• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I love that A Link to the Past finally got a sequel after 20+ years. That was my favorite 2D Zelda game of all time. Also, I am kinda glad that they finally ditched the "toon" art style in favor of "old-school" style for Zelda 3DS.

I hope this doesn't mean we get three Links in SSB4, though... Link from Skyward Sword, Toon Link from Wind Waker HD, and Young Link from Zelda 3DS.
This isn;t the first sequel to A link to the past

There was one in 1993

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
OMG! Yoshi's Island 3DS!!!! *squeals like a fangirl*

Looks like we know what the new Yoshi stages are gonna be based on.... this plus Yarn Yoshi.

I know LA is the first sequel of ALTTP... I guess I meant the first new Zelda game that is heavily based off ALTTP.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Looks like we know what the new Yoshi stages are gonna be based on.... this plus Yarn Yoshi.

I know LA is the first sequel of ALTTP... I guess I meant the first new Zelda game that is heavily based off ALTTP.
Hell Yeah!

Yoshi's Island 3DS is now the game I'm looking forward to the most

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think we will know what design "normal" Link uses less than two months from now since Link will certainly be among the first veterans confirmed at the unveil. I am guessing it will either be his Skyward Sword design or an entirely new design.

If this Link comes in, I could see him being in as "Young Link" and having Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask Young Link as an alternate costume of his. However, listening to the trailer, I am not sure, but this A Link To the Past 2 Link seems to have the same voice as Wind Waker Link, though I am not sure.
My guess is the "Wind Waker" voice has just become the default voice for Young Link now. Much like how Adult Link's voice has been consistent since Ocarina of Time. I definitely think this justifies why having two Links an important aspect for the Zelda series in SSB (as Sakurai has expressed). My only hope is they differentiate the two, since, especially now, there are a lot of games providing contrast between their tools and playstyle.

Link: Skyward Sword/Ocarina of Time 3DS
Toon Link: Wind Waker HD/A Link to the Past II

There's no controversy guys. Toon Link already has a "classic Link" color scheme in Brawl, I assume the case will pretty much be the same in the next game.

Don't forget Four Swords Adventure. That was pretty much ALTTP 1.5.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I know this is an unpopuar opinion... but I actually want Baby Mario as the second Yoshi rep. Yoshi and Baby Mario could share the same slot on the character select screen... and like Zelda/Sheik, you can select Yoshi or Baby Mario. No transformations via Down B nor Final Smash. It's just aesthetics...

Play as Yoshi? Baby Mario is riding on Yoshi's back. He doesn't affect Yoshi's gameplay. Play as Baby Mario? Yoshi is inside the giant egg that is following behind Baby Mario. The egg is used as a projectile (think "Smash Egg" from Partners in Time). I just think it would be interesting to have a character similar to Lucky Glauber from King of Fighters games (Baby Mario uses the Yoshi egg as a basketball).

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
So this new Zelda =/= the one they were talking about developing before, right?

I could have sworn they said it was for the wii U. So i guess there are two new zelda games in development?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am curious whether A Link To The Past Link gets in Smash 4 whether he will be called Toon Link or Young Link. As I mentioned before, Toon Link and Young Link actually have different body proportions. While A Link To The Past Link is cell-shaded, he has similar body proportions as Young Link.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am curious whether A Link To The Past Link gets in Smash 4 whether he will be called Toon Link or Young Link. As I mentioned before, Toon Link and Young Link actually have different body proportions. While A Link To The Past Link is cell-shaded, he has similar body proportions as Young Link.
One way to find out... the day when SSB4's final roster is leaked.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah it's a good question now. We'll just have to wait and find out...and deal with factions of people who support either version of what is the same character.

On the bright side though, we don't have to deal with Mask Link or Skull Kid stuff.

D

Deleted member

It probably won't be either.
Since Young Link was the younger version of Link in Melee (both being from OoT) and Toon Link was named as such for his cartoonish appearance, neither name would really fit the LttP Link. It would also imply they were the same character, which was avoided in Brawl with Toon Link not being referred to as "Young Link" and being listed as a Newcomer rather than a veteran.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Arcadenik: Wait, they're doing a new Smash Bros? I've completely forgot!

Okay, I gotta stop joking. But yeah, all this is just... greaaattt. And to think I'm getting FE:Awakening about tomorrow. (->v<-)

Habanero: Chill out old pepper, I just forgot all about Super Smash Bros 4 today due all the sheer awesomeness.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Arcadenik: Wait, they're doing a new Smash Bros? I've completely forgot!

Okay, I gotta stop joking. But yeah, all this is just... greaaattt. And to think I'm getting FE:Awakening about tomorrow. (->v<-)
Tomorrow? Doesn't the game release on Friday?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Since Young Link was the younger version of Link in Melee (both being from OoT) and Toon Link was named as such for his cartoonish appearance, neither name would really fit the LttP Link. It would also imply they were the same character, which was avoided in Brawl with Toon Link not being referred to as "Young Link" and being listed as a Newcomer rather than a veteran.
That's why I said they should go for "Classic Link" it suits him and neither implies he's a younger or cartoony version of the other Link. :)

Of course he will be treated as a newcomer again like they did with Toon Link but yeah.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
TP Link and Hero of Time Link are not the same character yet Brawl Link was not counted as a newcomer.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Again, it will probably just be Toon Link returning with his classic palette swap. Much ado about nothing. Ganondorf and Sheik are the ones I'm curious about.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Man, now the Zelda discussion is even more complicated than before... there's Ocarina of Time 3D, Skyward Sword, Wind Waker HD, and now Link to the Past sequel... not to mention the upcoming Zelda Wii U game as well. It's like Nintendo is trying to throw us off the trail while we debate among ourselves how Zelda characters are gonna be based on in SSB4.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's becoming like those dreaded Fire Emblem discussions. I don't really care which Link design will get in. Heck, it could even be an original design made for Smash, like what happens with some characters.

@Horsetail: My computer clock reads as 21:45... I'd assume that close to midnight is around 23/11 pm, so I just tried to guess. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Doesn't matter which version of Link, what's more important is fixing the problems that Link has now. He's been a mediocre character in every game so far, so a change of pace would be appreciated.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Habanero: Yeah. PM made Link very good though (same for Toon). Now my bro just tries to spam using him because how good he is.

But I have to agree, Link needs to be reworked...

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I guess people are forgetting about Spirit Tracks.

Doesn't matter which version of Link, what's more important is fixing the problems that Link has now. He's been a mediocre character in every game so far, so a change of pace would be appreciated.
Shouldn't have to worry about that since Skyward Sword didn't have Link using a boomerang or hookshot.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Although I really enjoyed The Wind Waker, I personally like the design for Link in A Link To The Past more.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What I think about Link and Toon Link is that both should have different movesets, using different items and even different swords (Toon Link could use the Four Sword, Phantom Sword or the Spirit Tracks sword for aesthetic purposes).

With items like Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer and such, Toon Link could have a different, more unique moveset.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Although I really enjoyed The Wind Waker, I personally like the design for Link in A Link To The Past more.
Same here. I adore Toon Link and his design. But I personally find the design of him (and Princess Zelda) from a Link to the Past the best in the series so far. So I'd love to play as him in smash 4 this time around.

But yeah, they could use a bit more differentiation in their movesets though. I'd be fine if they at least tried to semi-clone them a bit.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Pikmin 3 now has a confirmed release date: August 4th.

So looks like we won't be really able to speculate about possible Pikmin newcomers until this summer (if any discussion will even be possible by then due to the explosion of hype that will happen at E3).

Like my feeling about a new "child Link" that was not Toon/Young Link being in the new 3DS Zelda, I have a feeling we are going to be hit with a major curveball at the E3 2013 unveil.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
On Pikmin, even if Olimar doesn't appear in 3, I think he should stay, but have the new Pikmin from 3 (Rock and Winged).

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
So I have to wait till August now?
NOOOOOOO!!!!
Oh we'll, I've waited nine years for this game already, so I suppose I can last another 4 months. :(
On topic: I don't think we should get any Pikmin newcomers, Olimar represents the series just fine on his own and the new characters don't really look like they could potentially be as popular.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So I have to wait till August now?
NOOOOOOO!!!!
Oh we'll, I've waited nine years for this game already, so I suppose I can last another 4 months. :(
On topic: I don't think we should get any Pikmin newcomers, Olimar represents the series just fine on his own and the new characters don't really look like they could potentially be as popular.
Aaawwwwww

Because I wanted:

But seriously, an Olimar semi-clone is something I could see happening. You know Sakurai and his surprises. Though I agree that Pikmin could make do without another rep... Man, when I think about it, an Olimar semi-clone does not interest me at all. But who knows, perhaps I'll like him/her in the end (if we do get a semi-clone). I can't say much if I haven't tried out the character. =P

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Sakurai could always make up some BS for another Pikmin rep. "This new captain uses ice and plasma Pikmin! What? They don't exist? Now they do! *Laughs*"
On the topic of Zelda, cool beans. Maybe this means Ganon has a better chance of being a transformation FS instead of a 1.3 second FS.
Also, should I make a Classic Link support thread? I have some ideas bundling up right now.

D

Deleted member

So looks like we won't be really able to speculate about possible Pikmin newcomers until this summer (if any discussion will even be possible by then due to the explosion of hype that will happen at E3).

Like my feeling about a new "child Link" that was not Toon/Young Link being in the new 3DS Zelda, I have a feeling we are going to be hit with a major curveball at the E3 2013 unveil.
I'll have to agree with the curveball here. As much as I'd like to think that the combination of Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Takamaru and Mega Man all makes sense for an E3 reveal, given that Melee and Brawl each gave us character we didn't see coming, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one character generally considered to be unlikely were in the trailer instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom