• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's only what people who haven't embraced their true Strength say!
There's no need to embrace if you're already the Strongest.

EDIT: Also this is getting off topic so lets not go to much farther with this.

D

Deleted member

If Wario exists in the same universe as Mario as evidenced in Super Mario Land 2 and Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3.... and if Wario exists in the same universe as Dr. Mario as evidenced in Dr. Mario 64.... then it suggests that Mario and Dr. Mario are the one and the same.

Oh, and here's Mario's Melee trophy description: "Known worldwide as Mr. Nintendo, Mario uses his incredible jumping ability to thwart the evil Bowser time after time. While he's best known as a hero, Mario has played many roles, including racer, doctor, golfer, and villain. His tastes have changed over 20 years of gaming; he long ago swapped the colors of his shirt and overalls."

And here's Mario's Brawl trophy description: "A familiar overall-clad figure who is Nintendo's flagship character. His courage and jumping ability have seen him through countless adventures. He's a multitalented plumber with the knowledge of a physician, a top-notch golfer, and a veteran tennis umpire. Is his jumping prowess a boon from his girder-climbing days?"
Miyamoto > Anything else
Miyamoto said:
There's really only one rule in terms of the things that Mario does. Generally, it's that he's more on the blue-collar side. He's hard-working, and certainly much more physical in nature. So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario. Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate.
Though if you want to use in terms of Smash, here's Dr. Mario's trophy description:
"Immaculate in his medical garb, Dr. Mario destroys killer viruses with his amazing vitamin capsules. With his dedicated nurse, Princess Peach, at his side, Dr. Mario spends day and night in his laboratory working on new miracle cures. Somehow he's managed to keep up with all the new viruses that have arisen over the years."

Now, how can Mario work day and night working on miracle cures if he's busy saving Peach from Bowser for the umpteenth million time, hosting sports tournaments, parties, kart races, etc.?
And how can Peach govern a kingdom if she stands by Doc's side?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not to mention, that Brawl has a LOT of wrong details when it comes to trophies.

Especially when it came to the DK series.

@ ---

True Strength is when you keep focusing on becoming Stronger, even when you are the Strongest.

D

Deleted member

I started this topic on GameFAQs yesterday to minimal fanfare. When Ridley is revealed, I fully plan on bumping "How Will the Anti-Ridley Crowd Explain His Upcoming E3 Reveal" so we can watch the reactions in real-time.

I'm expecting a mixture of "I never said he was impossible, just that he's too big" and "See? He looks ********. Sakurai making him not too big doesn't invalidate that he is too big."

As M. Bison would say, it will be delicious.
Oooh, that's gonna be good. Make sure you bump it every few days so it doesn't get closed, though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Note the word "maybe". You don't say "maybe" unless you're certain. So, Miyamoto isn't even sure whether Dr. Mario is canon or not.

You know what else is unbelievable? Mario and Peach playing sports with Bowser like nothing. :rolleyes:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Note the word "maybe". You don't say "maybe" unless you're certain. So, Miyamoto isn't even sure whether Dr. Mario is canon or not.

You know what else is unbelievable? Mario and Peach playing sports with Bowser like nothing. :rolleyes:
Or you know he could be saying 'maybe' so that we don't know what he means, so that he can troll with us.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I started this topic on GameFAQs yesterday to minimal fanfare. When Ridley is revealed, I fully plan on bumping "How Will the Anti-Ridley Crowd Explain His Upcoming E3 Reveal" so we can watch the reactions in real-time.

I'm expecting a mixture of "I never said he was impossible, just that he's too big" and "See? He looks ********. Sakurai making him not too big doesn't invalidate that he is too big."
Go for it.

As M. Bison would say, it will be delicious.
Wait, what?

True Strength is when you keep focusing on becoming Stronger, even when you are the Strongest.
Somehow this Silly discussion turned Serious, and that's no fun. :p

So you wanna fight or what? Probably have to wait our turn though, Kuma & SmashChu have already booked all the arenas around here. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Miyamoto covered that already as well:
Miyamoto said:
If you're familiar with things like Popeye and some of the old comic characters, you would often times see this cast of characters that takes on different roles depending on the comic or cartoon. They might be businessman in one [cartoon] or a pirate in another. Depending on the story that was being told, they would change roles. So, to a certain degree, I look at our characters in a similar way and feel that they can take on different roles in different games. It's more like they're one big family, or maybe a troupe of actors.
Though you will probably just look at that "maybe" at the end again. :rolleyes:

I remember another "maybe" Miyamoto has said in the past...
Miyamoto in 1991 said:
Who knows what Mario will look like in the future? Maybe he'll wear metallic clothes!

And then Metal Mario came in 1996.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, verbatim M. Bison: "This is delicious!"

Also, what specific trophy errors did the PAL version fix? All I know is that the random Barrel Blast Kremlings were given new backstories in their trophies. Was it major stuff, like Dark Samus being "identical" to regular Samus?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If this is implying that Miyamoto sees Mario as a cartoon character who can change roles depending on story... then he pretty much contradicted himself by saying that Dr. Mario is not legitimate. Unless Miyamoto is implying that Dr. Mario is just an unlicensed doctor and therefore not legitimate. :troll:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Im sure we will have better stuff to talk about after june...and suprisingly if he doesnt show up at E3 doesnt mean hes not in the game...(as a boss) xD

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Heck we'll have better stuff to talk about tomorrow.

I'm excited for that Nintendo Direct.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, what specific trophy errors did the PAL version fix? All I know is that the random Barrel Blast Kremlings were given new backstories in their trophies.
Well, after doing some research, these are the changes between the NTSC and PAL versions for the trophies:

-Lyn's age in the NTSC version was mistakenly listed as 15, which is the age given to her only in the Japanese version. The PAL version changes it to 18 to reflect the localization.
-The Black Knight trophy in the NTSC version's description refers to his sword as "Ettard" when it should be called "Alondite" due to the localization. The PAL version changed the name to the latter.
-On the Aryll trophy, the NTSC description says she has a "turtle-marked telescope." This has been corrected in the PAL version, which instead says "seagull-marked telescope".
-The NTSC trophy description for Baby Mario inconsistently talks about his lack of overalls, despite the trophy clearly depicting him wearing them. The sentence that mentioned it was reworded in the PAL version to reflect the trophy consistently.
-Walky's trophy in the NTSC version incorrectly states that it debuted in Kirby's Dream Land on the NES, where it was changed to Game Boy in the PAL version.
-Lucas' home village is given as Tazumili in the NTSC version of Brawl, but in Mother 3 the village is actually named Tazmily. This has been corrected in the PAL version.
-The Helirin's trophy in the NTSC version states that Kuru Kuru Kururin was released in Japan only, whereas it was also released in Europe. It also states that Kuru Kuru Kururin is the only game that it appeared in, when it also appeared in Kururin Paradise and Kururin Squash!. These errors have been fixed in the PAL version.
-As you mentioned, the Kremlings got completely new descriptions in the PAL version to instead focus on backstory over their capabilities.

Apparently there are a lot less changes then I thought, though maybe I'm missing something.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Did it ever address the mistake about Kaptain K.Rool being K.Rool's brother?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Seriously though I don't understand I can they make the errors Habanero listed. I understand giving Lyn the wrong age, but the Kururin one simply doesn't make sense. You're telling me that Sakurai couldn't look up on some of his Nintendo servers if the information was correct? So sloppy. Sometimes it feels like this game isn't made from Nintendo people really, only for the little things at least.

Browny

Smash Hater
^Not targeting you directly, but generally this forum.

I love how people blame Sakurai for everything. Have you ever finished the single player campaign and noticed that theres SO MANY names in the credits, you cant possibly hit them all?

Yeah, thats because Sakurai did everything *rollseyes*

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
^Not targeting you directly, but generally this forum.

I love how people blame Sakurai for everything. Have you ever finished the single player campaign and noticed that theres SO MANY names in the credits, you cant possibly hit them all?

Yeah, thats because Sakurai did everything *rollseyes*
I'm blaming Sakurai as the head of everything. It's a figure of speech. I also talk about "they" and "Nintendo people". Do you know other people who work on Smash Bros. other than Sakurai? I don't, so I talk only about him. He's the director, he's the boss, he holds the final responsibility.

Browny

Smash Hater
Pretty sure Sakurai is the 'director'

As in hes the one who makes decisions on how the game will play and its inclusions/exclusions. He doesnt do anything technical, he isnt a researcher, programmer, artist or anything like that.

I think its safer to say 'nintendo' instead of him. Just saying, Sakurai directed a game series weve loved for over a decade, yet everything minor is put on him despite very rarely any of those issue being something he would have controlled (ie; snakes utilt hitbox).

bobadz

Smash Ace
It'd be safer to say Nintendo of America considering Nintendo of Europe fixed most of these errors .

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Did anyone just watch the Nintendo Direct yet? Mario Party 3DS confirmed! Also a LoZ Alttp sequel in 3d. Earthbound is coming to the virtual console. And some other games were announced as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did anyone just watch the Nintendo Direct yet? Mario Party 3DS confirmed! With online multiplayer! Also a LoZ Alttp sequel in 3d. Earthbound is coming to the virtual console. And some other games were announced as well.
Alttp Link confirmed for SM4SH

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alttp Link confirmed for SM4SH

Ah darnit I wanted to say that. I actually wouldn't mind seeing ALttP Link playable as the next Toon/Young Link. Or maybe he would be regular Link...

He looks a bit like a mix of Toon Link and OoT Young Link in this new game....

ALttP was my first Zelda game. I'm looking forward to this. :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ah darnit I wanted to say that. I actually wouldn't mind seeing ALttP Link playable as the next Toon/Young Link. Or maybe he would be regular Link...

ALttP was my first Zelda game. :) I'm looking forward to this.
I actually remember a few days ago saying that a new incarnation of "child Link" on the 3DS could end up usurping both Toon and Young Link for the "child Link" spot.

Personally, I love A Link To The Past so I would not mind the spot cycling over to this Link. However, this begs the question if this Link were to get in, would he be called "Young Link" (he is a child version of Link) or "Toon Link" (he is cell-shaded, but he does not have Toon Link's exaggerated features).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I actually remember a few days ago saying that a new incarnation of "child Link" on the 3DS could end up usurping both Toon and Young Link for the "child Link" spot.

Personally, I love A Link To The Past so I would not mind the spot cycling over to this Link. However, this begs the question if this Link were to get in, would he be called "Young Link" (he is a child version of Link) or "Toon Link" (he is cell-shaded, but he does not have Toon Link's exaggerated features).
Yeah I said a similar thing in the Young Link thread a week or two ago as well.

I'd go for Classic Link I guess. But maybe that takes the name away from NES Link... hmm... :/

Edit: Or NES Link could be Anniversary or Original Link or something, then ALttP Link can be Classic Link. :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Technically Young Link could be an alternate costume of this Link since they have similar body proportions. I think if DLC happens we could very well end up getting three Links in Smash 4 (Link, Young, and Toon). Its now a matter of Toon Link vs. A Link to The Past Link.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I hope Toon Link stays to be honest.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So Link to the Past 2 was announced today in the new Nintendo Direct. What do you guys think this could mean for Smash? The Link you play as looks like a cartoony version of the Link from the original artwork for LttP

D

Deleted member

Funny enough, this will be the 5th game that exact Link has been in a game. (4th, if you count the Oracle games as 1 game).
-Link to the Past
-Link's Awakening
-Oracle of Time
-Oracle of Seasons
-Zelda 3DS

And I'm not talking design; it's actually the same Link.

EDIT: At this point, this Link may as well be THE Link, being used in the most games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Perhaps normal Link could be based on this Link while Toon Link remains the same?

Or they could both have one based on this Link. Toon Link already had a costume based on him already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom