• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
People will always want more characters. I'm sure the amount will lessen and lessen with time however.
As long as Pokemon exists there always be requested characters. There will always be some anthropomorphic feline/canine pseudo-legendary Pokemon that someone wants...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Brawl was definitely the peak, addition-amount-wise. Sakurai would be smart to start easing people into accepting getting smaller amounts of newcomers than previous games. He probably will..
Oh nononononono.

If Brawl went Sakurai's way, we would have had six more characters (Possibly seven)

There's no real reason other than not getting your hopes up to believe this roster will give us the least amount of characters. It's pretty clear Skurai likes beefing out rosters.

It's kinda funny just how many characters are better suited for NPC/Cameo roles. Can't say I agree with all the one's you've listed here, but I'm not interested in a debate over 1 or 2 characters.
Well I mean I listed about five characters I wanna see playable as NPC's, so. I was more or less just going for general appeal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wait do you mean actual characters or just the amount of characters who appear on the select screen? Transformation/Switching characters make things so confusing.
Just the amount of slots on the character select screen, not the total amount of characters. Transformations do make things more confusing, probably should've specified, my bad. Embarrass

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just the amount of slots on the character select screen, not the total amount of characters. Transformations do make things more confusing, probably should've specified, my bad. Embarrass
Thought you were a gambling addict like Toise for a second there. "Slots" are so silly.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh nononononono.

If Brawl went Sakurai's way, we would have had six more characters (Possibly seven)

There's no real reason other than not getting your hopes up to believe this roster will give us the least amount of characters. It's pretty clear Skurai likes beefing out rosters.
Well the fact that Sakurai said he's "reaching the limit on what's feasible" and used fifty characters specifically as something he could possibly do but admitted might not happen are pretty decent indicators that there's a good chance we won't see as many additions this time around.

And I don't think it'll necessarily give us the least amount of characters, just fewer than Brawl.

Thought you were a gambling addict like Toise for a second there. "Slots" are so silly.
Maybe I use the words "slots" because I'm a gambling addict... :awesome:

Nah, I'd go broke in a second. :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well the fact that Sakurai said he's "reaching the limit on what's feasible" and used fifty characters specifically as something he could possibly do but admitted might not happen are pretty decent indicators that there's a good chance we won't see as many additions this time around.
Yeah, Sakurai says a lot of things. I find it funny he could say such things (because he's obviously reffering to balancing issues) when he tends to make items the "balancing factor". By his logic, we could probably have 60+ characters if the standard for balancing is items on medium,4 players, with random levels.

Before I head off to bed, I found this on Serebii's forums, seems that the new Mewtwo form was fake.
4chan has been begging people to "say they made the fake poster" ever since it was leaked, so, who knows. I wouldn't jump to ANY conclusion just yet. Someone could simply be saying this.

I remember the quote (from WAY back in '11) going something like "I want to something besides just adding up to 50 characters. I honestly expect slightly more, or slightly less than 50. If we stick to 11-12 additions, we'll be at 50-51, and that seems like a number Sakurai may settle on.
Assuming we don't get any cuts.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Before I head off to bed, I found this on Serebii's forums, seems that the new Mewtwo form was fake.
Eh, I'd care more but we got some good fun out of it...With the whole Mewchu/ Mewrio/ Mewgondorf thing

We'll find out the new pokemon soon enough anyway

He spent "quite a bit of money" on that ****...so, woo hoo? Some people talked about it...He wins?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

And I don't think it'll necessarily give us the least amount of characters, just fewer than Brawl.

I remember the quote (from WAY back in '11) going something like "I want to something besides just adding up to 50 characters. I honestly expect slightly more, or slightly less than 50. If we stick to 11-12 additions, we'll be at 50-51, and that seems like a number Sakurai may settle on.

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
Oh nononononono.

Not to mention that Smash 64 planned to have fifteen characters and that even with Bowser, Mewtwo and King Dedede cut, we still got twelve.

Plus there are still around twenty candidate that are plausible additions. Which isn't too much, but in comparison to what will be the bone-dry Smash 5 character pool, its still more than enough for Sakurai to deal with.

Its funny how when we think about it, Brawl could have gotten twenty-one to twenty-two new characters had everything gone Sakurai's way (counting Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik as separate). Granted, there's always the possibility of a full-on reboot, but unless that happens, I really don't see us getting less than forty-nine characters (transformations included).

I think we'll see somewhere between fifty-one and fifty-three characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Phew. I got used to the new form, and really wouldn't have cared much either way, but I prefer my Mewtwo's head tailless. Was a good fake though, credit to him.

Was more excited about the new Pokemon this weekend anyway.

Though Shortie has a point. This guy doesn't really have any proof these are his fakes. Oh well, we'll see soon enough.

It was that he didn't have to limit himself to either adding 50 characters or focus on other gameplay elements IIRC (I should just go find the article... meh :p). Counting transformations, I agree we might see a few more, but I still think we're going to get an overall decrease from Brawl.

peeup

Smash Lord
Sakurai has no shortage of characters he could make playable. And honestly, all I want from the next Smash game is more characters. Sure, throw in new mechanics. Great, give us wavedashing back. Cool, I'll take an interesting story mode. But when you really get down to it, the replay value of a fighting game, for me at least, comes in a large cast of interesting characters. I will be disappointed if Smash 4 does not have cerca 50 characters, and I think there's no reason for it not to. Sakurai has literally hundreds of good, viable options. Sure, some are betters. I'll take the dregs in Smash 5. I don't care.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Judging at all the emoticons you use, I'm guessing you don't have a good poker face to be one either. :p :troll:

4chan has been begging people to "say they made the fake poster" ever since it was leaked, so, who knows. I wouldn't jump to ANY conclusion just yet. Someone could simply be saying this.
Looking back at the pictures, I think the poster board and T-Shirt mentions hold up.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And I was just starting to like Zoratwo.

Oh well. I'll wait till this weekend to see what's happening for sure.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The decrease of newcomers is actually a bit of a blessing in disguise, considering that because an emphasis on new characters is shrinking, an emphasis on polishing out the balance is growing. People may not think it, but every time a new character is added the task of re-testing everything is preformed in order to make sure nothing game breaking happens. In other words, with less new characters there will a decrease in this practice and would in theory help out with the balance, since most of the characters are familiar to the developers with their strengths and weaknesses.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It was that he didn't have to limit himself to either adding 50 characters or focus on other gameplay elements IIRC (I should just go find the article... meh :p). Counting transformations, I agree we might see a few more, but I still think we're going to get an overall decrease from Brawl.
Yeah, and I think that's primarily due to the fact that we had what? 16-17 new additions in Brawl? I think we all generally agree upon maximum 12ish characters, give or take a few specific "I WANT THIS" characters. Seems logical enough. 10-12 is a good number to hope and shoot for, I really think so.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Looking back at the pictures, I think the poster board and T-Shirt mentions hold up.

Well, regardless I personally don't give two ****s. I'm still betting on Gen VI being pretty revolutionary. Ya know, with the new type being added and all. ;)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, regardless I personally don't give two ****s. I'm still betting on Gen IV being pretty revolutionary. Ya know, with the new type being added and all. ;)
I actually did like generation IV. It had some awesome pokemon such as Vespiquen which became one of my favorites

but it wasn't THAT revolutionary

D

Deleted member

Yeah, and I think that's primarily due to the fact that we had what? 16-17 new additions in Brawl? I think we all generally agree upon maximum 12ish characters, give or take a few specific "I WANT THIS" characters. Seems logical enough. 10-12 is a good number to hope and shoot for, I really think so.
We got eighteen characters in Brawl, transformation included.

SSB4 Challenge/Discussion #11: The Fate Of Red

Red is the very first Pokemon trainer you could ever play as in the Pokemon series. He starred in the games for Generation 1 (including the remakes) and was a boss battle in various other generations, most notably Generation 2 when you face him in the Mt. Silver Cave. After so many games, he is still one of the most popular trainers to have surfaced from the series, and was the basis for the lead character in the anime (Ash Ketchum/Satoshi).

In Super Smash Bros Brawl, the Pokemon Trainer was finally included as a character and Red was the one chosen for the job. The Pokemon he used were Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. When you look at them, they are some of the most popular Pokemon in the series as well.

We are now on our way to Super Smash Bros 4 for the Wii U and 3DS and there will be both characters returning and newcomers coming in. However, it is possible that characters from Brawl might not return, and that could include Red.

The challenge here is this, what percent of a chance do you feel Red will return for Super Smash Bros 4? Why did you choose your answer? Give reason for why it is as high or as low as you chose.

Enjoy

My answer:

Around 70-80%

I would not say he has a hundred percent chance of returning but it wouldn't be super low either. Red does have popularity, in both him and his Pokemon, but we wouldn't even be sure that if he does return it would be with the same Pokemon. The developers could very well change it up. On top of that, there are four more generations that could be looked at for a potential new trainer to add to the roster, whether that be to replace Red or add alongside him. We also have a new Generation 6 coming out at the end of the year so there is the possibility of that even being looked at for a trainer. With this much competition it could go either way and that is why I say his chances are within the seventy-eighty percent range.

Still likely, but no guarantee.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I actually did like generation IV. It had some awesome pokemon such as Vespiquen which became one of my favorites

but it wasn't THAT revolutionary
I thought it was revolutionary, due to the fact it introduced the physical/special split. It might not sound like much, but a lot of Pokemon really appreciated it.

The decrease of newcomers is actually a bit of a blessing in disguise, considering that because an emphasis on new characters is shrinking, an emphasis on polishing out the balance is growing. People may not think it, but every time a new character is added the task of re-testing everything is preformed in order to make sure nothing game breaking happens. In other words, with less new characters there will a decrease in this practice and would in theory help out with the balance, since most of the characters are familiar to the developers with their strengths and weaknesses.
And even if, there is always DLC

Which if there is some, and we should expect there to be, characters would be included in it

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The challenge here is this, what percent of a chance do you feel Red will return for Super Smash Bros 4? Why did you choose your answer? Give reason for why it is as high or as low as you chose.
95%. Red/Kanto Trainer is the most iconic of all the trainers, with the most iconic and popular of all the starters. There was a reason he was chosen even when he was no longer the most recent Trainer, and Gen V and VI won't change that.

But am I to assume this means you've finally realized Red is much more likely to return than Gold is to be added? Thank gawd.

Judging at all the emoticons you use, I'm guessing you don't have a good poker face to be one either. :p :troll:
Yeah, I have tells upon tells upon tells. That's why I stick to losing random games of chance. :laugh:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I thought it was revolutionary, due to the fact it introduced the physical/special split. It might not sound like much, but a lot of Pokemon really appreciated it.
The special/physical split was the best thing to ever happen to the Pokemon games. Barring that however, I have to say Gen 4 had the most unimpressive lineup. (Barring starters, and in my opinion, Bronzong and Garchomp. Bronzong's my man.) Gen 5 has some of my absolute favorite designs, in contrast.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
@dragon Why do I think red getting replaced is laughable, because
A. Most reoccuring trainer
B. Charizard is the most popular pokemon of all time
C. All three stages of the gen 1 starters are found on the poll (typhlosion has three, no other pokemon starter has there final stage
D. On the pokemon starter pole, charmander got 35% of the vote, Squirtle got 16%, Bulbasaur and Pikachu (who was your starter in pokemon yellow) Got 8%, Cydiquil got 7%, Todadile got 5%, everyone else is 3% or lower
E. Ash, the main character of the pokemon cartoon (now in its 17 season and getting its 16th movie, is based off Red,
sources
http://www.ign.com/top/pokemon
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/11/battle-of-the-pokemon-starters

Edit: I was making this before I saw your challeng so I'm going 99%

D

Deleted member

DragonSniperNintendo said:
$100 bucks that Red returns.

Willing to bet this towards anyone who feel as Red will get replaced (not necessarily you).

I'm beyond confident that Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Red are going to be in.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why is the squirtle line doomed to be the second favorite?

Blastoise is so much cooler than Charizard

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Red's not being replaced. Why? Because they're not going to force players who play PT to learn a completely different playstyle with different Pokemon. That's why. Clone characters? Sure, but they did their best in Brawl to Luigi-fy the clone characters, and they're not going to just arbitrarily replace a unique character just because another trainer is more "relevant" (even though they aren't.) However, this discussion is only going to lead to bad things, I can feel it. It's another "relevancy" argument, I'm sure.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I take a break from this forum, and I see the usual suspects are ****-talking about me. Stay classy. I have had a lot **** to take care of in the real world, so I am not allowed to have "no laifu" like the majority of people here.

It also seems Shortie has had a beef about Roy lately. I wonder what his case is.

Anyway, I don't know why people are tying anime memes to me considering I have absolutely no interest in it.

Lastly, about the killing FE characters. I killed Lyn, Micaiah, and Tharja with Falaflame (the ph1rest of ph1r3 in the FE universe), so there is no remains for even the likes of Manly and DragonSniper to mourn over their dead waifus. Like anyone is going to miss a weak tutorial lord, a Mary Sue, and an ecchi character anyway. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, I could see why people would think of removing Red, because they believe it would help free up space for new Pokemon characters to be on the roster.

Edit: Oh hey it's a Chrono.

95%. Red/Kanto Trainer is the most iconic of all the trainers, with the most iconic and popular of all the starters. There was a reason he was chosen even when he was no longer the most recent Trainer, and Gen V and VI won't change that.

But am I to assume this means you've finally realized Red is much more likely to return than Gold is to be added? Thank gawd.
Wow, you seem to be happy about it :awesome:

But, yeah, kind of. However I wouldn't necessarily say the difference is much. I would probably put Gold around 50-55%. Which would apply to other trainers like Hilda, X, Y, Crystal/Kris, etc as well.

I still would pick Gold to add alongside Red because of the final battle in Gen 2. With Mt. Silver Cave as a stage.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
So were up to $225 to anyone who thinks red is gonna get replaced

@Hab
Not really since the only rosters I have seen is a different trainer (usually ethan) Replacing him

I take a break from this forum, and I see the usual suspects are ****-talking about me. Stay classy. I have had a lot **** to take care of in the real world, so I am not allowed to have "no laifu" like the majority of people here.

It also seems Shortie has had a beef about Roy lately. I wonder what his case is.

Anyway, I don't know why people are tying anime memes to me considering I have absolutely no interest in it.

Lastly, about the killing FE characters. I killed Lyn, Micaiah, and Tharja with Falaflame (the ph1rest of ph1r3 in the FE universe), so there is no remains for even the likes of Manly and DragonSniper to mourn over their dead waifus. Like anyone is going to miss a weak tutorial lord, a Mary Sue, and an ecchi character anyway. :troll:
All three of those would be missed, well, except maybe your waifu :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WTF does Waifu mean?

Are you talking about wifi?

Is it like Japanese internet?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wow, you seem to be happy about it :awesome:

But, yeah, kind of. However I wouldn't necessarily say the difference is much. I would probably put Gold around 50-55%. Which would apply to other trainers like Hilda, X, Y, Crystal/Kris, etc as well.

I still would pick Gold to add alongside Red because of the final battle in Gen 2. With Mt. Silver Cave as a stage.
It's not a game of relevancy, man. No matter what's said, that's not going to be understood, but it's not a game of relevancy. It's a game of popularity and also a bit of "Sakurai's choice". That should be apparent from every choice made on the entire Smash roster. Ever.

If they add a second Pokemon trainer, in addition to the third, I'm going to eat a piece of my clothing, and film it. Make note of this, but also know that it just isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom