• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's creepy and weird, and he makes me want to beat him up. So in my books he's a good villain. And kinda unpredictable to. I enjoyed his role in Skyward Sword, but he isn't topping Ganondorf for me quite yet. Vaati was also cool in Minish Cap. But never played Four Swords, so don't really have a good well rounded opinion of him.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Go Roy! I'm rooting for you! :colorful:

Though, I wouldn't really mind Ghirahim in the end. It's probably because I feel pretty content with the Zelda reps we already have. I just hope that Ganon will get a revamped moveset, drawing inspiration from the Zelda games.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I would rather see Vaati in the game over Ghirahim and I've never even played a game Vaati's in. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I became a full Roy fan again after Mew2King posted those vids in the Roy thread. :roymelee:

And you know what. Vaati would've made an awesome villain in the Wind Waker. Cause he's an Evil Wind Mage and all.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
^ Actually, I like that design. If only he was as good as he looked.
Now what DOES scare me is things like this...
*shivers*

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Spmash Bros.? Never heard of that one. What's it play like?
Kinda like Smash 64. Semi fast, but not really filled with techniques. The roster is kinda bland too. It's also very obvious which characters are top tier and which are bottom.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Though, as much as I'd want this, you know me. I'd prefer Shota Roy over regular Roy. :troll:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Total Amount of Characters (including transformations): 60
Total Amount of Characters (not including transformations): 55
Aren't those just nice, even numbers? :)
Dillon was added to make the roster nice and square (well, technically a rectangle).

4/15/2013

Updated with DLC, and fixed the double Little Mac error.

Left = On Disk
Right = DLC
What do you guys think of my updated roster? The Left is the on-disk roster. The right are characters I think aren't exactly likely to be on disk, but are pretty good DLC characters.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What do you guys think of my updated roster? The Left is the on-disk roster. The right are characters I think aren't exactly likely to be on disk, but are pretty good DLC characters.
Too many new Mario characters. I'm also not a fan of Miis being playable. Other than that it's good. 8/10

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Do you really think we will get 4 Sonic characters?
Only as possible DLC (Notice it's to the right). Nintendo and Sega have a pretty close relationship, so I don't think it's too radical.

Too many new Mario characters. I'm also not a fan of Miis being playable. Other than that it's good. 8/10
The 8 Mario characters are to match the 8 Pokemon characters (my assumption that Mewtwo is returning along with his new forme)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There was a mention last page of Brawl's Krystal/Midna fans taunting the Wolf/Toon Link fans that their characters would never become playable because they'd be clones. For at least one of Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario, I could see this becoming the case again.
It would be bittersweet ironic if Toad turned out to be a clone of Mario and Luigi just because every time Toads are playable in the main Mario games, they always have the same abilities as Mario and Luigi (SMB2, NSMBWii, NSMBU). If Toad turned out to be a semi-clone of Mario, then at the very least I hope Toad is the Wolf of the Mario Bros. Seriously, I prefer Wolf over Fox and Falco in Brawl.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah.... Too many Mario and Sonic characters but other than that, it's pretty cool!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Yeah.... Too many Mario and Sonic characters but other than that, it's pretty cool!
Those seem to be the most common criticisms. Check my previous response for my rationalizations.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Do you really think we will get 4 Sonic characters?
Doubt it... but if we are... then I hope the 4 Sonic characters are Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Eggman. The original heroes from the Genesis games plus the series villain.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm not the best at this, but I'll try.

I agree that there seems to be a bit too much Mario characters. I'm personally expecting one, max two (as a late semi-clone addition) Mario newcomers, though that's just a personal gut feeling. The rest seems to be good for me, but I'm not sure on the abundance of Pokemon and DLC characters. I personally don't think we're not getting two, let alone four, Sonic characters any time soon. You know Sakurai and his stance on third parties. But you never know...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Doubt it... but if we are... then I hope the 4 Sonic characters are Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Eggman. The original heroes from the Genesis games plus the series villain.
That was why I picked Knuckles over Shadow. And even though it's 3rd party, Sonic games are very Nintendo-like, and I think all those characters could easily fit in.
And just so everyone knows, I didn't use "logic" in DLC like I did the on disk roster. In fact, my main reason for adding Dillon was to make it a perfect square. Other things put into consideration were series representation (hence the big buff in Mario characters), popular requests (Ridley, K Rool, Shulk, Mewtwo, Mega Man), and the fact that Namco's developing it (Pac-Man).
For DLC, I just picked a few characters that aren't very likely to be on disk, but would fit into the game. (Except Wart, because I just like him.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I pretty much lost my interests with Gardevoir after the Brawl hype.

Even though I do not like to admit it, Dr.Mario is extremely likely if we get 6 total Mario characters.
Isn't Dr. Mario rather redundant to make as a separate character? He can also be an outfit swap for Mario after all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He is redundant. But still... Didn't stop him from being planned for Brawl I guess...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Isn't Dr. Mario rather redundant to make as a separate character? He can also be an outfit swap for Mario after all.

Don't diss the Doc. He's obviously getting in, because Obama's Universal Health Care goes into effect in 2014, and that's when most people expect Smash 4.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
For DLC, I just picked a few characters that aren't very likely to be on disk, but would fit into the game. (Except Wart, because I just like him.)
"I am the great Wart! Bah ha ha!"

I always liked him better than Bowser as a kid...but damn, I always wondered why he'd put a machine that spews out his weakness, vegetables, in his room. I'd love to see him in Smash...ah these pipe dreams...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
"I am the great Wart! Bah ha ha!"

I always liked him better than Bowser as a kid...but damn, I always wondered why he'd put a machine that spews out his weakness, vegetables, in his room. I'd love to see him in Smash...ah these pipe dreams...
I don't think, for DLC obviously, that it's too out of the question.
I mean, Super Mario Bros. 2 sold 10 million copies alone, which is just barely less than the entire StarFox series (11.5 million units).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think, for DLC obviously, that it's too out of the question.
I mean, Super Mario Bros. 2 sold 10 million copies alone, which is just barely less than the entire StarFox series (11.5 million units).
Man, you're relying too much on sales, which hardly matter for a character's inclusion. Wart hasn't been seen since 1994 (before I was born :laugh:) considering the All Stars remake. He's even more unlikely than Geno.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Apparently Dr. Mario being a costume wouldn't work because the idea of Mario shooting out fireballs wouldn't make sense.
Oh, sure... Sakurai says this... and then he goes ahead and make Wario's Wario Land alternate costume where the Wario from Wario Land games is performing moves from WarioWare games. :rolleyes:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Man, you're relying too much on sales, which hardly matter for a character's inclusion. Wart hasn't been seen since 1994 (before I was born :laugh:) considering the All Stars remake. He's even more unlikely than Geno.

2001, youngster. :p
Less likely than Geno? Well, you're entitled to your own opinion, but no. Geno has very little chance, even as DLC.
And sales DO matter. That's why Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda are the most represented. The only exceptions, really, are retro characters.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I can accept paper mario and toon link because they're not just mario and link dressed in different cloths and with slightly different moves.

They're completely different interpretations seemingly from a different universe (I know that's not truly the case for zelda but its a different person).
This is why I'm not fond of Dr. Mario. I mean mario strikers is pretty popular too. Should we be adding a soccer mario because of that?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wart was last seen in Super Mario Advance, SMB2's GBA remake in 2001, actually.

The fact that Retro joked about reviving Doki Doki Panic and included a SMB2 stage in their DKCR concept art makes me hope that maybe, one day, we'll see those characters again...if only.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically speaking Dr. Mario comes from a parallel universe. The Dr. Mario games are a rare case where they're not canon to the Mario universe.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I only support Wart as DLC, just because I like him.
If he makes it on-disk over Toad, I'd be pissed.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Technically speaking Dr. Mario comes from a parallel universe. The Dr. Mario games are a rare case where they're not canon to the Mario universe.
My statement wasn't trying to literally prove they were from another universe or prove that they were the same. I'm eluding to the fact that Paper mario and Toon link's world has a different style and aesthetic. They unquestionably appear different. Dr. Mario just looks like mario's second job.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wart was last seen in Super Mario Advance, SMB2's GBA remake in 2001, actually.

The fact that Retro joked about reviving Doki Doki Panic and included a SMB2 stage in their DKCR concept art makes me hope that maybe, one day, we'll see those characters again...if only.
I wish Retro would make something like a "Super Mario Bros. 2 Returns" and we can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad... 4 players at the same time... and we pick up enemies instead of jumping on them... and Birdo, Mouser, Tryclyde, Clawgrip, and Wart are back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom