• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, just for clarification, it seems like there are some "viable" franchises after the release of Brawl that could warrant an inclusion without complications in terms of development or publicity. Xenoblade and Dillon's Rolling Western are probably the ones that could be feasible in particular.

D

Deleted member

This is probably going to be a really dumb question, but can someone confirm whenever or not the Official Nintendo Magazine is owned at least partially by Nintendo? I doubt it, but I need to make sure.

I was debating with someone on GameFAQs in regards to Namco characters, in which he brought up a list of twelve characters (five of them third-parties (Mega Man, Pac-Man, Professor Layton, Travis Touchdown and Mr. Driller) and one rejected character (Sukapon)) which as you can tell, had a few really unrealistic characters as well as had a total of five new third-party suggestions. Somehow, this guy thinks that this is a hint of some sort that Pac-Man is going to appear in Smash Bros just because a team of editors decided on twelve characters they liked. and I am just like "wow, you're not making any sense".

D

Deleted member

And none of that actually counters Habanero's statement.
EDIT: Ninja'd.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This is probably going to be a really dumb question, but can someone confirm whenever or not the Official Nintendo Magazine is owned at least partially by Nintendo? I doubt it, but I need to make sure.

I was debating with someone on GameFAQs in regards to Namco characters, in which he brought up a list of twelve characters (five of them third-parties (Mega Man, Pac-Man, Professor Layton, Travis Touchdown and Mr. Driller) and one rejected character (Sukapon)) which as you can tell, had a few really unrealistic characters as well as had a total of five new third-party suggestions. Somehow, this guy thinks that this is a hint of some sort that Pac-Man is going to appear in Smash Bros just because a team of editors decided on twelve characters they liked. and I am just like "wow, you're not making any sense".
So far I know, ONM isn't owned by Nintendo at all. Though I'm still quite surprised on one of their wishlist's from a long while ago coming true. Like, they asked for a new Donkey Kong country game, A new Kid Icarus game, the return of Starfox, a new Golden Sun and another Mario Galaxy. All of these came true before said games were even announced a year or two later.

But no, I don't believe their actually owned by Nintendo, but they do interview the producers from time to time. So their basically like any other journalist magazine I suppose. ^^

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Pokémon will of course get at least seven characters since we were planned to get seven or eight characters in Brawl (Brawl Pokémons + Mewtwo w/ new form as Final Smash).

Zelda could get a sixth character, but I'm leaning towards not (although not ruling it out yet). I really don't see Tingle getting in, I do feel as there's a good chance that Sakurai has lost interest in a Toon Zelda-like characterr and I feel as even Ghirahim (the most likely addition) may get overlooked since Sakurai may feel as Zelda is fine with the five it has.

Mario is probably the hardest topic for me to think about. We could get a fifth one like in Melee or we could stay with the four we have. On the one hand, we know that Sakurai has planned to have five Mario characters in Brawl, so it's not like he sees five Mario characters as over doing it, but on the other hand, none of the additions are obvious addition (ones that the community generally agree on) and could easily be skipped over. Toad is an iconic character heavily integrated into the Mario series (can't really imagine the franchise without Toad) and Sakurai has mentioned his superhuman strength. However, Sakurai may see him as too peaceful to be in Smash and he's not a popular choice.

Junior has become an important part of the Mario franchise in recent years and I do expect him to remain important. He's also a popular request and could work well as a last-minute semi-clone if Sakurai needs one (although that's not to say being unique is impossible). His main issue is that he doesn't have seniority, so Sakurai may not see Junior as worthy of a spot. However, unless he disappears between Smash 4 and Smash 5, I do expect him to show up in Smash 5 if he doesn't make it in this game.

That's really all I can see at the moment. Paper Mario would be great to have as I loved the first three RPGs, but I acknowledge him as unlikely. Waluigi will probably not get in due to being unimportant (popularity alone won't get him in). Dr. Mario could happen thanks to being planned in Brawl, but I'm not counting on him either.

I'm pretty much fine with any choice from Mario, but I know I'm in the minority when I say this.
I humbly disagree.

The issue with Junior is that Nintendo likes him more than anyone else does (kind of like Tingle, but less extreme).

I also disagree with the whole "Waluigi is unimportant." On what grounds? Because he has never been in a main Mario title. I would argue it doesn't matter since a game is a game and Waluigi has appeared in a lot of them. Who is to say the sports, kart and party games over the last 10 years don't count. You can't deny he has presence. Not to mention he has fan support.

As for Zelda, he did plan another character in Toon Zelda. It's hard to say he's fine with what he has since he did plan for a new one.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
According to the official site:

Official Nintendo Magazine website said:
Nintendo Co., Ltd. is the owner of certain copyright which subsists and trade marks and other intellectual property rights in certain content, characters, artwork, logos, scripts and representations used in this publication. All rights are expressly recognised and they are used by Future Publishing Limited under licence © 2006 Nintendo Co., Ltd. All rights reserved. "Nintendo", "International Nintendo Licensed Product" "Nintendo DS", "Nintendo DS Lite", "Nintendo DSi", "Nintendo 3DS", "Nintendo DSi XL", "Nintendo 3DS XL", "Wii" and "Wii U" and the associated logos are the trademarks of Nintendo Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.

D

Deleted member

Tingle may have more of a shot than people give him.

When Brawl's characters were decided upon in July 2005, Tingle had yet to have any of his games. Sakurai would really have no reason to consider him, and by the time the first game came out, it was too late.
Now, he has 3 games under his belt (and a DSiWare app), something that no other Zelda character can claim.

D

Deleted member

According to the official site:
Thanks for clarifying.

Too bad this means every time said person brings up this article, I actually have to do some work to convince him that Pac-Man's chances and him appearing on this list is irrelevant, especially when it has characters like Travis Touchdown and Jack Cayman in it (seriously, did requests for Jack Cayman EVER come up around Madworld's release)? For now, I'm just going to stop as I don't have the motivation to argue with him anymore.

Link: http://www.officialnintendomagazine...haracters-we-want-to-see-in-the-game/?page=12

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, magazine journalists are just fans too and aren't owned by Nintendo really. At least ONM and Ngamer are, not sure about other Nintendo journalist magazine's out there, their just fans like everyone else really and have their own wishlists of who they want to see in smash. :/

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Thanks for clarifying.

Too bad this means every time said person brings up this article, I actually have to do some work to convince him that Pac-Man's chances and him appearing on this list is irrelevant, especially when it has characters like Travis Touchdown and Jack Cayman in it (seriously, did requests for Jack Cayman EVER come up around Madworld's release)? For now, I'm just going to stop as I don't have the motivation to argue with him anymore.

Link: http://www.officialnintendomagazine...haracters-we-want-to-see-in-the-game/?page=12
I'm assuming that Mr. Driller comes from Drill Dozer

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Tingle may have more of a shot than people give him.

When Brawl's characters were decided upon in July 2005, Tingle had yet to have any of his games. Sakurai would really have no reason to consider him, and by the time the first game came out, it was too late.
Now, he has 3 games under his belt (and a DSiWare app), something that no other Zelda character can claim.
Well yes, but the whether that will be enough to consider Tingle a fighter is another story. Tingle can fight just for clarification as shown in Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, but I'm not Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Well yes, but the whether that will be enough to consider Tingle a fighter is another story. Tingle can fight just for clarification as shown in Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, but I'm not Sakurai.
Well to be fair, Tingle had done more fighting than Zelda at least, even if it was slapstick cartoon violence.
I'm sure that Sakurai would not have an issue with that.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Tingle IMO is just one of the most funniest and egocentric characters Nintendo has ever created (when not being in the mainstream Zeldas). Roseful Rupeeland was full of laughs and it wasn't too bad of game either (but holy smokes, how much money it just asks.)

I really hope he makes in SSB4 this time, he'd make a great funny character akin to Luigi.

D

Deleted member

Tingle as a slapstick fighter would be funny. The sound effects when he hits people should be among the BONK sounds. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I dunno why some are so afraid of disappointment or being wrong. I guess they're just big babies.
This.

In the end, it's just a video game. Regardless of what happens, we will find one thing that disappoints us about Smash 4, even if it's not character-related. But we don't continue to rant about something that didn't happen on and on, we move on with our lives by either hoping said characters gets into the next game or due to certain circumstances (that hopefully doesn't involve X character not making it in), leave Smash. Either way, Smash 4 is going to be an enjoyable game and we'll enjoy it for the things it brings us and not look down on it for the things it didn't do.

Being realistic with expectations is one thing. But when it comes to Smash, I'm not afraid to be disappointed by character selections. I will still expect K. Rool, Mewtwo and (if we get a new third-party) Mega Man to show up, even when the possibility of disappointment is present.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Isn't this the same thing as "hoping" to see a character but not "expecting" them and if they don't show up, you're like "oh well" and move on? :/

Just so long as you don't throw a hissy fit or threaten to boycott the game or something, then it's all good. :/

D

Deleted member

Isn't this the same thing as "hoping" to see a character but not "expecting" them and if they don't show up, you're like "oh well" and move on? :/

Just so long as you don't throw a hissy fit or threaten to boycott the game or something, then it's all in good fun. :/
Somewhat, but not really.

Characters like Isaac and Roy I do hope for, but don't expect. I think they have a good chance, but if neither gets in, I won't be bothered. In comparison, King K. Rool, Mewtwo and Mega Man are additions that I do expect and feel are likely. If, let's say, Mega Man doesn't get in as the new third-party rep, heck yeah I would be heavily disappointed. But he's just a character and what I realize is that I have no direct control over his inclusion, so tantrums are not worth it. I'll still buy the game if the roster is good.

Things that will be hilarious, however, are people who threaten to boycott the game over someone they wanted that didn't get in as well as the drama of characters de-confirmation.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Basically every character I wanted in Smash Bros. already got in Brawl, so at this point I am more concerned with who stays more than who gets in. I mean half of the characters I want for Smash 4 are characters whom have already been playable (Mewtwo and Roy), and only one is a proper Nintendo newcomer (Ridley). I also would be hyped if Mega Man got in.

I still think it would be neat if K. Rool, Little Mac, Palutena, Dixie Kong, Waddle Dee, or Toad/Paper Mario/Bowser Jr. show up, though I certainly don't care about them as much as the previously mentioned four, and I would not be irked at all if they failed to make it in.
In my case, I am more concerned about being able to play as certain characters in at least one Smash game. That's all I am asking for... if they come back, yay! If they don't, oh well - at least I get to play as new characters.

For example, if Meowth is playable in SSB4, I would be very happy that I finally got to play as Meowth... and then when SSB5 comes around and Meowth is cut for another Pokemon, I would be disappointed but then I look at the bright side and say "at least I got to play as Meowth in SSB4" and I go back to play SSB4 for Meowth and other characters who are not in SSB5. I also get to play as new characters in SSB5 and become fans of some of the new characters because I liked their playstyles.

When I was trying to decide which Fatal Fury game to download from Wii Shop... I did a comparison of the rosters from Fatal Fury 3, Real Bout Fatal Fury, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, AND Real Bout Fatal Fury 2.

I noticed that Real Bout Fatal Fury had the same roster from Fatal Fury 3 plus some new characters.
I noticed that Real Bout Fatal Fury Special had the same roster from Real Bout Fatal Fury plus some new characters.
I noticed that Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 had the same roster from Real Bout Fatal Fury Special plus some new characters.

Which game did I download? Real Bout Fatal Fury 2. There was no point in getting the other Fatal Fury games because all the characters from those games are in Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 but with some extra characters that are only in this game.

The other Fatal Fury game I downloaded was Fatal Fury Special because it had Raiden most of the same characters from Fatal Fury plus some new characters and because both players can play as everyone on the roster as opposed to Player One being limited to 3 characters while Player Two can play as the bosses in addition to the 3 characters.

Also, I did not download the first two Art of Fighting games from Wii Shop because most of the characters in both games are already in The King of Fighters '98 or in either Fatal Fury Special or Real Bout Fatal Fury 2... so I opted for Art of Fighting 3 since its roster is completely revamped so I get to try out new playstyles that are not in the other fighting games.

If SSB4 had the same roster from Brawl plus some new characters, I don't see the point of a new customer buying Brawl when he can just get SSB4 instead. If SSB5 had the same roster from SSB4 plus some new characters, I don't see the point of buying SSB4 when I can just get SSB5.... and so on.

This is why I am open minded regarding character cuts. Pruning away old characters in favor of new characters keep the Smash sequels fresh and not stagnate into Brawl 2.0 (SSB4), SSB4 2.0 (SSB5), SSB5 2.0 (SSB6), and so on.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Somewhat, but not really.

Characters like Isaac and Roy I do hope for, but don't expect. I think they have a good chance, but if neither gets in, I won't be bothered. In comparison, King K. Rool, Mewtwo and Mega Man are additions that I do expect and feel are likely. If, let's say, Mega Man doesn't get in as the new third-party rep, heck yeah I would be heavily disappointed. But he's just a character and what I realize is that I have no direct control over his inclusion, so tantrums are not worth it.
I guess that's good then. It's okay to be disappointed if your favourite character doesn't make it in, so long as you don't throw a big tantrum over it and demand the developers to follow your needs or else you'd boycott the game or something silly like that. Then it's all good. ^^

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Just so long as you don't throw a hissy fit or threaten to boycott the game or something, then it's all good. :/
Or in one poor fangirl's case, threaten to commit suicide over Lyn being confirmed as an Assist Trophy. Oh god, those was the old days on Nsider. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

ITT: A new Smash can't possibly be anything more than an expansion if no characters are cut.

Never mind that gameplay aspects are going to be different just like Brawl was not exactly like Melee and Melee was not exactly like 64.
I mean, Melee had all the characters of 64 plus some new ones, yet it was more than just an "expansion" because of all the differences in gameplay.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Or in one poor fangirl's case, threaten to commit suicide over Lyn being confirmed as an Assist Trophy. Oh god, those was the old days on Nsider. :laugh:
I hope she wasn't being serious when saying that. I wasn't really around Nsider when Lyn was confirmed to be an assist trophy but I guess I wouldn't have wanted to anyway.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
If SSB4 had the same roster from Brawl plus some new characters, I don't see the point of a new customer buying Brawl when he can just get SSB4 instead. If SSB5 had the same roster from SSB4 plus some new characters, I don't see the point of buying SSB4 when I can just get SSB5.... and so on.
Well, there's more to the game than just characters lol

I mean, regardless of what the roster turns out to be like in terms of size and cuts, it's no good to have so many cool characters in one game but not have much to do with them in the game itself

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Now you two are making me curious, I would like to see that Lyn girl's reaction on that Nsider site just for the heck of it.

Hopefully things wont get too overdramatic this time around if another character gets confirmed (or reconfirmed) to be an assist trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom