• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Funny enough, this will be the 5th game that exact Link has been in a game. (4th, if you count the Oracle games as 1 game).
-A Link to the Past
-Link's Awakening
-Oracle of Ages
-Oracle of Seasons
-Zelda 3DS

And I'm not talking design; it's actually the same Link.

EDIT: At this point, this Link may as well be THE Link, being used in the most games.
You'd think he deserves to be playable in smash after 5 games by now....I don't mind, since he's my favourite Link.

Oh and fix'd. ;)

D

Deleted member

Ah dammit, I mixed "Oracle of Ages" with "Ocarina of Time".

Now it is "Oracle of Time". Enjoy this new hybrid Zelda game. :troll:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
He better have a Deku Leaf and Skull Hammer.
In the Direct video Link was using a big hammer to solve puzzles involving buttons. The hammer could be great as a new forward Smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think we will know what design "normal" Link uses less than two months from now since Link will certainly be among the first veterans confirmed at the unveil. I am guessing it will either be his Skyward Sword design or an entirely new design.

If this Link comes in, I could see him being in as "Young Link" and having Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask Young Link as an alternate costume of his. However, listening to the trailer, I am not sure, but this A Link To the Past 2 Link seems to have the same voice as Wind Waker Link, though I am not sure.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
They better not recycle WW-Link's voice on him. LTTP has nothing to do with WW anyway and I don't know what the fans think of hearing the same old voice put on a character they remembered being voiceless before.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They better not recycle WW-Link's voice on him. LTTP has nothing to do with WW anyway and I don't know what the fans think of hearing the same old voice put on a character they remembered being voiceless before.
A Link to the Past Link said "Shyaa!" before, so he has a voice.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Too late. A Link To The Past Link had Young Link (or Toon Link's) voice since the GBA port of A Link To The Past.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well they did put OoT Link's voice in the GBA rerelease of A Link to the Past. I guess SNES Link never really had his own voice to begin with. It would have been nice if they did though. Then again, the WW voice could just be a placeholder for now.

Ninja'd.

I honestly think he will be given a different name from OoT Young Link and WW Toon Link for smash if he was made playable. Since he's neither of these two Link's... :/

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Swampa: In the SNES-original? Don't remember that. Unless you refer at the GBA-version which has OOT Young Link's voice. (-l~i-);

Chrono: Well yeah. But I just don't wish to see that happening again... give a new voice.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
LTTP Link's spotdodge would totally be him forming into a drawing on the ground.

make it happen nintendo

D

Deleted member

So far, there have been 10 Links in the span of the series.

Link #1 is the one we know from the first two games in the series. He is known as the Hero of Hyrule.
Link #2 is the one that debuted in A Link to the Past. As stated above, he was also in Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, and is now in this upcoming 3DS title. He is known as the Hero of Legend and the Hero of the Essences of Time and Nature.
Link #3 is the one that debuted in Ocarina of Time. He also appeared in Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess (or at least his spirit, inside the Hero's Shade). He is known as the Hero of Time.
Link #4 is the one from Four Swords (no, he and the Four Sword Adventures Link are not the same). He does not have a title.
Link #5 is the one we refer to as "Toon Link". He was in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. He is known as the Hero of Winds.
Link #6 is the one from Four Sword Adventures. He is known as the Hero of Light.
Link #7 is the one from Minish Cap. He is known as the Hero of Men.
Link #8 is the one from Twilight Princess. He is known as the Hero Chosen by the Gods.
Link #9 is the one from Spirit Tracks. It is unknown if he is a descendant of "Toon Link" like how the Zelda of that game is the descendant of "Toon Zelda"/Tetra. He is known as the Royal Engineer.
Link #10 is the one from Skyward Sword. He is the first Link in the timeline, but not the first Link (The first Link is the one that served Hylia). He is known as the Chosen Hero or the Chosen Knight of the Goddess.

Crazy, huh?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wanna play that Skyward Sword prolgue as Goddess serving Link. There was supposedly this huge war going on. So that would be quite interessting. Also: Impa :awesome:

New titles look fun, but am very dissapointed with no Diddy mode in Returns 3DS. :/

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wonder how much content from these and the games announced at E3 we can actually expect to see in Smash. Been a year in development, getting late to add anything meaningful, I'd imagine.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wonder how much content from these and the games announced at E3 we can actually expect to see in Smash. Been a year in development, getting late to add anything meaningful, I'd imagine.
The most recent game released to get a playable character was Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Lucario) which was released in September 2006 (although Lucario had his movie in July 2005). Ignoring Lucario's movie, the last "new character" on the roster was Lucas who had his game released in March 2006.

In terms of stages, the most recently released game that had an influence on stages was Twilight Princess which was released in November 2006 (Eldin Bridge), then Spear Pillar (September 2006), and then New Pork City (March 2006).

For trophies, there were trophies of those characters from Bongo Blast which was released in June 2007, and stickers for Spirit Tracks released in June/July 2007. Pretty much new content from new games had a cut-off of at least six months before the game's release.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would wager we would have at least one or two more years for smash 4 getting released after E3. So I'd say yes, there should be time to include content announced today in that game. At least things that are left as unlockable material and Sakurai probably already knew about these things beforehand. The thing is though, if it's roster related, it's probably already been finalized by now so I'm not sure if any new characters that show up or get revived now will have much of a chance of making it in as playable. Maybe as assist trophy, but not playable. That's just my views on it though.

D

Deleted member

The most recent game released to get a playable character was Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Lucario) which was released in September 2006 (although Lucario had his movie in July 2005). Ignoring Lucario's movie, the last "new character" on the roster was Lucas who had his game released in March 2006.

In terms of stages, the most recently released game that had an influence on stages was Twilight Princess which was released in November 2006 (Eldin Bridge), then Spear Pillar (September 2006), and then New Pork City (March 2006).

For trophies, there were trophies of those characters from Bongo Blast which was released in June 2007, and stickers for Spirit Tracks released in June/July 2007. Pretty much new content from new games had a cut-off of at least six months before the game's release.
It was Phantom Hourglass...

volbound1700

Smash Master
I always hoped the Twilight Princess Link would get another story. Also the Hero of Time kind of left us with a cliffhanger on his fate.

I grew up playing the original 2 for NES and I thought of a 3rd one where he is in his 30s and leads Hyrules army and Ganon returns and he has to save his family and country from Ganon. (In it he married the Zelda from AOL not the one from NES). He travels to another continent to defeat Ganon. I always figured Ganon was revived by him being cut and spilling blood during his questing in AOL.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I wonder if the new world in DKCReturns 3D will have K. Rool as the final boss in it.
Heh. I thought the same thing; wouldn't that be the dream? I doubt it though, as I think the Tikis rule Returns. For SOME reason. The Tikis are so bland and personality-less compared to the Kremlings. For shame, Retro... (I know Retro didn't design the 3DS game, so there's that...)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Huh, thanks, saved me some time on Wikipedia and Excel.

Sm4sh will have a longer development time than Brawl, so it doesn't exactly match up, but if it did then... January of this year would be match up to when Pokemon D/P was released in Brawl's time. Twilight Princess had some crazy long delays, so I don't think it's fair to include it since it had been KNOWN for a long time before it was released. D/P and Mother 3 too, but whatever. Maybe it would be better to look at when those were announced...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I always hoped the Twilight Princess Link would get another story. Also the Hero of Time kind of left us with a cliffhanger on his fate.
Twilight Princess sort of explained to what happened to him. He became the Hero's Shade who taught you all the hidden skills.

So I suppose he got lost in the Lost Woods and became a Stalfos....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link totally went to bang Zelda at the end of Twilight Princess.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Twilight Princess sort of explained to what happened to him. He became the Hero's Shade who taught you all the hidden skills.

So I suppose he got lost in the Lost Woods and became a Stalfos....
He's a ghost not a Stalfos. Sorry, it just annoys me when people thinks he's a stalfos.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm angry.

Zelda gets two games. One remake, one sequel. Mario gets a total new game as DLC, and like, **** tons of other stuff. And DK only get's... A port? With ubercasual mode nonetheless. And no frickin' Diddy Mode either.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm angry.

Zelda gets two games. One remake, one sequel. Mario gets a total new game as DLC, and like, **** tons of other stuff. And DK only get's... A port? With ubercasual mode nonetheless. And no frickin' Diddy Mode either.
Well there is a new world in it from what ive read and seen.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Diddy: Well DK-series has struggled for some while before Retro decided to take it under it's own hands. All we can wish is that they'd make a new DK-game... or Nintendo EAD.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
oh, well then you might want to brace yourself YH, because he sure sounds like toon link in the eshop trailer

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They could still change his voice though, they may be placeholders for now. I recall they did a similar thing for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were they had the voices of Ocarina of Time Young and Adult Link's. Of course this game is nearing its release according to Nintendo so it might as well be too late now for that...

D

Deleted member

It's a port, so don't get your hopes up.
The fact there is a new world to begin with raises hope. It means that there will at least be content not seen in the original Wii release.

Whether or not this means Kremlings and K. Rool for this new world as a response to the complaints about no Kremlings remains to be seen, but the possibility is still there.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Again. I hope they keep Toon Link as the child link.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That world isn't going to have a boss, K. Rool or otherwise, just based on the precedent Nintendo has set over the past few years with the NSMB games (which DKCR mimics in subtle ways, such as its map screens). It would be bloody awesome on the off chance it did happen, of course.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love that A Link to the Past finally got a sequel after 20+ years. That was my favorite 2D Zelda game of all time. Also, I am kinda glad that they finally ditched the "toon" art style in favor of "old-school" style for Zelda 3DS.

I hope this doesn't mean we get three Links in SSB4, though... Link from Skyward Sword, Toon Link from Wind Waker HD, and Young Link from Zelda 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom