• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The First and Second generation of Pokemon were developed simultaneously, that's why they look homogenous.
[citation needed]

Not all of the Gen 2 Pokemon were developed along the Gen 1 ones. Only half (50) were.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL @ people saying they would accept Mewthree in Smash as long as they got Mewtwo, too. Sounds like we've gone past Denial and Anger and we're now onto the Bargaining stage. :troll:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well aslong Lugia and Ho-oh are meant to be Gen 1 legendaries it's ok :)...
I'm not sure what your method of thinking is here.

LOL @ people saying they would accept Mewthree in Smash as long as they got Mewtwo, too. Sounds like we've gone past Denial and Anger and we're now onto the Bargaining stage. :troll:
Well, if it is a new form of Mewtwo, why not have both forms?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No the older design is more 'popular' because the older fans can't let go of MUH CHILDHOOD.
So? You can say the same thing about a lot of other things in life, but that does not take away from their popularity.

D

Deleted member

I can't wait for the depression stage. Fanboy tears are delicious.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
No the older design is more 'popular' because the older fans can't let go of MUH CHILDHOOD.

The new designs are just fine, this is no Nuts and Bolts so people shouldn't complain.
I never said the new designs or characters were bad. Sure, there are some people that bash new stuff because they have their nostalgia filter turned up to eleven. But that doesn't mean we should then say that all the old stuff is crap or that the new stuff is automatically better.

Also, everyone knows Chrom is much better than Roy...

...wait for it...
Not touching that with a 10k foot pole.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I want more info on it before I decide who I want more in smash.

D

Deleted member

So? You can say the same thing about a lot of other things in life, but that does not take away from their popularity.
It does actually, because the 'Popularity' is biased and nearsighted. It is only sampling a portion of the population. It's basic statistics if you think about it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I remember just yesterday some people here were saying that Mewthree was fake. /denial

And now we have some people who seem butthurt that Mewthree is actually real. /anger

And we also have some people saying they would like to have both Mewtwo and Mewthree. /bargaining

:troll:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Is it really rose-colored glasses so much as recognizing and not immediately falling for a pattern that has existed for years with new Pokemon? Seems like the glasses excuse is only coming up because Mewtwo is hands down the most wanted Nintendo character for SSB4 (based on our extensive sampling and observation of two countries' fanbases).

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Man, am I the only one who's getting a tad confused over this Mewtwo stuff? I can't tell whether or not people want/think we're getting Mewtwo or this new form/Mewthree. All this lame trolling certainly doesn't help anything.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I remember just yesterday some people here were saying that Mewthree was fake. /denial
Only because the poster looked fake.

And now we have some people who seem butthurt that Mewthree is actually real. /anger
I haven't seen much of that on this board

And we also have some people saying they would like to have both Mewtwo and Mewthree. /bargaining

:troll:
In a way yes but, it really depends. Some think this will make him more useable in tournaments.

Man, am I the only one who's getting a tad confused over this Mewtwo stuff? I can't tell whether or not people want/think we're getting Mewtwo or this new form/Mewthree. All this lame trolling certainly doesn't help anything.
No

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It does actually, because the 'Popularity' is biased and nearsighted. It is only sampling a portion of the population. It's basic statistics if you think about it.
No... Just no. As far as statistics is concerned, I'm not even going into that because it's moot without any quantifiable data. Unless you want to qualify Shortie's poll.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well most people want both IF its a new form.

That's all I can really get. The rest is too jumbled to tell.

D

Deleted member

I am as well. I'm especially confused about how there are some people dropping Mewtwo support over this possibly being a new design, which is a seriously lame reason.

Its still Mewtwo (or a varation of it). Does it honestly matter what it looks like as long as it gets in?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Man, am I the only one who's getting a tad confused over this Mewtwo stuff? I can't tell whether or not people want/think we're getting Mewtwo or this new form/Mewthree.
I bet it will be both. It will turn into another argument between people who want to cling to the old and people who want to bring in the new.

And there of course will be the people suggesting alternate costumes as a compromise in the middle.

D

Deleted member

I bet it will be both. It will turn into another argument between people who want to cling to the old and people who want to bring in the new.

And there of course will be the people suggesting alternate costumes as a compromise in the middle.
A better compromise would be for the original Mewtwo to be playable while the form becomes a Final Smash (assuming it is a form, which I think it is).

@Arcadenik: We know the design is real, but we don't know whenever or not its Mewthree. It could be a form of Mewtwo for all we know.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is kinda funny how some people used to be so sure and very confident that Mewtwo was a shoe-in for Smash 4 for 5 years... and then within a couple hours today, he's suddenly not a shoe-in because he finally got competition...a potential spiritual successor in Mewthree (kinda like the whole Sheik vs. Impa drama all over again). :laugh: :awesome: :troll:

bobadz

Smash Ace
Alot of people underestimate how popular Mewtwo still is. He still has a ton merchandise, and many people who stopped watching the anime are interested in the new movie solely because Mewtwo's in it.

D

Deleted member

No... Just no. As far as statistics is concerned, I'm not even going into that because it's moot without any quantifiable data. Unless you want to qualify Shortie's poll.
No, Shortie's poll is also too small a sample. The fact remains that because the only people interested in picking characters are Smash fans you will ALWAYS get a limited sample pool.

Shortie's poll would be a valid source of proof for "undeniable popularity" if it had a sample of at least a million.

Not sure if you've ever taken statistics but to assume that because a sample pool of 1000 has certain results, that a sample of 1,000,000 will have the same results is WRONG. It is a mathematical mistake, you cannot do that and expect to be taken seriously. That's not a large enough sample, and you cannot extrapolate it as it's not diverse enough, AND there is no control group. Despite Shortie's efforts many people still haven't even heard of the poll, and even more don't care to vote (SRK and Dustloop for example).

Thus, it all boils down to, the "this character is the most popular or most requested character in Smash" is a very biased and nearsighted statement, and overall a very moot arguement in the grand scheme of things.

If you wanna convince me, show me that 1,000,000 people wanna see Mewtwo and not this thing in Smash. THEN, I will agree with that statement.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm all for either form. I think its a bit redundant to have both. Kind of like having Pichu and Pikachu.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
We have two links and two marios and two electric rodents, no one is going to care if we get two psychic cats

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Thus, it all boils down to, the "this character is the most popular or most requested character in Smash" is a very biased and nearsighted statement, and overall a very moot arguement in the grand scheme of things.
Sakurai HIMSELF has cited character popularity. Do you really think a character like Pit was recognizable to casual gamers prior to his inclusion in Brawl? Sakurai mentioned that he included Pit because he was a popular character to include by both Japanese and Western Smash Bros. fans.

He even used polls with smaller population samples (at least for Melee) to base some of his character decisions.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It is kinda funny how some people used to be so sure and very confident that Mewtwo was a shoe-in for Smash 4 for 5 years... and then within a couple hours today, he's suddenly not a shoe-in because he finally got competition...a potential spiritual successor in Mewthree (kinda like the whole Sheik vs. Impa drama all over again). :laugh: :awesome: :troll:
Well Mewtwo and Lucario, and then Roy and Ike give us actual reason to worry about new characters.

D

Deleted member

I am as well. I'm especially confused about how there are some people dropping Mewtwo support over this possibly being a new design, which is a seriously lame reason.

Its still Mewtwo (or a varation of it). Does it honestly matter what it looks like as long as it gets in?
I never supported Mewtwo, I just expected him.

Now, I have a reason to fling **** and frustrate the fans. tbh, I DO prefer this form over the original though, I was never a fan of Mewtwo's original design.

Real Talk though, the possibility of this being a new form rather than Mewthree, seems more likely to me.

Simply going by the color schemes. Mew is Pink, Mewtwo is Purple and white, this one is also Purple and White. If it were Mewthree I felt they would have used a different color scheme, just going by design alone.

That being said, I like the ides of this Form being playable or an ALT. Costume for Mewtwo. Or vice-versa.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm all for either form. I think its a bit redundant to have both. Kind of like having Pichu and Pikachu.
Exactly why I am more than willing to take Mewtwo OR Mewthree. I don't really care which one... in my eyes, they are pretty much the same, just different tail placements.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
We have two links and two marios and two electric rodents, no one is going to care if we get two psychic cats
Except those guys get entire games dedicated to them. There are both normal zelda games and toon zelda game. That makes them worthy of another character. There are not, however, Mewtwo and Mewthree games.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Someone should post a picture of mewtwo and a picture of mewnew so we can compare them side by side

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I never supported Mewtwo, I just expected him.

Now, I have a reason to fling **** and frustrate the fans. tbh, I DO prefer this form over the original though, I was never a fan of Mewtwo's original design.

Real Talk though, the possibility of this being a new form rather than Mewthree, seems more likely to me.

Simply going by the color schemes. Mew is Pink, Mewtwo is Purple and white, this one is also Purple and White. If it were Mewthree I felt they would have used a different color scheme, just going by design alone.

That being said, I like the ides of this Form being playable or an ALT. Costume for Mewtwo. Or vice-versa.
Exactly my sentiments. I just passively supported Mewtwo but deep down, I wanted a new Pokemon like Zoroark, Pokemon Trainer Gold, or even Meowth. If Mewthree is "new Pokemon" even if it is just Mewtwo with its tail on its head, then fine with me. :troll:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah well, for any real Mewtwo fan, this should be a win-win situation.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just so you guy's know. I'd be more than happy with either form. I mean I was super excited when I found out that Mewzora was actually real today in case you didn't see my post a number of pages back. Even if Mewtwo doesn't return and instead Mewzora shows up. Yes I'd be a little bummed that my Melee main didn't return yet again. I will still play the heck out of Mewzora and kick butt with him like I did with Mewtwo and Toon Link in Melee and Brawl respectively. (of course assuming Professor Layton doesn't become playable, else I'd mainly main him instead and Mewzora becomes my secondary) But if Mewtwo and Mewzora are the same pokemon I see little reason why they both cant be playable in form of a transformation in one way or another. in order to please both fans. Mewzora is great, Mewtwo or no Mewtwo and I'm looking forward to play as him in smash if he is confirmed. As well as catching him in Pokemon X & Y.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No, Shortie's poll is also too small a sample. The fact remains that because the only people interested in picking characters are Smash fans you will ALWAYS get a limited sample pool.

Shortie's poll would be a valid source of proof for "undeniable popularity" if it had a sample of at least a million.
Melee's official poll results had less votes than there have been in Short's poll. Scientific accuracy is not the issue. The whole point is to get a general idea of who is and who is not popular. You can look at any poll for Super Smash Bros in the past.

Not sure if you've ever taken statistics but to assume that because a sample pool of 1000 has certain results, that a sample of 1,000,000 will have the same results is WRONG. It is a mathematical mistake, you cannot do that and expect to be taken seriously. That's not a large enough sample, and you cannot extrapolate it as it's not diverse enough, AND there is no control group. Despite Shortie's efforts many people still haven't even heard of the poll, and even more don't care to vote (SRK and Dustloop for example).
I know full well how statistics work.

He's popular. That's all it boils down to. Whether he is number one or number ten, he's in the list. That's all that matters at this point. It doesn't take a genius to conclude that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom