• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm actually interested to see if any game(s) revealed will have a protagonist which people will start considering as another Smash 4 candidate. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

They could show the title at the very least so we can get that out of the way. But nah, I don't really expect to see anything smash related before E3. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we did though.
I'm fine with waiting really, E3 is only a few weeks away now. Least we know it, it'll be E3 already, AND Smash 4 was confiremed to be revealed then, so I doubt Iwata would go back on his word, for better or worse.

True. But hypothetically, they could talk about the 3DS version and still keep the Wii U version for E3.
I don't see it happening, people are setting up false expectations due to the drought. For one the 3DS version will be the secondary version from what it seems. Honestly, as of right now, we near nothing of the relationship of the two. ALL Smash related info will be unveiled at this E3.

Imo, this direct will be about the following:
Quoted from Wario Bros. in the General Thread
Nintendo has confirmed that there WILL be a 3DS Miiverse (and a smart phone Miiverse) in the future and I think this Nintendo Direct is the perfect time to show this. And I do remember that Nintendo wants to do plenty of Wii U/3DS connectivity that they couldn't do with the DS & Wii (their reason why we saw barely ANY of that was because the DS had 2 screens and the Wii didn't'). So, again, it sound pretty likely.
Also, why did we all migrate back here to talk about non-roster stuff again? I don't get it, the other thread was fine, and we could talk about whatever with no worries. Here, this discussion is off-topic, and it's just gonna get the thread closed down again. M&SG closed it to force people to use the General thread for all general talk, yes that also includes characters. I'm guessing it's because this is where all the cool kids hang out...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So....anyone think we could get two Mario Newcomers this time around?

I'm thinking Paper Mario and Toad/Bowser Jr.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

While it's obviously a case of "the more the merrier", it depends on how many newcomers are planned.

IMO, the Mario series should have 2 newcomers. (Personal choices: Toad and Paper Mario)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm fine with waiting really, E3 is only a few weeks away now. Least we know it, it'll be E3 already, AND Smash 4 was confiremed to be revealed then, so I doubt Iwata would go back on his word, for better or worse.
That's why I said they could. I'm not expecting it though. Like you said, E3 isn't too far away now and I'm sure Nintendo is just building every little hype up they can in order to let it all out during E3.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, didn't he just say that the first screens would be shown off at E3?
It doesn't mean that any other info about that game can't be discussed at all.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I doubt we'll get more than one Mario newcomer. If we end up getting two new Mario characters, I'm betting one of them is Dr. Mario. Regardless of how many people don't want him to return. The other Mario character would be anyone's guess. Please no Bowser Jr.

"Mario you PEST!"

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, why did we all migrate back here to talk about non-roster stuff again? I don't get it, the other thread was fine, and we could talk about whatever with no worries. Here, this discussion is off-topic, and it's just gonna get the thread closed down again. M&SG closed it to force people to use the General thread for all general talk, yes that also includes characters. I'm guessing it's because this is where all the cool kids hang out...
Its not off-topic talk. The previous discussion was about character speculation and their fanbases (specifically about what they were like during pre-Brawl). The past several days discussion has been going very well here. Its still connected with discussion about the roster.

There has been no discussion about gameplay, anime, or other fighting games here since the thread has re-opened.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Even though I do not like to admit it, Dr.Mario is extremely likely if we get 6 total Mario characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
IMO, the Mario series should have 2 newcomers. (Personal choices: Toad and Paper Mario)
Those would be my personal choices too if Mario were to receive two newcomers in Smash 4. Though I agree with Diddy Kong that if we were to somehow get two Mario newcomers in Smash 4, one of them would probably be Dr. Mario (probably added as a last minute addition).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope it'll be Toad and Dr.Mario then, and not Waluigi and Dr.Mario...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The Super Mario Bros. series is fine the way it is. Then again, pretty much every series is fine the way it is. Very few of the ones already established need a new character at this point.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There was a mention last page of Brawl's Krystal/Midna fans taunting the Wolf/Toon Link fans that their characters would never become playable because they'd be clones. For at least one of Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario, I could see this becoming the case again.

D

Deleted member

Diddy Kong said:
Shadow would really make me consider boycotting this Smash. He's easily the worst addition I can think of. I'm more open to Goku, Naruto and Mickey Mouse than him...
I swear to god if that hyper-active orange freak were to ever get in Smash 4, I would boycott this game.
Swampasaur said:

I wish it was plausible, but unfortunately it's not. Heck, we might not even get a Mario newcomer at all since none of the additions scream something that Sakurai would add.

That said, two Mario newcomers would be awesome, as long as it's one of Toad, Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Super Mario Bros. series is fine the way it is. Then again, pretty much every series is fine the way it is. Very few of the ones already established need a new character at this point.
I would say only Metroid, DK, and Kid Icarus are in high need of a newcomer (Ridley, K. Rool/Dixie Kong, and Palutena). Mario has so many popularly requested characters (although there is no consensus on who it should be) that I would be surprised if it does not receive one, but then again I was expecting a Mario newcomer for Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I swear to god if that hyper-active orange freak were to ever get in Smash 4, I would boycott this game.
I'd pirate the game, put it onto a hard drive, smash the hard drive, and burn the remains.

I would say only Metroid, DK, and Kid Icarus are in high need of a newcomer (Ridley, K. Rool/Dixie Kong, and Palutena).
I can agree on this. Everything else will be pretty much a "bonus", so to speak. This is one reason why character I support don't come from an established series. There's no point of stack pigs with more pigs, so let's look into something more new.

D

Deleted member

I swear to god if that hyper-active orange freak were to ever get in Smash 4, I would boycott this game.I wish it was plausible, but unfortunately it's not. Heck, we might not even get a Mario newcomer at all since none of the additions scream something that Sakurai would add.
Likewise, Naruto is as bad as you can get for character additions for any game not owned by Shounen Jump, and even then I still cringe at the idea, despite accepting it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There was a mention last page of Brawl's Krystal/Midna fans taunting the Wolf/Toon Link fans that their characters would never become playable because they'd be clones. For at least one of Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario, I could see this becoming the case again.
Same with Impa and Ghirahim. :awesome:

As it totally fits the pattern to.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So far, it seems to be happening to an extent with Lyn/Roy and K Rool/Dixie Kong. There might be more, but I've seen both cases a few times.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well. Waluigi pulled ahead of Isaac again in the poll...

Only ten points ahead though, so not too much.

EDIT:
Roy has pulled ahead of Ghirahim though. So we have reason to celebrate there.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So far, it seems to be happening to an extent with Lyn/Roy and K Rool/Dixie Kong. There might be more, but I've seen both cases a few times.
The thing is that the Wolf vs. Krystal and Toon Link vs. Midna rivalries were among fanbases of comparitively similar sizes. This time there is no such analogue. K. Rool and Roy are much more wanted than Dixie Kong and Lyn (Roy's rival this time is Chrom, who also has the possibility of coming in as a clone himself). I am intrigued that Dixie Kong is not more popularly requested than she is (or at least closer to K. Rool in requests), but I think once K. Rool is confirmed there will probably be more interest in her. K. Rool is at the very least Dojo material (I could very well see him following the same pattern as Diddy Kong and being among the first newcomers confirmed once Sakurai starts the next round of newcomer confirmations after E3 2013), and has a decent chance of even being confirmed at E3.

I said this in the Dixie Kong thread, but my main guess is that Dixie Kong's biggest prominence was from 1995 to 1997, while K. Rool was still a bigshot for the DK series in 1999/2000. For people who did not grow up with a Super Nintendo, they would be quite unfamiliar with her, while I would say the majority of Nintendo fans now are people who have their prime nostalgia years for the Nintendo 64 and early part of the GameCube generation, so there exists a familiarity with K. Rool due to DK64, which although is regarded as the weakest of Rare's DK platformers, probably had the strongest and most endearing appearance of K. Rool of all them.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'd rather pick Roy over Ghirahim. At least Roy doesn't look like a child molester and has that FIRE going for him.
I agree. Though, to be fair, Ghirahim does have the teleporting barrier things going for him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dr.Mario is probably still busy mending Sakurai's hand so maybe that wouldn't be needed. :troll:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'd rather pick Roy over Ghirahim. At least Roy doesn't look like a child molester and has that FIRE going for him.
Ghirahim's design alone is more than enough to deserve the spot, imho.
And the taunt of him dancing like in the ritual at the end of SS.
And the other taunt where he shows his tongue.
He's controversial, he's not "cool", he's ****ing creepy-weird. That's the great thing about him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still think Ghirahim is the second coming of Vaati. Both characters have white hair, purplish skin, and have a sort of "pretty boy" aesthetic. Not to mention Minish Cap and Skyward Sword shared the same director (which probably explains how certain Minish Cap items like the Gust Jar and Mole Mitts were in Skyward Sword as well).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Elzo > Fi though. Seriously Fi, could you please shut up while I try to play a damn game?

@ Vintage: Yeah, kinda. But am comparing them in a different way to. Seeing as people where always saying Midna would surely be higher on the priorities than Toon Link cause of 'uniqueness' and Toon Link being 'nothing but a clone'.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I still think Ghirahim is the second coming of Vaati. Both characters have white hair, purplish skin, and have a sort of "pretty boy" aesthetic. Not to mention Minish Cap and Skyward Sword shared the same director (which probably explains how certain Minish Cap items like the Gust Jar and Mole Mitts were in Skyward Sword as well).
And Minish Cap comes directly after Skyward Sword in the timeline :eek: :crazy:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I actually really don't like his design... the onesie-unitard with giant holes cut in it to expose his legs and chest? It's trying a bit too hard to be creepy. They should've gone for skin-crawling creepy, not molester creepy. Yes to tongue slithering in the ear, yes to him being furious, no to him wearing "sexy" outfits and no to him dancing around.
In short, I think he looks cooler as a
badass sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom