• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Don't jump the gun yet. Ashley is the currently most popular WarioWare character in Japan.
Which is the equivalent of being the tallest ******. I saw more interest in Ashley during pre-Brawl in Japan than now, though still that "more interest" was not much.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh hey, Chrono got a new avatar. I was about to point out the previous avatar was a bit of an eye sore due to the empty gap the old avatars provided, but it seems like that won't be needed.

Kid Icarus: Uprising characters were memorable. I'd like to have Pit and other possible KI newcomers to have a Smash Taunt like the Star Fox trio and Snake have. I can totally see it happening.
This is that one Easter egg that I want to see the most.

Since64

Smash Cadet
Kid Icarus: Uprising characters were memorable. I'd like to have Pit and other possible KI newcomers to have a Smash Taunt like the Star Fox trio and Snake have. I can totally see it happening.
Actually, me too! That would be awesome! Also, do you think Pit's moveset is going to change to fit Uprising? Like, I don't know, a Blade instead of a bow?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Actually, me too! That would be awesome! Also, do you think Pit's moveset is going to change to fit Uprising? Like, I don't know, a Blade instead of a bow?
In my honest opinion, if they want to add Uprising weaponry, they should add Dark Pit for that, while Pit retains his moveset from Brawl, which is more inspired on the 2D Kid Icarus games (NES KI and Of Myths and Monsters for GB).

Palutena is another character I want in.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
In my honest opinion, if they want to add Uprising weaponry, they should add Dark Pit for that, while Pit retains his moveset from Brawl, which is more inspired on the 2D Kid Icarus games (NES KI and Of Myths and Monsters for GB).

Palutena is another character I want in.
No way , We don't need cheap clones in the game, I don't care if they have different Move-set but just no...

Since64

Smash Cadet
Okay. It's time to discuss the elephant in the room.

How many of you guys thinks MegaMan is gonna actually happen this time?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't think we should take popularity in very high regard, since we may always have unexpected surprises (Ice Climbers in Melee, anyone?).

However, I am not saying that popularity is not important, in fact, it is and has influenced Sakurai in adding certain characters (Pit and Sonic in Brawl).
In Melee, the only characters that were not popularly requested characters were Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Dr. Mario, and Roy. Pichu was among the most popular (probably the most popular overall) Pokemon of Generation 2, while Young Link actually tied with Zelda and Sheik on Sakurai's pre-Melee poll.

In Brawl, the only characters that got in that had few if any requests to them were Snake, Zero Suit Samus, ROB, and to an extent Pokemon Trainer (Ash Ketchum was a popular choice in Sakurai's pre-Melee poll, and there was "some" interest in a trainer in the West, while there has been quite a bit of interest in promoting Charizard and Squirtle to playable status even before Melee was unveiled).

Typically, most of the characters that get into Smash Bros. had a lot of interest by fans to get in the first place. Does that mean popularity is the sole factor for inclusion? No, but it certainly helps you get noticed and is a plus on a resume towards inclusion. Ganondorf and Sonic (and Wolf) were the most wanted characters for their respective Smash Bros. games, yet got in as last minute additions. Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede were also incredibly popular choices for Melee, while Ridley and Isaac were for Brawl, yet they still did not get in.

Though although some popular choices were skipped, lots of others got picked as well. It all depends on Sakurai's priorities. For example, it is rumored Sakurai did not go with Wario for Melee because he had already added two original Mario characters (Bowser and Peach), and he thought Wario deserved better than being a clone when he thought of a Mario series clone slot. King Dedede was planned since Smash 64 (so he obviously thought he was worthy towards inclusion since the very beginning and probably already had ideas on what to do with him then), yet got bumped out of 64 due to time and budget constraints (Smash 64 was a rather shoestring game), and for Melee, he thought the larger actors of Nintendo's larger series (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon) were a higher priority than his own creation (Kirby), of which he wanted to be humble about.

We will learn much, much more about Sakurai's thinking this time around once E3 finally comes along. However, from Sakurai's present statements, he seems to think other focuses aside from beefing up the character and stage count will be needed to keep Smash Bros. fresh, and has talked about the need for more balance. Will this mean we will get less newcomers this time around? Well who knows. Keep in mind that Sakurai also said in 2006 that his team greatly struggled to get to 26 playable characters in Melee, and that it would be very challenging to go over that, and we ended up getting far more newcomers than any previous Smash Bros. game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The opinion I have on Dark Pit is no different than the one I have for Toon Link.

I was deeply disappointed that Toon Link didn't have stuff from his games, like the Deku Leaf, the Hammer, Bombchu and other such things.

I am opposed to the idea of adding Dark Pit as a clone. For that, he's better off as a Pit alt.

Since64

Smash Cadet
No way , We don't need cheap clones in the game, I don't care if they have different Move-set but just no...
Hear. Hear.

Also, I hate Dark Pit! He's the only character in that game who I couldn't tolerate at ALL. Jeez I'd take VIRIDI over Dark Pit!

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
In Melee, the only characters that were not popularly requested characters were Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Dr. Mario, and Roy. Pichu was among the most popular (probably the most popular overall) Pokemon of Generation 2, while Young Link actually tied with Zelda and Sheik on Sakurai's pre-Melee poll.

In Brawl, the only characters that got in that had few if any requests to them were Snake, Zero Suit Samus, ROB, and to an extent Pokemon Trainer (Ash Ketchum was a popular choice in Sakurai's pre-Melee poll, and there was "some" interest in a trainer in the West, while there has been quite a bit of interest in promoting Charizard and Squirtle to playable status even before Melee was unveiled).

Typically, most of the characters that get into Smash Bros. had a lot of interest by fans to get in the first place. Does that mean popularity is the sole factor for inclusion? No, but it certainly helps you get noticed and is a plus on a resume towards inclusion. Ganondorf and Sonic (and Wolf) were the most wanted characters for their respective Smash Bros. games, yet got in as last minute additions. Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede were also incredibly popular choices for Melee, while Ridley and Isaac were for Brawl, yet they still did not get in.

Though although some popular choices were skipped, lots of others got picked as well. It all depends on Sakurai's priorities. For example, it is rumored Sakurai did not go with Wario for Melee because he had already added two original Mario characters (Bowser and Peach), and he thought Wario deserved better than being a clone when he thought of a Mario series clone slot. King Dedede was planned since Smash 64 (so he obviously thought he was worthy towards inclusion since the very beginning and probably already had ideas on what to do with him then), yet got bumped out of 64 due to time and budget constraints (Smash 64 was a rather shoestring game), and for Melee, he thought the larger actors of Nintendo's larger series (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon) were a higher priority than his own creation (Kirby), of which he wanted to be humble about.

We will learn much, much more about Sakurai's thinking this time around once E3 finally comes along. However, from Sakurai's present statements, he seems to think other focuses aside from beefing up the character and stage count will be needed to keep Smash Bros. fresh, and has talked about the need for more balance. Will this mean we will get less newcomers this time around? Well who knows. Keep in mind that Sakurai also said in 2006 that his team greatly struggled to get to 26 playable characters in Melee, and that it would be very challenging to go over that, and we ended up getting far more newcomers than any previous Smash Bros. game.
Chrono, there's an old saying in my culture which means ."The ideal phrase is that which is short and to the point"

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chrono, there's an old saying in my culture which means ."The ideal phrase is that which is short and to the point"
Its been a long while since I last made a post this long. The extra details were needed to cover the basis for my various ideas for that post. Secondly, most of the long posts in this topic lately have been off-topic, so I figure what I said was a breath of fresh air for a lot of people.

D

Deleted member

The Wii U disk has 25 Gigabytes of storage. There's plenty of room. The 3DS Cart hold 8 Gigabytes, which is plenty after downscaling.

What's the most hyped part of any Smash game? Characters! Coincidence? I think not. Why? Because Smash's biggest appeal is playing with your favorite characters against your other favorite characters, and if you cut any (especially since Brawl doesn't have any easily cuttable characters), you just alienated people that liked that character.
Gingerbread Man got it right. It's not about size, it's about time and management.

Picture this, you have TWO development teams, equally talented. One has a very large team and a huge budget, but ONE year to make a game. The other has much Smaller team, like 5x smaller, and by default a much smaller budget, but is given 3-4 years to make a game.

Guess who makes the better game...

Have you ever played DBZ Budukai Tenkaichi 3? Namco had a hand in that (they published it).

Since64

Smash Cadet
Ok, I've been hearing Ridley's name being kicked around lately.

And....

I REALLY hope not! He's a 60 foot pterodactyl! That may give him a bit of an unfair advantage!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Since this post got lost at the bottom of the last page. I am re-posting it here.

Honestly, I don't think we should take popularity in very high regard, since we may always have unexpected surprises (Ice Climbers in Melee, anyone?).

However, I am not saying that popularity is not important, in fact, it is and has influenced Sakurai in adding certain characters (Pit and Sonic in Brawl).

D

Deleted member

She wants your Spanish Deluxe.
Well she wouldn't be the first...

If there's one thing I'll never complain about in Spain, it's the women.

Its been a long while since I last made a post this long. The extra details were needed to cover the basis for my various ideas for that post. Secondly, most of the long posts in this topic lately have been off-topic, so I figure what I said was a breath of fresh air for a lot of people.
Actually, the off-topic discussions are a breath of fresh air from the usual topics we have around here. That's why people like them but feel guilty about it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ok, I've been hearing Ridley's name being kicked around lately.

And....

I REALLY hope not! He's a 60 foot pterodactyl! That may give him a bit of an unfair advantage!
Okay, I've been hearing Mewtwo's name being kicked around lately.

And...

I REALLY hope not! He's the strongest Pokemon ever created! That may give him a bit of an unfair advantage!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Gingerbread Man got it right. It's not about size, it's about time and management.

Picture this, you have TWO development teams, equally talented. One has a very large team and a huge budget, but ONE year to make a game. The other has much Smaller team, like 5x smaller, and by default a much smaller budget, but is given 3-4 years to make a game.
Good thing Smash 4 has by far the most development time and largest development team size of any Smash Bros. game to date. To give you an idea, Smash 64 was made in a little over a year, Melee in 1.5 years, Brawl in two years. This game basically started preliminary development at the very beginning of 2012, and has an expected release of Q4 2014 (so a three year development).

Think about how much (or how far) an extra year of development will go for Smash 4, especially with the largest development team ever for it.

D

Deleted member

Okay, I've been hearing Mewtwo's name being kicked around lately.

And...

I REALLY hope not! He's the strongest Pokemon ever created! That may give him a bit of an unfair advantage!

I've been hearing Roy's name being kicked around lately.

And...

I REALLY hope not! He's the stronge- ah wait, no he's not. Never mind then.

D

Deleted member

Good thing Smash 4 has by far the most development time and largest development team size of any Smash Bros. game to date. To give you an idea, Smash 64 was made in a little over a year, Melee in 1.5 years, Brawl in two years. This game basically started preliminary development at the very beginning of 2012, and has an expected release of Q4 2014 (so a three year development).

Think about how much (or how far) an extra year of development will go for Smash 4, especially with the largest development team ever for it.
[citation needed]
Considering KIU came out March 2012. Smash 4 has been in development for a little over a year, and that's assuming Sakurai and his team went straight to it with no in-between break, which I find unlikely.

We have NO IDEA when the game is coming out. All we know is that it'll be 2014 most likely. Going by your measurement of Q4 2014, that only gives the game 2.5 years of development time, since we gotta factor in publishing and distribution too. 2.5 years is around the same time Brawl got. However, also note that as of now, it seems they are working on TWO games simultaneously, which is a very different scenario to that of Brawl and Melee.

To assume that the resource allocated to this game arein better condition than previously is a bit absurd. There are a lot of pros, but also a lot of cons. As of now we don't know how develpment is going and how they are allocating their resources. This is no special situation. The same rules still apply and to hope for both Quality and Quantity in this situation is dumb. There has to be a balance and this WILL affect the roster imo. Don't agree with me? The I dare you to spend a couple months working as a cook in a busy kitchen. Tell me how long you last...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Manly, despite KIU being released in March 2012, the game had to be finished before that.

And I'm certain that SSB4's development started in February 2012, so it's been little more than a year since Smash 4 began development.

D

Deleted member

Fixed it for you. :troll:
Thanks buddy!

Lyn confirmed for Smash 4!

Stop with FANBOYISM, WE ALL KNOW IKE IS THE STRONGEST!
Ike is the strongest, I agree.

Yeah. But he has no wife. :troll: Priam/Paris is Mist's descendant. :troll:
Hey, it's called WINcest for a reason!

Also, what about that hottie Elincia. We all know Ike got a piece of that ass. And Mia, and Nephenee...

Anyway, I'm gonna stop before this becomes another FE discussion...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't agree with me? The I dare you to spend a couple months working as a cook in a busy kitchen. Tell me how long you last...
Let's just clarify that it's not an easy ordeal, especially for a novice. It requires a lot of precision, focus, and speed in order to make high quality meals quickly. The worst part is that if you make any mistake, you better compensate fast or else you are royally ****ed over.

Chrono you have created a scar that will never heal DAMNYAOIFANGIRLS
CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIN!
THESE ORANGES WILL NOT PEEEEL!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Considering KIU came out March 2012. Smash 4 has been in development for a little over a year, and that's assuming Sakurai and his team went straight to it with no in-between break, which I find unlikely.
Uprising went gold in January 2012, and Sakurai said in 2011 that he would work immediately on Smash 4 upon Uprising's completion.

We have NO IDEA when the game is coming out. All we know is that it'll be 2014 most likely. Going by your measurement of Q4 2014, that only gives the game 2.5 years of development time, since we gotta factor in publishing and distribution too. 2.5 years is around the same time Brawl got. However, also note that as of now, it seems they are working on TWO games simultaneously, which is a very different scenario to that of Brawl and Melee.
Sakurai was probably already thinking about ideas for Smash 4 in December 2012, and already had an engine up and running by June 2012 (he mentioned this with the Namco as the developer confirmation).

Secondly, they are not two completely different games. They will have the same roster, but different focuses. They may even have completely different teams (I would not be surprised if the Tales team is helping with the more single-player focused 3DS one, while the Tekken team is helping more with the actual fighters and balance).

To assume that the resource allocated to this game arein better condition than previously is a bit absurd. There are a lot of pros, but also a lot of cons. As of now we don't know how develpment is going and how they are allocating their resources. This is no special situation. The same rules still apply and to hope for both Quality and Quantity in this situation is dumb. There has to be a balance and this WILL affect the roster imo. Don't agree with me? The I dare you to spend a couple months working as a cook in a busy kitchen. Tell me how long you last..
You're way too pessimistic. I have confidence Sakurai will release another great game, and we will get at least 10 newcomers with minimal cuts (definitely no cuts if DLC happens). And no Brawl is not crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom