• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Capcom could, I agree

Sony...tried

But Sega would be the one I would be most interested in
Lol "try" is a really strong word. Sony tried to make a Smash Bros. clone to advertise new games, that's true. But didn't really try to make a good mascot brawler. And that's the result we got.
Sega would be nice. Maybe Nintendo Vs Capcom Vs Sega lol

volbound1700

Smash Master
Volbound:
Personally I would replace the Mr. T Night-elf Mohawk with Leeroy Jenkins, but thats just me.
The problem with Glados is that she's Hanging in the Ceiling. that would movement with her seems very weird.
Also i'm not sure why Space invaders is there since that is more of an arcade thing.

Ah perhaps I am getting mixed up because I thought GLaDos also floated around and talked to you. That maybe Atlas.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe Nintendo Vs Capcom Vs Sega lol
Personally, I'd rather have Nintendo vs. Capcom, and a separate Sega mascot brawler.

Isn't that the point of these Smash like games? Da monies
Not to Sakurai...

But I meant money they would bring to the 3rd-party games through the PSASBR promotion, not the money the game itself would earn.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I see a PC Smash Bros topic.

There is no mention of Team Fortress 2 at all.

At least put Heavy of there.

And Volbound, for the record Glados is a she.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
It still surprises me that Capcom has yet to include Dr Wily in a VS. game

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah I am reading that now. GLaDos directs you through the room and is most of the time a voice but there are times when she forms a camera and floats around with you like Guilty Spark on Halo. That would be the form in the game.

Team Fortress 2 would be great as well, please provide character ideas as I haven't played. I am not the ultimate be all of knowledge so I could use some help haha.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also King's Quest's King Grant as a character in the PC Smash

It still surprises me that Capcom has yet to include Dr Wily in a VS. game
Well, they are also omitting Mega Man, so it's no real surprise

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In order for Capcom to pull off a Smash fighter is to not fill it up with Street Fighters and actually adds characters from different franchises, especially from different genres besides fighting and beat' em up.
Way easier than you might think. The only Street Fighter characters I can see them adding not in Marvel already would be Bison, Rita Repulsa Juri, and Cammy.

You've got Darkstalkers (Talbain pls), Power Stone, Ace Attorney, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Asura's Wrath, etc. to work with.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah I am reading that now. GLaDos directs you through the room and is most of the time a voice but there are times when she forms a camera and floats around with you like Guilty Spark on Halo. That would be the form in the game.

Team Fortress 2 would be great as well, please provide character ideas as I haven't played. I am not the ultimate be all of knowledge so I could use some help haha.
I did state the Heavy as a suggestion.

He needs to punch baby Freeman is the face!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Haha that looks classic Swampasaur.

What would you think of a PC-style Steam Smash chances against the real Smash Brothers? Would it do better than Sony All-Stars?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

What would you think of a PC-style Steam Smash chances against the real Smash Brothers? Would it do better than Sony All-Stars?
No actually. I don't think it would do better than Sony All-Stars. Sega, Capcom and Namco are the only ones left that could make a smash game to rival smash. Earlier I would have said Sony, but we all know how that turned out.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

No. All-Stars couldn't just flat out copy the all of the game mechanic of smash bros. So they respectfully created their own system. But it ended up being flawed in many ways. I think a steam smash would fall under the same path.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Da Heavy for TF2 rep is good. Perhaps Pyro, Spy or Soldier as well...Hmm idk really. I forgot, but wasn't Heavy, Spy, and Pyro in All-Stars Racing Transformed for the PC version?

volbound1700

Smash Master
No actually. I don't think it would do better than Sony All-Stars. Sega, Capcom and Namco are the only ones left that could make a smash game to rival smash. Earlier I would have said Sony, but we all know how that turned out.
Capcom and Namco do not have the memorable characters that Blizzard, ID Software, or Valve possess, especially Blizzard with the Diablo-Starcraft-Warcraft trio.

Gordon Freeman?
Protagonist from Half-Life 1. I am not sure, never played Half-Life just know it is very popular and made by Steam.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Capcom and Namco do not have the memorable characters that Blizzard, ID Software, or Valve possess, especially Blizzard with the Diablo-Starcraft-Warcraft trio.
But Namco has Pac-Man whom you constantly praise the iconicness of. :troll: Not to mention Capcom's Ryu and Megaman who have become icons of gaming as well. Not to mention several smaller series. When it comes to icons, the only PC company that comes close is Valve.

They all have memorable character but that isn't the point as its suggestive and relative to the individual as you just showed.

Things is. A PC smash like you say would need to involve several huge companies while Namco,Capcom and Sega are their own individual companies respectively and do not have to rely on others to make it work.

The legal mumbo jumbo would be way too big and complicated to deal with, plus there is little to no demand for such a thing while Sega and Capcom allstars fighting games are common requests actually. Namco allstars isn't common but it still has potential.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
Agree with Valve, disagree with ID and Blizzard. Then again, very few companies can compete with Valve on that level.

Bear in mind that Capcom has released Resident Evil, Okami, Devil May Cry and Mega Man. You may not care for the characters in that game, but I defy you to name a single Blizzard character who is on that kind of iconic level.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Agree with Valve, disagree with ID and Blizzard. Then again, very few companies can compete with Valve on that level.

Bear in mind that Capcom has released Resident Evil, Okami, Devil May Cry and Mega Man. You may not care for the characters in that game, but I defy you to name a single Blizzard character who is on that kind of iconic level.
Kerrigan, Thrall for two

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Kerrigan, Thrall for two
Lost Vikings, Deckard Cain, and Diablo for another five.

Blizzard's roster is pretty iconic in its own right, especially considering their niche nowadays (PC). Gotta give 'em credit where credit's due.

Smooth Criminal

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I couldn't agree more. SEGA has enough characters to pull this off, as long as there is only 3 Sonic characters. I'd like Bayonetta, Gilius, Beat, Phantom R, Ash the Undead Rabbit, Vyse, NiGHTS, Joe Musashi, Ulala, Billy Hatcher, Michael Jackson (as the third party since he helped out in the past), Kasumi (as another third party because Dead or Alive was considered Virtua Fighter's competition in the past), Ryo Hazuki, Akira Yuki, Amigo, AiAi, BD Joe, and Alex Kidd.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wouldn't say Blizzard isn't iconic, but they aren't Ryu, or Megaman.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I didn't say Megaman and Pac-Man were not iconic lol, I said Blizzard had more.

World of Warcraft had a cult following. Diablo II and Starcraft I are still being played online today and they are over 10 years old. Blizzard has plenty of iconic and legendary quality games. It is a different genre then most of you play (strategy or hack and slash RPG) but it is a massive genre.

Yes Capcom has Resident Evil and Megaman but you cannot get a whole lot after that and I venture to say that not a single Capcom game has outsold Starcraft, Diablo II, or World of Warcraft.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I
Yes Capcom has Resident Evil and Megaman but you cannot get a whole lot after that and I venture to say that not a single Capcom game has outsold Starcraft, Diablo II, or World of Warcraft.
Sales talk suck. And there are plenty of iconic series Capcom has to their name.

volbound1700

Smash Master
ID Software also has Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake all four very well known series with iconic characters.

Look on youtube for Doom 2 videos and Wads, they are still all over the place. Doom II was practically the game that popularized First Person Shooters and also Horror Survival. The entire FPS industry at its time copied the Doom model.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I hardly know how those games even play. Therefore, they are not iconic because I have no idea who even the characters are in those games. At least I know of Kerrigan from Starcraft and a good chunk of the Valve characters.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I wasn't trying to say that Blizz had more iconic characters than other companies. I was just saying that they had iconic characters that are on par with the staples of other companies, but in a niche. That'll be the day when Blizzard characters become as ubiquitous as the likes of Mario and Mega Man in more mainstream gaming; until then, it's more of a cult following, platform-specific sorta thing.

Smooth Criminal

volbound1700

Smash Master
@ KumaOsa You must be like 12 years old if you haven't heard of Doom, Starcraft, etc.

Granted most of these games heyday was in the 1990s but many of them are still being played online to this very day.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Can really only see Nintendo, Capcom, Namco Bandai, and Sega being able to pull off a mascot fighter, and maybe Sony since PSASBR exists I guess. Konami has some good brand recognition and IPs, but I don't think outside of Metal Gear and Castlevania that any of them would be suited to fighting, although it would be awesome to use the Spread Gun or beat up on the Vic Viper.

Not into the PC scene, so whatever, honestly the only PC characters I know are Gordon Freeman, Glados, Comander Shepard, and the Creeper from Minecraft, and I've only played the latter. Would only go so far as to say Freeman is up there with Mario/Sonic/Megaman & Ryu/Pac Man. Also what Kuma said on sales.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@ KumaOsa You must be like 12 years old if you haven't heard of Doom, Starcraft, etc.

Granted most of these games heyday was in the 1990s but many of them are still being played online to this very day.
I like how you assume we are young because we do not know about certain things.

You're probably younger than we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom