• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Sakurai cites popularity when its consistent with what he added. Not every character he put into smash was plucked out of some poll. And to say a character's popularity is the only reason he added them is completely naive.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
@gingerbread ya, but when a character is the number one character world wide, it's pretty safe to say he's getting in on popularity.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai cites popularity when its consistent with what he added. Not every character hes put into smash was plucked out of some poll. And to say a character's popularity is the only reason he added them is completely naive.
No one has said that he only picks characters based off of popularity. However, I would say at least 2/3 of Brawl's characters were popularly requested characters for that game.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Seeing the old Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 characte polls on Capcom Unity make me wish Nsider was still around.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai cites popularity when its consistent with what he added. Not every character hes put into smash was plucked out of some poll. And to say a character's popularity is the only reason he added them is completely naive.
This. I didn't see Dr. Mario, Mr. Game & Watch, Pichu, or Roy anywhere on the Melee poll.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I would say for Brawl's roster, the only ones that were not "popularly requested" were Snake, Zero Suit Samus, ROB, and Pokemon Trainer to an extent (in the pre-Melee poll "Ash" was a popular choice, and both Squirtle and Charizard are incredibly popular Pokemon, and Charizard was a highly requested Pokemon even prior to Melee's announcement).

D

Deleted member

I was more or less referring to threads like these: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/65894502

I don't understand what's the big deal about Mewtwo's form is. If design of a form is enough for a character to drop support for a character, that's pretty sad.
Ahh, well GameFAQs is full of dumb people man. That's like trying to figure out HOW it could be possible that Ryan William Johnson has however many subscribers he has now...

Anyway, that aside. You seem to be a big fan of anime. I sorta see you as the Cool-Suave pretty boy, that doesn't talk much and gets all the ladies... Does Sexyback play when you walk into a room?

(I'm talking about the drawings for the users ITT btw)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only person that thinks "Mewnew" looks like Geigue from Mother? Anyone?

Well regardless, I do like the design of "Mewnew" more then Mewtwo.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Man I'm still confused over what people are now expecting. It really doesn't help that we don't know if whatever was revealed today is a new form or a new Pokemon, also doesn't help that people aren't very descriptive in their posts especially when trolling.

Do people expect Mewtwo to get in, for whatever was revealed to get in, for whatever was revealed to be Mewtwo's Final Smash, that both Mewtwo and whatever was revealed are the same but Mewtwo/whatever was revealed will be the default, whether or not people like Mewtwo anymore, whether or not people like whatever was revealed? THIS IS SO CONFUSING! :confused: :dizzy:

I honestly don't think I can properly explain what I think will happen either. I can't tell what specific character we're talking about anymore.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai cites popularity when its consistent with what he added. Not every character he put into smash was plucked out of some poll. And to say a character's popularity is the only reason he added them is completely naive.
Just gonna quote you so people can get this through their goddamn heads.

SMASH IS NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST!!!

If it was Ridley would have been in since Melee/Brawl, and Banjo would have been in in Melee.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, that aside. You seem to be a big fan of anime. I sorta see you as the Cool-Suave pretty boy, that doesn't talk much and gets all the ladies... Does Sexyback play when you walk into a room?

(I'm talking about the drawings for the users ITT btw)
Sexyback? Never heard of that.

And yeah, I like anime and manga but never really bought much of it (just watched it on TV). I do plan on starting though as a replacement for video games and part of the reason why I'm learning 日本語 (Japanese) is to watch anime and read manga in 日本語 (one manga I've been looking at getting in 火の鳥 (Hi No Tori), mainly because the Japanese 2009 re-print are not as insanely expensive as some of the English volumes, plus its basically the original Osamu Tezuka version).

I do tend to prefer shonen though. Stuff like Dragon Ball/Yu Yu Hakusho (not Naruto/Bleach).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Smash isn't a popularity contest, but it tends to add popular characters. It's a definitely factor, just not the only factor.

D

Deleted member

He's popular. That's all it boils down to. Whether he is number one or number ten, he's in the list. That's all that matters at this point. It doesn't take a genius to conclude that.
He's popular... But how does he fare up against Lucario and the New Guy?? Also, it think we should be sampling 8-14 year olds as well. Not grown adults and teenagers. THAT is a fair poll.

Also, if he's so popular who's to say he won't get in in his NEW form?

Nah. That's more my thing, Manly, only it's to the tune of Smooth Criminal by MJ.

Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal is my favorite MJ song and video. Just wanted to make sure you knew you had GOD-TASTE in music. GOAT Pop Song and Peerless Music video, nothing will ever match it.

Anyway, observation noted!

peeup

Smash Lord
Was the only thing we learned from that Pokemon thing today that Mewthree exists? Did we learn anything about any other pokemon? Or Sylveon?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If it was Ridley would have been in since Melee/Brawl, and Banjo would have been in in Melee.
I am pretty much the original Ridley supporter. Ridley was definitely not in the Top 5 most wanted characters for pre-Melee. Secondly, Ridley's support for pre-Melee only manifested after the E3 2001 trailer in May 2001. By then Sakurai was done adding characters to the roster (with the possible exception of a clone or two). So Ridley having popularity then did not mean much (especially considering the Metroid series was still on hiatus then). Not to mention, Ridley's pre-Melee popularity was mostly a Western phenomenon .

As for Banjo, like with Ridley, he was not in the Top 5 either, and there was also the problems about the future of Rare going on at that time. Rare even mentioned themselves that there was going to be trophies of various Rare made characters (aside from DK) be in Melee, but things came apart. So if Sakurai (or some other Nintendo higher-up) said no to Rare's trophy suggestions (probably based off of Rare being a second-party at the time, and/or the rumors of the buyout by Microsoft), then I highly doubt a playable position would have been in the cards.

D

Deleted member

Sexyback? Never heard of that.

And yeah, I like anime and manga but never really bought much of it (just watched it on TV). I do plan on starting though as a replacement for video games and part of the reason why I'm learning 日本語 (Japanese) is to watch anime and read manga in 日本語 (one manga I've been looking at getting in 火の鳥 (Hi No Tori), mainly because the Japanese 2009 re-print are not as insanely expensive as some of the English volumes, plus its basically the original Osamu Tezuka version).

I do tend to prefer shonen though. Stuff like Dragon Ball/Yu Yu Hakusho (not Naruto/Bleach).
SexyBack:

It was a reference to YuGiOh Abridged. It's Duke Devlin's theme. Also, I know some moonspeak too, so worries man, I undertand the gibberish. Hahaha.

Hmm, then you're harder to pin down... Are you somewhat shy? Like, irl I mean.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was the only thing we learned from that Pokemon thing today that Mewthree exists? Did we learn anything about any other pokemon? Or Sylveon?
I'm going to repost this

It's funny people are disappointed this was the big reveal. They wouldn't act like this if it hadn't been leaked.

This IS a big reveal. They are just spoiled

D

Deleted member

ManlySpirit said:
He's popular... But how does he fare up against Lucario and the New Guy?? Also, it think we should be sampling 8-14 year olds as well. Not grown adults and teenagers. THAT is a fair poll.

There was an IGN poll in April, 2011 that had Mewtwo at #2 and had over ten million votes. Lucario was in the 30s in comparison and Zoroark in the 60s.

Also, thoughts on Krystal getting in Smash 4?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Look into seinen too. It's basically "grown up" shounen that is more character driven if you're into that sort of thing. The art style is generally more realistic.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Was it really that bad?
Yes, in a gloriously nostalgic kind of way. That place was so ugly it was beautiful. How I miss those days... And my rank...

Lucario holds his own and the new guy is an extension of Mewtwo as far as we know. So in the end what does it really matter? We have Lucario, we have psychic floating cat fetus, which is what most of us were wanting and expecting to begin with. Whether Mewtwo's tail is attached to his head or his pelvic region, I really don't care.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I agree, but was Wolf really last minute?
He was either the last or second-to-last character added. In the final co-op event match, Wolf is listed after both Snake and Sonic, and he is the only character within the game's coding not to have had an unique victory theme planned (an idea that was scrapped during Brawl's development).

D

Deleted member

Look into seinen too. It's basically "grown up" shounen that is more character driven if you're into that sort of thing. The art style is generally more realistic.
I plan on looking at seinen eventually (as well as shoujo and maybe josei as well). Message to Adolf is one seinen manga I'm planning to read eventually.
ManlySpirit said:
Hmm, then you're harder to pin down... Are you somewhat shy? Like, irl I mean.
My family and friends say I'm outgoing, but I noticed that I mainly communicate with others throughout the Internet. I also notice that I don't really ask to go out with friends very often and get most of my entertainment out of my electronic devices.

So, kinda conflicted with that question, although I don't try to shy away from new people.

@ChronoBound: The question was directed at ManlySpirit.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I agree, but was Wolf really last minute?
Judging from the scrap data, it looks like he was specifically a last minute revived character. He is the only character that doesn't have a scrapped personal theme. Meanwhile, Mewtwo and Roy did.

D

Deleted member

There was an IGN poll in April, 2011 that had Mewtwo at #2 and had over ten million votes. Lucario was in the 30s in comparison and Zoroark in the 60s.

Also, thoughts on Krystal getting in Smash 4?
Well considering there was a poll on Gamestop about the Greatest Vidya Sidekick which was won by Launchpad and Einstien I really would take that with a grain of salt. I know it was hijacked, but it was hijacked to prove how fickle the polls on those sites are.

As for Krystal, I don't support her personally. Not a big Starfox fan, though I loved 64 and Assault. I can understand the appeal, and respect it, but she's not a character I particularly care for. As for her chances...

About as low as Lyn's. In other words, slim to none.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I plan on looking at seinen eventually (as well as shoujo and maybe josei as well). Message to Adolf is one seinen manga I'm planning to read eventually.My family and friends say I'm outgoing, but I noticed that I mainly communicate with others throughout the Internet. I also notice that I don't really ask to go out with friends very often and get most of my entertainment out of my electronic devices.

So, kinda conflicted with that question, although I don't try to shy away from new people.

@ChronoBound: The question was directed at ManlySpirit.
My first seinen was Azumanga Daioh, a total classic and I'd recommend it as a gateway anime.

Your preferences for communication may not matter all that much. I typically chat online because most people around me are usually boring or it's too inconvenient to go to their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom