• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
3D Starfy sounds like a pretty damn interesting concept. If the engine and gameplay was made fun yet flexible like Mario's, this would really be a good idea.

Now that I think about it, Starfy could really fit into a 3D Platformer-game like Mario or Spyro and so on, due the objectives in his games. Maybe they'd also give him set worlds and certain objects to clear about. And you'd a lot of 'em underwater.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Easy to fix. Just change Peach's attack to use Toadsworth instead. People don't seem to get how ****ty that argument is when they try to use it seriously. (Not talking about you of course)
I agree that it is easily solved but I still think Sakurai already thinks Toad is in the game so why add him. Plus Toad really doesn't have a lot of moveset ideas since in most games he functions a lot like Mario/Luigi.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Regarding Volbound's post, I wonder why Sega hasn't made it's own Sonic Smash Bros. yet...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Vol: Smash Bros is crafted by Nintendo themselves, no DUH it's Nintendo-centric. Why it should be just another M.U.G.E.N, except people now just stealing sonething so ingenious created by Sakurai, HAL, and Nintendo?

Reminds me of that ancient Nintendo VS Capcom-rumor back few years ago.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Chrono- Wow, that's actually a pretty thorough analysis on all the characters you have there

You pretty much covered everything that could have been covered and I couldn't really find much wrong that you said

I feel like the hype for pretty much every character is going to increase tenfold though come June when the game gets officially revealed

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Chrono I take a lot of heat because I want Smash to not be so Nintendo centric and become more of a crossover game for all video game characters (I do draw the line that they need to be on Nintendo systems and agree with Sakurai with that) but I want the BEST characters in the game regardless of if they are 1st party or 3rd party. I still see the game being heavily Nintendo because to be honest, Nintendo just has more IP and better IP for a crossover game. If Sega had made their version of Smash and Smash Bros had not existed, I would be pushing heavily to have Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc. in that game.
To be honest. I'd rather they don't go too far with 3rd parties and turning smash into something else. I mean that's like after R.O.B. in Mario Kart DS they would add loads of other Nintendo characters such as Link, Samus, Pikachu, Fox, Kirby etc etc and turning Mario Kart into Nintendo Kart or something. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind third parties (After all I am supporting Professor Layton as my most wanted character for smash 4 and he's a third party) but at the same time they shouldn't go overboard with them and make smash lose it's main focus as a Nintendo crossover fighter.

Just my opinion though.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@FalKoopa- Eh, a Sega Smash would most likely just be filled with Sonic characters, anyway (and this is coming from someone who loves Sonic, it's definitely Top 5 Dead Or Alive when it comes to my favorite gaming series)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
THat's what I want. A SONIC Smash game.

Though NiGHTS and Reala being playable in it would be awesome

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Aww man a SEGA Smash would just remind me of

I loved This game.
This, Melee and Double Dash is the only reason why i have my GC still.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I agree that it is easily solved but I still think Sakurai already thinks Toad is in the game so why add him. Plus Toad really doesn't have a lot of moveset ideas since in most games he functions a lot like Mario/Luigi.
I don't blame you for thinking that Toad could be the Wolf of the Mario series. But there are stuff that Toad can do that Mario/Luigi/Peach are not going to do in Smash. I don't think Mario/Luigi are going to use Propeller Mushrooms so why not give Toad that? I also don't think Mario/Luigi are going to shoot Iceballs so why not give Toad that? I don't think Peach is ever going to pull up giant vegetables like in Super Mario Advance so why not let Toad demonstrate his superhuman strength by pulling out giant vegetables?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sega smash would have Shinobi, Super Monkey Ball, House of Dead, Total War series, Golden Ax, Toe Jam Earl, Ristar, perhaps Earthworm Jim, but it wouldn't have enough to truely compete with Smash Brothers.

I proposed a system that could earlier but it got ignored by the posters :(. It was a series based on PC titles for Steams new console and could be a cross over of Blizzard, Activision, Microprose Classics, Maxis Classics, EA, Steam, Valve, ID Software, and other titles.

Classic characters:

Zergling - Starcraft
GLaDoS - Portal
Witch - Left 4 Dead
Legion - Civilization
Necromancer - Diablo II
King Gryphonheart - Heroes of Might and Magic
Doom Guy - Doom
Gordon Freeman - Half-life
Orc - Warcraft II
Sim - The Sims
Strogg - Quake

I gave a lot larger list but technically a system based on PC classic titles could compete with Smash and would be interesting and unique. You could also go back and get many classic characters. Blizzard alone could really do a good Smash style game but add in these other series and there is a lot of room for items.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they had a character from starcraft, it would be the queen of blades herself

If they had a character from Warcraft, it would be Thrall

volbound1700

Smash Master
If they had a character from starcraft, it would be the queen of blades herself

If they had a character from Warcraft, it would be Thrall

I actually did list Queen of Blades in the original post. Too bad it got ignored because I would love to hear ideas.

We would likely get Coach from Left 4 Dead. Heroes of Might and Magic series has so many options I couldn't narrow it down. Some series would be better for stages then characters like the Civilization and Sim City series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sega Smash, you say? I want Shion and Asha from Monster World games plus a couple Streets of Rage characters... maybe Blaze, Skate, or even Roo.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Sonic the Fighters! Reminds me of Ray, Mighty and all of the other forgotten Sonic characters that I still wish would Sega would bring back

Also, hell yes to Streets of Rage characters

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think a Smash style PC collection would be kick*** and would be far better than Playstation All-Stars.

I forgot Commander Keen, he would be a lock.

Also I proposed a Hunter resembling the when you hunt on Oregon Trail. An Oregon Trail reference would be epic.

D

Deleted member

@Arcadenik: I wouldn't worry about 2nd party status for characters. Remember, Sakurai is the same person that deals with the Pokémon situation as well as fit in two third-parties despite commenting on them being harder to fit in the game than the game itself.
If it were not for the fact that Starfy series has gone on such a long hiatus (five years we are going on), I would say he would have very good chances of getting in. Starfy 5 selling far worse than any other game before it in Japan I think is what made them put it in hiatus, though the good sales it enjoyed in the US I thought countered that. I guess TOSE just looked at its Japanese audience more. I think we will eventually get a Starfy 6 (though I am getting more fearful with each passing year that it may not happen).

As it stands I think he is the most likely C-lister that is not named Little Mac, Isaac, or Shulk
Recentness isn't a factor Sakurai use to decide which character gets in. The best recentness can do is get a character noticed. I also doubt that sales is a factor given the inconsistency shown in what get in characters (otherwise, why does Pokémon and Zelda have more than Mario in Brawl? Plus Toise's sales theory).

As for Stafy, his biggest issue is that it looks as Sakurai considers Stafy as a character that wouldn't fit in Smash. Remember that Sakurai stated that he noticed that characters after Pikmin had issues with game play when deciding characters in Brawl and I find it likely that he was referring to characters like Stafy. Stafy's horrible Assist Trophy treatment further my belief that Sakurai just doesn't see Stafy as someone that would work in Smash. Had Sakurai not essentially ejected Stafy pre-Brawl, I might have agreed, but that's not the case.

Saki is honestly more likely at this point because at least Sakurai has interest in him. I would have said Ray too if he hadn't lost everything he had going for him pre-Brawl.

volbound1700

Smash Master
My main for SEGA all-stars would be Praetorian - Rome Total War if they had reps from Total War series. I love Total War, own Rome: Total War, original Medieval Total War, and both Empire and Napoleon Total War plus all expansions for these including the rare Alexander the Great Expansion for Rome Total War.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
NiGHTS and Vyse will get be to buy Sega Smash. Vectorman and Miku (:p) will get me to buy it day one. :awesome:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I prefer the Tassadar, or Artanis myself
There are so many classic characters between the Starcraft, Diablo, and Warcraft series that Blizzard alone could make a cross-over fighter and it likely sell very well. It would likely be amazing too as Blizzard never really fails to make great games. (I know a lot of people hate D3 but what I have played so far I love. I don't own the game but have tried it for several hours. Saving for a new computer that can run it but always end up buying other stuff like a recliner for my new place or paying a loan off. Hard to justify getting a computer for one game).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For Sega Smash, I would probably use Reala, Metal Sonic, and Earthworm Jim if they had him (He's 3rd party after all)

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'd buy anything with Ristar or Beat. I also wouldn't mind someone from a classic Phantasy Star game...Sega All-Stars Fighter...I always thought it could be fun if the gameplay is a la Power Stone or whatever...*sigh* I'm still hoping we'll get one some day...

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
IMO for Heroes of Might and Magic character I would probably go with Sandro or Gelu.
also I'm unsure how Glados would work as a fighter.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As long as it isn't anything like Playstation All-Stars. I played it for like a day and decided it was terrible

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd take Raphael, Ai Ai, Arle Nadja and Billy Hatcher with a heartbeat. I guess Sonic too because I like Sonic. (-lvl-)

SSBF: Makes some sense, though I hope it isn't true. There's also rumours of Starfy being planned as playable due some interesting things (plenty of Starfy-stickers, Stapy/Starly being Assist Trophy, Starfy having some animations ready like idle animation and so on. Also my theory of Squirtle's Down Tilt being similar to Hi Hat Spit from Starfy 4 and 5 gives me a feeling that Starfy might have been Squirtle at some point.)

volbound1700

Smash Master
IMO for Heroes of Might and Magic character I would probably go with Sandro or Gelu.
also I'm unsure how Glados would work as a fighter.
I had Gelu in my original post on this topic. I had one from Heroes II (The King cannot remember name off top of head now), Gelu for Heroes III, and Emilia Nighthaven for Heroes IV although Solmyr makes a great character.

I never played Warcraft III or WoW so I am limited on Blizzard although I loved the first two Warcrafts and played them a lot.

Zergling is the most epic Starcraft character IMO.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What about King Grant?

His games were the top selling in the 90's for PC

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'd take Raphael, Ai Ai, Arle Nadja and Billy Hatcher with a heartbeat. I guess Sonic too because I like Sonic. (-lvl-)

SSBF: Makes some sense, though I hope it isn't true. There's also rumours of Starfy being planned as playable due some interesting things (plenty of Starfy-stickers, Stapy/Starly being Assist Trophy, Starfy having some animations ready like idle animation and so on. Also my theory of Squirtle's Down Tilt being similar to Hi Hat Spit from Starfy 4 and 5 gives me a feeling that Starfy might have been Squirtle at some point.)
Did you know that if you order the Trophies in the gallery by category, Stapy's trophy will be under the "Fighter Related" category along with Animal Crossing Trophies?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Makes me wonder if Sakurai scrapped Starfy and Ridley for Squirtle and Charizard...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I had Gelu in my original post on this topic. I had one from Heroes II (The King cannot remember name off top of head now), Gelu for Heroes III, and Emilia Nighthaven for Heroes IV although Solmyr makes a great character.

I never played Warcraft III or WoW so I am limited on Blizzard although I loved the first two Warcrafts and played them a lot.

Zergling is the most epic Starcraft character IMO.
Play Warcraft III, it's a damn good game. WoW is a MMO and not strategy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom