• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I like how you assume we are young because we do not know about certain things.

You're probably younger than we are.
Honestly, I have a guy on here who doesn't know Doom when it was like basically the Call of Duty of the early and mid 1990s. Doom was everywhere! Ever FPS game, Duke Nukem, Quake, etc was based of Doom. The first real FPS that was not a clone of Doom was Goldeneye and that didn't come until almost a decade after Doom.

Type Doom into youtube and see how many hits you get. Although it was crappy, they even made a movie about the game.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
@ KumaOsa You must be like 12 years old if you haven't heard of Doom, Starcraft, etc.

Granted most of these games heyday was in the 1990s but many of them are still being played online to this very day.
Don't insult the man, Volbound. Not everybody was into PC gaming back in the day. Hell, even I really wasn't; I just dabbled. I've always been more attuned to console gaming than I have been with PC gaming.

Smooth Criminal

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ KumaOsa You must be like 12 years old if you haven't heard of Doom, Starcraft, etc.

Granted most of these games heyday was in the 1990s but many of them are still being played online to this very day.
Sorry I'm not part of the PC Master Race.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sorry I'm not part of the PC Master Race.
Doom series has had well known games on Playstation, N64, and Xbox as well althrough the real quality was on the PC I admit.

Blizzard has never really gone onto console so I can understand that. However there is plenty of pop culture references out there (Southpark's WOW episode for example or the Doom movie).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I request a change of topic. :troll:
Topics available from the topic vending machine:
- Fire Emblem (1,00€) - HOT!
- Pokémon (1,50€) - Smasher's pick!
- Waifus (3,50€) - 50% off!
- Fire Emblem: Deluxe Edition (6,00€) - Available until April 19th!
- Actual Smash Bros. Roster Discussion (1000€) - Worth your time!

Pick one. No refunds.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, I have a guy on here who doesn't know Doom when it was like basically the Call of Duty of the early and mid 1990s. Doom was everywhere! Ever FPS game, Duke Nukem, Quake, etc was based of Doom. The first real FPS that was not a clone of Doom was Goldeneye and that didn't come until almost a decade after Doom.

Type Doom into youtube and see how many hits you get. Although it was crappy, they even made a movie about the game.

I like Doom. I already know about these things. Kuma simply did not. He just didn't know. Kind of like how you didn't know about Capcom's and Namco's successful series.

Stop assuming things. It makes you look idiotic and judgmental. Being as nice as I can here.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Capcom, Square Enix, and Namco-Bandai have the characters to pull off a GOOD Crosser fighting game. SEGA, and, Konami could pull off a decent one as well. Sony and Microsoft, cannot.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, let's change the subject to Duck Hunt Dog. :troll:

He might work as a zoning fighter with those ducks and clay pigeons. :awesome:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Capcom, Square Enix, and Namco-Bandai have the characters to pull off a GOOD Crosser fighting game. SEGA, and, Konami could pull off a decent one as well. Sony and Microsoft, cannot.
I agree, i mean Project X Zone alone looks awesome.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Topics available from the topic vending machine:
- Fire Emblem (1,00€) - HOT!
- Pokémon (1,50€) - Smasher's pick!
- Waifus (3,50€) - 50% off!
- Fire Emblem: Deluxe Edition (6,00€) - Available until April 19th!
- Actual Smash Bros. Roster Discussion (1000€) - Worth your time!

Pick one. No refunds.
But I don't have any Euros. :c

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Doom series has had well known games on Playstation, N64, and Xbox as well althrough the real quality was on the PC I admit.

Blizzard has never really gone onto console so I can understand that. However there is plenty of pop culture references out there (Southpark's WOW episode for example or the Doom movie).
Look, I know OF those series you mentioned. I just never really played them. I've never really been into FPS games unless you want to toss the Prime series into that. That's like me mentioning I-No, Zafina, Mu-12, or Urien to you. Chances are you have no idea who any of those people are yet I do.

volbound1700

Smash Master

I like Doom. I already know about these things. Kuma simply did not. He just didn't know. Kind of like how you didn't know about Capcom's and Namco's successful series.

Stop assuming things. It makes you look idiotic and judgmental. Being as nice as I can here.

I do know about Capcom and Namco's successful series. I have often defended how big Megaman and Pac-man are and before the PC talk was arguing that is part of their reason to include into Smash.

I played Megaman on original NES, Pac-Man on arcade and computer. I also know that Namco made Tekken which was in arcades all over the place. Capcom has Resident Evil, Megaman, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Okami (I love this game), and also done some other great games that feature Disney or other characters (I believe Duck Tales was Capcom). However, despite all of this, I still think Blizzard and ID Software are at least on par if not greater then Capcom based on how HUGE some of their titles have been to the video game industry.

Doom is pretty much the top all-time FPS game in most ratings.
WoW defined online role-players - was not the first one but biggest one
Starcraft and Diablo are still played religiously online. Starcraft is like the game of South Korea.
Quake was very huge in its day but was in reality a partial Doom Clone.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
But I don't have any Euros. :c
I forgot to mention that the vending machine accepts other currencies: Pound Sterling, US Dollars, Japanese Yen, Chinese Yuan, Korean Won and Indian Rupees. My bad.

You can hop those values on the converter and there you go. So, which will it be?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only FPS games I actually played are Metroid Prime and Medal of Honor: Frontline.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
You mention games, not characters,
besides, didn't you just call the main character of doom "doom guy", your saying the character is iconic but you don't know his name

edit: looks like his name is doomguy my mistake

volbound1700

Smash Master
To put it to rest. The Walk of Game was formed to crown the greatest all-time game/characters/developers.

Mario, Link, Sonic, Lara Croft made character list.

Halo, Final Fantasy, Starcraft, and Everquest made the game list

John Carmack (developer of Doom), Sid Meier, Shigeru Miyamoto, and Nolan Bushnell made developer list.

That is it. As you can see Blizzard and ID Software have representation in that but no Capcom or Namco.

Go to all-time video game ratings and there are likely as much if not more Blizzard and ID Software games in there then Namco and Capcom.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
To put it to rest. The Walk of Game was formed to crown the greatest all-time game/characters/developers.

John Carmack (developer of Doom), Sid Meier, Shigeru Miyamoto, and Nolan Bushnell made developer list.

That is it. As you can see Blizzard and ID Software have representation in that but no Capcom or Namco.
Is that the best argument you can get? Seriously?

Developers don't necessarily make their characters iconic. No correlation.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Go to all-time video game ratings and there are likely as much if not more Blizzard and ID Software games in there then Namco and Capcom.
So no need to include Mega Man and Pac-Man in Smash then. :troll:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Starcraft #7 IGN all-time video game list, Doom #39,

Other titles from PC Smash I listed (Civilization 2, Half-Life, Sim City, Alpha Centar, Sid Meier Pirates, X-Com, Dune II) all in IGN top 50 all-time games. All were in my listed PC Smash.

I can go to Gamespy as well, I bet Doom, Starcraft, Civilization, and likely some Sim game is in top 50 in that as well.

So no need to include Mega Man and Pac-Man in Smash then. :troll:

That did make me lol a little haha.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do know about Capcom and Namco's successful series. I have often defended how big Megaman and Pac-man are and before the PC talk was arguing that is part of their reason to include into Smash.

I played Megaman on original NES, Pac-Man on arcade and computer. I also know that Namco made Tekken which was in arcades all over the place. Capcom has Resident Evil, Megaman, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Okami (I love this game), and also done some other great games that feature Disney or other characters (I believe Duck Tales was Capcom). However, despite all of this, I still think Blizzard and ID Software are at least on par if not greater then Capcom based on how HUGE some of their titles have been to the video game industry.

Doom is pretty much the top all-time FPS game in most ratings.
WoW defined online role-players - was not the first one but biggest one
Starcraft and Diablo are still played religiously online. Starcraft is like the game of South Korea.
Quake was very huge in its day but was in reality a partial Doom Clone.
Megaman: Redefined the sidescolling genre.
Street Fighter: REVOLUTIONIZED the fighting genre.
Devil May Cry: Regarded as one of the greatest action series of all time.
Resident Evil: THE most iconic horror series of all time.
Okami: Regarded as one of the most artistic games of all time.
Ace Attorney: Redefined point and click adventure games.
Final Fight: Hailed as the best Beat-em-up of all time.
MONSTER HUNTER: It gave birth to an entire GENRE iirc.

There are some series that Capcom has made that have impacted the game industry as much as the PC games you mentioned. And those were just off of the top of my head.

Several smaller series like Viewtiful Joe, Darkstalers, Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma, Dead Rising, Strider, Gargoyles Quest, Ghost and Goblins, and Bionic Commando are successful and recognizable as well.

This is everything ONE company has done.

You keep arguing that these SEPARATE and INDIVIDUAL companies and their feats should be grouped together, in an attempt to give your argument some validity. You are taking several companies, putting them into a group and comparing it to just ONE. Keep it even and only compare one company to another company. Not one to five!!!! Now give me just ONE PC company who has done anywhere near the amount of things Capcom has done. Valve is the only one that comes remotely close.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Street Fighter did revolutionize the fighting industry and Resident Evil is huge. I will give both of them but I never saw the hype for either that I saw with Doom and I have lived through the period of all three games.

Also Doom is considered the fore runner of ever First Person Shooter although it wasn't the first one (in fact ID Softwares Wolfenstein came before it) it was the first truely popular one.

To give you an idea about how big Doom is just read this excerpt:

Doom was widely praised in the gaming press and is widely regarded as one of the most important and influential titles in gaming history. In 1996, Computer Gaming World ranked it as the fifth best video game of all time.[21] In 2001, Doom was voted the number one game of all time in a poll among over 100 game developers and journalists conducted by GameSpy.[22] In 2003, IGN ranked it as the 44th top video game of all time and also called it "the breakthrough game of 1993", adding: "Its arsenal of powerful guns (namely the shotgun and BFG), intense level of gore and perfect balance of adrenaline-soaked action and exploration kept this gamer riveted for years."[23] PC Gamer proclaimed Doom the most influential game of all time in its ten-year anniversary issue in April 2004. In 2005, IGN ranked it as the 39th top game.[24] In 2009, GameTrailers ranked Doom as number one "breakthrough PC game".[25] In 2009, Game Informer put Doom sixth on their list of the games of all time, stating that it gave "the genre the kick start it needed to rule the gaming landscape two decades later."[26] In 2012, Time named it one of the 100 greatest video games of all time as "it established the look and feel of later shooters as surely as Xerox PARC established the rules of the virtual desktop," adding that "its impact also owes a lot to the gonzo horror sensibility of its designers, including John Romero, who showed a bracing lack of restraint in their deployment of gore and Satanic iconography."[27] Including Doom on the list of the greatest games of all time, GameSpot wrote that "despite its numerous appearances in other formats and on other media, longtime fans will forever remember the original 1993 release of Doom as the beginning of a true revolution in action gaming."[28]

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
ones again your mention GAMES not CHARACTERS

Right now I have the guinness book of world records: gamers addition 2011,

In this book they conducted a pole asking about the top 50 characters in gaming, over 13,000 people voted

The publisher with the most characters was nintendo with 11 characters, followed by sony with 6, and CAPCOM, with 5, not a single blizzard character, id character, and 1 valve character (Gordan Freeman)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So much mention of Blizzard and Id Software and NO MENTION OF WESTWOOD STUDIOS THAT MADE COMMAND AND CONQUER.

May that company rest in peace... oh wait they can't, since they were buried in the EA Graveyard.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Some info about Starcraft for the uninformed:

StarCraft's use of three distinct races is often credited for having revolutionized the real-time strategy genre.[citation needed] GameSpot described StarCraft as "The defining game of its genre. It is the standard by which all real-time strategy games are judged."[5] IGN stated that StarCraft "is hands down one of the best, if not the best, real-time strategy games ever created."[83] StarCraft is frequently included in the industry's best games rankings, for example it ranked 37 in Edge's top 100 games of all time.[3] StarCraft has even been taken into space, as Daniel Barry took a copy of the game with him on the Space Shuttle mission STS-96 in 1999.[85] StarCraft's popularity resulted in Guinness World Records awarding the game four world records, including "Best Selling PC Strategy Game," "Largest Income in Professional Gaming," and "Largest Audience for a Game Competition" when 120,000 fans turned out to watch the final of the SKY proleague season 2005 in Busan, South Korea.[86] Researchers have shown that the audience for watching StarCraft games is diverse and that StarCraft uses instances of information asymmetry to make the game more entertaining for spectators.[87] In addition, StarCraft has been the subject of an academic course; UC Berkeley offered a student-run introductory course on theory and strategy in spring 2009.[88][89] The verb "to rush" has entered general usage as a gaming term to refer to the tactic of zerg rushing an opponent with a very large force of weak units.[90]
After its release, StarCraft rapidly grew in popularity in South Korea, eventually making its way to become the country's national e-sport after establishing a successful pro-gaming scene.[91] Professional gamers in South Korea are media celebrities, and StarCraft games are broadcast over three television channels dedicated to the professional gaming scene.[92] Professional gamers in South Korea have gained television contracts, sponsorships, and tournament prizes, allowing one of the most famous players, Lim Yo-Hwan,[93] to gain a fan club of over half a million people.[9] One player, Lee Yun-Yeol, reported earnings in 2005 of US$200,000 ($235,100 in 2013).[80]
StarCraft was part of the US Air Force's Aerospace Basic Course, used to teach newly active officers about crisis planning under stress and joint service teamwork.[94] Other efforts to make more 'realistic' current-day battle software led to distractions when simulated hardware didn't align with the real hardware active duty officers knew about. The science fiction setting allowed students to focus on the battle tactics.

Note that they had 120,000 fans show up for a Starcraft event.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Street Fighter did revolutionize the fighting industry and Resident Evil is huge. I will give both of them but I never saw the hype for either that I saw with Doom and I have lived through the period of all three games.

Also Doom is considered the fore runner of ever First Person Shooter although it wasn't the first one (in fact ID Softwares Wolfenstein came before it) it was the first truely popular one.

To give you an idea about how big Doom is just read this excerpt:

Doom was widely praised in the gaming press and is widely regarded as one of the most important and influential titles in gaming history. In 1996, Computer Gaming World ranked it as the fifth best video game of all time.[21] In 2001, Doom was voted the number one game of all time in a poll among over 100 game developers and journalists conducted by GameSpy.[22] In 2003, IGN ranked it as the 44th top video game of all time and also called it "the breakthrough game of 1993", adding: "Its arsenal of powerful guns (namely the shotgun and BFG), intense level of gore and perfect balance of adrenaline-soaked action and exploration kept this gamer riveted for years."[23] PC Gamer proclaimed Doom the most influential game of all time in its ten-year anniversary issue in April 2004. In 2005, IGN ranked it as the 39th top game.[24] In 2009, GameTrailers ranked Doom as number one "breakthrough PC game".[25] In 2009, Game Informer put Doom sixth on their list of the games of all time, stating that it gave "the genre the kick start it needed to rule the gaming landscape two decades later."[26] In 2012, Time named it one of the 100 greatest video games of all time as "it established the look and feel of later shooters as surely as Xerox PARC established the rules of the virtual desktop," adding that "its impact also owes a lot to the gonzo horror sensibility of its designers, including John Romero, who showed a bracing lack of restraint in their deployment of gore and Satanic iconography."[27] Including Doom on the list of the greatest games of all time, GameSpot wrote that "despite its numerous appearances in other formats and on other media, longtime fans will forever remember the original 1993 release of Doom as the beginning of a true revolution in action gaming."[28]
Yes. What about the other series? They all made huge accomplishments as well.

Never said Doom didn't do anything like that or that it wasn't huge. I'm just saying Capcom has made several huge series as well and 8>1.

I said that you are comparing multiple companies to just one. A point that you ignored.

Lol Satanic iconography.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
ones again your mention GAMES not CHARACTERS
Pretty much this. I thought the argument was Mascot Fighters? Certain games may be memorable but that doesn't mean the characters themselves are and or are fit to be put into a fighting game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
bowser
princess peach
ash ketchum (yes they put ash instead of red)
donkey kong
zelda
yoshi
pikachu
kirby
samus
link
mario

volbound1700

Smash Master
Doom Guy isn't iconic? Also ID Software made Commander Keen which was very iconic in his day and his games were played a lot in the public school system like Oregon Trail. You have Quake and Wolfenstein but yes after that ID Software didn't publish much.

Blizzard is pretty much 3-4 game series. Their Vikings game isn't quite as popular, it would about about the level of Pikmin or F-Zero Smash wise but you have Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo all iconic.

Kerrigan, the Overmind, and Diablo are a top 100 villian all-times. Jim Raynor, Thrall, and Gul-dan are well known. However, since most the games are strategies, generic characters like Zergling are better known. Night Elves are also a common race from WoW along with all the WoW castes you play as.

The Zerg is an all-time villian race up their with the Borg in Star Trek and Covenent in Halo when it comes to well-known villians.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Look, I like Warcraft and like its characters, but they aren't nearly as iconic as big names like Mario, Pikachu, Pac-Man, Sonic or Mega Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom