• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'd swap Ghirahim for Toon Link, Medusa for Ike, Genesect for Lucario and one of the third parties for a separate Dixie. But other than that, solid roster!

Oh and checking again, I do miss Isaac though.
I tried to make the roster a little bit different from Brawl's one since I basically accepted the fact that some cut will happen. Anyway Toon Link could be Link's alt if you ask me, Sakurai could make that work. I wanted to cut Marth to be honest, and let Ike stay. Basically I don't see Fire Emblem getting more than three reps, and I wanted another female since I love Lucina. But we can't have Lucina without Chrom imho, so he gets Ike's spot. For Genesect/Lucario: do you want the latter because of his moveset, because of him altogether or just because you don't want any cut to happen? In my vision Mewtwo is kinda similar to him, with the specials being the only difference (not all) and Genesect could offer a new interesting moveset, maybe the only pokémon with long range attacks similar to Samus.

Isaac well... There are a lot of characters I wanted to add obviously. But since a 60/70 spots roster is probably out of the realm of possibility, I had to make choices. Maybe Wolf could go for him, since StarFox doesn't really deserve the same amount of characters of Kirby. But I am a StarFox fanboy in the end, lol.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Alright. My attempt at everyone's favorite dull boxer: Little Mac.

Little Mac is a light middleweight with no projectile. However, he has the fastest standing dodge and several special tools to interrupt the enemy, get into battle, and save charged smashes for instant delivery. He is best at pressing the attack and suffers lag with his Down Smash and Back Aerial when attempting to fend off enemies. Little Mac also has an unorthodox back throw. Many of his throws allow him to play head-to-head strategy games with the enemy.

While a threat, Little Mac does not have the best jumps or fastest running speed. His forward and back rolls are of average speed and short. Little Mac's true movement strengths are his standing dodge and special dash when mixed with conventional ways of locomotion.

MOVESET
Standard Attacks

A: Punch
A, A: One, Two Punch
Toward A: Right hook, press of A results in follow-up left hook
Down A: Crouches and jabs, can be used repeatedly with press of A
Up A: Bends a knee, curves his back, looks up and does two quick circular punches as if hitting a speed bag. Can be used repeatedly with a press of A to juggle enemies
Running A: A small jolt forward with a punch. On hit, it results in a barrage of punches that sends the opponent slightly upwards. Eats through shields fast. Slight lag if misses.

Down Smash: Rotating backhand. Decent clear move, but comes with the punishment of high lag if missed

Up Smash: Big Uppercut

Forward Smash: Leaps back slightly and follows up with a strong straight punch.

Aerial Attacks

Back Air: C0cks elbow back and then spins backwards with a big punch. Slow startup

Down Air: Does an aerial roll, throwing a punch downwards during the rotation. Decent Meteor.

Up Air: Throws a straight punch upwards causing Little Mac to rise a little bit the first time he uses it

Forward Air: Throws a diagonal punch forward that hits opponents away and slightly downward

Neutral Aerial: Does a push towards closest enemy with both gloves. Causes enemy to reel backwards with arms pinwheeling. Low damage.

Specials

B Mach Jab: Throws an extremely quick punch complete with wind special effects. Has above average hit stun and could cut through projectiles.

However, it loses its potency if used often in a row. Needs a few second to recharge to full potential.

Toward B Dash (Ground): Dashes forward in direction pressed. Goes half the length of Fox Illusion. Distance gets shorter if used often in a row.

Toward B (Air): Dashes forward in direction pressed. Can be used once in air, but keeps his jumps.

Down B Psyche Up: Charges Smash attacks and Up B. Takes twice the amount of time to charge a Smash attack this way than naturally. But the charge is stored, allowing fully powered Smashes to be pulled off when inputted.

Up B Star Uppercut: A flying uppercut that takes Mac on a diagonal track. More powerful than Mario's Up B, but slower startup. If Psyche Up is charged fully, the uppercut causes a star explosion upon contact for extra knock-back.

Throws:

A: Gut Punch

Back Throw: Jumps on top of enemy and starts to punch downwards. Enemy can move at this point and must try to shake Little Mac off. Higher percentage means Little Mac can stay on longer for more beatings. Quickly mashing any button results in quicker punches.

Forward Throw: Little Mac starts to windup a fist. A press of any button will cause him to punch. Longer the windup, the further the enemy goes. However, the enemy can breakout, interrupting the punch.

Down Throw: Knock-Out! Punch to the chin causing the enemy to drop.

Up Throw: Does a squat while lifting the opponent above his head and then machines gun punches upwards sending enemy into the sky after tacking on good damage.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Could work, is not easy to make a Little Mac moveset.
I think that he should have a special ability though: when he makes a dodge, he has a one/two second charge to the damages he does in an attack. Don't you think it would be fairly logic to his character? Obviously he actually has to avoid an attack against him, he can't simply charge his attack by dodging randomly through the stage.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually it's pretty easy to make a moveset for Little Mac considering how straight forward he is. He's a boxer with an emphasis on moves based around on punching.

If you want more of a challenge, try making a move set for something like Palutena. Due to the divine powers of a goddess, there isn't just "one" possibility.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Could work, is not easy to make a Little Mac moveset.
I think that he should have a special ability though: when he makes a dodge, he has a one/two second charge to the damages he does in an attack. Don't you think it would be fairly logic to his character? Obviously he actually has to avoid an attack against him, he can't simply charge his attack by dodging randomly through the stage.
Not sure if that mechanic translates to Smash very well. Unless of course, Mac can build up star points. Still, it could be clunky.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Couldn't that Star Punch just be a wind up attack similar to DK's Gaint Punch, but weaker?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Actually it's pretty easy to make a moveset for Little Mac considering how straight forward he is. He's a boxer with an emphasis on moves based around on punching.

If you want more of a challenge, try making a move set for something like Palutena. Due to the divine powers of a goddess, there isn't just "one" possibility.
All, if not most of Palutena's moveset can be drawn from the Chaos Kin (?) Battle. The only thing that will require some thought would be her Up B. Then again Palutena was reimagined by sakurai, so he can easily make up something for smash

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not sure if that mechanic translates to Smash very well. Unless of course, Mac can build up star points. Still, it could be clunky.
I just can't see it working because it doesn't seem rewarding enough given that you have to dodge moves. Maybe a move where he psyches himself up to get star points might be a more practical means of doing that. I mean, we haven't had a character yet that can power up their attacks like that (see Tsubaki Yayoi, Shun Di, and Order Sol for examples).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Since everyone is doing rosters, I made one myself quickly.

Cuts: Sonic, Snake and Sheik (Sheik could be added back though, I just really find the image of SS Zelda and OoT Sheik extremely silly)

Characters I might possibly add: Paper Mario (would add him easier than the others), Muddy Mole, Ashley (Wario Ware), Porky, Samurai Goroh and other retros. Still, I found these characters I added where the best addtions.

Am also not too scared to cut either Chrom or Roy for Lucina.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Not everything. You got to keep in mind that a typical move set has about 23 moves consisting of standards, specials, aerials, and throws.
Specials should be a cake walk. Throws, Standard, tilts and areials will have to be done in a way that fits her playstyle. so yeah I see how they would require some work to round her out. But like I said since Sakurai had a hand in her reimagination, he should be able to know what will work and what wouldn't based off of Uprising and the Kid Icarus shorts

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think (for Little Mac) a down B move that charges and stores Smashes (along with perhaps adding a star explosion effect) would be the easiest way to implement a "Star" charge-up mechanic using the existing Smash Brothers structure of fighting.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Thread got locked. Off topic-ness now has to go in the GD Social thread.
Okay, good to know.

So... the new Mewtwo form (unless it's an evolution, pre-evolution or new pokemon entirely, all of which have been theorized even though most if not all evidence suggests it's a form).... what you think? It seems to scream Smash.

D

Deleted member

I'd like think of Mewtwo as the most likely addition, so it's one less character to worry about.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You should've woken up ages ago then. :rolleyes:

Also, why nobody comments on my roster? 1 page back, rosters where the ****. Now that I make one, everyone is skipping it.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
1 page back, rosters where the ****. Now that I make one, everyone is skipping it.
Im actually editing my roster now, but it seems like I missed the tide of rosters.

Mario series seems good, but Im still not sold on Toad.
Zelda series is great aside from Impa and no Sheik
Kirby is perfect.
Donkey Kong is pretty good, but Im not sold on Dixie either.
Wario and Yoshi are perfect (obviously)
Metroid is... perfect, aside from Anthony. Just... no. No Anthony.
Star Fox, Pokemon, F-Zero, and Retro's look perfect too.
Fire Emblem is pretty good, but, (here it comes,) I'm not sold on Roy.

So yeah. Aside from Dixie, Impa, and Anthony, I really have no problems with this roster.
9/10

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Falkoopa's analysis of Diddy's roster:
It has a questionable choice, Anthony Higgs. I'm not excited about Toon Ganon and Impa, but I don't mind them.

Don't even think of replacing Roy with Lucina.

Score: 8.5/10

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd like think of Mewtwo as the most likely addition, so it's one less character to worry about.
I am pretty sure Mewtwo will be in SSB4... but the real question is... which forme? IMO, the new forme is pretty likely. The original forme (1st gen) was in Melee but it wasn't very good... maybe the new forme (6th gen) might be the improvement Mewtwo needs.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You should've woken up ages ago then. :rolleyes:

Also, why nobody comments on my roster? 1 page back, rosters where the ****. Now that I make one, everyone is skipping it.
I'm back on the PC, so only now I saw your roster.

Overall, it's very similar to many other rosters here. It's realistic, doesn't add a lot of character, but still has worthy newcomers.
Anthony is perhaps the only stretch there and... where's Sheik? Other than those points, it's a good roster.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I guess people forgot about mine as well.
It's good overall and is very similar to most rosters here, so it's safe to assume it's a realistic one.
I have my doubts on Samurai Goroh, mostly because he would be a Takamaru clone F-Zero hasn't got a game released in 9 years. Though Nintendo Land having an attraction based on F-Zero could mean something.
Saki has potential for a unique moveset, so it's not a bad idea. I don't think he's much of a stretch.
I don't mind Lloyd at all as he can be different from most sword users, due to having two swords.
Doesn't add too much characters, which is something Sakurai hinted at, so that's one factor when making more realistic rosters.

8.5/10

By the way, I give Diddy Kong's roster a 8/10.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
lets see hiram's roster gets a 6 out of 10 ,
no ridley or palutena
bowser jr. and paper mario seems to be pushing it
impa over shiek
kumatora

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
This topic... It's alive!

Back on topic, you guys still put that random window in some rosters... I hate it, it stands out too much. I hope it's gone in the next installment, and I'm pretty sure that it was present in Brawl only because Sakurai had to fill a place meant for another character which was scrapped.
Are you kidding, the random space was the best addition to Brawl.

Seriously, it's so annoying going back to Melee and you have to go through a bunch of hoops to play a random character.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Are you kidding, the random space was the best addition to Brawl.

Seriously, it's so annoying going back to Melee and you have to go through a bunch of hoops to play a random character.
I don't get it. Hoops? Melee had a random option. But it wasn't a spot, which is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom