• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Right, but I'm referring to the belief that having more automatically means things are better, when in reality it's a distraction from polish that could of been used to fix some really game breaking problems.
Ok, I lied. THIS is my last post of the night.
That's what patches and updates are for.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You're graduating too, Ben? I'll finally be out of my hellish major come May 17th.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Finding a balance between quality and quantity is key. I'm not sure why people are saying it has to be one or the other.

Assume we take the Brawl roster and add ten slots.

45 characters. No too many, but enough.

That's what would satisfy me.
49 you mean.
PT = 3, Zelda = 2 and Samus = 2
Some people try to slip characters up, or half them or... whatever. This is the only way to compare roster sizes that makes sense.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
49 you mean.
PT = 3, Zelda = 2 and Samus = 2
Some people try to slip characters up, or half them or... whatever. This is the only way to compare roster sizes that makes sense.
Alright. 49. I was refering to slots on the select screen. Still. Not too many.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I wouldn't mind changing lucas around to making a status character

otherwise, I wouldn't mind cutting him, getting a character like Isaac who's last chance is this game, and giving lucases buffs to ness
Nuuuuuuu! Lucaaaaaaas! </3

I'm joking, I'm joking. ;)

It's understandable that people are opposed to cuts, I am myself a little bit. If we do get cuts, I'm expecting 3 max...maybe 4. Idk why...lol. Anyway, if Lucas does get cut (though, I don't think it's likely), then I definitely know that I'm cursed; who ever I main gets cut! What will happen if I main Mario in Smash 4? I guess we won't be seeing him come Smash 5. :troll:

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I would rather see Isaac or Ray as this is there last chance, not to mention there is another earthbound rep

battery on the game pad is dying, good night

peeup

Smash Lord
So what your saying is that we should go with the Action 52 route and shovel in a lot of poorly designed content and sit back while people eat up the ****. I mean, there's no point in having anything good if people will just like the fact there are big numbers in front of them, amirite?
Quite frankly... I wouldn't be disappointed. DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi is so much fun not because of balance (obviously) but because you can play as your favorite character, basically no matter who your favorite character is, because they're all there.

Now I don't want Smash Bros to become a cluster**** of Nintendo characters with absolutely zero mind for balance. But I personally favor a big cast with not as great balance instead of a not as big cast with great balance. If Smash 4 doesn't shape up competitively, I can always fall back to Melee or P:M or something. But I'd like to have a game with a big cast to fall back on when I'm not in the mood for competition.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh crap!!! That explains why your name has always been slightly familiar! Wow, I actually remember reading your posts. I was one of those young whipper-snapper posters trying to act like all of the "cool kids."
Oh, I see. Think that's how pretty much everyone was at the time though, and I wish I could say I remember you from there too, but I don't (most of what the place was is kinda a blur to me now). May be for the best though, as I doubt many would want to be remembered by how they were doing those days :p, but I guess it's still nice to be remembered by someone who went to Nsider outside NS2 which I don't really go to anymore, for now at least. Stupid rep system and all. Glad the one here isn't exactly like it.

Ah, I see
wait pokemon theory
mewnew looks like buu, and since it looks young, it would be kid buu
I was the first here to mention him looking like Buu :troll:, although in a different thread. He went from being Frieza-esque to Buu-esque with the tail placement... Pretty cool.

Also, I don't get the beef some of you guys (forget who now) had with some of the Injustice characters earlier, like Raven. Aside from Netherrealm not being the best at doing female face models, that is how she looked in the comics as far as costume and everything, and she was possessed by Trigon in both the comics and cartoon too, so it's nothing new.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Most of the starters are in the top 100....All the water final forms

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Challenging me to do the job of a team that has tons of experience creating new movesets and balancing games in a timely manor hardly proves a point.
Pretty sure Sakurai does (at least on the conceptual level) most of that all on his lonesome. So you can too. :awesome:

Also damn that cool new Mewtwo for giving me so many new pages to wade through when I got on.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Emboar is the ONLY starter final form not in top 100. IGN staff has stupid comments on almost all of them

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Man, this thread moved 7 pages in 7 hours, while I was asleep.

About Mewzora, I repeat, I don't see him getting in before Mewtwo

About cuts, NO! I'll be much happier to see less newcomers and no cuts as opposed to more newcomers at the expense of veterans.

peeup

Smash Lord
Man, this thread moved 7 pages in 7 hours, while I was asleep.

About Mewzora, I repeat, I don't see him getting in before Mewtwo

About cuts, NO! I'll be much happier to see less newcomers and on cuts as opposed to more newcomers at the expense of veterans.
Agreed on cuts.

Disagree about Mewthree. He's an update to Mewtwo, and he's a 6th gen rep. That's two birds with one stone, allowing for one more newcomer.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just thought of something.

IF this is a new form of Mewtwo, I can see it implemented in smash as one of two ways.

If Mewtwo has the ability to change forms by holding a certain item (like Shaymin and Giratina) or being at a certain place (like Deoxsys), he will probably be able to change forms via a special move in smash.

If Mewtwo changes forms when learning a certain move (like Meloetta and Keldeo) I can see it changing forms via a final smash.

That make sense?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I actually want Mew3 to be his final smash.

I wish that episode revealed Sylveon's type as well. (-_-)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Not sure exactly how this would work out, since I'm sure many fighting games have striven to implement a system like this, but since I ASSUME this new form "awakens" during an intense battle, maybe the transformation would be triggered for "doing well" during battle. Giving out a certain amount of damage in a certain amount of time? Who knows.

Doesn't really sound like a good idea though when I think about it. Would still be nice and flashy though~

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The word "reawakening" is apparently a pun of sorts, referring to his assumed role in the movie as well as his sudden reappearance and promotion.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Not sure exactly how this would work out, since I'm sure many fighting games have striven to implement a system like this, but since I ASSUME this new form "awakens" during an intense battle, maybe the transformation would be triggered for "doing well" during battle. Giving out a certain amount of damage in a certain amount of time? Who knows.

Doesn't really sound like a good idea though when I think about it. Would still be nice and flashy though~
It could work if Mewtwo "doing well" doesn't happen often? I think it should be Final Smash material. Because it's probably stronger than Mewtwo himself. I guess a transformation would be okay? Who knows.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You people say he looks like a Zora, but the first thing I thought was Twi'lek.

You all are nerds

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well you see that's why Mewtwo has to suck, so he doesn't transform very often.

Geez Sakurai already thought this out.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Will it acceptable if Mew3 becomes playable and Mewtwo becomes the Final Smash instead? :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well you see that's why Mewtwo has to suck, so he doesn't transform very often.

Geez Sakurai already thought this out.
PM me your skype, since Messenger was killed

bobadz

Smash Ace
The reason mewtwo is in the 16th movie is basicly to promote gen VI. As others have said, this is the reason it's called Mewtwo's reawakening.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because people wanted someone to replace Young Link that would bring an original moveset?

I would know, I was a Toon Link supporter for Brawl. I expected to get Minish Cap/WW Link with a Hurricane Spin attack, Grappling Hook, Hammer, Gust Jar, Four Sword and Leaf.

Instead I got Cloney Mc.Clonester 3.0, You Can (Not) Avoid It.

Sakurai [laugh]

Yeah, **** you too Sakurai...
I didn't mind Toon Link that much in Brawl. But can see why you're dissapointed. I still like Toon Link, and think he'll stay for this time to.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
You think Advance Wars plays like or is similar to Halo?

Obviously, you have not played Halo and/or Advance Wars sir. They are nothing alike.

Now that I'm over the whole Mewthree thing.

Perhaps the is an alternate form akin to Giratina and Shaymin.

If so, I wouldn't be too mad as long as the original Mewtwo was still good. Either way, it could be a cool alternate costume for him.
That's not what I ment. I was talking about the Poke-human thing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The main reason why Manly wants to cut Falco is because he feels as though Falco is an unoriginal clone. Personally I find Falco to be better then Fox in both Melee and (obviously) Brawl, but I'm not going to pick fights with him over opinions.
Seriously, why are you even arguing that because a character is 'good' it deserves to stay? You used this argument to when explaining why Sheik was kept in Brawl, and not Mewtwo. It's easily the worst argument I've ever seen...

So let's get it over with, and let's just remove Yoshi, Bowser, Luigi and Ness cause they have been sucky in all Smash games they're in. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, the StarFox trio is fine. And doesn't need Krystal. Krystal, while being a good addtion just doesn't deserve it more than Falco or Wolf. If she's to be in another StarFox game, I'd sure want her in. But not now.

Since64

Smash Cadet
Seriously, why are you even arguing that because a character is 'good' it deserves to stay? You used this argument to when explaining why Sheik was kept in Brawl, and not Mewtwo. It's easily the worst argument I've ever seen...

So let's get it over with, and let's just remove Yoshi, Bowser, Luigi and Ness cause they have been sucky in all Smash games they're in. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, the StarFox trio is fine. And doesn't need Krystal. Krystal, while being a good addtion just doesn't deserve it more than Falco or Wolf. If she's to be in another StarFox game, I'd sure want her in. But not now.
While I MOSTLY agree with you. The star fox trio is a bit esoteric, if Krystal WERE in the game it would give a new moveset to the StarFox characters, which would be appreciated

Also, do you know who I WANT but is NEVER gonna happen? Ashley from WarioWare. Not in a billion years, but it would be awesome.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While I MOSTLY agree with you. The star fox trio is a bit esoteric, if Krystal WERE in the game it would give a new moveset to the StarFox characters, which would be appreciated
That would be true, but I see no real good reason for them to replace either Falco or Wolf for Krystal. If they tweaked both Falco and Wolf just a little bit more in their special moves there'd be nothing to complain about.

Since64

Smash Cadet
That would be true, but I see no real good reason for them to replace either Falco or Wolf for Krystal. If they tweaked both Falco and Wolf just a little bit more in their special moves there'd be nothing to complain about.
Or at LEAST a new final smash, Sweet god! Landmaster sucked in StarFox 64 and it sucks in brawl! Also StarWolf Didn't have one in any of the games I've played!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Also, do you know who I WANT but is NEVER gonna happen? Ashley from WarioWare. Not in a billion years, but it would be awesome.
Welcome, fellow Ashley supporter.:)

Btw, why do you say it's not gonna happen in a billion years?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Or at LEAST a new final smash, Sweet god! Landmaster sucked in StarFox 64 and it sucks in brawl! Also StarWolf Didn't have one in any of the games I've played!
I guess Wolf just wanted to have fun with that thang. :wolf:

I hope Falco would get something like Snake's Final Smash, but with an Arwing. Or Wolf would get that Final Smash, and Falco keeps the Landmasta. Orrrr, they all shoot **** up with their Arwings / Wolfen and we still have 3 of the same Final Smashes.

Since64

Smash Cadet
First of all, if they are going to add a new WarioWare character it's going to be Mona, Secondly I don't think they will be adding ANY new WarioWare chars, They're not popular enough.

But who knows? I thought DeDeDe was never gonna happen, and I was wrong.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
First of all, if they are going to add a new WarioWare character it's going to be Mona, Secondly I don't think they will be adding ANY new WarioWare chars, They're not popular enough.
Don't jump the gun yet. Ashley is the currently most popular WarioWare character in Japan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

But who knows? I thought DeDeDe was never gonna happen, and I was wrong.
King Dedede was pretty much one of the most popular choices back in the pre-Brawl days along with Sonic and Diddy.

And I personally feel Ashley could be far more unique than Mona.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Honestly, I don't think we should take popularity in very high regard, since we may always have unexpected surprises (Ice Climbers in Melee, anyone?).

However, I am not saying that popularity is not important, in fact, it is and has influenced Sakurai in adding certain characters (Pit and Sonic in Brawl).

Since64

Smash Cadet
Don't jump the gun yet. Ashley is the currently most popular WarioWare character in Japan.
Hmm. Well that's how Lucas got in. Fingers crossed!

Well, Lucas also got in because the developer was a huge fan of Mother 3, same thing with pit.

Oh god! I've just had a horrifying thought! KID ICARUS UPRISING CHARS! They'll be entertaining to a point, but they'll never shut up!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kid Icarus: Uprising characters were memorable. I'd like to have Pit and other possible KI newcomers to have a Smash Taunt like the Star Fox trio and Snake have. I can totally see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom