• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Roy = Marth Clone
Chrom = Ike Clone
Lucina = Girl Marth Clone

Really, take your pick? They're all cloney as hell IMO. Not that I mind clones, or who we get for Fire Emblem. Personally would rather see Caeda, Micaiah, Eirika, or Lyn.
Lyn = Meta Knight/Toon Link Clone
Micaiah = Zelda Clone
Erika = Marth Clone
Caeda = Too unimportant and old to get in
:troll:

How could Chrom ever be a clone of Ike? That makes absolute zero sense to me.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Guys I understand being safe and all... But do you really think it's more realistic that we'll have Marth, Ike and Roy as the FE rep instead of a new character (mostly likely Chrom or Lucina) from Awakening? Now that seems simply Melee fanboysm what I see...
Do you really rather have a returning clone instead of a complete new character? That's boring as hell...
Chrono would have a field day with this. :laugh:

A lot of us here just found Chrom to be pretty bland, in both character and possible moveset (honestly could work as either Marth or Ike's Lucas). Roy's going to end up as a semi-clone too, so we might as well go with who's more popular and has a larger chance for a more interesting moveset (dat Flame Sword).

I'm betting on 4 FE characters now so whatever.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Can't say anything about Chrom yet, as I've only played the demo of FE:A.

In a few weeks, I might have an opinion. At last, only one week until FE:A releases here. And do I sense another FE discussion coming?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I can't wait for SSB4's final roster to be leaked so we can know who is staying and who is getting cut and who is coming. All I know is that SSB4 will generate more tears than Brawl did.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As for Chrom being bland, well how about this? Chrom instead getting the normal Falchion gets the Exalted Falchion, and gains a gimmick to heal himself slowly. Also maybe borrowing abilities from Robin and being able to use the electric based tomes in some way?

For reference of what the Exalted Falchion is:

It looks more pretty then the normal Falcion anyway...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can't wait for SSB4's final roster to be leaked so we can know who is staying and who is getting cut and who is coming. All I know is that SSB4 will generate more tears than Brawl did.
I will collect them all. :evil:

Fire Emblem having 4 reps is not a stretch for me, considering the amount of characters and settings the series has.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I will collect them all. :evil:

Fire Emblem having 4 reps is not a stretch for me, considering the amount of characters and settings the series has.
Me too. :evil:

If Fire Emblem having 4 reps is not a stretch because the series has a large amount of characters and settings, then why is Mario having 5 reps considered over-repping?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eh, I don't think it's going to generate more tears.

There are less characters overall I want, and most of them don't have great chances anyway.

There just isn't the same type of star power there was in Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Trust me when I say I'll be drinking the delicious tears once we learn about everything. It's going to be a guarantee that someone isn't going to be happy.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Me too. :evil:

If Fire Emblem having 4 reps is not a stretch because the series has a large amount of characters and settings, then why is Mario having 5 reps considered over-repping?
I'd like 5 Mario reps, actually. I'd prefer if the fifth slot was Bowser Jr., but Waluigi, Paper Mario or Dr. Mario returning would do it for me.

D

Deleted member

"You get no sympathy in a Fire Emblem discussion." Frostwraith. Just get used to it. :troll:
Isn't that the truth? Ike-Sama saw this coming from miles away.
Vintage Creep said:
To be fair I'm not a big FE fan and I don't know the saga that much, but I think that 80% of Roy's supporters simply want him because he was cool in Melee. Which is fine, but something new or original in this case would be a lot better since from what I know Roy is not that important in the FE franchise, especially now.
Sakurai does see Roy as more than just a cheap advertisement, given that he was in promote the entire Fire Emblem series and not just his one game. He was also planned for Brawl and was so until cut late in the game (probably due to time constraints) so I'd imagine that Sakurai still has interest in bringing him back.

I think both Roy and Chrom will be planned. How this will pan out is another question. We could get Roy (which I'm leaning towards), Chrom could get in, or if we're really lucky, both will make it in (hopefully not at the expense of Ike).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I want things, but don't EXPECT things. Which is pretty much how you should view this whole ordeal. To expect anything could potentially lead you to tears. So, just want.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
what I know Roy is not that important in the FE franchise, especially now.
Roy is the most important lord to the entire Elibe arc (FE6/FE7), there is a reason why he was made commander of all of the armies to Elibe (and Magvel) for the Red vs. Blue DLC arc for FE13. For comparison, Ike was the one made commander Tellius's armies (FE9/FE10). Then you also have the fact Roy is the most popular lord of the entire Elibe arc in general (and if you are going to say his Western popularity comes from Smash Bros., keep in mind he is even more popular in Japan, and has gotten first place in at least two official Fire Emblem polls in Japan, one for the most popular character within his own game, and one for the most popular character for the entire GBA FE trilogy).

I really need to think of way to make this information more well known so that I don't have to keep repeating it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Only DLC for those every dark horse character would satisfy everyone.
But that still doesn't mean all fan favourites are going to get the DLC treatment if they aren't already in the game by default. Which means still disappointed fans. c:

Isn't that the truth? Ike-Sama saw this coming from miles away.
And he sure did. :laugh:

Which is why I'm excited. There is a guarantee that someone won't be happy, and I'll enjoy their delicious sorrow.
Ah I see, guess I'll join ya then.:troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So FE should be repped by arc like pokemon is repped by gen

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What's even better about wanting, is no one can fault you for what YOU WANT, because you don't have to have any sort of "logical" reasoning. So you can support whoever you want, soley because you personally like them. Something I've always admired in Arcadenik. He never gets wrapped up too much in what to "expect".

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Which is why I'm excited. There is a guarantee that someone won't be happy, and I'll enjoy their delicious sorrow.
And with this, I nominate Habanero as Smashboards' resident sadist. :troll:

Wow, it does seem that this thread is back to what it was...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Shortie hit the nail on the head. Brawl taught a harsh lesson on the difference between wanting and expecting.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Shortie hit the nail on the head. Brawl taught a harsh lesson on the difference between wanting and expecting.
Only Snake, Zero Suit Samus, ROB, and Pokemon Trainer were surprises for Brawl's roster. Everyone else was very highly requested (the most wanted newcomer overall for their respective series). The only "surprises" was Mewtwo being cut (which would have happened if Sakurai had more time), and Ridley not making it in.

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
The latter probably has to do with Sakurai expressing concerns about adding too many Mario reps, but you are right about Mario being over represented with a fifth rep being overblown.

As we all know, Melee had five Mario characters and Brawl planned to have five as well. Had Brawl kept it's five in Brawl (and not losing Dr. Mario in the process), relative-wise, it would take up less of the roster than it did in Melee; not to mention that Zelda would still equal it (or have more with seven) and Pokémon would still have six (or rather, seven or eight).

Smash 4 will have at least forty-four characters (transformations included) and will likely end up with at least fifty. Considering this, I doubt Sakurai would see a fifth Mario rep as over-representation of the franchise in regards to characters. It's more of a matter of if Sakurai feels like giving the franchise one.

As for Fire Emblem getting a fourth rep, not expecting it. Would be great to have it, but unless DLC comes into play (and that is unlikely), we will likely only get three (but doubt just two).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't remember wolf being highly requested
Wolf prior to Brawl's unveil was more highly requested than Krystal, and after it they were even. Plus in Japan, they far more heavily favored Wolf than Krystal. Ask Starphoenix the next time he pops up.

The reason why you think Krystal was more highly requested is that her fanbase was certainly much louder than Wolf's, and then you had things like the voice actress leak and "dark Fox" which made many people think Krystal was confirmed and Wolf was de-confirmed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Only Snake, Zero Suit Samus, ROB, and Pokemon Trainer were surprises for Brawl's roster. Everyone else was very highly requested (the most wanted newcomer overall for their respective series). The only "surprises" was Mewtwo being cut (which would have happened if Sakurai had more time), and Ridley not making it in.
Well, you can blame Sonic for taking up Sakurai's time and resources that he could have used to re-add Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario. Really, it all comes down to prioritization. That's why I believe that Lucario had first priority over Mewtwo and Ike had first priority over Roy in Brawl... and why I believe Zoroark would have first priority over Lucario and Chrom would have first priority over Ike in SSB4.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well, you can blame Sonic for taking up Sakurai's time and resources that he could have used to re-add Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario. Really, it all comes down to prioritization. That's why I believe that Lucario had first priority over Mewtwo and Ike had first priority over Roy in Brawl... and why I believe Zoroark would have first priority over Lucario and Chrom would have first priority over Ike in SSB4.
I think DLC potentially negates the whole "time constriction" thing since Sakurai could eventually be able to add them into the game, even if ends up being post-release. DLC could very well end up being a safety net for Smash Bros. veterans that were bumped out due to time constraints, and potentially even involve the return of Dr. Mario and Pichu.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I think Krystal is one of the least popular Star Fox character in Japan. Wolf and Slippy are much more popular there, for example.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As long as Sakurai understands that DLC means "downloadable content", not "disc-locked content". Oooooohhhhhh!!! I can just imagine the collective Internet cries of "SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!" :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As long as Sakurai understands that DLC means "downloadable content", not "disc-locked content". Oooooohhhhhh!!! I can just imagine the collective Internet cries of "SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!" :troll:
Considering how Nintendo (and Iwata particularly) hates the idea of "disc-locked content", I doubt it will happen for Smash 4

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So much for staying entirely on the Social thread, I'm just wondering how long we'll be able to stay on topic here.
It's not surprising. No one want to go to the social thread in the first place.
As for staying off topic: eventually, we will but that is how ALL conversations happen. Discussions move. You don't stick on one topic forever especially after 2 years. Our Nanny doesn't see it that way. (I sometimes wonder how often some people on Smashboards go outside).

Also maybe borrowing abilities from Robin and being able to use the electric based tomes in some way?
Ike's Eruption is based on a magic from FE9. Could happen.

The latter probably has to do with Sakurai expressing concerns about adding too many Mario reps, but you are right about Mario being over represented with a fifth rep being overblown.

As we all know, Melee had five Mario characters and Brawl planned to have five as well. Had Brawl kept it's five in Brawl (and not losing Dr. Mario in the process), relative-wise, it would take up less of the roster than it did in Melee; not to mention that Zelda would still equal it (or have more with seven) and Pokémon would still have six (or rather, seven or eight).

Smash 4 will have at least forty-four characters (transformations included) and will likely end up with at least fifty. Considering this, I doubt Sakurai would see a fifth Mario rep as over-representation of the franchise in regards to characters. It's more of a matter of if Sakurai feels like giving the franchise one.
Mario is an interesting topic. Let me say this.

I think Sakurai does try to manage Pokemon, Mario and Zelda as these are the biggest series and have the most characters. Consider that (ignoring transformations) each of these series had 4 characters. The data on the disc shows that each one was planned to have another character: Toon Zelda, Dr. Mario and Mewtwo. So, I figure it's not unlikely that each one will have another character (most returning). What is curious is will Waluigi or Doc get in, or both. Sakurai has shown he wants Doc around. However, Waluigi is a popular character and is even recognized by Sakurai as such getting his own trophy in Melee and being an assist in Brawl. So how he plans to do it will be interesting.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Considering how Nintendo (and Iwata particularly) hates the idea of "disc-locked content", I doubt it will happen for Smash 4
If Fire Emblem Awakening and New Super Mario Bros. 2 are anything to go by... perhaps you are right. I still wouldn't hold my breath for it, though.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It would go pretty much like this:

With Dexter which finds out about it on NeoGAF and shouts SAKKKKURAAAAAAAIIII

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ike's Eruption is based on a magic from FE9. Could happen.
Which is why I proposed the idea of Chrom using electricity to begin with. Characters in Super Smash Bros. often borrow attacks from other characters, an example being Ness being able to use PK Fire and PK Thunder, which is actually learned by Paula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom