• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel the same way. However, I wouldn't be SO upset losing Lucario for Mewtwo. Ike has definiate priority over both Chrom and Roy for me though! And Mewtwo / Mewthree has it over Lucario. Though in all honesty, I'd prefer having Mewtwo / Mewthree, Lucario, Ike, Chrom AND Roy. More = good. And am also opening up to keeping Sheik, but having Impa as a newcomer anyway. ^^

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
He had only listed Yoshi, Wario, Mother and Kid Icarus as choices. F-Zero would take priority over all of those if it were included there (assuming Palutena is already a lock).
I would like to believe that too.
Unfortunately F-Zero hasn't had a single new game in nine years.
I'm worried that the franchise has been retired. :( x 1,000,000

volbound1700

Smash Master
I really don't think Ike is going anywhere because of his unique moveset. I do think there will be 3 FE reps, I am just unsure who is going to be the third one.

I serously doubt we will get a new F-Zero character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I say Chrom is more likely than Roy. Even though I'd love to see both. And cause Roy could easily be Marth's Lucas / Falco / Wolf it's much easier to add him in. Same with Impa and Zelda / Sheik.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Chrom? Roy? Am I really seeing these names again?

A wild Fire Emblem discussion appeared!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
FE conversation?1?

Oh no! Gotta avoid this at all costs!1!!!11

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Uh... nobody ever gave me that Shulk moveset!

D

Deleted member

SSBF uses "Change Topic!"

Topic changed. Fire Emblem flame war is defeated.
---
Onto another topic, how popular was Sonic before Snake's reveal? We know that Sonic was by far the most wanted character after Snake's reveal, but I'm not sure how popular he was before third-parties were considered a realistic outcome.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

---
Onto another topic, how popular was Sonic before Snake's reveal? We know that Sonic was by far the most wanted character after Snake's reveal, but I'm not sure how popular he was before third-parties were considered a realistic outcome.
You'd have to ask one of the people that were here BEFORE Brawl's reveal. I didn't even know a new smash was being made until I saw the trailer

Where are those people

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Fire Emblem discussion? Well alrighty then...

[Insert your favorite lord here] is **** and you should feel bad.

There, end of discussion.

D

Deleted member

You'd have to ask one of the people that were here BEFORE Brawl's reveal. I didn't even know a new smash was being made until I saw the trailer

Where are those people
I'm going to try to post this once someone (like ChronoBound, Oasis_S and Starphoenix) from those time comes in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm not one of those people, but I bet you they'll say that Sonic was the definite third party to add, even before Snake's reveal, due to that one Melee hoax about 10 KOs in Cruel Melee unlocking Sonic and Tails raising his notoriety. In fact, part of the reason Snake caused such a stir was because it meant other third parties, namely Sonic, were possible.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I personally can't really say for certain. Would imagine he was still popular before then. Especially due to that Sonic and Tails in Melee prank.

I just remember being embarrassed that, out of all the third-party character threads I had to post in, saying how impossible they were, it just had to be Snake's thread. Pretty sure Sora, Cloud, and Master Chief had threads before the trailer too.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord

---
Here's a link to the official Sonic thread made back in May 2006.
It has 390 pages of replies.
http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...rawl-related-or-suffer-xsys-xiis-wrath.72265/
So yes, he must have been very popular.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sonic was easily the most popular character pre-Brawl and as an obvious Diddy supporter I was pissed by this. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

D

Deleted member

Back from trip. Give me a tl;dr on what I've missed since my last post.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Back from trip. Give me a tl;dr on what I've missed since my last post.
1.Mewthree
2. Kikwi-Kiwi's Birthday
3. Mud flinging about Fire Emblem
4. Loads of Anime and Manga talk
5. Discussion about cuts
6. Casual-competitive fights with SmashChu

D

Deleted member

Decided to read some of the Sonic thread and found this right before Sonic's confirmation:
SmashChu said:
It's not that fact that Sonic is shown tomorrow, but whether or not we get something, or if we get Sonic at all.

I really want to see him.
Can't believe there was a time when SmashChu supported a third-party.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I do have an interesting question to ponder, what would you guys thank about Sakurai making Luigi a part of his own series? (i.e. Yoshi, Wario).

Luigi definitely is starting to have his own branch of games in the Luigi Mansion trilogy. Would this be a little overboard? It would mean Mario could get more reps in the game.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Regarding Mewtwo, I have to wonder if they'll bring him back or use the new Mew Pokemon. People think it's a new form, but I honestly don't think it is, especially when it's set to appear with Mewtwo in the upcoming movie and how they keep saying "A new Pokemon with a familiar look" and when it came to it being completely related to Mewtwo or being the same they finish with "but not quite"

I'm guessing this is a new experiment by Team Rocket to succeed Mewtwo. Another theory is that it's a female clone of Mew. Mewtwo looks very masculine and we can all agree he's "male". This new Pokemon looks feminine and more nimble and petite. Not sure how I would feel if this Pokemon would take Mewtwo's potential spot in the roster. Then again, Smash 4 is bound to have DLC, and I can totally see Mewtwo's moveset differentiating itself from this new Pokemon when you take their builds into consideration. Mewtwo would probably have to be heavier in Smash 4 and this new Mew would be lighter than him. Many possibilities. Lucario can stay since he's still popular with a lot of people. I don't think anyone will get cut as there is no reason to do so. Roy might make a return with his new look from Awakening. Krom is bound to represent Awakening as well. So we'd have 4 FE characters which is fair. I'd like the 5th to be Lucina or Lyn, just so we can have one female rep for the series.

Kid Icarus needs Hades, Palutena and/or Medusa. Anyone who's seen the short anime featuring Palutena can see she can be a capable fighter with the magic and skills she possess. Even in Uprising. I would have thought Magnus would be great for Smash 4 but I'm not sure if he's as significant as Hades and Medusa. If they could, I would love Phosphora to be added as well but it may be too much... Sakurai will eventually have to come forward and mention DLC- whether it's going to happen or not. He hinted it for Brawl that if the Wii could, there was a possibility. And as for people worrying about balancing, because Namco Bandai is handling the mechanics of the game (but mostly the engine- graphics, sound, etc), I would think they'd initiate patches to balance characters out accordingly. So, having too many characters and fearing balancing issues should be in the back of everyone's minds if they follow through with such things.

Whew, I'm going off on a tangent. Sorries. This new Mew thing has me excited not only for Pokemon XY but Smash Bros...

bobadz

Smash Ace
It's possible that Luigi will represent his own series, but he'd still be considered a Mario character in most fans eyes.

And I'm hoping it's a form of mewtwo, so he can represent gen VI and not be accused of only having Gen I and IV Pokemon. (I'm pretty sure a gen V rep has no chance of being playable in Smash now.)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Kid Icarus is too small of a franchise to get more than 2 reps right now. To be honest, I would be happy with just Pit.

My view of Luigi is the same as Yoshi. Both have spin-off games that are tied heavily to Mario series. Wario and the DK series do have bigger spin-offs that go in a different direction but they as well are a piece of the Mario series.

bobadz

Smash Ace
The diffrance between between the four is that DK and Wario have large supporting casts. Luigi only has Egadd, and Yoshi only has baby Mario and Kamek.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Luigi is still largely a part of the core Mario franchise. Unlike Yoshi, who has been getting spin-offs since the SNES era, Luigi's mansion series is comparative new and too small at the moment to treat Luigi as a spin-off character.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Even Yoshi's spin-offs involve him defending "Baby Mario." I believe this is true for all of them except maybe Yoshi Story. They all have characters from the Mario series. I just do not see how Yoshi deserves his own series to be honest. However, following that platform, Luigi has earned his right to have his own series under the Yoshi definition. Eventually Peach will be on here way if there is more Super Peach games.

D

Deleted member

Luigi becoming his own series would not mean more additions for Mario. It is still possible that even if such an incredibly unlikely situation where Luigi gets his own franchise, that Mario still keeps the one we have and add no one else.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yoshi has been recognized as a spin-off character since Smash 64. Even at that time, there were 7 games starring Yoshi by then.
Link: http://www.mariowiki.com/yoshi_(series)

By comparison, Luigi's Mansion series will have only 2 games, by the time of release of Smash 4's release.

volbound1700

Smash Master
FalKoopa and everyone one of those games except maybe Yoshi Cookie has Bowser or one of his minions as a villian and all but Yoshi Story have Mario in them.

To me, they still appear to be a part of the Mario series. I have never understood how and why Yoshi got his own series because they are simply Mario games except you play as Yoshi instead of Mario. Luigi is clearly branching out his own series with distinctive enemies, games, etc. so he fits the Yoshi series perogative and if you want to add every little title, Hotel Mario and a few other games can also be considered Luigi series game (you included Super Mario World 2, Yoshi Safari (where you played as Mario or Yoshi against Bowser), and you included Yoshi Puzzle games included one that was a Japanese only title remake of Yoshi Cookie title so in reality only 6 games since 64 era.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The little series icons are hardly more than meaningless fun. Not much to worry about.

I mean if Tingle got a little Rupee thing as his icon, it's not like it would be worth saying the Tingle series needs more characters. Of course, people will still do that anyway.

volbound1700

Smash Master
@ Oasis_S you are probably right. Luigi could have his own symbol as well. I still consider Yoshi a part of the Mario series in general as well as Wario. Therefore in my definition of Brawl, Mario had 6 characters just like the series had in Melee.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Pikachu has: Hey You, Pikachu!, Pokemon Channel, Pokemon Dash, PokePark Wii, etc. Pikachu should get in as his own series!

In fact, lets give everyone their own series/icons while we're at it. Like seriously, why the does Ike have the Falchion as his icon? It doesn't make any sense!1!!

But seriously, I don't really care that much about icons in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom