• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I never cared for 3rd parties, so even if they get the axe I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest.
They are the only ones about whom I feel that way. But I would be dissapointed if any of the Nintendo characters were cut.

D

Deleted member

The only cuts I can see happening is Sonic and Snake if Sega and Konami don't let their characters in again or if Sakurai doesn't ask for them again. We "might" lose Lucario and Toon Link but that would be pretty much it I think. The Brawl roster is pretty much perfect for what it achieved imo so I'd rather there wont be any cuts at all but I wont be surprised if we did lose a few characters. :/
Agreed,

Imo the characters who can get the axe are:

Sonic
Snake
Lucas
Ike
Falco
Sheik

2-3 of those 6 won't be coming back imo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just want people to stop being so selfish and realizing how much effort goes into making a game. To be aware of the consequences of having an oversized roster, and Nintendo's current plan with the game. That's all.
Given the fact Sakurai cannot please everyone. All I know is there will be tons of fanboy tears when SSB4's final roster, including unlockables, is leaked and confirmed. But exactly what they will be butthurt over is the mystery. :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Toon Link get's the boot and my next most wanted character shows up I will feel a little cursed. Because in one game my most wanted character appears but in the next they get kicked out. Kinda sad but yeah.

Oh well, at least I got to play as them. ^^

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Agreed,

Sonic
Snake
Lucas
Ike
Falco

2-3 of those 5 won't be coming back imo.
IMO, the melee characters who made it to Brawl are shoo-ins.

And for Lucas, I doubt he will be cut, considering he was added in the face of more deserving ones like K. Rool and Ridley. Can't say much about Ike.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, you could always just pick another character if for whatever reason the last one was scrapped. I mean, there will always be a selection no matter what, so people shouldn't worry this much.

IMO, the melee characters who made it to Brawl are shoo-ins.
Opinion =/= fact.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
if we get 10 newcomers I'll be more than happy (just hope its my 10 :D).

At least if there are cuts we can always go back to past smash games and say "oh remember when this guy was in the game". Idk, it at least adds to the adventure of breaking out old games.

D

Deleted member

Also, I can kinda see Red getting streamlined into one character, so that he doesn't take up 3 slots. There is no reason to have the 3 Pokemon as seperate loadable characters. I'm sure there's a way to make them work more as one character without breaking the gimmick.

Thoughts?

Then again, that's irrelevant, just make the loading faster and balance the character so there's more synregy with it.

Also, he MIGHT get cut for balancing issues. Namco might see him as too hard to balance... Who knows.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, you could always just pick another character if for whatever reason the last one was scrapped. I mean, there will always be a selection no matter what, so people shouldn't worry this much.

Opinion =/= fact.
I know, I know. One of my mains that I'm confident will never get the boot is Ness so I can always have fun with him. And I enjoy playing as different characters when I feel a little bored with my mains anyway.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Toon Link get's the boot and my next most wanted character shows up I will feel a little cursed. Because in one game my most wanted character appears but in the next they get kicked out. Kinda sad but yeah.

Oh well, at least I got to play as them. ^^
Exactly. At least we got to play as them. Exactly why I'm fine with cuts and adding new characters in their places. That's why I'm more open to the idea of cutting some characters to make room for new ones. If we kept all the new characters out because we don't want to lose a single old character, then we aren't gonna play with the new characters... And then there's just no point in buying the new game. If we kept all the old characters and add a bunch of newcomers, it will come at the expense of balance. You cannot have both quality and quantity... It's impossible and pretty much pointless to try. You gotta prune the unnecessary excess grapes out to make good quality wines.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't get why some people think that a character will be cut for gameplay purposes.

Characters DRIVE the game sales. They are the MOST HYPED part of the game. I'm sure 80% of the people pick up Smash just because of the characters in it.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I wouldn't mind cutting vets since you could add characters who might not make it after this, who knows, they might end up like pit

Not to mention cut veteran increase the character pool, allowing more excitement

really it makes sence from a business stand point

D

Deleted member

I don't get why some people think that a character will be cut for gameplay purposes.

Characters DRIVE the game sales. They are the MOST HYPED part of the game. I'm sure 80% of the people pick up Smash just because of the characters in it.
Precicely because of what you said.

Characters drive the game. Some people would rather see a new face over an old one. That creates more hype imo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Sure. Characters drive sales... But to make customers come back to play again and again, the gameplay got to be in good quality. Otherwise, you see a bunch of used copies of SSB4 at GameStop and no one is buying.

D

Deleted member

Agreed,

Sonic
Snake
Lucas
Ike
Falco
Sheik

2-3 of those 6 won't be coming back imo.
Those three without the strikes are the only ones that would feasibly be cut at this point (I would have said Lucario, but at this rate, I see no reason why the Pokemon Company would want him out and I see Sakurai pushing for his return).

peeup

Smash Lord
I think its safe to say that no characters will be cut. The only ones that are in a little danger are Lucario and Snake.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Characters drive the game. Some people would rather see a new face over an old one. That creates more hype imo.
I get the point.

But,my post was directed towards this:
Also, he MIGHT get cut for balancing issues. Namco might see him as too hard to balance... Who knows.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Exactly. At least we got to play as them. Exactly why I'm fine with cuts and adding new characters in their places. That's why I'm more open to the idea of cutting some characters to make room for new ones. If we kept all the new characters out because we don't want to lose a single old character, then we aren't gonna play with the new characters... And then there's just no point in buying the new game. If we kept all the old characters and add a bunch of newcomers, it will come at the expense of balance. You cannot have both quality and quantity... It's impossible and pretty much pointless to try. You gotta prune the unnecessary excess grapes out to make good quality wines.
Yeah I guess you're right Arcadenik. At least I got to enjoy some action with Toon Link during the Brawl day's as well as Mewtwo for the Melee day's. My most wanted character this time is Professor Layton but if he doesn't show up then I suppose there are other character to look forward to such as Palutena, Mewzora, Mallo and Lip etc etc (Who all pretty much have much higher chances than Layton since their not 3rd party like him) It would still be nice to keep Toon Link and bring Mewtwo back but if they don't oh well, it's not the end of the world. Their still in their respective games then and I'd have a reason to go back to them. It's not like after smash 4, Melee and Brawl are removed from existence or anything. ^^

The only bummed thing about it is that you cant have them battle alongside any of the other characters who weren't in their games though...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

The problem is that all the characters that would drive sales have mostly all been used up. There is only a handful of characters this time that could be called highly requested (Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, Little Mac, Isaac, Palutena, Mewtwo, and Roy), and of those, two of them have already been in, only Mega Man is a video game icon, while only four (Ridley, K. Rool, Little Mac, Isaac) are Nintendo icons (iconic among Nintendo fans themselves).

Smash 4 is definitely going to be less character driven than Brawl was (which added 18 newcomers) and maybe even Melee (which added 14), and Sakurai himself has talked about a change in direction aside from merely just beefing up the roster and stage count.

Really, the only characters I think are in most danger of being cut are Snake and Sonic (only because we don't know what Sakurai's beliefs are for guest characters staying, and the precedence for guests in other fighting series to leave).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure even the unknown get create hype if implemented right. Characters don't create as much hype as some people might thinks, especially considering the typical video dynamic doesn't even recognize half of them to begin with.

D

Deleted member

I get the point.

But,my post was directed towards this:
Dixie didn't get in because it was difficult to get them to work together. In other fighters it's common for some characters to get cut because they are a balancing nightmare. The same could happen to PT, then again, Smash isn't a competitive game at heart so who knows.

I think it's possible Red will be the character with the most changes.

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
To say that people won't play as new characters if the old ones they love stayed is just not true.

Going by this logic, I should have not been able to play as Sonic in Brawl because my old main Mario was in 64 and Melee. Yet look at my main for Brawl.

And who's to say that we need 55+ characters (transformation included) to satisfy people? Most people would be satisfied if this was the final roster for Smash 4:

- Brawl cast
- King K. Rool
- Ridley
- Mewtwo
- Roy
- Palutena
- Little Mac
- Isaac
- Mega Man

47 characters and no cuts. Even with the initial backlash of the roster being "too bland", most everyone will turn out to enjoy the roster in the long run. At the very least, people will look more favorably with a roster like this than a roster that cuts Lucario for Zoroark and cuts Ike for Chrom.

Edit: This isn't confirmed, but it's looking like to be Mewtwo's form:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65899894
So if true, can we all agree that Mewtwo is the most likely addition to be made?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Edit: This isn't confirmed, but it's looking like to be Mewtwo's form:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65899894
So if true, can we all agree that Mewtwo is the most likely addition to be made?
There is no excuse for Mewtwo be slow in the next game if true. Plus, Mewtwo with a Super Sonic Final Smash would be pretty much guaranteed. Although it would be awesome if Mewtwo had an attack form and not a speed form, since speed has never really been an issue for Mewtwo...

Since64

Smash Cadet
Also, I didn't realize there was actual NEWS happening on the SM4SH front. I thought we were just shooting the bull. If we have actual character confirmations please, somebody hand me a link.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Edit: This isn't confirmed, but it's looking like to be Mewtwo's form: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65899894

Sounds like a Speed Form. Which I guess makes sense given "Extremespeed Genesect" but the funny thing is Mewtwo is already normally faster than Genesect and is already within the Top 10 fastest Pokemon in the game.

If a new form though, I'm still betting on it serving as a Final Smash or, as Kuma may put it, a stance, rather than as the default Mewtwo or as an alternate costume.

Also I agree with the other things said in your post about new characters/cuts.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Also, I didn't realize there was actual NEWS happening on the SM4SH front. I thought we were just shooting the bull. If we have actual character confirmations please, somebody hand me a link.
We haven't gotten any newcomer confirmations yet. At least none that I know of...

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
This is a wobbuffet moveset I made, tell me what you think

Stats:

Size- 5
Weight- 3
Ground Speed- 4
Jump- 7
Aerial Speed- 2
Fall Speed- 8
Traction- 5

Due to him being a "Punching Bag", Wobbuffet takes 50% less knockback

A: Slap 2% "F"
AA: Slap, Slap 2%, 2% "F"
AAA: Slap, Slap, Tail Slap 2%, 2%, 6% "D"
Running A: Runs and slaps 11% "D"

Tilt:

U-Tilt: Small Headbuut 8% "C"
D-Tilt: Low Slap 9% "D"
F-Tilt: Head Clap 10% "B"

Air:

N-Air: Tail Spin 15% "B"
U-Air: Overhead Clap 17% "B"
D-Air: Tail Drill 3% x 7 "D"
F-Air: Karate Chop 15% "B"
B-Air: Tail Whip 18% "A"

Grabs:

Pummel: Slap
U-Grab: Wobbuffet Headbutts his opponent up. 13% "C"
D-Grab: Wobbuffet Slaps his opponent with his tail, sending down, otg. 14% "C"
F-Grab: Wobbuffet Slaps his opponent. 12% "C"
B-Grab: Wobbuffet does a round house tail. 12% "C"

Smashes:

U-Smash: Head Smash 4% x 3, 12% "B"
D-Smash: Tail Sweep 18% "B"
F-Smash: Back Hand 22% "A"

Taunts:

1: Wobbuffet Salutes and says "Wobbuffet
2: Wobbuffet Puffs out his chest
3: Wobbuffet Yawns

Victory Poses:

1: Same as Taunt 1
2: Wobbuffet does the Egyptian dance
3: Wobbuffet eats a feast then says "Wobba"

Specials:

N-Special Counter: Puffs out his chest for 3 seconds. When Wobbuffet is hit, he slaps his opponent, dealing 1.5* of the damage he would have received and does the same amount of the moves knock back.

F-Special Encore: Shoots a ball of light that does 0%. When it hits an opponent, it traps them in a loop of the last special move they did for 3 seconds. (if no special move was used, it uses the N-Special). When he casts it with in 30 seconds of the last casting time, the encore fails and wobbuffet looks surprised

U-Special Tailicopter: Spins his tail really fast, causing him to rise to (around a ness double jump) in height. Becomes helpless afterwords.

D-Special Magic coat: Reflects a projectile at 2x the speed, dealing 150% of the projectiles damage and the same amount of the projectiles knock back

Final Smash Destiny Bound: Wobbuffet resets his damage counter to 300% and is given an aura. When wobbuffet is KO'ed while he has this aura, he KO'er is dragged off the screen and is KO'ed by wobbuffet. (When wobbuffet dies due to SD, the aura goes away when he respawns)

Letters in quotes next to the moves are the knock back level.

"A": Great
"B": Good
"C": Ok
"D": Bad
"F": None

Play style: Wobbuffet is a patience players best choice. He is a defensive tank that requires the best timing to rack up the damage on his opponent.

Tips when playing as him:

-Know what kind of character you are playing against, (knowing when to use his counter or his magic coat).

-Know when to use encore, (this will be the difference between winning and losing, a encore while a character is coming back to the stage will hurt their chances of surviving).

Tips when playing against him:

-Throws are your best friend, (he doesn't have a counter for your throws, use them a lot)

any questions just ask.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
There is no excuse for Mewtwo be slow in the next game if true. Plus, Mewtwo with a Super Sonic Final Smash would be pretty much guaranteed. Although it would be awesome if Mewtwo had an attack form and not a speed form, since speed has never really been an issue for Mewtwo...
Not that attack has been a problem either with him having the Third highest Special Attack of any pokemon and decent Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom