• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kystal's a hot character. I bet her tail feels real fluffy

D

Deleted member

If there was any point to Krystal other than being furry bait and a shoehorned love interest with little character, maybe I'd be less inclined to hate her. (Well, there's also her fans, admittedly the most prominent reason I hate her....)

bobadz

Smash Ace

Since64

Smash Cadet
If there was any point to Krystal other than being furry bait and a shoehorned love interest with little character, maybe I'd be less inclined to hate her. (Well, there's also her fans, admittedly the most prominent reason I hate her....)
Uh. I feel that the cast needed a female presence, and since it was finally confirmed that Slippy wasn't a girl...

Also, as a starfox fan since 1999, please fill me in on the deep in depth characters on the other four again? They are mostly parallels to the characters from Top Gun...

When this weird activity gap is over, I'd like some advice. I'm making a playlist for brawl chars. I'd like suggestions, If i could get them.

Here's what I got so far.
Mario: I Need A Hero, Pat Benatar
Luigi: Average Man, Reel Big Fish
Meta Knight: Behind the Mask, Anarchy Club.
R.O.B.: Electric Eye, Judas Priest.

Four Down Thirty-One to go.
So what songs do you think go with your favorite Brawl character?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Tingle has enough appearances and popularity to warrant an appearance in Smash but it is my view that he likely hasn't made it into the series yet because he lacks a way to have a creative moveset. I think some characters make it into Smash because it is easy to conceptialize a moveset for them.

Since64

Smash Cadet
Tingle has enough appearances and popularity to warrant an appearance in Smash but it is my view that he likely hasn't made it into the series yet because he lacks a way to have a creative moveset. I think some characters make it into Smash because it is easy to conceptialize a moveset for them.
Tingle........ TIIIIIIIIIINGLE! I hate tingle. I hate hate hate HAAAAAATE tingle!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What's with all this talk about Slippy being revealed as not being a girl? I always knew he was a guy, thanks to his trophy descriptions in Melee and Brawl using the pronoun "he." Don't tell me people can't read nowadays!

Melee trophy:
Slippy Toad is the mechanical genius behind most of the Star Fox team's new weapons and technology, and just lately he's been spending the bulk of his time in Research and Development. He's also a competent pilot, but his enthusiasm tends to outweigh his technical flight skills. He and Fox have been friends ever since their school days.
Brawl trophy:
A top-notch mechanic with less-than-stellar battle skills. Respected for his talent, he joins the Star Fox team and his mechanical genius in everything from vehicle maintenance to weapons development. Slippy often holds the team back with his clumsiness but makes up for it with his likeable personality and morale-boosting presence.

D

Deleted member

Uh. I feel that the cast needed a female presence, and since it was finally confirmed that Slippy wasn't a girl...

Also, as a starfox fan since 1999, please fill me in on the deep in depth characters on the other four again? They are mostly parallels to the characters from Top Gun...
Needed a female presence? Why not make Fara Phoenix canon or revive Miyu and/or Fay from the cancelled Star Fox 2 instead of randomly shoehorning a female love interest with no character that was originally from a completely unrelated game?

And if you really can't see how frigging bland Krystal is compared to the other four, I don't know what to tell you. The only time she wasn't bland (Command), she was a total unlikable *****.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Needed a female presence? Why not make Fara Phoenix canon or revive Miyu and/or Fay from the cancelled Star Fox 2 instead of randomly shoehorning a female love interest with no character that was originally from a completely unrelated game?

And if you really can't see how frigging bland Krystal is compared to the other four, I don't know what to tell you. The only time she wasn't bland (Command), she was a total unlikable *****.
True. But she has those bangin sweater puppies :troll: /sarcasm. Don't worry Golden, i'm not into that sort of thing. I used to want Krystal in Smash Bros., but not anymore.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I feel so bad for Krystal though. She was pretty much destroyed the once when Nintendo went to doll-up her game to a Star Fox-game, which reduced her role as second protagonist pretty nastily. (and made her what she's today after Rare and Nintendo were separated.)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Am I the only one who like Krystal for her character? And not for fox boobies?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Really, where the **** is this rabbid fanbase? It's just me here, and I'm gay.

So.

We can stop pretending like anyone is really pissing you guys off around here. No one ever brings up Krystal and proceeds to start a circle jerk like everyone seems to envision.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Really, where the **** is this rabbid fanbase? It's just me here, and I'm gay.

So.

We can stop pretending like anyone is really pissing you guys off around here. No one ever brings up Krystal and proceeds to start a circle jerk like everyone seems to envision.
They used to.

Pre-Brawl, it was scary....

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They used to.

Pre-Brawl, it was scary....
Yeah, I was around Pre-Brawl, and that was five years ago. Not right now. Hell the Lucario fanbase is probably one of the worst in recent history on this site. You weren't around but Rain and Sausage got people pretty riled up.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dude, Slippy totally had a fiancee in Command. He's no chick.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hating characters is a childish thing to do, in my opinion. I don't support Krystal at all, but I can't and won't deny that she does have moveset potential and could bring a unique moveset into the game, as much as I think she's overshadowed by Palutena and that I don't want more Star Fox characters in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am now in serious conflict wether I would want Krystal or Slippy as the fourth StarFox character should we ever have one.

Also, I still like Krystal and think StarFox Adventures is a great game. Now what?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I certainly did support Krystal for Brawl, mostly because I felt like a magical staff user would be different and more female characters etc.

The more I learn about her, however, the less interested I am in her... You seriously can't find pictures of her that aren't either fan-made furry bait or official furry bait. Which, you know, is fine if that's what you're in to... but it certainly lowers her general appeal when every single one of her outfits is yelling "don't you want some of these vixen melons?"

Also, I recently found out that one of her alternate timelines has her become a bounty hunter named Kursed.

"Kursed: Bad name, worse design."

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The two places Krystal shows up in Brawl, she has hints of fighting ability, which is a good thing. At least Sakurai has recognized her as a fighting character.

Peppy: That gives me itching for some action. I want in!
Slippy: No way! Old-timers like you ride the bench. This fight's mine!
Krystal: What are you two thinking? I'm the only one who can come through in a fight like this!
A member of the Star Fox team welcomed in Star Fox Adventures after the team met her on planet Sauria when responding to a distress signal. Krystal is capable of telepathy and is a valuable member in combat. After becoming romantically involved with Fox, their relationship gets very rocky in Star Fox Command.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kursed was so bad...

Also, Krystal also has another alternative ending which makes her part of Team StarWolf as Panther's chick.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Kursed was so bad...

Also, Krystal also has another alternative ending which makes her part of Team StarWolf as Panther's chick.
Which, as always, raises the confusing question of mixed-animal children in these anthroverses...

Double post edit: Were the other Star Fox characters so fickle? Reading about Krystal on the arwingipedia made me want to tell Fox "Naw bro, don't, she's so not worth it."

"Even if dat tail is just oh-so-fluffy."

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe Falco also hatched out of an egg?

Anyways, I don't really know how that would be possible... And frankly, I don't really care.

Fox and Krystal gave birth to a blue fox called Marcus though.

D

Deleted member

I certainly did support Krystal for Brawl, mostly because I felt like a magical staff user would be different and more female characters etc.

The more I learn about her, however, the less interested I am in her... You seriously can't find pictures of her that aren't either fan-made furry bait or official furry bait. Which, you know, is fine if that's what you're in to... but it certainly lowers her general appeal when every single one of her outfits is yelling "don't you want some of these vixen melons?"

Also, I recently found out that one of her alternate timelines has her become a bounty hunter named Kursed.

"Kursed: Bad name, worse design."
Ironically, there was a time that I actually supported Krystal for Brawl, but that was during a time that I didn't think for myself, didn't really know much about the Star Fox history, and was pretty much going by who had the most vocal support (I also didn't have an account anywhere). So yeah, I was surprised that Wolf, who I had been lead to believe was nothing special other than a "gray Fox", got in while Krystal didn't.
....and then time went on and as I strayed from the hive mind, I realized that Wolf really was the better choice in the long run and that it was Krystal that was nothing special. Especially after actually looking into the series as a whole.

That being said, I full on expect Krystal to be included if Sakurai were to add a 4th Star Fox character (which I doubt at this point), and am actually less hateful toward her (Instead, I'm more hopeful that if she isn't erased from canon that they actually put in the effort to make her decent and a legitimately likable character in future Star Fox titles).
Though I will not be clouded by the whole "staff equals unique" smoke and mirrors. If she gets in, she's going to be a semi-clone like Wolf is at most. And this is by logic, not bias.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I was around Pre-Brawl, and that was five years ago. Not right now. Hell the Lucario fanbase is probably one of the worst in recent history on this site. You weren't around but Rain and Sausage got people pretty riled up.
Try Waluigi on GameFAQs. Some of these fans are a scary bunch with their massive bias towards Waluigi.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Fans like those are scary. *shudders* I don't really support Krystal as I used to any more because of how the Star Fox franchise as a whole is declining and is going to become the next F-Zero/Mother. Assault was ok, Adventures was less than average, 64 3D was so so, and Command was so done awful that I can't think of a word to describe how bad it was. Pretty sad if you think about it. :(

Come on guys, we all know how god awful the Geno fans were in the past. :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why you became so bitter towards Krystal though Golden? Sure, Wolf might've been the better choice due to his seniority in the series, but Krystal fans where right to support her in the pre-Brawl days.

I supported Krystal due to Rare-bias btw. :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It still was around as recently as 2009/2010. I think that creepiness will probably come back after the Smash 4 is unveiled, but it won't be anywhere near those highs she had after the Brawl unveil.

Reading that link that bobadz posted, I remember I mentioned during pre-Brawl when talking about Krystal how she divided the fanbase (and really the post 64 games in general). The old guard for the Star Fox fanbase was upset about the influx of "Krystal is soooo haawwwt. yiff yiff yiff" types. On GameFAQs and Nsider, many long-time SF fans voiced their displeasure about the type of new fans coming in.

Wolf pretty much was the favored choice for a Star Fox newcomer for Brawl for much of pre-Brawl. Krystal only started to become competitive with Wolf in the West when Sakurai mentioned that one comment about ZSS (that one of the reasons he chose her was because he felt there was so few female fighters in Smash Bros.). Almost every female fanbase misinterpreted this comment as Sakurai saying that adding female characters is a plus and a priority over a male counterpart fighting for a similar spot for that series.

Even at SmashBoards, there was a stark contrast between the Wolf and Krystal support topic (the former talked more about Wolf and how he would play, while the latter sometimes devolved into drooling over pinup fanart).

I mean the Krystal fans were so loud you even have some people who re-collect and think that Wolf was not even popularly requested during pre-Brawl.

You mention Lucario as having a creepy fanbase, and while he may have had a few creepy supporters, I would not say his fanbase overall was creepy (at least among what existed among the Smash Bros. fanbase during pre-Brawl).

If you want to know a Pokemon that did have a really creepy fanbase, look no further than Gardevoir. Gardevoir fans had convinced themselves that she/he/it was the most likely Pokemon to represent third-generation aside from Deoxys, and that Gardevoir should replace Mewtwo because he/she/it was a more contemporary popular psychic Pokemon and because Mewtwo was bad as a fighter in Melee. Much of the Gardevoir fanbase was the driving force behind that Mewtwo needed to be dropped. Much of the time they spent talking about "fanart" for Gardevoir and how sexually attractive "she" was, and sometimes even indulging in their fantasies on what they would do if Pokemon was real and they caught a Gardevoir (they had debates whether Pokemon would obey commands to sexually violate them). It was really disgusting.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No it wasn't THAT extreme Chrono. Krystal had quite legit fans to. And most supported her cause of the staff, and her 'not being a clone like Wolf would be'. There where also quite a lot of Rare-fans, like me in there. But yeah, there where some 'omg ye I want Krystal cuz she hawttt' type of guys, but not nearly as much as seen on GameFaqs.

Imo, the Lucario supporters where just as nasty. And to come think of it, second to Ridley, the Lucario supporters where most obstinate. Diddy and Toon Link supporters where the nicests overall.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Chrono, are you trying to make me have nightmares tonight?

The way you describe the Gardevoir fanbase is making me feel disgusted.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Again, none of that creepiness seems to be happening this time around. There is the occasional "waifu" tongue-in-cheek joke, but nobody is really acting like a bunch of horny teenage boys. Even the Krystal support this time around is a lot less lewd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom