• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Speaking of Golden Sun. If a character gets in, which do you think it will be?

My brother is a fan of the series but I personally haven't played it. Issac is usually thrown around but I know he apparently has a son named Matthew. Or maybe even Felix will be added...
I don't know enough to make any logical guesses. :l
I think it'll be Isaac. He's currently the Marth of his series (main protagonist in the first game, major role in the second and a supporting role in the third) and he is by far the most wanted character from Golden Sun, placing among the Top 10 most wanted characters (around #5-#6).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Isaac would make more sense then Matthew, really. From the games that defined the series and what it's loved for (than somewhat mediocre sequel), has been featured before as an AT and is generally the face of the series.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I still have my doubts with Golden Sun. It seems like Golden Sun isn't treated as anything special to the eyes of Sakurai considering how minimal the franchise is implemented in Super Smash Bros. Then again the franchise is nothing special, so it's not going to be a deal breaker.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still have my doubts with Golden Sun. It seems like Golden Sun isn't treated as anything special to the eyes of Samurai considering how minimal the franchise is implemented in Super Smash Bros. Then again the franchise is nothing special, so it's not going to be a deal breaker.
Greatest typo ever? I think so.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Habanero: Wouldn't that then go to many other series which just got an AT-treatment? Like Punch-Out or Legendary Starfy/Densetsu No Stafy? Aren't they then any special to Sakurai too?

D

Deleted member

Habanero: Wouldn't that then go to many other series which just got an AT-treatment? Like Punch-Out or Legendary Starfy/Densetsu No Stafy? Aren't they then any special to Sakurai too?
I seriously doubt Sakurai takes Stafy seriously as a candidate. His Assist Trophy, unlike others, is considered a joke AT. That doesn't mean that Sakurai hates Stafy, but I do think this indicates that Sakurai doesn't take Stafy seriously as playable material.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yes. We discussed this a few pages back. And the bingo board is Shorts, not SSBFs.
Right, forgot that Shorts usually be around moreso than SSBF. It's just the "Shorts/Croph remind you they be gays" space that confused me. Not that I have anything against them since I have friends like that and love shipping of all kinds. :teeth:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In my eyes two characters should throw off their AT shackles and join the ranks of playable characters.

These two happen to be Little Mac and Isaac.

D

Deleted member

In my eyes two characters should throw off their AT shackles and join the ranks of playable characters.

These two happen to be Little Mac and Isaac.
Throw Samurai Goroh in there as well. F-zero is due for a second playable character and Samurai Goroh is the best choice for an addition. Saki is also a good choice as I'm sure Sakurai can make him into an awesome character if Sakurai's fondness for Saki gets him in. I'd also love to see Ray in, but sadly, he has no chance.
~automatic said:
Whoa wait; when did I post something smart? I just come in here to +1, lmao.
Because Smooth Criminal posted smart things.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually, I want all ATs except Lakitu, Barbara, Excitebike rider, Nintendog, Helirin, Devil and Metroid to be playable. Impossible, I know, but one can dream.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I seriously doubt Sakurai takes Stafy seriously as a candidate. His Assist Trophy, unlike others, is considered a joke AT. That doesn't mean that Sakurai hates Stafy, but I do think this indicates that Sakurai doesn't take Stafy seriously as playable material.
I don't necessarily think his AT techniques indicate that Sakurai has no faith in his playability, actually. If the techniques were to signify anything, I'd say that they were more to show his youth and optimism, not assing him to forever be an NPC. Plus, it would sort of work both ways: if an AT behaves rather uniquely, it doesn't mean that it was considered to be playable. Prime example: Lakitu. Sure, he's got the movement and attack of a dynamic AT, and by no means a joke, but I can guarantee that Sakurai never thought of Lakitu being playable.

What more than likely happened was that he was added late as an Assist Trophy, or they didn't have more time to confront TOSE about what Starfy should have done, leaving Sakurai to take some (rather unfortunate) creative liberties.

And if we were to include theories, there was that one theory that Starfy was removed from playability, due to the missing music series near the miscellaneous franchises in the data, Starly appearing in the Fighter-Related trophies, and the lack of any Starfy music, minus the AT jingle, and why Starfy still can jump and has an idle animation, or so it would seem, based on his AT behavior.

But eh, just the way I see things. Starfy's my personal dark horse for SSB4.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That missing music series is still to this day up for debate on what it is. We cannot say what is fact until we hear from the horse's mouth.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That missing music series is still to this day up for debate on what it is. We cannot say what is fact until we hear from the horse's mouth.
There is that Doctor Mario theory I posted a while back. :troll:

I would like to know why people think it's Starfy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Like I said, we don't know for sure if the music series was definitely Starfy, but it's an interesting theory.

D

Deleted member

I don't necessarily think his AT techniques indicate that Sakurai has no faith in his playability, actually. If the techniques were to signify anything, I'd say that they were more to show his youth and optimism, not assing him to forever be an NPC. Plus, it would sort of work both ways: if an AT behaves rather uniquely, it doesn't mean that it was considered to be playable. Prime example: Lakitu. Sure, he's got the movement and attack of a dynamic AT, and by no means a joke, but I can guarantee that Sakurai never thought of Lakitu being playable.

What more than likely happened was that he was added late as an Assist Trophy, or they didn't have more time to confront TOSE about what Starfy should have done, leaving Sakurai to take some (rather unfortunate) creative liberties.

And if we were to include theories, there was that one theory that Starfy was removed from playability, due to the missing music series near the miscellaneous franchises in the data, Starly appearing in the Fighter-Related trophies, and the lack of any Starfy music, minus the AT jingle, and why Starfy still can jump and has an idle animation, or so it would seem, based on his AT behavior.

I have a hard time seeing how being one of the weakest ATs (and one that can be damaged) would be Sakurai representing Stafy's youth and optimism. There were clearly better ways for Sakurai to represent Stafy's in Assist Trophy format but Sakurai clearly didn't use them. Stafy's embarrassing ATs status more likely shows that Sakurai doesn't care about making Stafy playable, unless the theory that Stafy was planned to be playable is true (which we can't prove).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Go look at Marvel vs Capcom which doesn't do that well despite Marvel characters are very popular. Look at Sonic and Sega games which don't do near as well (I don't think the new one even broke 1 million). Now go look at Smash.
Marvel's main medium isn't video games, there is the odd game that sells quite well, but on average, no matter the genre, they sell decently, sure, mostly due to the brand name of the character or Marvel itself, but they typically don't do extremely better than MvC anyway. MvC is in fact one of the better-selling Marvel video games. Their core audience, while it might overlap with gamers, isn't gamers, unlike the core audience of the characters in Smash.

No Sonic games do that well anymore, compared to games with Mario in them. The Sonic and Sega games sell pretty similarly to regular Sonic games, and really the only thing that still causes the Sonic games to be successful is brand recognition. It's not surprising Sega crossovers don't do any better than Sonic games, Sonic (and his dumb friends) are really the only highly marketable one out of all those characters they use. But Sonic isn't in traditional fighters, plus his games are fairly accessible, so I don't quite know why he was brought up...

Brawl is the best selling fighting game ever. It managed to sell over 10 million and that puts it into the top 50 best selling games of all time. Like wise, it has outsold most modern Nintendo games (Mario Kart and NSMB are the only games that use Nintendo characters that outsell it).
I'm not saying the style of gameplay doesn't contribute to the success of the game, the marketability of the characters just contribute more. Unlike Marvel, Smash appeals to the core audience of the characters included, gamers. People are most familiar with Spider-Man from his movies or his comics, that's why he would do better than Mario would in movie or comic book sales. People are most familiar with Mario from games, that's where his audience lies, which is why games with him (even if they include many other characters - as long as Mario is clearly promoted in the game) sell well. The same could apply to the other big names in Smash, but to a lesser extent. Mario got to that point through quality games, sure, and he still has quality games (among weaker ones), but now he can get by on brand recognition. When other characters like Link, Pikachu, Kirby, etc. are also included, that only aggregates more audiences together into the same interest. By now the Smash name itself also has brand recognition, which it got partially through the gameplay, yeah, of course, but the thing that caused the majority of the interest in Smash in the first place were the characters included in it, that much is obvious.

Like I said, had we received Dragon King, it undoubtedly would've done worse than Smash, commercially. Chances are it wouldn't have even made it out of Japan, like the original plan for Smash 64. A sequel would be even more unlikely. Possible, sure, but unlikely. The characters are what draw the fans in (for the most part), the gameplay is generally what causes them to stay (though if they kept the gameplay and changed it to all original characters, many would jump ship).

Additionally, games with Nintnedo characters have sold less over time. SS and Other M did worse than previous games. Like Galaxy did better, it did worse than Brawl and worse than Mario 64.
That's not entirely true. Most series have fluctuated. The second Zelda game on a system never sells as well as the first. Overtime, starting with OoT, MM sold worse, then WW sold better than MM, TP did better than WW (though not the Gamecube version), and SS didn't do as well as TP. The only consistency is that the first Zelda on the system sells better (as do most series) because it has a longer time on the market and usually is on the market when the console is at its peak, not afterwards. Corruption did better than Echoes, there has been no consistent decline in Metroid either. Awakening has been the best selling FE in a long time, AC is doing ridiculously in Japan, better than ever before, Galaxy 1 & 2 both sold better than Sunshine (Galaxy isn't in the same series as Brawl, they're not comparable), DKCR did better than all previous DK games since the original DKC, Kirby's as profitable as it ever was, very few major Nintendo series are in chronic unavoidable decline. The next Zelda (not the WW remake) and Metroid games will almost definitely sell better than SS and Other M, as long as the Wii U has at least a decent player base, and the games arrive in the next few years, because the system also matters.

There is enough to say the characters are not moving the game. Not to mention while many of Nintendo's series declined in sales, Smash goes up. Characters are likely not the reason. Especially in a genre with VERY low sales. The reason Smash sells is accessibility (though replayability and Nintendo content help).
The characters are obviously moving the game. They aren't the only thing moving the game, that much is true, the gameplay does play not an insignificant part, but the majority is the characters. Do you really mean to say that if Smash Bros had only ever had original fighters, it would be in the same position it is today? That's just totally unrealistic.

Smash isn't the only accessible game series in the world, yet it sells better than 90% of other "accessible" series, if not more. Plus, there are many "accessible" game series that sell very poorly, even if they are easy to understand and play proficiently. How are people even going to be drawn to accessibility in a game they haven't played before? They know Mario, they know Link, they know Pikachu, they know some other character, they like those games, they buy Smash. Sure that doesn't apply to every person who's bought Smash, but the majority.

Sorry the reply was late, was busy.

Speaking of Golden Sun. If a character gets in, which do you think it will be?

My brother is a fan of the series but I personally haven't played it. Issac is usually thrown around but I know he apparently has a son named Matthew. Or maybe even Felix will be added...
I don't know enough to make any logical guesses. :l
Unless either Camelot requests Matthew, or Sakurai is aware of some hypothetical upcoming GS4 that features Matthew as the protagonist (unlikely - for a number of reasons), chances are it'd be Isaac. Like SSBF said, he's the Marth of his series, and is by far the most popular, well-known, and iconic (teenage Isaac).

Hey quick question, during melee and brawl was Isaac the only gs character brought up or was Felix also requested.
Pre-Brawl Isaac was the only GS character with a notable amount of support, and really the only realistic choice, but Felix did have some support as well. IIRC people went with the whole recency argument.

I don't think his AT technique or even Sakurai's comments about him on the DOJO (which people like to misconstrue) indicate that Sakurai has no faith in his playability either, but I do think this comment does:
Sakurai said:
One thing that was kind of a challenge is that we haven't had a lot of new characters from Nintendo since Captain Olimar [that could work well in a fighting game]; a lot of games have been Mario titles or new iterations of existing series.
There's a difference between Sakurai not thinking the character merited inclusion (which is what people originally thought this statement was referring to) at the time of Brawl, and it's another for Sakurai to think a character wouldn't work well in a fighting game. The first can be changed if the series gains enough merit (which I believe Starfy has with it's international release that did decently - though a follow up would've helped), but if Sakurai thinks the character itself wouldn't work, it's not too likely he'd change his mind, given Starfy hasn't really expanded too much since pre-Brawl, potential-wise.

I also thinks this means Starfy was never (seriously) planned for Brawl, unless Sakurai is lying (which developers do sometimes, but... I wouldn't count on).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I used to think this too, but when I watched the prologue and Starfy's overall personality in the games, I think the way he was handled isn't a way of Sakurai telling us that he's not caring to make him playable NECESSARILY. The quote even there when showed Starfy out had him say this after the supposedly dooming "Why did you even come here"-line:

"But that's part of his charm".

And that's true. I think he might have referred to Starfy's clumsiness and how it can at times, come in the way of fighters, much like to his people around (This guy dropped the jar where the baddy was contained, forgets his moves every game and is generally absentminded.). Dojikko much?

I mean, I don't like the execution either, but I'd take either that Sakurai has something against this star prince, (because"heylookImadeStarfyaGoldeenofAssistTrophiesjustforyouStarfy-fanswhatdoyoulikecan'tyouseethahecan'tbeplayableheplainsucks)
Or took the remaining resources of what he had as a playable and transferred them to AT. I still have been wondering if Squirtle actually replaced Starfy (because Squirtle has the similar Hi-Hat Spin as Down Tilt).

But like Opossum, this is how I see these things too. I was offended badly when I saw he treated Starfy and just wish that either he does it better for the fans this time, or just don't include him at all. Anything than making a joke again if he's not willing to make him playable.

N30N: So does this again mean that most of the characters as ATs are just what he thought were popular requests but didn't seem fit to the fighting game or haven't EVER HEARD OF THEM?

The latter feels somewhat implied but it'd be ridiculous still.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I feel really out of touch with the modern gaming demographic. There is so much Nintendo hate nowadays, and many are saying the Wii U will perform worse than the GameCube (lol no). Third-parties are outright even laughing when a question is brought up whether they will support the Wii U (extremely childish).

Its going to be quite a shock to these gamers when the PS4 and next XBOX end up doing worse than their predecessors. I think the home console market in general is headed for a contraction (a contraction would have happened this generation if it were not for the Wii demographic).

I think if the Wii U does not rebound before the end of this year, Iwata will be gone by the end of 2014. I also think if Iwata steps down, Sakurai won't come back to direct another Smash Bros. Iwata and Sakurai are very close (Sakurai has worked under Iwata since he was 18), and it was Iwata's insistence that Sakurai even came back for Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
N30N: So does this again mean that most of the characters as ATs are just what he thought were popular requests but didn't seem fit to the fighting game or haven't EVER HEARD OF THEM?

The latter feels somewhat implied but it'd be ridiculous still.
Sakurai had different reasons for including different characters as ATs... there really can't be one solid rule for becoming an AT. Some where probably considered for playability at one point, some were added because they couldn't be made playable for one reason or another, some were due to popularity, some were probably due to what they could bring... or a combination of factors.

Starfy was probably added as an AT because he was relatively popular and notable, though it could be that Sakurai didn't envision him as playable but though he should have some role.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Starfy was probably added as an AT because he was relatively popular and notable, though it could be that Sakurai didn't envision him as playable but though he should have some role.
Yeah. But damn. I just feel offended and bitter towards Sakurai about that even today. Starfy's appearance in Brawl hasn't ever made me happy so far. And this comes from one of his biggest fans. Seriously, I just wish I could tell that to his face and demand for better representation because as a fan I just feel very offended. This is not what Starfy was to me.

Ah well, like developers should care if they offend one in millions. But really.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Wait, people who are diehard Fire emblem fans do not want Chrom?

It's like me and Diddy are the only ones who support him.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Well, apparently he's not "interesting" enough. Most of them envision him to be quarter-clone of Marth.

Die-hard FE fans have the right to support any FE lord they want, not just Chrom.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The two main impediments for Chrom about why there does not seem to be much hype for him as a prospective newcomer are:
1. Being seen as bland and uninteresting (due to his similarities to Ike).
2. People who have played FE13 preferring the other main characters over him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah. But damn. I just feel offended and bitter towards Sakurai about that even today. Starfy's appearance in Brawl hasn't ever made me happy so far. And this comes from one of his biggest fans. Seriously, I just wish I could tell that to his face and demand for better representation because as a fan I just feel very offended. This is not what Starfy was to me.

Ah well, like developers should care if they offend one in millions. But really.
It is a bit of a low blow to make Starfy one of the only "attackable" ATs for really no purpose. I mean, him being kinda weak is one thing, but the fact that he can also be "killed"... it really isn't Starfy's best representation. I guess most people might just be grateful he was included as an AT, I was with Isaac, but then again my only complain with Isaac's AT was that he sounded like a little girl. :smirk:

Maybe this time around, assuming Starfy's role doesn't change, he'll make him a little stronger, and choose another AT that you can attack. Preferably DHD. :awesome:
Or, you know, just change his attack to that star dash thing he does, that'd be much better. Or spinning with Moe. Though the regular spin he does is the most iconic...

Diehard fans can't even agree on who they do want. :rolleyes:

I feel really out of touch with the modern gaming demographic. There is so much Nintendo hate nowadays, and many are saying the Wii U will perform worse than the GameCube (lol no). Third-parties are outright even laughing when a question is brought up whether they will support the Wii U (extremely childish).

Its going to be quite a shock to these gamers when the PS4 and next XBOX end up doing worse than their predecessors. I think the home console market in general is headed for a contraction (a contraction would have happened this generation if it were not for the Wii demographic).

I think if the Wii U does not rebound before the end of this year, Iwata will be gone by the end of 2014. I also think if Iwata steps down, Sakurai won't come back to direct another Smash Bros. Iwata and Sakurai are very close (Sakurai has worked under Iwata since he was 18), and it was Iwata's insistence that Sakurai even came back for Brawl.
Agreed, overall. People who seem to think Nintendo will be the only one that will do worse (which they will, I mean - the Wii is the Wii) are in for quite the surprise. They're making more unfounded assumptions about a system that's only been out a few months and has sold a few million units than one that hasn't even been officially revealed, and we know like nothing about. The market is changing, and most don't seem to realize that beyond "durr, Nintendo is dooooomed! Again!" :dizzy::facepalm:

And personally I wouldn't be too upset if Iwata left. You're right in that it could affect Sakurai's future involvement, but Smash is also his baby, so I guess we'll see. Maybe someone new would bring some innovation or change we wouldn't get with Sakurai though...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Good ****, N3ON.

Honestly, third parties have been an issue, even when we get games from them. The big issue every time there's an exclusive is how no one buys them - something that needs to be greatly averted with Bayonetta 2 in particular.

Though, I do think we'll see some sort of contraction, but likely due to the economy more than anything else. The only other things I think could hurt it is all this are the DRM stuff and the rumors of the 720 requiring to be online at all times (you would effectively lose most of the FGC with this decision). Still, I don't think the WiiU will prove to messianic or anything like that.

I just don't see how Chrom would add anything new other than to be the middleman of Marth and Ike which just sounds uninspired.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Apparently, gamers today only care about graphics and how nice a game can look (that and space marines :troll:). I don't understand the irrational Nintendo hate. Heck I don't understand hate for any of the systems. They are all fun and unique in their own rights. I doubt that the Wii U will perform worse than the Gamecube, but even then that would not be so bad. It could always perform like the Saturn. :troll: I'm confident that Nintendo will be around for some time, if only because of their name.

I agree that we will see a contraction. Contractions aren't bad. They are a natural part of the economy and the gaming industry will still have more than enough consumers to survive.

I'm curious as to why you think this. Why would Iwata leave?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrom has become... quite...

It's like Zoroark all over again. (-l_l-);;;;;

I've usually been smart man enough to keep myself away from forums or other places than blurt around hate like there's no damn tomorrow. Still, I've yet get to experience Wii U in it's best. Playing NSMBU as a test-out in certain malls doesn't do it for me. And the library's not... too engaging at the moment, especially since Rayman Legends seems took out as an exclusive.

Anyone wanting to share their thoughts about Wii U so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom