• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Who's Pra_May?

The problem with "pra_mai" is that there is absolutely no clue as to what it is. Hell, it could even not be a name for a character at all but rather a codename, kind of like how in Melee some files for Roy are referred to as "fireemblem".
Oh darn... Fixed it... >>

I suppose it is then. I guess we won't be able to find out unless Sakurai himself tell's us about it... :/ Or if this "pra_mai" character actually makes it playable in smash 4...

bobadz

Smash Ace
It got really bad. Initially when Brawl was first unveiled, over half of the suggestions I saw were for third-party characters. Heck, there was even a significant minority that believed that we would receive more third-party characters than Nintendo newcomers. Sakurai quickly squashed that when he said that there would only be one or two more third-party characters after Snake.

However, even after the third-party character thing wore off things still got pretty bad due to a misinterpretation of Sakurai's various statements. For example, people misinterpreted Sakurai's reasoning for adding Zero Suit Samus (that Smash had few female characters so it was good to add another female newcomer) as him saying/meaning that he would go out of his way to add female newcomers.

There was also a lot of people who liberally applied Sakurai's statement of "there will be cuts". You had people saying that Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Roy, Falco, Mewtwo, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Ness, and Jigglypuff would be cut.

There was also basically a lot of character cults running around as well. The Ashley fanbase literally exploded out of nowhere simply due to the "Ashley's song" Dojo update. In general character fanbases were extremely fanboyish and scary, particularly the ones that were among the less likely to get in. It was horrible.

I can't really think of a really fanboyism fanbase this time around. There is enthusiastic support for Ridley, Mewtwo, Mega Man, and K. Rool, but aside from those four its pretty much it (probably Waluigi as well). Little Mac, Isaac, Palutena, and Roy are among the most wanted characters this time around, yet don't really have loud supporters.

However, I am thinking we will probably see a return to craziness once Smash 4 is formally unveiled.
I heard the moderation was less strict, and the reason there was a Permiant ban on Ridley topics was because of how rabid they got. Nowadays, while they are ensuthiastic, they seem to not be as rabid.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The thing is, cause Sakurai didn't say anything about characters yet, it's also unwise to completely rule out cuts yet.

And outside of Sonic's cut, I really wouldn't like seeing any of Brawl's cast gone. I even like Sheik now. :sheik:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I heard the moderation was less strict, and the reason there was a Permiant ban on Ridley topics was because of how rabid they got. Nowadays, while they are ensuthiastic, they seem to not be as rabid.
I am pretty much the original Ridley supporter and Ridley has been my number one most wanted character for Smash Bros. ever since the E3 2001 Melee unveil, and even I stayed away from the Ridley support topic on this site due to how childish much of the supporters were.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Supporters being childish? That's like saying water is wet, it's like one of those "no duh" things. We're pretty much all guilty of this, though how guilty varies with people.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I am pretty much the original Ridley supporter and Ridley has been my number one most wanted character for Smash Bros. ever since the E3 2001 Melee unveil, and even I stayed away from the Ridley support topic on this site due to how childish much of the supporters were.
I'm also a Ridley supporter, but I recall someone said before brawl was released they attacked other support topics.

Was that the reason Ridley topics were banned at the time?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
We attacked the Ashley topic because it was full of pedos.

Uhhh, Geno and Sonic too I think.

ALSO NO, there were multiple Ridley topics because they kept getting closed because we were dumb.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only two characters were cut for the sake of being cut; Pichu and Young Link. The other four (Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario) were all planned to return, but were lower priority so that if there had to be later cuts because time would not allow everyone, they would be among the first to go. Jigglypuff managed to survive; the other three did not.
I would say that even if all four managed to avoid the dreaded time issue, that would still mean that there would have "definitely been" cuts from the transition from Melee to Brawl due to Pichu and Young Link being gone no matter what.

There we go; further support as to why "pra_mai" is not likely to be Plusle and Minun. Thanks for that find.
Jigglypuff was able to survive, but so did Toon Link and Wolf. Who where also put on lower priority. Am hoping Jigglypuff stays this time to though. Cause with Mewtwo's re-addition, and Lucario still remaning popular and got in before Jiggz in Brawl, it's likely they wanna swap her for Mewtwo now? Especially if Mewtwo comes as a duo character of sorts. But I'd think Jigglypuff wouldn't take much time to make anyway. ANd I also think that's what got her in Smash 64 the first place. And helded her survive till Brawl. Hopefully they keep Jigglypuff around though.
And yes, I like Sheik. Am even considering maining her in Melee. :sheik:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm also a Ridley supporter, but I recall someone said before brawl was released they attacked other support topics.

Was that the reason Ridley topics were banned at the time?
Yes. They were a very rowdy and aggressive bunch. They even attacked one another I think. In many of the Ridley topics, there would be pages upon pages of spam/joke posts and off-topic posts.

D

Deleted member

So the ultimate question is what the hell is "pra_mai"? My Japanese is absolutely atrocious, so I would not know in that department in terms of romanizations and stuff. I think Golden mentioned that it could of been an Animal Crossing character, but I honestly don't have a clue.
I realize now that my theory of it being an AC character is also illogical.
If the character list was finalized by July 7, 2005 when the design document was completed, then an Animal Crossing character could not have been planned, as back then was when Sakurai said that characters like the Village Boy (that's the name of the trophy data) would not be playable if it did not make sense for them to fight, and the image for that is from the document.

bobadz

Smash Ace
One few things I remember was that fake radio interview. Where it said Ridley, bowser JR. And Toon Link were confirmed and Mr game& watch, Ice climbers, and young Link were cut. People on the board I went to believed that until Ice climbers were confirmed on the dojo.

D

Deleted member

So where did you show support on Ridley? Mainly on GameFAQs and the various threads on Smashboards that wasn't for Ridley?

Also noticed that the Ridley fan base has gotten so much better ever since pre-Brawl. The only really bad fan base that seems to be around for Smash 4 this time are Waluigi (shudders) and to a lesser extend, Krystal.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Krystal? Lol, I've seen way more hate/people against her on here than support

The only people I know that even like her on here are Shortie and Kuma (IIRC)

bobadz

Smash Ace
Oh god, the Waluigi fan base, my old shame. I was once a member of that pre brawl. I once made a post that I'm so ashamed I made.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Krystal has always been a mixed bag. Some people like her, some people don't. Though generally speaking, the people that liked her were jumping onto the whole female bandwagon or wanted Krystal due to spite for clones.

D

Deleted member

Krystal does get a decent amount of requests. While the fan base is much better than it was pre-Brawl, there are still cases like Magnes four months ago that were really bad Krystal supporters. Also annoying how some of the Krystal supporters left support cuts on Falco, Wolf or heaven forbid both.

@ChronoBound: I'm not sure what caused the rabidness that was the Ridley character fan base. Also, you've only mentioned eight out of the Top 10 that you saw (Wario, King Dedede, Meta-Knight, Ridley, Pit, Diddy Kong, Pit, Wolf). Was Krystal among the Top 10 (at least in the West)?

bobadz

Smash Ace
Krystal has always been a mixed bag. Some people like her, some people don't. Though generally speaking, the people that liked her were jumping onto the whole female bandwagon or wanted Krystal due to spite for clones.
I think she's more hated outside their these boards.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Why is Lucina always so crosseyed? Ironically this is one of her better pictures as it doesn't have her usual prominent ManJaw.
Ask the animators that made the cutscenes, because I have no idea.

I will say that the movement for the cutscenes is good, but some of the facial expressions are kind of sketchy.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm feeling horribly sleepy, so I'll be short...

- Diddy Kong suddenly sees the light and likes Sheik? Something's wrong (or not)...
- You can be a silent and intelligent supporter or a loud and dumb one.
- Pre-Brawl was absolute chaos. This isn't news. I only shudder at the thought of what will happen after the E3 confirmation.

That said, I'm off.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@ChronoBound: I'm not sure what caused the rabidness that was the Ridley character fan base. Also, you've only mentioned eight out of the Top 10 that you saw (Wario, King Dedede, Meta-Knight, Ridley, Pit, Diddy Kong, Pit, Wolf). Was Krystal among the Top 10 (at least in the West)?
I primarily showed my support for Ridley (I argued A LOT for him) on GameFAQs, Nsider, and other places on SmashBoards aside from the Ridley support topic.

As for Krystal being in the Top 10 in the West for pre-Brawl, she entered the Top 10 most wanted characters after Brawl's unveil. Isaac was in the Top 10 for pre-Brawl as well.

As for why the Ridley fanbase was rabid, it seemed more like a SmashBoards phenomenon to me. Elsewhere, Ridley supporters were pretty much like they are now.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I'm feeling horribly sleepy, so I'll be short...

- Diddy Kong suddenly sees the light and likes Sheik? Something's wrong (or not)...
- You can be a silent and intelligent supporter or a loud and dumb one.
- Pre-Brawl was absolute chaos. This isn't news. I only shudder at the thought of what will happen after the E3 confirmation.

That said, I'm off.
I' hope the mods are stricter when it comes to forum behavior, and order.

Also good night.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I dunno, I'm kinda looking forward to it.

(I'll probably have to eat those words post E3)
I am both dreading it and looking forward to it. I am dreading the tsunami of stupid and fanboyism, while I am excited due to the prospective Ridley (and possibly Mega Man) unveils.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah yes, I remember the pre-Brawl day's. Absolute chaos indeed. Well I guess we should cherish this peace while we still can. Because after E3 we will be filled with insanity and crazyness for a looong time until smash 4 gets released. (Remembers the Goku and Naruto requests.... *shudder*)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Why are you cocking that gun? You're only wasting a good shot....
Better make it count.
I remember how it was during Brawl's post-E3 reveal Goku and Naruto everywhere.
Lost a lot of good people that day....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think it would be wise to reform groups for legitimate discussion. Like i've said, i'm all for bull****ing, but I enjoy a good discussion.

It'll be like our bunker from the ****storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom