• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Arkadenik: That I mean. Which is why I still little bit positive about Starfy MAYBE been Squirtle.

If someone could make Starfy-model for Squirtle, might try to test that in PM. At least see if any of the animations might match Starfys.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It could also mean they took inspiration from other games for Squirtles moves.

They do that with a lot of characters

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Psycho: I think you mean in means of being generic moves, but straight borrowing them from other characters from other games? Haven't seen that much... (I mean Mario parodies Ryu with Super Jump Punch, but yeah.)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Psycho: I think you mean in means of being generic moves, but straight borrowing them from other characters from other games? Haven't seen that much... (I mean Mario parodies Ryu with Super Jump Punch, but yeah.)
If I remember correctly. Ness's Yoyo moves were based off Kirby's Yoyo hat of one of the older Kirby games I believe...

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok this is close to the original post, may have some new ones. Better roster for Steam/Valve PC Brothers game:

Zergling - Starcraft
Queen of Blades - Starcraft
Jim Raynor - Starcraft

Guldan - Warcraft
Orc - Warcraft
Mr. T Night-elf Mohawk - Joke Character

Necromancer - Diablo
Baal - Diablo
Diablo - Diablo

Doom Guy - Doom
Strogg - Quake
Commander Keen - Keen
Imp - Doom
Hitler - Wolfenstein

Solmyr - Heroes of Might and Magic IV
Gelu - Heroes of Might and Magic III
Sandro - Heroes of Might and Magic III

Antaran - Master of Orion
Settler - Civilization used farmer equipment, joke character
Spy - Civilization

Sim - The Sims
Space Invader - Space Invaders

GLaDos - Portal
Coach - Left 4 Dead
Witch - Left 4 Dead
Gordon Freeman - Half-Life

Hunter - Oregon Trail, when you go out to Hunt, would be epic
Carmen San Diego - Carmen San Diego games
Angry Bird - Angry Birds
Caster - Everquest
Kyle Katern - Disney/Dark Forces
Paul Atreides - Dune

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gul'dan is my favorite Warcraft character, sure, but Thrall is probably the character they would pick

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Squirtle's aerial down+A move resembles Starfy's trademark spinning attack.

Squirtle's Side Special could have been Starfy's mighty star spin since Squirtle's move doesn't slide backward like Yoshi's egg roll... and Starfy's mighty star spin only goes forward while in motion.

Squirtle's Up Special could have been Starfy's Turbo Swim or Surf Jump where Starfy jumps out of the water.

Squirtle's smash down+A move resembles Starfy's duck & slide animation.

Squirtle's wall cling could have been inspired by Starfy's wall jump.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Gul'dan is my favorite Warcraft character, sure, but Thrall is probably the character they would pick
You are probably right. I don't remember Thrall, he was likely for a game after Warcraft II and I have only played up to the Warcraft II Expansion.

I think that line-up could compete with Smash Brothers honestly.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Atlas and P-Body would work better than GLaDos as the Portal reps. Or Chell directly. I see her as a boss or part of a stage.
Or Cave Johnson, BURNING HOUSES DOWN WITH LEMONS.

volbound1700

Smash Master
GLaDos is the character everyone knows - He is the face of the franchise. Atlas could be in it too. Portal has enough to get 2 reps. I never owned Portal but played it over a friend's house. Looks like a great game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kiwi: I guess this applies to Up-Smash of Ness though? (Might also say that the move is also more of the general "Round The World"-yoyo trick.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You are probably right. I don't remember Thrall, he was likely for a game after Warcraft II and I have only played up to the Warcraft II Expansion.
Thrall is from Warcraft III, being the main character for the Orc campaign alongside Grom Hellscream.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I think that line-up could compete with Smash Brothers honestly.
Thrall is a Disney Orc...(Seriously, he is...)

He was the Orc hero from Warcraft 3 and the Orc Warchief in WoW up until Cataclysm

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kiwi: I guess this applies to Up-Smash of Ness though? (Might also say that the move is also more of the general "Round The World"-yoyo trick.)
Well if I remember correctly they were both the same to the way Kirby did it. So he may be based on it I think. They were both Sakurai's games I think so it isn't too surprising I guess.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
NiGHTS and Vyse will get be to buy Sega Smash. Vectorman and Miku (:p) will get me to buy it day one. :awesome:
Sega is probably the only other game company aside from Nintendo that has the roster able to pull off a mascot fighter, and yes that includes Sony and Capcom as well.

Off the top of my head I would want the ones you listed (except Miku). I would also want Ristar (though I am not sure how he would work), Blaze from Streets of Rage, Toejam and/or Earl, and Asho from Monster World IV.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ehh... well we already do have a lot of mage characters with the Heroes, Everquest, etc. series. GLaDos would be neat because he would use traps and other items to kill characters.

Necromancer from Diablo II would also have a lot of great abilities. Poison explosion, corpse explosion, bone arrow, summon Golem, etc.

There is so many possibilities with these game series.

I heard the Orcs turned good in War3 at times which kind of sucks. IMO, I liked the Warlock class from Warcraft 1 the best and especially over the Ogre-Magi and Death Knights although Death Knights were fun.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm just sayin', if you want someone to represent the "Generic Orc" you'd have someone more grunt like

I'd like Grom Hellscream, but he died in Warcraft 3...

I'd then say his son, Gorrosh, but I hate Gorrosh and he doesn't have green skin.

(Gul'Dan would be MY pick of choice. Even though he's a warlock and wouldn't represent the nature of Orcs too well)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In order for Sega to pull off a Smash fighter game is to not fill it up with Sonic furries and actually adds characters from different franchises.

In order for Capcom to pull off a Smash fighter is to not fill it up with Street Fighters and actually adds characters from different franchises, especially from different genres besides fighting and beat' em up.

Just my two cents.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Grom Hellscream could work for generic orc. Gul'dan died too but I think he would be the best for Warcraft/Warlock/Death Knight character even over Thrall. He in the long run had more involvement in the story since he is the one that technically brought the Orcs to Azeroth by talking to Meylar.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In order for Sega to pull off a Smash fighter game is to not fill it up with Sonic furries and actually adds characters from different franchises.

In order for Capcom to pull off a Smash fighter is to not fill it up with Street Fighters and actually adds characters from different franchises, especially from different genres besides fighting and beat' em up.

Just my two cents.
and I'd love it IF it was just filled with Sonic characters

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Then it cannot be called Sonic & All Stars. It's just Sonic Fighters Redux. :awesome:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Sega is probably the only other game company aside from Nintendo that has the roster able to pull off a mascot fighter, and yes that includes Sony and Capcom as well.
Oh c'mon that's not true. Sony could, easily, and Capcom too. They would rely a lot on retro characters but that's not a problem really. Now PSABR didn't work at all but that doesn't mean it hadn't have the chance from the start.
Even Rare could put out a decent mascot brawler...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh c'mon that's not true. Sony could, easily, and Capcom too. They would rely a lot on retro characters but that's not a problem really. Now PSABR didn't work at all but that doesn't mean it hadn't have the chance from the start.
Even Rare could put out a decent mascot brawler...
Capcom could, I agree

Sony...tried

But Sega would be the one I would be most interested in

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Playstation All Stars didn't work because the gameplay was pretty subpar and probably worse than even Smash 64, not because of the character choices.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Playstation All Stars didn't work because the gameplay was pretty subpar and probably worse than even Smash 64, not because of the character choices.
Some of the characters choices were a little strange though. And some of the omissions were glaring, even if it wasn't Sony's fault.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Strange how they got both Clockw0rk and Seth Killian and the game still didn't do well.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm... I didn't expect just one post of mine to derail the thread so completely. lol :awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, the 3rd parties they used (and didn't use) were just about the worst part of the roster imo. Heihachi was... passable.

Hmm... I didn't expect just one post of mine to derail the thread so completely. lol :awesome:
It's not hard to derail something that's barely on the tracks anyway. :smirk:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, the have used Heihachi as a Sony exclusive character in Soul Calibur before

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Volbound:
Personally I would replace the Mr. T Night-elf Mohawk with Leeroy Jenkins, but thats just me.
The problem with Glados is that she's Hanging in the Ceiling. that would movement with her seems very weird.
Also i'm not sure why Space invaders is there since that is more of an arcade thing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, the have used Heihachi as a Sony exclusive character in Soul Calibur before
Yeah, and Tekken's most closely related with Sony, so that's why he's the only one I didn't really mind. Didn't like Big Daddy, Dante, Raiden, or Isaac Clarke's inclusion too much. Especially since they were all so clearly mostly for the monies. :rolleyes:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sony doesn't have the IP. They missed out on Lara Croft and Crash Bandicoot which could have brought a little more legitimacy to the game. Spyro would have been another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom