• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In Brawl, only the Zelda characters had designs taken from the original games. The Star Fox trio's designs were a mix of 64 and Command designs with some original stuff thrown in. Pit had an entirely new design, later used for Uprising. Samus appears to be mostly based on her Super Metroid appearance. Ike was based on his PoR incarnation.

Link, Zelda and Ganondorf followed the exact same designs as Twilight Princess. I agree with Golden that the dev team should just make original designs for Smash, though still based on their original appearances, of course.

If Mach Rider ever made it to the roster I wonder if he would have the re-design Sakurai made for his Melee trophy.
Much like how Pit used his Melee trophy design in Brawl, right? :troll:

bobadz

Smash Ace
Hyrule Historia says:

"The pictures at the bottom right represent what Zeldafrom Twilght princess would look like if she transformed into Sheik. The were drawn for Super Smash Bros. Brawl."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Samus's design is straight out of Zero Mission.

Hence Zero Suit Samus.
The only real problem with that, is that there is zero artwork of samus in the varia suit made for zero mission.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/sheik.html

"Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her model on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game."
Hyrule Historia page 174:
Hyrule Historia said:
The pictures at the bottom right [of the page] represent what Zelda from Twilight Princess would look like if she transformed into Sheik. They were drawn for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, the Dojo statement and the Hyrule Historia statement seem to contradict each another...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A contradiction!

I wonder which one is true.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If the Hyrule Historia statement is true, I guess those who wanted Impa to replace Sheik are in trouble. (which isn't too many actually since most want either just Sheik or both in the game, so far I know that is.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Yep, Oasis is right, she's very similar to Brawl's Samus but orange.

That debunks the idea that characters are designed based on their most recent games... since the most recent Metroid game by Brawl's release was Prime 3.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If the Hyrule Historia statement is true, I guess those who wanted Impa to replace Sheik are in trouble. (which isn't too many actually since most want either just Sheik or both in the game, so far I know that is.)
B-but but but Hyrule Historia also said lot's of stuff about Impa...

Ohh damn it already. ****ing hell can't never ****ing have what the **** I want. What kind of ****ing bull**** is this ****inng **** man...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Relax. I think that Sheik being in isn't really an obstacle to Impa.

If it makes you feel any better, Impa is probably my least-not-wanted Zelda newcomer...so long as Sheik stays.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

That debunks the idea that characters are designed based on their most recent games... since the most recent Metroid game by Brawl's release was Prime 3.
She's just wearing the Gravity Suit in that artwork. The Varia Suit is exactly the same, only orange. Which she does wear in Zero Mission.

Also, Zero Mission was the most recent game when Brawl began development. Well, technically Prime 2 was, I think, but they were released the same year.

SO, FEBRUARY 2012 IS THE IMPORTANT DATE TO REMEMBER HERE.

D

Deleted member

Today is good day.

On an unrelated note, I remember someone bringing up Chrom using the Exalted Falchion as a way to make him "different".
Well, Marth can use the same sword. (Referring to the real Marth, not "Marth") So why not just have Marth use the Exalted Falchion this time around instead of adding Chrom for that?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dids, don't go down, I'm at least still here too up for Impa's inclusion over Sheik.

Well I think because Impa's not too bad, actually pretty cool.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Dids, don't go down, I'm at least still here too up for Impa's inclusion over Sheik.

Well I think because Impa's not too bad, actually pretty cool.
I'm all for Impa in Smash. Just not as a Zelda transformation / tag team. Doesn't make sense.
If people really want Sheik out (can't imagine why), so be it. But Impa deserves her space.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
She's just wearing the Gravity Suit in that artwork. The Varia Suit is exactly the same, only orange. Which she does wear in Zero Mission.

Also, Zero Mission was the most recent game when Brawl began development. Well, technically Prime 2 was, I think, but they were released the same year.

SO, FEBRUARY 2012 IS THE IMPORTANT DATE TO REMEMBER HERE.
One of her color swaps in Brawl is the Gravity Suit.

They could have just based her design on Prime 2, yet went to make a model based on her Zero Mission appearance... probably because of Zero Suit Samus's inclusion.

Also, regardless of whether the Dojo statement or Hyrule Historia statement about Sheik is the true one, nothing is stopping Sakurai from designing new Sheik and Ganondorf designs, note that.

Edit: Impa in Smash? Yes, but only if she doesn't replace Sheik. She doesn't HAVE TO replace Sheik, as she could have a different moveset with magic and shadowy powers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well that does help...

Gotta accept Sheik returning then. This time for real.

Ah well, let's see if they can properly balance them this time.

lol

D

Deleted member

This kind of makes me wonder why Kirby never shows a serious expression with some of his attacks after the first Super Smash Bros..

Probably because Sakurai doesn't like "angry Kirby", which I think he has mentioned at some point (I don't remember).
Why it was used in the original 64 Smash then, beats me.
Though notably, Dedede doesn't really show any angry face other than that brief cutscene in the SSE when Kirby frees the two fighters he's snagged that I know of.
Any "angry" eyes I've seen outside of that in Brawl is alongside a snide smirk.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well that does help...

Gotta accept Sheik returning then. This time for real.

Ah well, let's see if they can properly balance them this time.

lol
If balance is the issue, probably we'd see 10 characters from Brawl returning.

I just realized every Zelda character in Brawl except Toon freaking sucks. Like, sucks BAAAD.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
And I still think Toon was just better Link. (-l^l-)

I dunno but like, Zelda-cast needs to improve. PM at least made them more formidable and fun to use.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Im actually hoping they give marth either his shadow dragon look, or the look he had in the DS game after. Liked the design and the look of his falchion in those more, and although it might not mean anything it was the design they used in the trailer for Fire Emblem x Shin megami.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fire & Ice Arrows.
The actualy damn Hurricane Spin
Link having Skyward Strike instead of that hideous abomination calling itself the Gale Boomerang
Bombz bein bombz

That'd already be a good headstart. :toonlink:

Am replaying Wind Waker as we speak actually. The dungeons are a joke, but I love the game nonetheless.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Fire & Ice Arrows.
The actualy damn Hurricane Spin
Link having Skyward Strike instead of that hideous abomination calling itself the Gale Boomerang
Bombz bein bombz

That'd already be a good headstart. :toonlink:

Am replaying Wind Waker as we speak actually. The dungeons are a joke, but I love the game nonetheless.
That reminds me, I should continue mine... was left at the Earth Temple with Medli.

Also I've been playing DKCR while waiting FE Awakening... and now I think I know who's the real leader behind Tiki Taks.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Probably because Sakurai doesn't like "angry Kirby", which I think he has mentioned at some point (I don't remember).
Why it was used in the original 64 Smash then, beats me.
Though notably, Dedede doesn't really show any angry face other than that brief cutscene in the SSE when Kirby frees the two fighters he's snagged that I know of.
Any "angry" eyes I've seen outside of that in Brawl is alongside a snide smirk.
But still, Kirby shows a serious expression in his mainstream and spin-off titles, so I can't see why that can't be done in the Super Smash Bros. series as well. After all, it did seem quite strange for Kirby to act like he's oblivious to his surroundings in the Subspace Emissary; he left Peach/Zelda behind without even noticing Bowser's presence.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That reminds me, I should continue mine... was left at the Earth Temple with Medli.

Also I've been playing DKCR while waiting FE Awakening... and now I think I know who's the real leader behind Tiki Taks.

I remember the Earth Temple being much harder than it actually is. I had harder time with the Wind Temple this time. Oh and either DKCR or Skyward Sword is gonna be the next game I'm gonna play probably. :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
M&S Guy: Yeah... I mean, Kirby's pretty simple person, but I don't think he's a "obliviously doofus" like SSE made him to be. At least he should have gone on helping the princesses.

D

Deleted member

But still, Kirby shows a serious expression in his mainstream and spin-off titles, so I can't see why that can't be done in the Super Smash Bros. series as well. After all, it did seem quite strange for Kirby to be oblivious to his surroundings in the Subspace Emissary; he left Peach/Zelda behind without even noticing Bowser's presence.
The way Kirby acts in SSE is exactly how Sakurai made him. Kirby's been an oblivious fellow ever since Kirby's Adventure.

EDIT: You guys seriously undermine Kirby's obliviousness. Many of the problems in his own games are his own fault.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
He's oblivious to all of what is happening around him because he's suppose to be an innocent character.
(Which is ironic, considering what he's fought in the past). But the fact that Sakurai wasn't part of the development team for games the involve the gruesome foes he's fought (Games revolving around Dark Matter) adds to the idea of him wanting Kirby to remain innocent, which could also be a reason for the lack of angry eyes.

He's just having fun and going with the flow.

EDIT: Dagnabbit GY, stop ninjaing me and go finish that speculation list

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
"Thunk you! RAR! Thunk you!"
Couldn't get the thought of K. Rool dropping an f-bomb out of my head every time I heard that line...

As kinda pointed out though, only reason Prime 3 content wasn't included in Brawl was because Brawl was already in development or near-finished by the time that game came out.

One of her color swaps in Brawl is the Gravity Suit.

They could have just based her design on Prime 2, yet went to make a model based on her Zero Mission appearance... probably because of Zero Suit Samus's inclusion.
The Prime series' lack of popularity in Japan was also probably a contributing factor, though they at least gave a palette swap of Prime 2's Dark Suit.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yuui: Not that all oblivious. Went on a journey to get back dreams. Went on a journey to get his cake back. Uh, there's more to count. I think you mean that he's not bright enough to see the real schemes behind those plans, but I don't think that's what I'm directing at when referring to Kirby's obliviousness.

I mean, he's not that simple-minded to forget about princesses all of a sudden as SSE seemed to imply.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The SSE was a jumbled up mess when it comes to the storyline.
I think only Dedede's personality was portrayed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom