T./Mona. Some might say Bandanna Dee would fit this model, however, its pretty obvious that he would be next in line for a Kirby newcomer spot.

A second newcomer for Kid Icarus might also fit this (I would bet either Viridi/Medusa as a Palutena clone, or Hades taking Ganondorf's Melee/Brawl moveset), though I think the prospect of a second Kid Icarus newcomer to be pretty doubtful.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have been thinking whether there will be a Zero Suit Samus or Pokemon Trainer added this time, that is a newcomer for a veteran franchise that catches nearly everyone by surprise. Both of those additions were by no means random and made a lot of sense in the context of representing their series.

The only two I could see fitting this mold would be Anna or Jimmy T./Mona. Some might say Bandanna Dee would fit this model, however, its pretty obvious that he would be next in line for a Kirby newcomer spot.

A second newcomer for Kid Icarus might also fit this (I would bet either Viridi/Medusa as a Palutena clone, or Hades taking Ganondorf's Melee/Brawl moveset), though I think the prospect of a second Kid Icarus newcomer to be pretty doubtful.
Impa could fulfill that role with relative ease.

Kamek is another possibility I see. Especially if he is the villain for the two new Yoshi games coming out.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Impa could fulfill that role with relative ease.

Kamek is another possibility I see. Especially if he is the villain for the two new Yoshi games coming out.
Those two are certainly possibilities (especially Impa). Though it would certainly be weird for Yoshi to get a newcomer and for F-Zero to stay with just Falcon.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Those two are certainly possibilities (especially Impa). Though it would certainly be weird for Yoshi to get a newcomer and for F-Zero to stay with just Falcon.
Well to be perfectly fair, F-Zero is currently dead (pains me to say that). Yoshi's series lives on.

Maybe an F-Zero character could be the WTF character. Who actually expects an F-Zero newcomer? Goroh could fit that role.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If we're going by the general public, I can say that there would be a lot more choices that would throw off people in a general sense. It would not be surprising at all if very few people would know about Takamaru for example.

But for more hardcore fans, that's harder to pinpoint. Can't really say for sure what would be in particular notable, but maybe an original character like the Dragon King.

D

Deleted member

Who actually expects an F-Zero newcomer?
Japan has a certain "Batman on steroids" as one of their requests....
So I'd say they do.

EDIT: OH SHI-
You know what I just realized? Since ALttP Link is coming back....
Then that old Oracle design for Ganondorf that never came to be? It can be revived with this game...

D

Deleted member

I'm curious about what our surprise character(s) are going to be as well. The thing I like about Sakurai is that his for curve ball characters have always been made very entertaining additions that I go back to from time to time (except for maybe some of Melee's clones; didn't like Dr. Mario and Young Link much). We already got a few surprises in Brawl, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some curve ball characters in Smash 4 as well.

Mach Rider and Professor Layton seems to be the dark horse characters I can see (since most people don't see them at all, yet I see them as real possibilities). I could also see maybe Ryu Hayabusa working as a Snake-like newcomer.
Swampasaur said:
Maybe an F-Zero character could be the WTF character. Who actually expects an F-Zero newcomer? Goroh could fit that role.
Some people do think that there's a decent chance of us getting a F-zero newcomer, myself included. I don't think that would work.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Japan has a certain "Batman on steroids" as one of their requests....
So I'd say they do.

EDIT: OH SHI-
You know what I just realized? Since ALttP Link is coming back....
Then that old Oracle design for Ganondorf that never came to be? It can be revived with this game...
I love that design. It should be used.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I guess you could say that Dillon and Lip are the dark horse characters for me. It's more from an familiarity type deal then hipster pandering, before anyone asks. Though admittedly that seems to be my deal, to go for whatever looks appealing.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wouldn't be much fun if there wasn't an out-of-nowhere character, of course, there's a reason it's called an out-of-nowhere character. Better to wait and see instead of using this as an excuse to start asking for characters like Geno or Mr. Peepers.

It's a character you can't speculate so why waste time speculating the un-speculatable (probably not a real word but oh well)?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If we're going by the general public, I can say that there would be a lot more choices that would throw off people in a general sense. It would not be surprising at all if very few people would know about Takamaru for example.
Takamaru despite being seen as a near shoe-in by Smash Bros. speculators is not that much highly requested relative to a lot of other characters, I think in Shortie's poll, he is only ahead of six characters out of 25.

Shulk would also throw many people off too I think considering how niche a release Xenoblade was.

I think Gen 6's big Pokemon turning out to be Mewtwo was probably gave Sakurai a big sigh of relief (he will probably think of a way to incorporate dessert-pastry form Mewtwo though), since he could realistically give Pokemon five slots instead of six, and cover all bases. Lucario, has shown himself to be a Pokemon to stay (I think this has become especially evident with the new Mewtwo form unveil at Pokemon Smash, and a Lucario figurine being packed in with Pokemon Rumble Wii U). The problem of a cycling "face" for a generation has been averted in time for Smash 4.

However, for FE, Sakurai will probably consult IS for some advice. He likely knows about how much requests for Roy's return there are, and from this probably understands that Ike being cut would be met with a similar outcry. Chrom's similarity to Ike probably does not make him a particularly attractive newcomer choice (I think if Chrom were not the most recent lord he would probably fall down the memory hole) to add for Sakurai. I think its definitely a real possibility that Sakurai could add all four of them in, however, by Smash 5, I think if the latest main protagonist is yet another blue-haired swordsmen, Sakurai would probably pass on him (or whoever is directing Smash 5).

I have a real feeling that Tiki will show up as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4 though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Why Tiki?

Seems like an odd choice to me.
She was a playable character in every Fire Emblem game released after Brawl, and she is the prominent character of the mamkute/manakete class (ie. human characters transforming into a dragon). Her Assist Trophy function would be pretty obvious, she first appears in her "human" form, but then holds her dragon orb and transforms into a holy dragon, and breathes fire on your opponents.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
She was a playable character in every Fire Emblem game released after Brawl, and she is the prominent character of the mamkute/manakete class (ie. human characters transforming into a dragon). Her Assist Trophy function would be pretty obvious, she first appears in her "human" form, but then holds her dragon orb and transforms into a holy dragon, and breathes fire on your opponents.
Huh. Thought she only appeared in Awakening.
Probably because of DKCR3D.
Wrong Tiki. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Fire Emblem is royally ****ed over? Gee, didn't see that coming. A series that is afraid to stray away from the character arch types is pretty much biting it in the ass at this point.

It's that reason why speculating over Fire Emblem is pointless. Nothing but dull choices and everyone loses in the end anyway.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I have a real feeling that Tiki will show up as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4 though.
Would still prefer the Triangle Attack myself, but Tiki's cool and definitely deserving of an appearance in Smash.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
One thing to keep in mind is that we dig up each and every character under the sun. There isn't a single character we don't know about (unless Sakurai pulls another Roy). So I wonder, at this point, who could REALLY surprise us. I kind of feel the Villager could do this, like R.O.B. all over again. A character that makes a bit of sense (actually loads more sense than R.O.B., really), but seems to have been shot down. Nobody really expects them since they're already thought to be out of the running. Something like that would be very surprising. Animal Crossing has just been so successful, especially RECENTLY, it may be enough to change Sakurai's mind...

Also like Habanero said, guys like Takamaru or Mach Rider would be very surprising, just not for us.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's that reason why speculating over Fire Emblem is pointless. Nothing but dull choices and everyone loses in the end anyway.
I think if FE were to get four slots that Marth, Roy, Ike, and Anna would make most people happy. The first three have very specific and large fanbases and probably the closest characters to faces for the FE series, while the last one scratches the itch of "we need a femalez" of the miscellaneous female FE character fanbases (Lucina/Micaiah/Lyn), yet does not have the problem of being less important and less popular than another lord from a particular game or arc and is practically guaranteed to keep making new appearances in the series.

The Chrom fanbase could be kept happy by having a lot of FE13 content in general (I think FE13 is going to be the FE game that receives the most content in Smash 4 regardless), and by having Marth and Ike reference Lucina and Chrom in their Smash outfits (Marth's FE13 outfit is the same as Lucina's, and I think if FE10 Ike were to have received a re-design like the art designer for FE13 wanted, he probably would have had Chrom's outfit, or rather a pallette swap of it).

My own personal choice for a fourth FE character would be Master Knight Leaf though. However, within the context of an actual Smash 4, adding a character from FE4/FE5 (which were the only two FE games not to receive any content in Brawl) would seem quite random.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
One thing to keep in mind is that we dig up each and every character under the sun. There isn't a single character we don't know about (unless Sakurai pulls another Roy). So I wonder, at this point, who could REALLY surprise us. I kind of feel the Villager could do this, like R.O.B. all over again. A character that makes a bit of sense (actually loads more sense than R.O.B., really), but seems to have been shot down. Nobody really expects them since they're already thought to be out of the running. Something like that would be very surprising. Animal Crossing has just been so successful, especially RECENTLY, it may be enough to change Sakurai's mind...

Also like Habanero said, guys like Takamaru or Mach Rider would be very surprising, just not for us.
I guess. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that there's some sort of character that's passed under our radar. Either way we won't find out until whenever.

I think if FE were to get four slots that Marth, Roy, Ike, and Anna would make most people happy.
Kinda surprised you're for Anna all of a sudden. Not that I blame you or anything, just kinda surprised to see a liberal character coming from one of the more conservative guys around here. Wasn't there also a time when she was suggested and we all tore her apart too?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Kinda surprised you're for Anna all of a sudden. Not that I blame you or anything, just kinda surprised to see a liberal character coming from one of the more conservative guys around here. Wasn't there also a time when she was suggested and we all tore her apart too?
I am not for Anna, nor do I think she is realistic. However, in terms of a female FE newcomer, she is definitely the best choice. For whatever its worth, she did end up getting nearly a similar amount of votes as Chrom did in the official FE13 poll. I think the idea of a playable Anna will become plausible at around Smash 5 if she continues to have more prominent (and playable) roles in future FE games.

In Japan, I have not ever seen the suggestion of Anna come up, and for the official Japanese FE13 poll she only ranked as the 13th most popular female character of that game.

As long as I get Marth, Roy, and Ike, I don't care what happens with a fourth slot for FE, they could even add Tharja for all I care.

D

Deleted member

So ChronoBound, what are your thoughts on Chrom/Lucina being a tag team?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If I had to choose 4 choose 4 FE reps, I would go with the ones who have already had a 3D model in Smash Bros.(Marth, Ike, Roy, Lyn)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was more or less asking about if you would be interested in seeing the duo incorporated into Smash.
As I mentioned earlier, the only three FE characters I care about are Marth, Roy, and Ike. I really like Leaf, but he is unrealistic as a newcomer (the same goes for Pico and F-Zero).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom/Lyn all the way!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It looks like everyone thought the same thing I did when seeing Merio and Luigi 3DS...

Wart.

Ya know, since it takes place in the dream world.

Too bad it's not going to happen

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Who knows maybe the surprises this time will involve characters already in the game.
I'm kinda expecting Diddy being paired with Dixie this time, but maybe other changes will happen.
Baby Mario riding Yoshi?
Luigi Poltergust-based only?
Some revived moveset like for Ganondorf or Link?
All that not counting third parties in which pretty much anything can happen.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wouldn't really mind Anna myself, she could work too as Chrono said in means of being an FE Female, though I don't still think this means other females are insignificant to be in. (Especially Lyn)

On the other note, Oasis hitted the nail. I bet if they added characters like Dion, Max and Jack from Marvelous: Mouhitotsu No Takarajima, I'd definitely know them but most here wouldn't. Still, I feel like Sakurai will add some character hardcore audience knows, but casuals don't, because hardcore audience is always the second market.

Well I guess that was extreme, but yeah.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Marth is the only character that matters, and anyone that thinks otherwise is an idiot. Everyone else from Fire Emblem can thrown out the window with no ill side effects, due to how disposable they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom