• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No one is a shoe-in. There may be characters that are likely, but nobody is 100% guaranteed. All we can do is wait until judgement day comes to gather all the information.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I made this yesterday but forgot to post here.
What do you think?

[collapse=Prediction Roster]

[/collapse]
Not fond of cutting Jiggly, Snake and replacing Red with a Johto Trainer. And I'd replace Muddy Mole with Isaac. Rest of the roster is good.
I'll give it 7/10.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So yeah, basically they're all shoe-ins.
No. Because Ridley, Little Mac and King K. Rool have very real negatives going against them that could (though unlikely) keep them from being playable. The other four don't.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the only ones who can be universally agreed upon as shoe-ins are the original 12 except Jigglypuff, since I've seen a fair bit of arguments against her (low priority for Brawl and a few wanting her to be cut).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No. Because Ridley, Little Mac and King K. Rool have very real negatives going against them that could (though unlikely) keep them from being playable. The other four don't.
Every character has something. It's just really how much does it actually matter.

Take King K Rool. I'm guessing you're refering to the fact he hasn't been around in a while. But since when has that actually hurt a character. In fact we tend to give them more prestige when they've been around longer. Feel free to be more specific with your reasoning though.

Not sure why everyone is against the shoe-in thing. I figure it's that no one wants to look the fool if they are wrong.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just because a character is in a game doesn't mean people like them. See Tingle.

The point I'm making is that people keep saying "Waluigi wont be in because he is unimportant." Why is he unimportant? "Because he wasn't in the main game of course." But why do those games count and other don't? There is no reason.

What matters is people like Waluigi and it has shown. Sakurai adds characters people will find interesting and they find Waluigi interesting. There isn't much to say beyond that.
Why do those games count and the others don't? Because the games that count are the ones made by Nintendo EAD. Notice that most of the playable Nintendo characters in Smash are from first-party Nintendo games, not from second-party Nintendo games (except Pokemon).

Nintendo EAD
  • Super Mario Bros. series
  • Super Mario World 1+2
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • New Super Mario Bros. series
  • Super Mario Galaxy series
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Mario Kart games (except Super Circuit and Arcade GP games)
  • Yoshi's Story
  • The Legend of Zelda series (except Tingle games)
  • Star Fox and Star Fox 64
  • F-Zero and F-Zero X
  • Pikmin series
Remember how Sakurai only counted Animal Crossing and Pikmin as the only new franchises worthy of having characters in Brawl? Well, it turns out that those two along with Nintendogs, Big Brain Academy, and Wii Sports are the only new franchises created by Nintendo EAD between Melee and Brawl. As for the retro franchises, Nazo no Murasame Jou (Tamakaru's game) and Mole Mania (Muddy Mole's game) were made by Nintendo EAD. That's pretty much it.

Nintendo R&D1
  • Donkey Kong arcade games
  • Dr. Mario
  • Game & Watch games
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus games (except Uprising)
  • Metroid games (except Prime trilogy and Other M)
  • R.O.B. games
  • Super Mario Land 1+2
  • Wario Land series (except Wario World, Master of Disguise, and Shake It)
Remember how Sakurai considered Balloon Fighter, Bubbles, Excitebiker, and Urban Champion before he picked Ice Climbers for Melee? Well, it turns out that Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, and Urban Champion are NES games developed by R&D1. Other games developed by R&D1 are Devil World, Duck Hunt :troll:, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Gumshoe, Hogan's Alley, Sheriff :glare:, Wario's Woods :awesome:, Wild Gunman, and Wrecking Crew.

HAL Laboratory
  • Kirby series
  • Mother series
  • Super Smash Bros. series
Kirby was pretty popular in the 1990's so it was not a surprise that Kirby showed up in Smash 64. Since Smash games were made by HAL Laboratory, it explains why Ness unexpectedly showed up in Smash 64 despite his obscurity at the time. Oh, and the SNES version of SimCity was developed by HAL Laboratory so it would explain Dr. Wright's appearance in Brawl.

Intelligent Systems
  • Fire Emblem series
This is a no-brainer... but other noteworthy franchises developed by Intelligent Systems are BattleClash/Metal Combat, Nintendo Wars, Paper Mario, Panel de Pon, Pushmo/Crashmo, and WarioWare. So this means that characters like ST Falcon, Andy, Paper Mario, Lip, and Mallo might have a chance.

Game Freak
  • Pokemon main games
Also a no-brainer... however, Pokemon is the only second-party franchise to get characters in Smash games. This can be explained by how Pokemon is a cash cow for Nintendo, unlike other second-party franchises such as Golden Sun, Legendary Starfy, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo, Drill Dozer, etc.

Donkey Kong series is somewhat of an anomaly. Donkey Kong Country games were made by Rare, a second-party team at the time before they were bought by Microsoft. Another second-party team, Paon, made Donkey Kong spin-off games like DK: King of Swing and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. Nintendo EAD made Donkey Kong Jungle Beat while Nintendo Software Technology (also first-party) made Mario vs. Donkey Kong games. So, Dixie Kong and/or King K. Rool could be in SSB4 or they might not.. it's a 50/50 chance.

Nearly all of Mario spin-off games where Waluigi show up in are made by second-party teams or even third-party teams. This does not bode well for Waluigi when there are prominent first-party Mario characters like Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and even Rosalina (both of her spin-off appearances are in Mario Kart games) for Sakurai to choose. If Sakurai doesn't choose second-party Nintendo characters (except Pokemon) over first-party Nintendo characters, why would he suddenly choose second-party Mario characters over first-party Mario characters?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You could probably say that Mewtwo doesn't have much of a negative at all at this point, but to say those other three don't when saying Ridley, Rool, and Mac do is a bit silly. They all have negatives to their name. You're also putting the more popular ones below the others???

WHATEVER. It's not like you're saying they're bad choices or anything.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Do they, though? Why are the negatives that (I assume) are being held against those three more real than those that I can say exist against the other four? We have no history of size or "relevance" keeping characters from a Smash game, for example, but Sakurai specifically said he kept his own creation (Meta Knight) out of Melee because of wanting to put other characters before his own (and considering he designed modern Palutena and the new game that made her a possibility for Smash in the first place, saying he has free reign with the franchise because he didn't invent it is a bit of a cop-out).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Nearly all of Mario spin-off games where Waluigi show up in are made by second-party teams or even third-party teams. This does not bode well for Waluigi when there are prominent first-party Mario characters like Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and even Rosalina (both of her spin-off appearances are in Mario Kart games) for Sakurai to choose. If Sakurai doesn't choose second-party Nintendo characters (except Pokemon) over first-party Nintendo characters, why would he suddenly choose second-party Mario characters over first-party Mario characters?
That doesn't make sense. The issue with second party series was ownership. Nintendo has full claim to anything and everything Mario so there is no issue with Waluigi being in a second party developed game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Again, I ask...

If Sakurai did not add popular second-party Nintendo characters like Isaac and Saki over less popular first-party Nintendo characters like R.O.B. and Zero Suit Samus in Brawl, why would Sakurai add a popular second-party Mario character like Waluigi over less popular first-party Mario character like Toad or Bowser Jr. in SSB4?

Ownership isn't an issue if we already got third-party characters... pretty sure the rights to use them are harder to obtain than the second-party characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
We have no history of size or "relevance" keeping characters from a Smash game, for example, but Sakurai specifically said he kept his own creation (Meta Knight) out of Melee because of wanting to put other characters before his own.
Slightly correction, but Meta Knight is not the right character. It's actually King Dedede that was avoided in both Smash 64 and Melee, which is supported by interviews.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Slightly correction, but Meta Knight is not the right character. It's actually King Dedede that was avoided in both Smash 64 and Melee, which is supported by interviews.
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.p...s-Brawl-Poll&p=1502944&viewfull=1#post1502944

"Kirby is a character I designed when I was 19 years old, but I created Meta Knight when I was 22. I knew the character was popular in Japan, but last time around I held off and didn’t include him in the game. I wanted to put other people’s titles ahead of my own."

Though I would not be surprised if the same rationale carried over with Dedede, thus leaving us with two popular characters Sakurai omitted due to modesty.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was thinking, I would really like it IF we ended up getting two Fire Emblem characters that one go to Roy/Chrom, and the other to a more "interesting" Fire Emblem character.

How would your FE roster look under this criteria?

Marth
Roy
Ike
Micaiah

would be mine.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh, well I guess I'm partially wrong. King Dedede however was also avoided regardless due to the same modesty conflict. From what I've understand even Kirby was a big concern and there was some resentment to including the character in Super Smash Bros., due to bias potentially causing him to become overpowered (which is ironically true to an extent).

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
With Sakurai being so modest about the Kirby series, I think its safe to say that we wont see bandana dee in the next one. Or any new character for that matter.
I was thinking, I would really like it IF we ended up getting two Fire Emblem characters that one go to Roy/Chrom, and the other to a more "interesting" Fire Emblem character.

Marth
Roy
Ike
Micaiah

would be mine.
Marth
Ike
Chrom
Tactician

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'd wager it's less than six. The only characters that are about as likely as you can get are Mewtwo, Palutena, Takamaru and Shulk. Although this isn't the popular thing to say; Ridley, King K. Rool and Little Mac are not shoe in characters. They aren't quite in the toss up category, but they definitely are not guarantees (even Shulk is stretching it to some extent).
I would say that even Palutena, Takamaru,and Shulk also are not shoe-ins. In actuality with Smash 4 there are none. Palutena could be passed over due to Sakurai humbleness, Takamaru could be passed over for another retro revival character, and Shulk is more niche as far as an active "series" than any other character that ever got into Smash Bros.

I do think Ridley, K. Rool, Little Mac, Palutena, and Takamaru are all very likely, and I would be surprised if they did not get in, however, for Smash 4 there are no shoe-ins. Even for Mewtwo we could somehow end up with dessert pastry form Mewtwo (its still Mewtwo, but still).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I get that you're probably trying to inspire caution, but it's not really necessary. No one rational thinks a character is 100% guaranteed.

The only negative K. Rool has going for him is the possibility of Sakurai overlooking him. Relevancy is not a factor unless you consider characters like Takamaru, that Sakurai did set parameters for.

Little Mac's only negative is a lack of appeal to the Japanese fanbase, but his popularity over here is nuts. We mattered for Ike and Sonic in Brawl, and we matter now.

As for Ridley, same argument. The only difference is Sakurai may decide he couldn't work with him after all.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Marth
Roy
Ike
Micaiah

would be mine.
Hmm

Marth
Ike
Roy
Lilina
totally not biased

On a more realistic note, mine would be:

Marth
Ike
Roy
Anna (she's kinda growing on me)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Having not been around for the first half of pre-Brawl, I wonder if there were ever any legitimate shoo-ins back then. I'm sure most of the characters labeled as such ended up becoming playable, but if we, as gamers, speculated the intensive way we do now back in 2005-2006, rather than just stuff like 'he deserves to be in,' would we have found reasons to hold against those characters and consider them 'very likely but not shoo-ins' as well?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Having not been around for the first half of pre-Brawl, I wonder if there were ever any legitimate shoo-ins back then. I'm sure most of the characters labeled as such ended up becoming playable, but if we, as gamers, speculated the intensive way we do now back in 2005-2006, rather than just stuff like 'he deserves to be in,' would we have found reasons to hold against those characters and consider them 'very likely but not shoo-ins' as well?
To name a few I'm sure were viewed in that way pre-ANNOUNCEMENT, like now:

Wario
Diddy
MK
Dedede
Sonic

At a later point, Olimar *almost* had this. Same with Ike. Lucario was a toss-up. Wolf too.

(Hey look, the most popular characters of those days. (Ridley's fanbase had less exposure those days, and ZSS put some of the fire out. Also Krystal had a size able fanbase, but nowhere near above.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Marth
Roy
Ike
Micaiah

would be mine.
Four Fire Emblem characters would be awesome yeah. Am hoping for this to happen.

Ideally I'd have this:

Marth (more balanced, but still mostly the same character concept as in Brawl)
Ike (with axes for some heavy attacks, and true heavy weight character)
Lucina (faster Marth semi-clone with lances for heavier attacks)
Hector (heavy weight axe fighter with rather good jumping game similar to Ike's)

But more realistically I'd except this:

Marth
Ike
Chrom (Marth + Ike)
Roy (Luigified Marth semi-clone but with ranged fire sword)

Other choice I'd like is Lyn. And yeah, Hector is never gonna happen. But still would like the posibility. Even though Ike already fits well enough as the serie's heavy weight and potential axe user (on some moves).

I see potential in Lucina to cause she'd be quite easy to implement as a Marth semi-clone. Sorry to say, but it seems like semi-cloning is the only way I realistically see 4 Fire Emblem characters happen. Wether it be Roy, Chrom or Lucina. All these character have potential being semi-clones of either Marth or Ike. Or be a mix of both (Chrom mostly, but also Roy).

If Lyn would be a 3rd newcomer and we kept Marth and Ike, I'd be happy to cause we'd have a very unique addition. Chrom seems to most as bland, but I'd take him if it just adds a newcomer you know. He's to me more of an interessting last minute choice as say, Dr.Mario. Same with Roy. I hope that him becoming a semi-clone warrants him playable status due to him being an easier addition.

Also, remember how Sakurai said most of Brawl's development time went into the Subspace Emisarry? You know, if he'd skip on that concept completely I think we'd have a much better game. With a bigger cast and more balance. So I see them adding semi-clones much easier this time, while Luigiftying current semi-clones further (like Ganondorf, Toon Link and Lucas).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Wario
Diddy
MK
Dedede
Sonic

At a later point, Olimar *almost* had this. Same with Ike. Lucario was a toss-up. Wolf too.

(Hey look, the most popular characters of those days. (Ridley's fanbase had less exposure those days, and ZSS put some of the fire out. Also Krystal had a size able fanbase, but nowhere near above.)
There was a lot of fighting about Sonic and Ike (the pre-Brawl FE scene was much worse than it is now). For Sonic although he was definitely the most wanted character, he received a lot of hate due to the quality of his most recent releases at the time and for his neurotic and creepy fanbase. There was also people attacking Sonic for (all he can do is roll into a ball).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
There was a lot of fighting about Sonic and Ike (the pre-Brawl FE scene was much worse than it is now). For Sonic although he was definitely the most wanted character, he received a lot of hate due to the quality of his most recent releases at the time and for his neurotic and creepy fanbase. There was also people attacking Sonic for (all he can do is roll into a ball).
Hah! Those Sonic arguments are as silly as arguments against Mac today. (All he can do is punch). Oh, and additionally, Diddy had the same negatives against him that K. Rool has today (Irrelevant, clone of Donkey Kong (In K. Rool case it's often Bowser, but for both that's stupid people being stupid.)

Today's popular characters seem to me just like Brawl's. be cautious, but optimistic, friends. There's light at the end of those tunnels, I can feel it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Today's popular characters seem to me just like Brawl's.
Except for the fact that it's a lot more quiet these days and that there is less to talk about. The only ones that have extensive support are Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Mega Man. Everything else is more modest, though how modest varies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh, and additionally, Diddy had the same negatives against him that K. Rool has today (Irrelevant, clone of Donkey Kong (In K. Rool case it's often Bowser, but for both that's stupid people being stupid.)
Not really, I don't remember much naysayers against Diddy Kong. I remember some people saying that King Dedede would not be in due to Sakurai talking about how humble he was about including Kirby characters for Melee, and that adding two newcomers would be "too much".

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Wario
Diddy
MK
Dedede
Sonic

What I'm getting at is that it's easy to look back and say that definite shoo-ins existed for Brawl because that's what speculation led us to believe at the time. No one really argued over the impact of Sonic's popularity being largely confined to the U.S., or Diddy not being in Jungle Beat and Nintendo Tokyo deeming him "not fresh"; because it was all just "It's Sonic's turn to show up as a third party" and "Diddy has so much moveset potential," these characters' shoo-in status was never questioned.

Whereas now, we've created reasons that every character ever could potentially not be playable, to the point where we consider no one a lock. As intelligent speculators who learned from Brawl, we're able to determine these reasons, but in retrospect, to say any past newcomers were ever shoo-ins over present ones is to either overrate the former or underrate the latter.

tl;dr these newcomers are no different than Brawl's, we're just viewing them differently.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Guess I'll throw out a topic here.

I have wanted to make a good prediction roster, but I feel it's really hard to pin down characters this time around. I look at someone and I say "Nah, not good enough." But the problem is that everyone is not good enough. There are 6 characters that I feels are shoe ins
  1. Little Mac
  2. Takamaru
  3. Shulk
  4. Palutena
  5. King K Rool
  6. Ridley
To close, I want to get the opinions of the peanut gallery: Who do you all think has a good chance outside of the six mentioned above?
I think all six have GOOD chances, I suppose. I have the hardest time considering Ridley a shoe-in out of all of them though. He's got too many strikes so far for me to necessarily consider him a shoe-in. Likely? Sure. K. Rool kinda has Dixie to worry about, IMO so I wouldn't consider him TOO MUCH of a shoe-in. I would say Little Mac and Shulk are probably the top two candidates for the smaller franchise characters, so they have a good chance. Takamaru is unrivaled in the retro department. Nuff said. Palutena showed up bunches in Brawl, and with Sakurai developing Kid Icarus Uprising, I can see her or Medusa popping up on the roster.

So, Palutena, Shulk, Little Mac, Takamaru, IMO are the four most likely.

Outside of these guys, it really is a toss up. Anything could go. Here are some other characters I have looked at.
  • Dixie Kong - She's a pretty popular choice worldwide and was suppose to be in Brawl
  • Samurai Goroh - I think there is demand for more F-Zero characters and this is a pretty well known character overall
  • Ghirahim - He popular. Unlike Brawl, everyone seems more unified on a Zelda character/ I think Sakurai also doesn't mind having another as he did plan for Toon Zelda
  • Mario Mario - Either Waluigi or Doc. I figure Sakurai tries to keep Mario, Pokemon and Zelda together. I can go more into this if anyone wants.
  • Another Kid Icarus character - Every game has had two series that got two new characters (for Brawl, it was Kirby and Pokemon). With a new title and a ton of characters, it wouldn't be surprising if there was one more. Medusa is one though. I've even entertained Magnus since he was playable
  • Retro character - Every Smash Brothers game has had a classic character. Melee was Game and Watch. Bralw was ROB. There will likely be one more. I've said Sheriff since he was Nintendo first arcade game back in the 1979. It's been referenced in other Nintendo games.
  • Karate Joe - I always said this because I figure Rhythm Heaven will get something. It gets ignored more in the west. It's bigger in Japan.
  • Dillon - Not very confident in him, but he has some reason. People seem generally receptive to him. He is a new characters from Nintendo and had two games. Plus he would be the first eShop character.
On Samurai Goroh/F-Zero in general, I would see a new character being added solely from Sakurai's point of view. On the western front F-Zero characters are frankly, some of the lesser wanted characters. I don't consider their fan-demand to be booming. Is enough there to notice? I suppose. But I don't see fan-demand being Goroh's biggest ally.

I would say you forgot:
Tingle - He's shown up in Smash twice, and seems to be getting bigger roles each time. He's got the moveset potential, and sort of reigns as the fourth most prominent Zelda character. (Behind Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda of course)
Isaac - Not my cup of tea, but he's a lot of people's cup of tea. And if we're gonna consider Little Mac and Shulk, might as well bring up him.
Krystal - Got everything a character needs, just a matter of weather or not Sakurai cares to add her.

But hey, what do I know

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Characters that we're definitely supported that got into Brawl: Pit, MetaKnight, Wario, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Ike, King Dedede, Toon Link, Wolf, Lucas, Lucario, Pokémon Trainer (Squirtle and Charizard where even supported) and Olimar.

Honestly, the only newcomers which weren't supported significantly where ; Snake, Zero Suit Samus and R.O.B. .. ohh and I guess Ivysaur.

So what Brawl definitely did right was add a lot of popular characters! And this might also be the reason why everyone is generally so opposed to cuts.

I guess the cast is also why I prefer Brawl over Melee honestly. If only slightly.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Except for the fact that it's a lot more quiet these days and that there is less to talk about. The only ones that have extensive support are Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Mega Man. Everything else is more modest, though how modest varies.
You forgot WAAAA. :troll:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It just sort of shows how we're approaching the bottom of the barrel in terms of All-Stars, and that the fanbase has matured to the point where can agree on the most likely remaining candidates even if we don't care for one or two of them. I still remember those Fire Emblem debates. Yeesh.

They're just like the ones we have today :troll:

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo: Palutena seems nearly unanimous; she may be lower on the US list but she's still UP there, and she places around with K. Rool on Japanese lists right? (Which is much higher than here)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You forgot WAAAA. :troll:
tumblr_mh7ecjOaXO1qd09iko1_r1_250.png

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo: Palutena seems nearly unanimous; she may be lower on the US list but she's still UP there, and she places around with K. Rool on Japanese lists right? (Which is much higher than here)
Well Palutena is pretty high up there (higher in Japan but still fairly high everywhere), which is mainly contributed to her portrayal in Kid Icarus: Uprising fleshing her out and disproving any concerns. One thing to keep in mind that it's being consistent even after a whole year since the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising. So it's more then simply a petty bandwagon.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace

After some more refining, I feel my roster is now at a state of it not needing to be messed with untill E3 comes around. The only things I'm iffy about is the fact that I'll probably keep switching between Crom, Roy and Ike as far as FE spots go, as well as their potential designs. Also kinda curious to see if any other project rainfall characters are viable, as Aeron from Pandora's Tower sounds awesome.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
^ No Lucario, no like. Oh, and Sheik. Aside from that, I'm cool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom