• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I almost always play on random and I like to have an explicit random option instead of guessing that I have to put the token in one of the corners of the roster.

It's called user friendly interface. Every software should have one.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
How is an empty spot better than a square that actually tells you that you can play as a random character from it...? :/
It's just aesthetic. In Brawl the random option was randomly in that position, imho if it must be there it should be in the center, or anyway out of the actual roster, like the Mii I put in my roster in the last page.
The random in Brawl just seem like it was meant for another character which was later scrapped, or a fill since only a spot was missing to complete the rectangle.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's just aesthetic. In Brawl the random option was randomly in that position, imho if it must be there it should be in the center, or anyway out of the actual roster, like the Mii I put in my roster in the last page.
The random in Brawl just seem like it was meant for another character which was later scrapped, or a fill since only a spot was missing to complete the rectangle.
Many games offer a random option on the corner. You are just being picky and want the random button on the center.

Why would a random option on the corner mean that there was supposed to be a character that got scrapped? What kind of logic is that?
I didn't know there was a rule that demanded video game character rosters to be perfectly rectangular... >_>

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I actually think it would look more out of place if it was right in the middle but I guess that's just me... ^^; Though maybe next time they should just put the random box as just another button on the player spot perhaps? So it doesn't take up a spot for an actual playable character?

I do agree a little with your second point though. At least knowing that Sakurai intended for more characters in Brawl but couldn't due to time...

D

Deleted member

This actually makes me interested in the concept, despite being practically impossible.

It also makes me think a modernized Captain N video game using actual depictions of the characters in question (example: the real Pit ala Uprising instead of the "Kid Icarus" depiction-icus from the show) would be pretty cool.
It could serve as something some people want Smash to be; a direct crossover of Nintendo's franchises instead of the characters being Trophy versions. (So kind of like a Nintendo version of Kingdom Hearts, but less "meh".)

Though it comes to question whether or not Mega Man and Castlevania should be included, or should they be axed in favor of more Nintendo franchises like ones that debuted after the show.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I am pretty sure Mewtwo will be in SSB4... but the real question is... which forme? IMO, the new forme is pretty likely. The original forme (1st gen) was in Melee but it wasn't very good... maybe the new forme (6th gen) might be the improvement Mewtwo needs.
I think if the only way that Newtwo will be the playable one is if it's the true form of Mewtwo. If it's just a regular transformation then expect Mewtwo to be on the roster and possibly Newtwo as a transformation/FS.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Many games offer a random option on the corner. You are just being picky and want the random button on the center.

Why would a random option on the corner mean that there was supposed to be a character that got scrapped? What kind of logic is that?
I didn't know there was a rule that demanded video game character rosters to be perfectly rectangular... >_>
I didn't say that like a fact. I said that it seemed like that to me, or that it was a filler (since Melee doesn't have one).
I would have rather seen the last row of the roster centered, similar to Melee's interface.
It's just my thing anyway, it's not like the roster looks bad because of it, you can say I'm picky.
For example Playstation All-Stars offers two random buttons on the opposite corners: that's a better solution.
Tekken Tag 2 has the random button in the center, the composition just looks better.
It's just that Brawl's random button is... random.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's my Brawl 2.0 SSB4 roster.

Newcomers
  1. Balloon Fighter - Nintendo Land, Wii U Virtual Console (1st game), 3DS Ambassadors, assuming Sakurai changes his mind about Balloon Fighter, if Sakurai justified not adding Balloon Fighter in Melee with the "useless without balloons" excuse then why add Olimar in Brawl if he's useless without Pikmin?
  2. Chrom - Fire Emblem Awakening, could work as a combination of Melee Roy and Brawl Ike
  3. Dixie & Kiddy - scrapped Kong tag team idea from Brawl revived, based on DKC3 instead of DKC2 this time
  4. Duck Hunt Dog - for the lulz, potential unique gameplay experience
  5. Impa - Skyward Sword, Sheik's spiritual successor, not Zelda's transformation but her tag team partner a la Street Fighter X Tekken
  6. King K. Rool - high fan demand
  7. Little Mac - Punch-Out!! (Wii), Wii U Virtual Console, 3DS Virtual Console (1st non-Ambassador NES game), high fan demand
  8. Mega Man - high fan demand
  9. Mewtwo's new forme - Pokemon X & Y, high fan demand (as Mewtwo), Mewtwo's spiritual successor *Sakurai laughs at butthurt rage of nostalgic fanboys*
  10. Mii - Nintendo Land, StreetPass Mii Plaza, etc., could work as custom characters if Sakurai goes there
  11. Pac-Man - Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, might be added since Namco is working on SSB4 and he's the mascot of Namco
  12. Palutena - Kid Icarus Uprising, high fan demand
  13. Pokemon Trainer Gold - Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver, replaces Red & 1st gen starters with Gold & 2nd gen starters (3 new movesets)
  14. Ridley - Metroid Other M, high fan demand *Sakurai laughs at butthurt cries over the Other M version*
  15. Shulk - Xenoblade Chronicles
  16. Takamaru - Nintendo Land, Samurai Warriors 3 (playable guest)
  17. Toad - New Super Mario Bros. Wii + New Super Mario Bros. U
  18. Toon Ganondorf - Wind Waker HD, Ganondorf's days as a Captain Falcon clone are over, why add Lloyd Irving and his dual swords when we can simply make Ganondorf use dual swords instead?
  19. Toon Zelda / Tetra - Wind Waker HD, scrapped Toon Zelda + Toon Sheik idea from Brawl revived
  20. Villager - Animal Crossing New Leaf + City Folk, assuming Sakurai changes his mind about Animal Crossing characters, if Sakurai had to tone down Snake's M-rated violence to make him fit in Smash, then why not exaggerate or intensify Villager's EC-rated activities to make him/her fit in Smash?
  21. Waddle Dee - Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  22. Zoroark - Pokemon Black & White
I wish I could add more characters I want like Meowth, Starfy, Tingle, King Hippo, Medusa, Isaac or Matthew, Saki or Isa, Magnus, Donkey Kong Jr., Simon Belmont, etc. but it would have required me to cut characters who don't even have spiritual successors in their own series.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I didn't say that like a fact. I said that it seemed like that to me, or that it was a filler (since Melee doesn't have one).
I would have rather seen the last row of the roster centered, similar to Melee's interface.
It's just my thing anyway, it's not like the roster looks bad because of it, you can say I'm picky.
For example Playstation All-Stars offers two random buttons on the opposite corners: that's a better solution.
It's just that Brawl's random button is... random.
Melee not having one and forcing players to guess how to play as a random character is bad user interface.

Super Street Fighter IV also has 35 slots for playable character and guess where is the random button? Yep, in the same corner as Brawl's!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Have I posted my roster yet?

You folks wanna see it?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Because picking a random character by hand manually is so brutally hard...
The stage selection has a random button, why wouldn't the character select have one?

Once again I say, it's a matter of having user friendly interface. It's basic knowledge among programmers.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Melee not having one and forcing players to guess how to play as a random character is bad user interface.

Super Street Fighter IV also has 35 slots for playable character and guess where is the random button? Yep, in the same corner as Brawl's!
Well I havent's played Street Fighter, I guess its random button was in a bad position too /troll.
And to be honest, some people might say that Smash Bros' selection is bad interface, since everytime you have to pick up the coin and move your hand on the character you want. Believe me some n00bs had a problem with that when I first showed them the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to you also.

For example in Mortal Kombat you pick the random character by pressing a different button (I believe square on the PS3).

Just sayin' anyway, don't believe that for me it's that big of a deal, I would simply rather see it go.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well here's my roster!

What do you think?
Brawl_Roster.png

Jr. can be replaced with another Mario newcomer of your choice.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well here's my roster!

What do you think?
View attachment 286
Jr. can be replaced with another Mario newcomer of your choice.
Barring the third parties, it's almost the same as mine. :laugh:

It's probably one of the most realistic rosters out there. Has pretty much all popularly requested characters, including Ridley, K. Rool, Roy, Mewtwo, Palutena and Mega Man. It's one of the "safest" rosters I've seen.

9/10

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Swampasaur
A pretty good roster. No cuts, a decent size (50), and all popularly demanded characters included. I give it 9/10.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh yeah, new Mewtwo was confirmed to be a form last night. Wooooo. I guess he's in for sure now.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well for being safe it is safe, maybe too much safe... Except Isaac not a single character there would make me surprised.
I think that Sakurai would go to something more unexpected. Hell I hope he does.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just worried that there is no "OMG I TOTALLY DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING" characters in there.

Ghirahim or Impa could do that. I feel that Zelda should have another character.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
@Swampasaur

That's EXACTLY like mine, bar Roy and Bowser Jr. It's really safe, no cuts, high demand characters. I love it. ( I dont support Roy and Bowser Jr, but I couldn't care less if they got in)

10/10

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The reason Game & Wario bombed (along with Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U) is that no one is buying the Wii U. No hardware base = crap software sales

The Wii U is tracking for GameCube hardware numbers, with much more abysmal software sales.
It's the other way around, actually. Software drives the install base. Nintendo's job is to provide the software to make you want to buy it. People don't like minigame collections which is why Nintendo Land and Game and Wario bombed. Mario Party worked because it sold itself as a board game. Warioware also did well (or, at least OK) by selling itself as a different kind of game. Wii Sports was successful because it was a sports game, not a minigame collection. Wii owners were not happy with minigame collection. So people aren't jumping on the Wii U.

It is really a problem with Nintendo as a whole. They don't understand why the Wii worked, and if they did, they don't like it. Nintendo is going the Gamecube route. The games coming out are what the developers want; not what you and I want. As a company, they have been verey bad about responding to their customers. There is high demand for Starfox, F-Zero and new IPs (including older series) because everyone is tired of Mario and Zelda.

How does this relate to smash (because everything in this topic has too because the Nanny we call a mod wants us to)? It's that Nintendo us relying on the past and not treading forward. They keep trying to do Mario and Zelda again and again. Nintendo doesn't make anything new and Iwata has especially been bad about it. You can pretty much predict what Nintendo will release now. The Wii U will get Mario kart, Smash, Animal Crossing, maybe a Metroid game, and Zelda after another 4-5 years in development. Basically, it's hard to expand Smash when Nintendo isn't going forward. All you would need is three new IPs and a Smash 5 can work very well. Nintendo wont do this because of how poorly run they are.

Since no one commented on Diddy's roster, I will.
Since everyone is doing rosters, I made one myself quickly.

Cuts: Sonic, Snake and Sheik (Sheik could be added back though, I just really find the image of SS Zelda and OoT Sheik extremely silly)

Characters I might possibly add: Paper Mario (would add him easier than the others), Muddy Mole, Ashley (Wario Ware), Porky, Samurai Goroh and other retros. Still, I found these characters I added where the best addtions.

Am also not too scared to cut either Chrom or Roy for Lucina.
  • Pretty small roster. Only 11 new characters
  • Props for Roy and Mewtwo
  • Anthony is questionable. Impa is EXTREMELY questionable
  • Beyond those guys, most of the additions are realistic.
  • No third party characters is interesting. I say good since people go very overboard in this area. Yours is realistic on this front
  • No Sheik. You maybe Impa seperate so why is Sheik not there? Why remove her, especially since she is well liked.
It's not bad. Besides the questionable choices, no Sheik and the size, it's pretty good.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So much for staying entirely on the Social thread, I'm just wondering how long we'll be able to stay on topic here.

@Swampasaur: Good roster, don't agree with everything, but oh well, it satisfies.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to what characters would constitute "wild and crazy" for you guys. Barring third parties on my roster, I feel like there is a good mix of widely known, and obscure characters.

Just wondering how to spice it up.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wouldn't be a prediction roster, so much as what I would like

Would you be okay with this?

Bottom four are costumes

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This actually makes me interested in the concept, despite being practically impossible.

It also makes me think a modernized Captain N video game using actual depictions of the characters in question (example: the real Pit ala Uprising instead of the "Kid Icarus" depiction-icus from the show) would be pretty cool.
It could serve as something some people want Smash to be; a direct crossover of Nintendo's franchises instead of the characters being Trophy versions. (So kind of like a Nintendo version of Kingdom Hearts, but less "meh".)

Though it comes to question whether or not Mega Man and Castlevania should be included, or should they be axed in favor of more Nintendo franchises like ones that debuted after the show.
Personally, I would love for Nintendo to turn Captain N into an actual game series. It doesn't have to have Mega Man and Simon Belmont (at least not at first, maybe in future sequels). Maybe Captain N's games are primarily about crossovers with Nintendo's other franchises. But what kind of game would Captain N's game be? Personally, I would like it to be a Metroidvania-type game like Wonder Boy in Monster World, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, and Ufouria: The Saga if it's a 2D sidescrolling platformer game... or a classic beat 'em up game like Final Fight or Streets of Rage, complete with several playable characters, with some platformer elements like in Double Dragon. Or a RPG similar to Dragon Quest (love the character art style) or Kingdom Hearts, minus the emo anime characters with spiky hairstyles (enough already)... And then by SSB5 or SSB6, Captain N and Princess Lana could join the Smash roster. :awesome:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
@Shortie
Eh. I'm not at all fond of Krystal, Waddle Dee, Mona, or Ghirahim, and I'm meh with Dixie. Aside from those, however, it seems pretty solid. I'd be 6/10 Happy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm curious as to what characters would constitute "wild and crazy" for you guys. Barring third parties on my roster, I feel like there is a good mix of widely known, and obscure characters.

Just wondering how to spice it up.
Wild and crazy? Replacement characters in general. They are triggers. :troll:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Guys I understand being safe and all... But do you really think it's more realistic that we'll have Marth, Ike and Roy as the FE rep instead of a new character (mostly likely Chrom or Lucina) from Awakening? Now that seems simply Melee fanboysm what I see...
Do you really rather have a returning clone instead of a complete new character? That's boring as hell...

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Guys I understand being safe and all... But do you really think it's more realistic that we'll have Marth, Ike and Roy as the FE rep instead of a new character (mostly likely Chrom or Lucina) from Awakening? Now that seems simply Melee fanboysm what I see...
Do you really rather have a returning clone instead of a complete new character? That's boring as hell...
I honestly have no idea whether it's gonna be Chrom or Roy. Lucina is, unfortunately, probably the least likely of the three.
I too cannot understand the love for Roy, but hey, what do I know?
I don't want Roy, but to say he will be a clone again is pretty... stupid. Who's to say Sakurai won't luigify him like Falco? No one really knows what's going on in that brain of his, anyway. (Sakurai Logic: :ganondorf: = :falcon: = :awesome:)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I honestly have no idea whether it's gonna be Chrom or Roy. Lucina is, unfortunately, probably the least likely of the three.
I too cannot understand the love for Roy, but hey, what do I know?
I don't want Roy, but to say he will be a clone again is pretty... stupid. Who's to say Sakurai won't luigify him like Falco? No one really knows what's going on in that brain of his, anyway. (Sakurai Logic: :ganondorf: = :falcon: = :awesome:)
Well OK we can't say, but if he's going to make a new character altogether, why choose Roy instead of Chrom, the protagonist of what I think it's the most successful FE game in the US?
I'm OK with Sakurai following fan's demands, but with common sense.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm surprised Chrono isn't huffing and puffing about this.

Well whatever happens to Fire Emblem, no matter what, will lead to tears. No use in trying to defy fate at this point.

As for Roy, I don't like him. I like the Sword of Seals because of delicious fire, but I deplore how Roy plays in both Super Smash Bros. Melee and Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. In general, no confidence whatsoever for the character.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Roy = Marth Clone
Chrom = Ike Clone
Lucina = Girl Marth Clone

Really, take your pick? They're all cloney as hell IMO. Not that I mind clones, or who we get for Fire Emblem. Personally would rather see Caeda, Micaiah, Eirika, or Lyn.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
To be fair I'm not a big FE fan and I don't know the saga that much, but I think that 80% of Roy's supporters simply want him because he was cool in Melee. Which is fine, but something new or original in this case would be a lot better since from what I know Roy is not that important in the FE franchise, especially now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom