• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I take a break from this forum, and I see the usual suspects are ****-talking about me. Stay classy. I have had a lot **** to take care of in the real world, so I am not allowed to have "no laifu" like the majority of people here.

It also seems Shortie has had a beef about Roy lately. I wonder what his case is.

Anyway, I don't know why people are tying anime memes to me considering I have absolutely no interest in it.

Lastly, about the killing FE characters. I killed Lyn, Micaiah, and Tharja with Falaflame (the ph1rest of ph1r3 in the FE universe), so there is no remains for even the likes of Manly and DragonSniper to mourn over their dead waifus. Like anyone is going to miss a weak tutorial lord, a Mary Sue, and an ecchi character anyway. :troll:
People trashtalking about you? I hope this isn't true because I don't really like seeing that happenin' to anyone here... it just makes things just worse.

Somewhere, Chrono is having a heart attack over people wanting to murder Fire Emblem characters.
But I also HOPE they were just joking. It's not like we truly mean all these above as to being real *****, it's more of playing with the traits or interests of certain people? Unless my sense of humour is as badly deranged as people around here for you Chrono.

Just... have some humour. Don't take these too seriously. It's still complete newsdrought. And we're bound to bond with joking around. It brings us together in dire times like these.

... I need to drink some gasoline. And another supply of brain bleach.

But I guess I just ask for impossible. And I have been cursed with a heart of gold.

Also this thread gets just wackier and wackier everytime I'm away.

*Summons Kyogre to battle against Groutroll the Newsdrought Pokemon*

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I see that this thread took a turn for the worse. Why so much mud flinging (Chrono)?

About Gen 1 PT, he's here to stay. I'm ready to bet 1000 rupees. :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I see that this thread took a turn for the worse. Why so much mud flinging (Chrono)?
I have not flung any mud. While I am away, people felt it was cool to trash talk about me. All I have done is called people out about it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have not flung any mud. While I am away, people felt it was cool to trash talk about me. All I have done is called people out about it.
Why are you taking it so seriously? Those were jokes obviously. If you didn't like them, ignore them. :);)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: Pretty much. And if that's not making you happy, then it's time for them to stop. It's a step closer to much peaceful union and debates.

Falkoopa: I guess it's that some people might have shorter fuse or aren't really humorous type. At least I'm not around my brothers. But still, if it gets annoying and few people agree on it, then it's better to stop.

Still, I think get where you come from. But it can offend if it pokes at the certain weak spot.

I clearly remember those times when I had to keep Oasis at bay with his Sausage-jokes towards Asage... didn't really like 'em.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Why are you taking it so seriously? Those were jokes obviously. If you didn't like them, ignore them. :);)
No some of them were insults. Also, I doubt most of the people here would be cool with the same behavior that only myself and SmashChu receive. Its really childish, and shows how mentally much of the people here have never left high school.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We never truly grow up though... I don't really see it as childish that much. It's the whole thing when people start to get closer together and speak about things they didn't think of speaking to others in much more light-hearted manner. And revealing their virtues + flaws. Finding who you like and who you don't... A thing you don't need to get into, but it's those moments that we'll remember as venting all out like there was no worry in the world. Basically Internet friendship in a nutshell. But we need some sane men to keep the boundaries incase things get ugly (like now to some extent).

Still, being bit of stoic Sain Man gets rather boring after a while in times like these. But I think it's something that doesn't have to be necessarily taken by every people as a joke if it's clearly an insult to them (and sounds like one).

But yeah, enough with picking on Chrono. *Pats on the back*.

D

Deleted member

I take a break from this forum, and I see the usual suspects are ****-talking about me. Stay classy. I have had a lot **** to take care of in the real world, so I am not allowed to have "no laifu" like the majority of people here.

It also seems Shortie has had a beef about Roy lately. I wonder what his case is.

Anyway, I don't know why people are tying anime memes to me considering I have absolutely no interest in it.

Lastly, about the killing FE characters. I killed Lyn, Micaiah, and Tharja with Falaflame (the ph1rest of ph1r3 in the FE universe), so there is no remains for even the likes of Manly and DragonSniper to mourn over their dead waifus. Like anyone is going to miss a weak tutorial lord, a Mary Sue, and an ecchi character anyway. :troll:
Aww, c'mon Chrono. No one was talking **** about you... We were just having a good laugh in general, no need to be so bitter about it.

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from with your dislike for cliches and memes. I agree that modern anime is litered with overused cliches, that's why I haven't watched any recent shows since the first season of Jojo (instead I turned to the West and started watching Game of Thrones). Likewise, I hate it when something decent becomes overly popular... Poor Gangnam Style, I knew ye well.

Still, I think it's impossible to avoid memes and "meme culture" in general, you just have to accept accept them. I don't simply mean internet memes either. I mean ACTUAL memes as they are the purest form of an idea. Memetics is actually quite the interesting topic. If you ever could I'd recommend you read "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkings. He's the guy that coined the term back in 1976. Once you get what he's talking about you'll understand why the internet has facilitated the spread and lifespan of ideas.

I think you can find the book on Amazon for around $12, you might even be able to find a better price on ebay.

@Psycho

The term 'waifu' began on 4chan (like just about everything these days), it is a Japanese mispronounciation of the term 'wife' since in Japanese all of the consonants barring 'n' have a vowel attached to them. Anyway, it began as a tongue-in-cheek term for 'fictional girl (or actress) I like' as a sort of joke really. It's still used like that in many places still, and should remain like that. However, there are a select very lonenly few, that have taken the term WAY out of proportion to have it mean MUCH more.

This video helps explain the whole concept better than I could:

Anyway, it's not the being attracted to a fictional girl that makes it weird, as I can get that. Hell, I'm sure most people have had a childhood crush on a fictional character being Sailor Moon, Misty, Sora, Link or what have you. But it blows over rather quickly and that's it. It's the obsessiveness of the idea of a waifu that makes it rather... strange. And the deal is most of these dudes aren't fat, lonely dudes, some of the are, yes, but a lot are also outwardly normal.

I've actually talked to a couple hardcore waifufags on /a/ and stuff, I've trolled some of them, but I've also tried to GET them. I'm still confused largely by the whole idea, but like in the video, in a way it's sort of covering up the lonelyness and living in denial.

In all honesty, this whole concept makes for a rather interesting social study. What caused it, the effects it's having on society, the psychology behind it (what's going on in their heads), and what this means for the future. In many ways, I feel this is tied to the 'Hikikomori' deal that's going on in Japan and spreading to the west. Technology and modern isolationism is a huge factor, and all that means these things will only get worse in the future.

So yeah... About that Smash Bros.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Aww, c'mon Chrono. No one was talking **** about you... We were just having a good laugh in general, no need to be so bitter about it.
Shortie's comment was definitely **** talking. Secondly, I am not sure you would have a good laugh if people mocked you for various posting attributes about yourself. I could provide examples of various things that would likely set you off, but I won't get into it. I am sure if you were harassed and dogpiled as much as SmashChu is you would probably leave SmashBoards.

D

Deleted member

Shortie's comment was definitely **** talking. Secondly, I am not sure you would have a good laugh if people mocked you for various posting attributes about yourself. I could provide examples of various things that would likely set you off, but I won't get into it. I am sure if you were harassed and dogpiled as much as SmashChu is you would probably leave SmashBoards.
Well, if you'd like you're welcome to PM them to me (so as not to derail the thread any further). I'm used to criticism, I'm a person who's constantly striving to improve. Not to mention that as an artist, I'm already used to having people take a look at my stuff and downright tearing it appart and telling me what's wrong with it.

I have no problem with people telling me where I go wrong. If they are gonna provide legit criticism and I'll listen. I may or may not heed what they say, but that depends on how right I may think they are, but I'll still listen.

That aside, sticks and stones man. If people talk **** for the sake of talking ****, they are likely jealous or confused. Some of my worst enemies irl have eventually become my closest friends. You just learn to leave all that behind and have a good laugh. Also, if someone cracks a joke at a funny quirk I may have when talking or posting, I'll laugh with them and then send one their way. Otherwise you come off as overly serious and sets you up for REAL **** flinging. This is especially true irl, you gotta learn to laugh at yourself sometimes, otherwise you give people the opportunity to hurt you. I guess it really is like putting up a barrier, but that's life, the only place where you can truly escape that are in anonymous places, where you are literally no one.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is a difference from fun-and-games and malicious dog-piling. What is going on in this thread in regards myself and SmashChu is certainly the latter.

D

Deleted member

There is a difference from fun-and-games and malicious dog-piling. What is going on in this thread in regards myself and SmashChu is certainly the latter.
Fair enough, I think people were just having a laugh. I certainly was. I didn't get any malicious vibes from anyone, but if you feel that way then... I suppose.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
People **** talking or just out right trolling on the internet becomes aggravating at first, but overtime you learn to not even care because whatever happens on the internet shouldn't even matter in your life.

Also Chrono, you don't get dog piled as nowhere near much as SmashChu does. In fact It rarely happens in your case.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its been a very long time since I last did an analysis on the results to Shortie's poll. Hopefully, the results as they are now are the standing about where those character fit among the overall popularity with the Western fanbase (though with the big exception being Waluigi due to 4chan :troll: votes).

This is with a 1337 (:troll:) votes:

Mega Man (722)
Mewtwo (634)
Ridley (510)
Little Mac (498)
K. Rool (474)
Waluigi (418)
Isaac (400)
Palutena (460)
Ghirahim (343)
Roy (339)
Bowser Jr. (327)
Chrom (309)
Shulk (302)
Pac-Man (266)
Krystal (264)
Zoroark (249)
Geno (240)
Toad (212)
Takamaru (209)
Dixie Kong (187)
Saki (180)
Samurai Goroh (174)
Black Shadow (137)
Mona (137)
Waddle Dee (134)

Mega Man:
Definitely the Sonic of Smash 4. He is far away the most wanted character for Smash 4 and for good reason. He is probably the most iconic video game character that is a prospective newcomer for Smash 4 (aside from Pac-Man). Unlike nearly other third-party character out there (especially for modern Nintendo), the Mega Man brand is synonymous with Nintendo consoles. Classic Mega Man having two well receieved new "classic" games since Brawl's release definitely helped spike more interest for him. I can't think of a single character that could help bring as much hype to Smash 4 as Mega Man. I believe Mega Man will be the most wanted character overall for Smash 4 among Western Smash Bros. fans until his eventual confirmation.

Mewtwo:
There is a reason why The Pokemon Company is bringing him back in the spotlight. To this day Mewtwo is probably the most popular legendary Pokemon, and overall within the Top 5 most popular Pokemon of all time. Him being a playable character in Smash Bros. has helped the Smash Bros. fanbase be endeared with him, and kept him fresh in their memories after all these years (people still go back to Melee even with the release of Brawl). Aside from Mega Man, no other character out there challenges Mewtwo for requests for Smash 4 in the West. Internationally, Mewtwo is probably the most wanted character overall for Smash 4. Mewtwo being an iconic and popular character (and with little competition from other characters for his series) for Nintendo's most popular franchise aside from Mario explains why he ranks as high as he is.

Ridley:
No surprise he is the third highest in this poll. He has been a popularly requested character for Smash Bros. for over a decade, and is largely seen as the main antagonist for one of Nintendo's more popular franchises. Metroid is no Pokemon, nor is Ridley an iconic face for video games like Mega Man, which explains why he is not on the same level as Mega Man and Mewtwo. Ridley is probably the one true Nintendo newcomer that could bring the most hype to Smash 4. For this reason, I believe he has a very good chance of showing up at E3.

Little Mac:
Many people here are likely surprised to see him as high as he is (he is within 15 votes of Ridley even, and over 20 votes ahead of K. Rool), especially considering how quiet his fanbase is. However, it should not come as a surprise for a few reasons. One is that he was a popularly requested character after Brawl's unveil (he was seen as the next retro character inline after Pit). Secondly, the NES Punch-Out still remains among the most iconic and popular titles for the NES (in charts NES Punch-Out ranks among the Top 10 best selling Virtual Console games for the 3DS's eshop, and constantly ranks within the Top 20 each week for the Wii's Virtual Console shop). Couple that also with a successful and highly acclaimed Wii installment since Brawl's release (as well as highly regarded SNES installment that was also made readily available to a new generation thanks to the VC), and you have a recipe for a highly requested character for Smash 4. Despite he basically invisible fanbase, he probably could bring more hype and interest to Smash 4 than any other possible Nintendo newcomer aside Ridley (and maybe K. Rool).

K. Rool:
K. Rool is a big gun for sure due to being the main antagonist of Rare's immensely popular DK games (as well as for the lesser known Paon DK games). However, despite him being far away more requested and desired than any character not named Mega Man, Mewtwo, Ridley, or Little Mac, he is still a bit behind Ridley/Little Mac. The biggest reason for this is due to him basically having his last large profile role in a game in 1999 basically (although he has had significant roles in games since then, ie the Paon DK trilogy, none of those games have come close to the impact, popularity, or sales of DK64). He has been coasting on the popularity of Rare's DK games since then, of which, the popularity to which have helped to be renewed and stay alive thanks to GBA ports and Virtual Console re-releases. DK being among the more popular franchises from Nintendo certainly helps K. Rool having as large a fanbase as he does. Its impressive that he is as high as he is due to him not being as prominent as he used to be.

Waluigi:
Its 4chan's fault that Walugi is sixth in this poll. Looking at the pinned poll for this board, Waluigi is about around where Paper Mario is for popularity. I do think Waluigi is likely within the Top 15 most wanted characters for Smash 4, however, I strongly doubt he is more wanted than the likes of Isaac and Palutena (and probably Roy and Ghirahim as well). I would say he is true popularity is around where Bowser Jr's. is more or less (from other polls for Mario characters I have seen and done on other sites, they are usually very close together in terms of votes). Since the majority of people who avidly post on gaming sites (especially with the free time to post as much as they do) are people who grew up with the Nintendo 64/PS1 and now the GCN/PS2/XBOX, we now have a generation and very large contingent of gamers that sees Waluigi as a staple for the Mario series, so the argument that he is a "filler" character that just meant as a partner for Wario is holding less precedence as more and more people who grew up in previous gaming generations leave gaming, and as more and more people who grew up in the post-N64 era become involved. Despite Waluigi being a far less important character than Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario, he has been found to be "endearing" to larger portion of Smash Bros. and Mario fans since Brawl's release due to in part his personality, his meme status, and Brawl in the Family (of which contributed to his meme status).

Isaac:
Isaac is the true sixth-most highly requested character for Smash 4 in the West. I think if Golden Sun had a very highly regarded third installment Isaac would be on par with the likes of Ridley, Little Mac, and K. Rool for requests. Isaac is basically coasting on his popularity from two games released a decade ago. Its impressive that his popularity has held on for as a long as it has (I think Dark Dawn did more bad than good since at the very least it helped convince people that the GS series was still "relevant" and not dead). Isaac will likely move into the Top 5 in the West since basically all of the Top 5 characters for this poll are contenders for confirmation at E3 2013. I think like Little Mac and K. Rool, Isaac could have high popularity buoyed (or sustained) through the re-release of his games for the Virtual Console, which could introduce a new generation of fans for his games and help re-invigorate existing fans to support him.

Palutena:
Palutena is basically what would happen if a female character had all the stars line up for them (and then some, ie. Sakura's involvement with their source material). She is easily the most wanted "new" character this time (when I say "new" I mean a character that only began to have a large fanbase since Brawl's release). Palutena especially did not take off as a popular choice for Smash 4 until the release of Uprising. Palutena's endearing personality and banter with Pit, her overall high important to the Kid Icarus series, and Uprising squelching all of the arguments against her ("too big" and "can't fight" and "too strong" were arguments I have seen used against her prior to Uprising). There is no other female character that comes close to Palutena for requests this time, and probably there won't be any others that enter the Top 10 after Palutena is confirmed (though the possibility exists for Krystal if a new Star Fox game is made and released before Smash 4's arrival). Surprisingly, Palutena has a very quiet fanbase, especially for one of its size, which makes it even curious considering she is an attractive female character (whom tend to have very "loud" supporters in general).

Ghirahim:
Like Little Mac, Ghirahim's placement comes as a bit of a surprise to those looking at the results. This especially comes with the fact that Skyward Sword was more weakly received than any other 3D Zelda before it. However, Ghirahim's placement is both a combination of him having a very memorable role as well as the Zelda fanbase not being fractured at all this time. During pre-Brawl, the choice for a Zelda newcomer was split between Wind Waker Link, Midna, Tingle, Vaati, and Zant. Now its only Ghirahim with a notable fanbase. I think if Skyward Sword had a much better reception he would probably have been a bit behind where Isaac is now. The Zelda fanbase has the largest hardcore fanbase of any Nintendo series not named Pokemon, so its no surprise that a prominent new actor (even if he is likely to be a one-shot) from a more weakly received installment is as highly requested as he is.

Roy:
Roy is definitely the most wanted FE character for Smash 4. Being a popular character in Melee and Melee having staying power even after the release of Brawl explains why is as high as he is. Like Little Mac and Palutena, Roy surprisingly has a rather quiet fanbase despite its large size. His main contender for a spot being Chrom, of whom could just as easily end up as "semi-clone" as Roy, helps Roy a lot more than many people think (since a lot of the arguments that could be used against Roy, "could be a clone" or "another sword-user" could apply to Chrom as well). For many people, Roy was what introduced them to Fire Emblem, so he holds a special place in many Smash and Nintendo's fans hearts. In Japan his popularity is even more pronounced (being probably the most wanted Smash 4 newcomer after Mewtwo, and holds a lot of nostalgia among the FE fanbase there).

Bowser Jr.:
No surprise he is high up. He has been having important roles in main Mario games (platformers) ever since Sunshine. Like Waluigi, he has made regular roles in much of the non-RPG spinoffs as well. The Mario fanbase is extremely fractured as to who they want for a Mario newcomer this time (divided between Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi, and Geno), so Bowser Jr. could be even higher on this poll (probably around where Isaac is) if there wasn't fan sectarianism.

Chrom:
Chrom is largely riding on the quality and acclaim for FE13. He is not as requested as Roy, but he is definitely the second most wanted FE character for Smash 4. I think Chrom probably would have been higher in this poll if he were anything other than a "blue-haired sword user". Chrom is also hurt a bit by being outshined a bit by Lucina and My Unit in FE13. I think Chrom is helped by being seen as "inevitable" due to being the latest lord, but hurt due to being seen as "bland". Overall, Roy vs. Chrom is a whole lot less interesting than the kind of dynamics going on during pre-Brawl (Marth vs. Roy vs. Ike vs. Lyn. vs. Hector vs. Sigurd vs. Micaiah vs. Ephraim).

Shulk:
I think Shulk is undergoing Takamaru-syndrome in this poll now. By Takamaru-syndrome, I mean initially he was very high within the poll at one point (even within the Top 10), but gets very little votes lately. I think Shulk slowing down for votes is largely due to how few people have played his source material. Xenoblade is probably the highest acclaimed RPG to come out Japan this generation, so its no surprise that he is as high as he is despite Xenoblade having been a relatively limited release in the West. I think "X" could help or hurt Shulk depending on the details about it. Overall, Shulk is probably the most wanted "new series" character after the likes of Little Mac and Isaac. However, seeing how much lower Shulk is shows that there is still more interest in expanding existing franchises for characters than giving unrepped series a slot.

Pac-Man:
Pac-Man's fanbase as a character for Smash 4 only really started to exist last year. Pac-Man despite being an iconic game character, suffers due to being seen as "bland". Despite this, he is overall within the Top 15 for Smash 4 in the West. Pac-Man's fanbase stands a good chance of collapsing if he is not shown at E3 2013 due to the expectation that if a Namco character were to happen (of which there are possibilities aside from Pac-Man), it would most likely happen at E3 2013. As has been mentioned before, Pac-Man's far lower position than Mega Man shows just how little interest there is for third-party newcomers even amongst the diminished pool of newcomers that Smash 4 has.

Krystal:
Krystal is certainly the second-most wanted female character in the West, though her standing is a farcry from her pre-Brawl days. She is doing much better than expected in light of that she has not been in a game for over six years, the very mixed reception/legacy of the post-64 games, and the belief that SF has more than enough characters already in Smash Bros.. I am not sure whether her doing better than the likes of Toad, Dixie Kong, and Samurai Goroh, is a statment that shows how well she has done, or whether a statement about how much those three are underperforming. She might creep up to Shulk (especially if he starts performing like Takamaru), but otherwise she will pretty much just pass up Pac-Man, and stay there (but have no behind characters pass her up).

Zoroark:
Another character that is performing more strongly than expected. Zoroark is probably the second-most wanted Pokemon newcomer for Smash Bros. (though that could change after the Genesect movie, perhaps), but he pales in comparison to Mewtwo. He has not been a big face to Pokemon since 2010, and even Lucario is being promoted more. Toad, DIxie Kong, and Samurai Goroh being behind this guy really shows they have deep problems.

Geno:
Geno is the male analogue to Krystal His hey-day was pre-Brawl, though he still has a fanbase that wants to see him for Smash 4 (though Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi are all more wanted than him). Again, Toad, Samurai Goroh, and Dixie Kong being lower than him shows big problems.

Toad:
Toad should be doing far better than he is. He is definitely the most iconic Mario character not yet playable in Smash Bros., so what gives? I think the best reason for this is due to two reasons, one is being seen as "bland", and the second is that much of the Smash Bros. and Nintendo fanbase nowadays is made up of people who grew up during the Nintendo 64 and GameCube generations of which Toad was only par with Waluigi, and took a backseat to Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario. Only with the Wii generation did Toad return to pre-N64 days prominence, however, I believe the people who have grown on the Wii have yet to begin avid video game fandom (and probably won't begin to show until some time after Smash 4's release). As such, Toad for many Mario and Nintendo fans is simply seen as another Waluigi, except with a less pronounced personality (or perhaps endearing one).

Takamaru:
It should come as no surprise that he is as low as he is. The majority of Western Nintendo fans only know him through Samurai Warriors 3 (a rather nice release in the West) and Nintendo Land. He is definitely no Pit (or a Little Mac when he was still considered a retro). Takamaru has the support he has largely from more hardcore Smash Bros. and Nintendo fans, who may know who he is. He is largely an unknown among most Western Nintendo fans. He makes sense for serious Smash Bros. speculators, though he will probably come as a surprise to most people when he is confirmed.

Dixie Kong:
Another character that is far lower than they probably should be. You would think that since K. Rool and Dixie Kong are in the same boat, and have had the same benefits (GBA re-releases and the Virtual Console re-releases) that they would be much closer together than they are. However, as mentioned with the Toad explanation, the largest faction existing for the plurality of avid Nintendo fans today is probably those who grew up with the Nintendo 64. Dixie Kong's last proimient role in the series was in 1997, so she has started to fall down the memory hole. I still think Dixie Kong will enjoy more support once K. Rool is confirmed, though I am starting to doubt whether she would even enter the Top 10 in the West. As low as Dixie Kong is, she is definitely the third-most wanted female newcomer in the West.

Saki:
Sin & Punishment being a popular Virtual Console game, and Saki being a cool Assist Trophy explains his position. Sin & Punishment 2 may have helped him a bit as well. However, those are both still rather niche releases. Saki had a rather vocal fanbase for much of pre-Smash 4, so its curious how he is fanbase is not bigger than it is here.

Samurai Goroh:
Goroh being as low as he is a bit surprsing. Its possible that the existence of Black Shadow as a viable choice is fragmenting the F-Zero fanbase (combining the votes for the two a "second F-Zero character" would be just behind Bowser Jr. in this poll). Goroh has always had more focus in Smash Bros. than any F-Zero character not name Captain Falcon, so him being definitely the most wanted F-Zero character should not come as a surprise. He is definitely more wanted than Black Shadow, however, there is still not much interest in him in general, and I can only see a few people putting up a stink if Falcon is again the lone playable character for F-Zero. F-Zero being on hiatus since 2004 is largely the reason why I think many Nintendo/Smash Bros fans are okay with Falcon being the sole F-Zero character again this time (heck, the F-Zero attraction in Nintendo Land is even called "Captain Falcon's Twisty Race).

Black Shadow:
He makes up the three bottom characters for this poll. He probably gets most of his popularity from being a character that could inherit Ganondorf's current moveset and his role in the F-Zero anime (particularly the meme from the epic Falcon Punch at the conclusion of it). I think Black Shadow missed his chance with Brawl, and he should have been the one to get Ganondorf's present moveset. Like Goroh, Black Shadow is hurt by the long hiatus for the F-Zero series.

Mona:
I think she is very likable amongst WarioWare fans and she (along with Jimmy T.) are the best choices for a second Wario character. However, there frankly is just not much interest in a second Wario character to begin with (see how poorly Captain Syrup is doing in the poll on this board). Not much there is to be said.

Waddle Dee:
He has the same problems as Toad. Return to Dream Land came out too late in the Wii's lifecycle, and far too few people played it for people to change their perspective about this character. If more people played Return to Dream Land, I think he would be doing much better than he is now (probably around where Takamaru is right now). Like with Wario, there just isn't any interest for a Kirby newcomer this time.

D

Deleted member

I gotta admit, Waluigi is certainly growing on me. He needs fleshing out as a character. But all the comics I've seen around here have certainly made him a funny and even wantable character.

He also needs a redesign. If Waluigi was more like pic related and what I've seen around here, I'd support him in a heartbeat. He'd be an awesome and hilarious character tbh. He needs his own series though, I don't see him as a "Mario" character, because if he was, he'd be the "sports"character.

Also, I still don't get the support for Mona.

Also also, brb, gonna draw Waluigi dressed as the Baron from Wacky Races.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Jimmy T. would be far better than Mona, all of his moves dance-based.
Like every punch he throws he goes "Groovy!" with a deep sexy voice.
Would become an awesome joke character.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
In my opinion, Jimmy T and Ashley are/would be better then Mona when it comes to this game in all honesty. Yeah, yeah, i know you can build a moveset for her based on her jobs but that is extremely boring. Throwing pizza is the only move i like out of all the movesets i've seen

Jimmy T. bringing dancing moves to smash would be amazing while Ashley is a full on magic user.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Jimmy T. reminds be of Bo Bo BoBo when dancing

This needs to be the final smash:
Everyone just does thriller and dives off the screen
He can be a very hilarious addition to the roster

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Jimmy T. would be far better than Mona, all of his moves dance-based.
Like every punch he throws he goes "Groovy!" with a deep sexy voice.
Would become an awesome joke character.
I had a dream one time that Jimmy T. was playable in Smash 4 and his Final Smash involved a giant disco ball descending from the top of the stage, and the rest of the stage becoming a dance floor, with the other fighters dancing uncontrollably except Jimmy T. himself. All of his attacks also involved dance moves and was hilarious.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Jimmy T would be amazing :laugh:

And I rike the anime/otaku memes :(

I don't get as tired as memes as often as other people do I guess because I don't stay on the interwebz for long enough on average to see them often

volbound1700

Smash Master
No some of them were insults. Also, I doubt most of the people here would be cool with the same behavior that only myself and SmashChu receive. Its really childish, and shows how mentally much of the people here have never left high school.
Anytime you type on the internet you should expect trolling or some other kind of behavior that will come at you and you need to have a thick skin. I get hit pretty hard too because I am the big third party fan/defender on here. I hear a lot of people go at Diddy Kong as well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think Sakurai removes characters to make room for more newcomers. I doubt that if Sakurai removed five characters, we would get more than Brawl.

And this thread is getting ugly. I'm off.
Mind you that while it hasn't happened yet, that doesn't mean it can't happen. While I know it's comparing apples to oranges, the roster from MvC2 to UMvC3 are incredibly different from one another. More characters were replaced than returned, some with pretty good reasons - like we needed two versions of Wolverine. Just on the Capcom side, 17/25 characters were brand new in UMvC3. Marvel's side, whose demands were from a widely different audience, had 15/25 characters that were new to the series.

I don't think we'll ever see 32 characters being replaced. I mean, Nintendo's cast in regards to prominence tends to stay fairly consistent and there was no over representation of series like in MvC2 (huge chunk is SF characters). Still, I think it's something to consider. Even Shorts and Arcadenik have brought it up. You know, if I were to have the "essential" roster for who would make it each game, I'd have:

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Diddy Kong
  7. Samus
  8. Olimar
  9. Link
  10. Zelda (No Sheik)
  11. Ganondorf
  12. Pikachu
  13. Mewtwo
  14. Pit
  15. Kirby
  16. Meta Knight
  17. Dedede
  18. Yoshi
  19. Wario
  20. Fox
  21. Capt. Falcon
  22. Ness
  23. Marth
  24. Ice Climbers
  25. Mr. Game and Watch

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
[collapse="About that Chrono debacle last night..."]I will probably be hated for this comment, but if Chrono is offended by comments like these, he hasn't REALLY been offended in his life. As an handicapped person, I am VERY certain of what I am saying.

Somewhere, Chrono is having a heart attack over people wanting to murder Fire Emblem characters.
Yes, that is Chrono's waifu. They're stuck in a loveless marriage. :troll:

No, Chrono hates her. lol
Ahh, so it's one-sided. You can't get those yandere off you even with a crowbar... Poor Chrono.

EDIT: Maybe he's Tsundere for Tharja.

It's not like these comments are insulting him in any form nor are attacking his personality or any other of his traits. They are just playing around with his liking of the Fire Emblem series and his opinion about the new Fire Emblem, nothing more.

It's called having a sense of humor and, honestly, I think some people are taking the speculation way too seriously.[/collapse]
Just needed to get this out of my head. I'm not defending or offending anyone. I'm simply stating my opinion on the matter.

Anyway, to stay on the topic, I don't think WarioWare characters are that likely. Sure, they could have unique movesets and such, but I don't see it happening. At least, not before other characters.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I really need to try Fire Emblem because it sounds like a series that is right up my ally. I love strategy games in the past, especially fantasy/medieval (Heroes of Might and Magic, Disciples, Civilization II Test of Time, etc).

Toad:
Toad should be doing far better than he is. He is definitely the most iconic Mario character not yet playable in Smash Bros., so what gives? I think the best reason for this is due to two reasons, one is being seen as "bland", and the second is that much of the Smash Bros. and Nintendo fanbase nowadays is made up of people who grew up during the Nintendo 64 and GameCube generations of which Toad was only par with Waluigi, and took a backseat to Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario. Only with the Wii generation did Toad return to pre-N64 days prominence, however, I believe the people who have grown on the Wii have yet to begin avid video game fandom (and probably won't begin to show until some time after Smash 4's release). As such, Toad for many Mario and Nintendo fans is simply seen as another Waluigi, except with a less pronounced personality (or perhaps endearing one).

I know it sounds dumb but I also think Toad's chances are hurt by the fact that he is a part of Peach's moveset.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know it sounds dumb but I also think Toad's chances are hurt by the fact that he is a part of Peach's moveset.
That never really stopped other characters who used to have different roles in previous smash games from becoming playable. Charizard is one example of this. Peach can always get a different Toad or a different special move in it's place instead or something similar like her parasol or something.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was talking about the comment where Shortie flat out said that I hate nearly all characters (except Ridley and Roy), and many people here believe that since it gets repeated so much. That comment was mean spirited, and I did not like that it widely upvoted. Look at the SmashChu hate, you have new users hating on him solely because a lot of the people who live in this thread don't like him.

Playing devil's advocate, even if you were to regard SmashChu as "obnoxious" or "arrogant" he barely comes into this thread, we is more than can be said for other users whom those terms could be applied to.

For example, I get attacked for supporting and defending Roy, but the fact is that the reason I am vocal about Roy (I want Ridley much more, and I support Mega Man and Mewtwo just as much), is there are very few Western Roy fans who possess an extensive knowledge about the Fire Emblem series. Also, the other three characters (Ridley, Mega Man, Mewtwo) don't really have any detractors in general so I barely have to bring them up, and both Ridley and Mega Man are weeks away from a likely confirmation, while Mewtwo is perhaps the most likely character overall character to show up for Smash 4.

As it stands for a character like Roy, he is one of the most wanted characters for Smash 4 (just look at the latest results for Shortie's poll that I posted). So I should not be singled out for my support for him. That being said, I am probably the most articulate and knowledgeable Roy fan there is.

Back during pre-Melee and pre-Brawl, I was busting my back fighting off Ridley detractors (and Jigglypuff/Mr. G&W haters), and at this point the only ones who are against Ridley are the "too big" crowd most of whom are not taken seriously by the rest of the fanbase.I supported other characters I really wanted a lot during pre-Brawl as well (Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, Diddy Kong, and Ike).

The fact is that since I have been around far longer with the Smash Bros. fanbase than nearly everyone here, nearly all of my character hopes are coming from someone who had character wishlists in 2001. Nearly every character I am a very big fan of has already been added in at this point.

Aside from the four mentioned above (Ridley, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Roy) the only other characters I might be inclined to eventually "support" are Palutena (whom could be confirmed in just a few weeks anyway), Little Mac (ditto), K. Rool (ditto), Dixie Kong, Toad, Paper Mario, and Waddle Dee. However, of all those characters, none of them I feel any attachment to as the extent to which of the characters already in Smash Bros. or the four I currently support.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Chrono

My man

I'm not exactly exempt from people making fun of me, either

Far from it, actually. Matter of fact, the first time I ever joined a forum, people collectively labeled me the worst poster of the year. It stung even worse then because I was only 13 and I was eager to share my opinions with the rest of the people there (I wasn't trolling or anything, I even had good grammar)/naive to what people on the internet could be like. Only because of the few friends I had there and me along with my opinions maturing did I get accepted over the what? 4 years that I spent there? It wasn't exactly an easy road to get to that point, either, people still didn't respect me as a whole

Hell, I still get **** for liking certain things on other sites, and even liking the Melee clones on here occassionally. Trust me Chrono when I say that what you're experiencing here is a lot better than what it could be. Not trying to demean what you're going through or make this about me, but even though people might **** around with you from time to time and you might have a couple enemies, you still have a lot of respect from people here, myself included. No one or at least most people don't mean harm when they make jokes about you, and even if they do, pimpin, who gives a ****? You know yourself, you know who you are; you don't need others to point that out to you. So if people are making jokes about you, then just joke with them, have fun and don't take things too seriously, or just ignore them if you're not interested. And if it gets to the point where people talking about you really annoys you, just leave! Let these hoes know that you aren't down for the BS through your actions, not your words. You're always talking about how making long posts are a waste of time, well, wouldn't you consider getting worked up over people's commentary about you a waste of time, too?

Y'all kill me when you sit here and ramble on and on about the thread and its problems and how people need to grow up or whatever. While I understand that things tend to get out of hand in here and that we need people here to keep the place in check when necessary, I just can't relate to people who take this speculation **** so serious. It's like, you're only setting yourself up for massive amounts of frustration. In the end, we're all here to talk about characters for a goddamned video game. It's like am I missing something here :laugh:

That's just my 2 cents, anyway, you can take it or leave it. Maybe I'm just the childish one here who needs to develop some actual standards when posting here, or maybe I'm just too different from the average forum dweller, but that's just how I feel

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think everyone supports 1 or 2 characters that others would dislike. And It can be really discouraging when being ganged up on by the opposing side.
Like my grandma always says: People are like diapers full of $hit and hard to change.
No matter how undeniable or reasonable your facts are(or it can just be a personal wish without any supporting evidence), some people are just not going to want it.The only reason why it is noticeable is because, there is nothing to talk about on this thread. We just end up running through the same topics over and over again and keep stating our for the most part unchanged opinions. I think people here just need to learn how to agree to disagree with out dishing out low-blows.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This kinda remind's me of my pre-Brawl day's when I was treated like an idiot by Midna fans for wanting Wind Waker Link (before he became known as Toon Link) in Brawl and that he would never make it playable because of his art style (Yes his art style. As if Lucas hasn't already whooped the butt of that excuse already). Guess who got the last laugh. :troll:

Anyway. This stuff is mostly because of a news draught of why everyone goes so off topic and making fun of each other constantly as well as repeating the same thing's over and over again. Once Smash 4 get's announced and we have a trailer we will all be getting excited and chatting as well as speculating about all the characters and stages that have been confirmed (and complaining how this or that character didn't deserve to be playable, but mostly excited that they are) as well as any new features that show up.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Master Overlord, I don't think you understand what I was getting at. I am talking about is the "clique mentality". Like you can go and say "SmashChu sux" (or a derivative of that) and a lot of people will "like" that simply due to their distaste of SmashChu. Like it or note, most people are herd animals, such as such people will go with whatever the "cool" people are saying/doing, and now you are having newer posters hating SmashChu just because "everyone else does it" (though actually its just a few loudmouths with way too much time on their hands).

The high school mentality that often goes on in this thread is what I was talking about. Frankly, it does not belong here.

I have no problem with light-hearted jokes in jest (like N30N's "insult"), but stuff where Shortie says I "you should feel bad about not liking any female characters that are not Chrono approved" or "Chrono hates all characters (except Ridley and Roy)" and they get lots of "likes", it creates a reality that is not there in the minds of people who only casually visit this thread.

Do you understand what I am getting at?

Anyway that is enough about this topic. Sometimes I just feel as though people live out their social lives (or rather much of their free time) in this thread.

Here is some on-topic stuff though. I was looking through some old files of mine during pre-Brawl and look what I wrote for Toon Link and Wolf:

Wind Waker Link:
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker was a love or hate game. Some people loved it, while others hated it (mostly for its cartoony style, lack of difficulty, Tingle, and Tri-Force piece fetch quest). I personally loved and think it’’s a masterpiece. However, that’’s beside the point. The Hero of Winds had many different tools and weapons that made him differ from other incarnations. They included a grappling hook, a skull hammer, the Hurricane Spin, the Deku Leaf, and the Tingle Tuner. Wind Waker Link has enough abilities just from Wind Waker alone to get into Brawl as his own character, and not a clone. The Hero of Winds was also the main hero of Phantom Hourglass, which is said to be the best handheld Zelda to date. If Wind Waker Link were to get into Brawl, there is a good chance that he would be called Young Link (since he also stars in Phantom Hourglass, not just Wind Waker). The main disadvantages to Wind Waker Link are that he is another Link and some people would rather have a Zelda character that is a different person, and there are a lot of people (especially in the West) who dislike Wind Waker Link because he is from Wind Waker. Phantom Hourglass’’s fantastic sales in Japan boost Wind Waker Link’’s chances of getting into Brawl. However, he still needs to compete with Midna for that spot. Wind Waker Link (or Cat Eyes Link as he is called in Japan) is quite popular among Japanese Smash Bros. fans and think he has a good chance of showing up as a playable character. I expect that if Wind Waker Link is in the game, he will most likely be a hidden character.

Wolf:
Wolf is Fox’’s rival who was introduced in Star Fox 64. Wolf is the leader of a band of ace pilot mercenaries called Star Wolf. Though Wolf was introduced as a villain, he has been helping out Fox in recent Star Fox titles, becoming more of a rival than a nemesis. Wolf is probably the second-most popular character in the Star Fox series (though it is debatable with the North American fanbase). Wolf is also one of the most wanted characters for Brawl in Japan. However, many say that Wolf would be too similar to Fox and that it would be difficult for Sakurai’’s team to come up with an unique moveset for him. Also, the rumor about the Wolf alternate costume for Fox has been proven false, as Sakurai himself refers to it as being "Dark Fox." Wolf's chances have increased greatly because of this new development.Though with the Krystal voice actress leak, Wolf's prospects are still doubtful.

Interesting.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Frost & Metal: Pretty much. I don't really like it when things gets heated up or someone's getting offended, so I'm trying my best to help the situation.

Might though investigate that thing out- (I'm so late)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I remember that, too... Twilight Princess fans said Wind Waker sucked because of the childish graphics and Wind Waker Link wouldn't get in because his art style clashes with the realistic mature style of Twilight Princess characters. I was glad that Wind Waker Link got in over Midna and Zant but I was annoyed that he was still a clone... albeit superior to Link (and Young Link) but still a clone nevertheless. :rolleyes:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Long story on all this: Stop taking things so personally and maybe take the jokes at your expense as a learning opportunity. As others have said, I've dealt with way worse stuff than any of the things ever said to me on this forum. The stuff in this thread in particular are simply trash talk. If it really bothers you so much, either don't return to this thread or PM them directly saying it bothers you. I recommend the latter but no promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom