• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Again, none of that creepiness seems to be happening this time around. There is the occasional "waifu" tongue-in-cheek joke, but nobody is really acting like a bunch of horny teenage boys. Even the Krystal support this time around is a lot less lewd.
At least for now, yes. Can't say for sure if that will still apply two months from today...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No it wasn't THAT extreme Chrono. Krystal had quite legit fans to. And most supported her cause of the staff, and her 'not being a clone like Wolf would be'. There where also quite a lot of Rare-fans, like me in there. But yeah, there where some 'omg ye I want Krystal cuz she hawttt' type of guys, but not nearly as much as seen on GameFaqs.
I don't think anything I said was a hyperbole. The Krystal fanbase were certainly very loud, and the Krystal support topic on SmashBoards did have "omg so hawt" types. Others have said similar things. I still find it funny how Midna and Krystal fans bagged on Wolf and Toon Link for being possible clones and for that reason they would not get in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gardevoir's thread WAS really bad though. But I never investigated as much as Chrono did to come with such conclusions...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Gardevoir's thread WAS really bad though. But I never investigated as much as Chrono did to come with such conclusions...
I did not read much of Gardevoir's pre-Brawl support topic here. A lot of my observations about Gardevoir's fanbase was from GameFAQs and NSider (though the sexually explicit discussion stuff really did not come out in the latter due to stricter mods).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But c'mon, even Medusa and Palutena had their 'appriciation'. And even on these very boards.

I'm just especially creeped out by Gardevoir's 'love' cause of how unhuman she's looking. Even less so than Krystal. Though I don't understand either.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
But c'mon, even Medusa and Palutena had their 'appriciation'. And even on these very boards.
I am actually surprised about how little of "she is so hawt. mai waifu" has happened with Palutena. I don't remember any that happening in Palutena's support thread.

Although Palutena seems to have a quiet fanbase in general, which is a bit strange for a female character, especially one that is as popularly requested as she is.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jiggling has been mentoined a lot though for both characters...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Wolf as a clone could have made a lot of sense. Having a slow and strong clone of fast combo characters is actually interesting, and that essentially is the whole shtick with Fox/Wolf; Wolf comes in, mentions he has the stronger ship, and Fox outmaneuvers it. I'm still holding out hope that they'll make Wolf slower, heavier, and more vicious in the next game. Also, make Falco even more different from Fox, of course. I would be fine with Krystal getting in still, especially if she had an interesting moveset. At a certain point, one might think that SF has enough representatives, though.

I think over the years I've gotten a lot less rabid as a fan. There are definitely characters that I support getting in, and I'll be confused and surprised if they don't, but certainly nobody that I'm having unrealistic and biased expectations about. Ridley should get in. I think K.Rool will get in. Time for the important series to get their villains. Beyond that... kind of a crapshoot.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I am actually surprised about how little of "she is so hawt. mai waifu" has happened with Palutena. I don't remember any that happening in Palutena's support thread.

Although Palutena seems to have a quiet fanbase in general, which is a bit strange for a female character, especially one that is as popularly requested as she is.
Guess you haven't seen that "Palutena Hot" is the second suggested key word on Google Images.

Also... Those Pre-Brawl Gardevoir threads man...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Guess you haven't seen that "Palutena Hot" is the second suggested key word on Google Images.
I am well aware what the community outside the Smash Bros. fanbase thinks of Palutena. I was just remarking about how little I see of it within the Smash Bros. fanbase especially considering the past regarding other large female character fanbases.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh boy. How glad I was just in Africa, compiling down all the stuff I've seen in Dojo, with no interruptions or wackiness from the fanbases meanwhile. Though I was around very occassionally under the name SutafiKaabii (awkwardmemoriespleasehelpthemstop)

D

Deleted member

Why you became so bitter towards Krystal though Golden? Sure, Wolf might've been the better choice due to his seniority in the series, but Krystal fans where right to support her in the pre-Brawl days.

I supported Krystal due to Rare-bias btw. :awesome:
Because Krystal didn't really deserve anything (and still doesn't) and the fanbase always makes flawed excuses as to why she's the best for Smash.
It always comes down to things like:
"She's female; that makes her more likely/deserving!" Last I checked, having a pair of funbags doesn't make someone a better choice.
"She's got a staff; she can't be anything but unique!" Incorrect. Even with the staff, she can be a semi-clone. (And would most likely be one.)
"She's Fox's love interest, which makes her more important than anyone else after Fox by default!" I guess that means Candy Kong is the most important DK character after DK himself :rolleyes:. Aside from that, Krystal's role is relatively small in the series. She appears a damsel in distress in one game, is just...."there" in another, and is a major source of drama in the next.
But the main thing that gets me is when they say that she should replace Falco and/or Wolf for the above reasons.

I've gotten more to a case of indifference with Krystal. I don't really like her, but I don't hate her as much anymore because the fanbase has been less aggravating. And I figure, if she does get in Smash, I get my first deliberate punching bag.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Although it would be nice to get more third parties, as long as Sonic returns and Megaman makes the cut, I will be happy in that category to be honest. Would like Pac-Man as a bonus. I really do not care about the rest of the newcomers as long as the Vets return. Mewtwo returning would be nice as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What Swamp and Chrono said.

Also, I never played Assault, but what was Krystal's role in that game?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Same as the other characters. She's Falco plus love interest in that game. They go back to Saurai at one point to see it destroyed.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wouldn't mind Doc if they'd semiclone him up... I mean, I still think he's just semi-better Mario in Melee.

On the other hand, I wouldn't really find it most fun idea of seeing 3 versions of Mario fighting against each other (or 4 if you count Luigi :troll:)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I want Dr. Mario to return but to be honest had he already not been in Smash like Roy, I would not be so high on him. He was fun and played different from Mario even though they had almost the exact same moveset.

D

Deleted member

At least Shadow was a great character at some point in his series (Before Sega wh-ored him out). Krystal has yet to be even a decent one. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, sure, I defend them, but I'm not delusional about how deserving or likely they are like most Krystal fans (including you, Shortie, thanks for proving my point about the how aggravating the fanbase can be). They are just characters I happen to support for various reasons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really don't see why we should have Dr.Mario if Paper Mario is so much more unique. Sure, they can semi-clone Dr.Mario, but that'd be the best case scenario for him. While being a semi-clone is THE WORST case scenario for Paper Mario. :rolleyes:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Shadow the Hedgehog was the second game he was ever in lol so he wasn't a great character for long. I was never a fan of Shadow but I don't really hate him either like other people do. I am very lukewarm towards him.

I really don't see why we should have Dr.Mario if Paper Mario is so much more unique. Sure, they can semi-clone Dr.Mario, but that'd be the best case scenario for him. While being a semi-clone is THE WORST case scenario for Paper Mario. :rolleyes:
Actually I would take Paper Mario over Dr. Mario based on moveset. Paper Mario could have a very fun moveset.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shadow would really make me consider boycotting this Smash. He's easily the worst addition I can think of. I'm more open to Goku, Naruto and Mickey Mouse than him...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, I don't have a definitive answer to that, but there is the possibility that the majority of people that support Palutena are doing it for the character and not the boobs. Can't really think of any other reason, aside from maybe a joke about "thou must not taint the pureness of the goddess" or something.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I can see why since several Sonictards consider Shadow the Emohog the most overrated side character in the Sonic franchise along with "It's no use!" Silver. :troll:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I wouldn't mind Dr. Mario returning. Though, I'd prefer it if he'll be heavily luigified. Maybe something like Lucas/Wolf or revamped. Either way, I do believe that Doc has great potential for a fun moveset. And whether X character is unique or not is highly subjective between different people. I'm probably in the minority, but between Doc and Paper Mario's potential, Dr. Mario intrigues me more.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Habanero: Yeah. I dunno but sex appeal as a part of a character can either make or most of the time, break a character for me. In any case, it's never very great direction of a character design. Pretty I like Lyn just for her character and fighting style.

(I mean yeah, it's some nice bonus she can be hot while killing her enemies, but hey, that's same as saying as Colette Brunel's so adorably pretty while killing her opponents with her broken powers.)

D

Deleted member

Shadow the Hedgehog was the second game he was ever in lol so he wasn't a great character for long.
Not only irrelevant to the point I was making, but incorrect.
Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle came before Shadow's game. He was a good character in Sonic Battle, but Sonic Heroes is when he started to decline with the whole amnesia asspull at bringing him back. At he very least, he started to get better since ironically Sonic 06, but the irreversible damage had already been done, especially when said game had Shadow (and Silver) more prominent to the plot than Sonic, the frigging TITLE CHARACTER and ended up sucking horribly due to Sega rushing it out.

Despite being a Shadow fan, I feel it would have been better off had he stayed dead after Sonic Adventure 2, and made non-canon multiplayer mode appearances in games (like how Metal Sonic did in SA2) or appearances in non-canon games themselves (like Sonic Battle should have been).

D

Deleted member

That's because I haven't hit up the Palutena thread. Thanks for reminding me. HUEHUEHUE

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They could show the title at the very least so we can get that out of the way. But nah, I don't really expect to see anything smash related before E3. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we did though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think I'd kill the waiting for SSB4 to me a bit if they announce things tomorrow. Keep that promise of making it worth the wait Sakurai, by making us wait longer and thus get a bigger lunker...

Ah well. (-l.l-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom